Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 10:14:40 PM EDT
Has anyone tried to put the heavy tungsten weights from a H2 or H3 buffer into a DPMS .308 buffer? If the weights fit, it would be a cheaper way to make a heavier buffer for the DPMS .308.

What about those Pinewood Derby weights?

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I never tried that. I ordered one of the heavy buffers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got a couple buffers in from heavybuffers.com...you can feel the quality immediately. All my buffers needs will be settled there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#3]
They sell just the weights too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They sell just the weights too.
View Quote
Who does? I'm interested in getting a couple to try.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone tried pinewood derby tungsten weights?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#6]
People have tried all sorts of weights.  Slugs, lead shot, washers, tungsten weights, tungsten powder, sprung weights, steel.

The different AR15 buffer weights are comprised of varying mixes of steel and or tungsten weights.

Since the modern SR-25 era AR10's use AR15 buffer diameters, but are shorter for the carbine and rifle length extension tubes, you can use buffer weights interchangeably from within the buffer bodies.

The important thing is to know what you are trying to accomplish with your cyclic rate, and dead blow effect for going into battery.  Here is an example of several different AR15 carbines being evaluated with different buffers and ammo, showing cyclic rate and carrier bounce:

AR-15 Buffer Test

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People have tried all sorts of weights.  Slugs, lead shot, washers, tungsten weights, tungsten powder, sprung weights, steel.

The different AR15 buffer weights are comprised of varying mixes of steel and or tungsten weights.

Since the modern SR-25 era AR10's use AR15 buffer diameters, but are shorter for the carbine and rifle length extension tubes, you can use buffer weights interchangeably from within the buffer bodies.

The important thing is to know what you are trying to accomplish with your cyclic rate, and dead blow effect for going into battery.  Here is an example of several different AR15 carbines being evaluated with different buffers and ammo, showing cyclic rate and carrier bounce:

AR-15 Buffer Test

http://youtu.be/575Q0O41u5s
View Quote

Interesting. That was a lot more bounce than I would have expected.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#8]
For an AR10 build, this is one of the reasons why I talk about trouble-shooting the gun with high speed camera to get the gas port and recoil system balanced out.

It would be very fun to do a video comparing the DPMS AP4 16" CLGS to ArmaLite DEF10, for example.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top