Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/25/2014 3:17:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Wish it was melonite finished. I really like my CMMG 8.5 inch with melonite, and have several people that would love to have an upper like mine without the cost.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#3]
interdasting...  that is a helluva deaal.  better thatn the ones at red barn armory or the milspec ones at aero precision.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
interdasting...  that is a helluva deaal.  better thatn the ones at red barn armory or the milspec ones at aero precision.
View Quote

When you say "better", are you implying a better price or better quality because, from you post, I inferred better quality...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wish it was melonite finished. I really like my CMMG 8.5 inch with melonite, and have several people that would love to have an upper like mine without the cost.
View Quote

It IS "nitrided," so while it may not be coated by someone who paid for the privilege to use the term "Melonite," it does have that type of coating.  What I'd like to know about it is who made it, and what type of nitrided coating it has, since both of those points make a difference.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When you say "better", are you implying a better price or better quality because, from you post, I inferred better quality...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i spoke awkwardly.  

I have no doubt that the aero barrels which are tested per mil specs are better quality, what I shoudl have said is that is a remarkable price.  Perhaps its too good to be true.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It IS "nitrided," so while it may not be coated by someone who paid for the privilege to use the term "Melonite," it does have that type of coating.  What I'd like to know about it is who made it, and what type of nitrided coating it has, since both of those points make a difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way I understand it nitride treatment is not the same as ferritic nitrocarburizing although it is a nitrocarburizing process, and can lead to some issues if the salt bath was done with the barrel extension in place. I know from several barrels done both ways that I have here the different finishes do not look the same.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
For that short of barrel though I would want a 1:7 instead of a 1:8.  1:7's stabilize subs better, which is the point of the .300 anyway (if used with a suppressor).
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The way I understand it nitride treatment is not the same as ferritic nitrocarburizing although it is a nitrocarburizing process, and can lead to some issues if the salt bath was done with the barrel extension in place. I know from several barrels done both ways that I have here the different finishes do not look the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My experience with Ferritic Nitrocarburizing has been on using it to harden components such as idler shafts and other bearing surfaces.  It puts a nice "candy shell" on the part and can be done a little more easily than traditional induction hardening, etc.  It does give a nice dark gray or almost black finish if done well but can also have a slightly splotchy look depending on how the process was applied.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For that short of barrel though I would want a 1:7 instead of a 1:8.  1:7's stabilize subs better, which is the point of the .300 anyway (if used with a suppressor).
View Quote

This ^^^  I have no idea why manufacturers continue to insist on churning out short barrels with 1/8 twists.  AAC switched the standard over to 1/7 for a reason...and that was a while ago at this point.  So there is really no excuse.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 1/7 stabilizes very heavy subs better. Like 250 grain. 220s are fine with a 1/8.
The really heavies are almost all cast as well, and many people wont shoot them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I ordered one of the 8.5" barrels and plan on shooting 203gr and 220gr subsonics through a suppressor should I be worried about baffle strikes?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Just ordered one myself and I don't really care about subsonics or how it looks. I'm pretty sure it's perfect for 125 grainers and the price is phenomenal compared to other 8.5" barrels I looked for.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well I ordered one of the 8.5" barrels and plan on shooting 203gr and 220gr subsonics through a suppressor should I be worried about baffle strikes?
View Quote

No, as long as your threads are reasonably concentric to the bore. 1/8 stabilizes 220 & below great.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup, bought 1...  I'll see if it gets here before Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which one?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:29:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Wish they listed the thread pitch just to be sure. 5/8 x 24 I'm assuming?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wish they listed the thread pitch just to be sure. 5/8 x 24 I'm assuming?
View Quote

One would certainly assume that to be the case.  If not, send it back.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Which one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which one?

PTAC AR15 300BO PL 8.5" 1/8 416R SS
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I ordered one of the stainless and two of the nitride barrels.  One for me and one is for my buddy and his brother's build.  What has the typical shipping time been like out of PSA lately?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I ordered one for a pistol build. They already have my order ready; however, it will be an in-store pick-up, not being mailed. so IDK if that affects their shipping time. I have another order there to be shipped and it is still pending even though it is several days older.

I really don't care about great accuracy. I am building the gun for fun, and I will most likely be shooting 150 fmj. I do not have a suppressor, but I certainly will be wearing hearing pro!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I haven't recieved shipping confirmation. I'll be suprised if I get 1 next week.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:08:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll buy one at that price to build a cheap upper to test my reloads once I get started.  Better to make that barrel my guinea pig than my Noveske.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Tracking received. I should have it in a few days.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Palmetto tends to be really slow with shipping. So if you need something fast, look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Ordered Thursday night and got my tracking number this a.m.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm guessing (based solely on the price and the rare-for-a-cheap-barrel twist rate)  that they may be same Bergara barrels being sold by Sportsmans Guide.  Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the SG barrels?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm guessing (based solely on the price and the rare-for-a-cheap-barrel twist rate)  that they may be same Bergara barrels being sold by Sportsmans Guide.  Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the SG barrels?
View Quote

My "chamber was too short" barrel was a Bergara barrel.  That does NOT mean that the SG barrels are necessarily from the same lot. It looks like there is NO feedback on their site for those barrels...which I think is odd.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought one, and it's already on the pistol. It looks fantastic, but now y'all have me worried about the chamber.

