Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2014 4:23:21 PM EDT
</a>" />

Here's what I have so far. I assembled it today with a OD green defense Package ambi safety (I'm left handed). I also