It'll be a week or two more before I'll have everything complete to shoot it and find out. I plan on trying the Fiocci 150gr and Rem 220 subs first.

I will eventually just reload, so a short chamber doesn't bother me a whole lot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I bought one, and it's already on the pistol. It looks fantastic, but now y'all have me worried about the chamber.

It'll be a week or two more before I'll have everything complete to shoot it and find out. I plan on trying the Fiocci 150gr and Rem 220 subs first.

I will eventually just reload, so a short chamber doesn't bother me a whole lot.
View Quote

Let me quantify "way too short" for you.  With my barrel, with a PTG "GO" (minimum chamber depth) gauge, the bolt would NOT get all the way through the barrel extension.  The barrel would not accept a case and allow the bolt to close, PERIOD.

Find a 300 Blackout case and see if you can chamber it AND close your bolt.  It you can, you don't have a major problem.  But if you can't..
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Got mine delivered and it looks good overall. No idea on chamber yet. Not dimpled so I'm going with the YHM clamp on gas block. Finish is smooth overall. Pleased so far.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Mine showed up today, I ordered it last week, this is by far the fastest I have ever gotten anything from PSA.  The barrel looks very good, I am actually pretty impressed with the fit and finish.  The threads appear to be concentric when I mounted my suppressor, the chamber may be a little tight, but I wont know for sure until I get to put it together and test fire it.  As long as it is capable of at least 2-3 moa at 100 yards it's a damn good deal for $80.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mine showed up today, I ordered it last week, this is by far the fastest I have ever gotten anything from PSA.  The barrel looks very good, I am actually pretty impressed with the fit and finish.  The threads appear to be concentric when I mounted my suppressor, the chamber may be a little tight, but I wont know for sure until I get to put it together and test fire it.  As long as it is capable of at least 2-3 moa at 100 yards it's a damn good deal for $80.
View Quote

No reason it should not shoot MOA. Hell, my CMMG 8.5" with the older 1/8 twist will do groups down to .7" with the Barnes black tips on a bench. I do not see much difference between these barrels unless the steel, or coating is different. But, it was mentioned earlier that the coatings apparently are the same. These are less than half what I paid for that CMMG.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No reason it should not shoot MOA. Hell, my CMMG 8.5" with the older 1/8 twist will do groups down to .7" with the Barnes black tips on a bench. I do not see much difference between these barrels unless the steel, or coating is different. But, it was mentioned earlier that the coatings apparently are the same. These are less than half what I paid for that CMMG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has anyone gotten out and shot these yet?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#35]
How are these barrels shooting?
Does anyone have the size of the gas ports on the 10.5 inch and the 8.5 inch barrels?
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine shoots ok and operated  fine despite having the measure at the gas block at .748"
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I have one. I shot it for groups and measured the gas port.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any results?

They have the SS version for $80 too.

They also have free shipping on orders over $100 today.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone run 208 subs and a can? Are they stable? Baffle strikes??
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Any results?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any results?

But PSA is out of stock on pistol length gas tubs and gas tube roll pins... :(
going someplace else to buy them negates the free shipping you get for a $100 order
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Couldn't resist... bought one in 10.5 to compliment my higher end build. Budget/beater upper, here I come
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:50:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Couldn't resist... bought one in 10.5 to compliment my higher end build. Budget/beater upper, here I come
View Quote

I just ordered the 10.5 too!  Should hide nicely under my 10" lite rail

Is there any way I can test it to see if the threads are concentric with the bore?   I don't want to ruin my supressor.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:21:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Is there any way I can test it to see if the threads are concentric with the bore?   I don't want to ruin my supressor.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe use a dowel?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:48:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I usually just mount it and shine a light up through the chamber and look down it to make sure it's lined up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Has anyone tried the 203gr subsonic projectiles for the 300 Blackout  in a 308 ?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#46]
That might be good enough, it's the Thompson machine isis2 in 40cal  

Gives a bit of breathing room.     I still might take it to a shop with v blocks and granite or a lathe between centers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#47]
any more input on these barrels?

Is a $250 barrel really that much better than the $80.00 PTAC? How acurate are they
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#48]
PSA has stepped their shipping game up. I'm set to receive mine tomorrow and my order was placed the day before yesterday
.. what?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#49]
any pics guys ?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#50]
I hope to get mine all put together this next week and see what it's capable of.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top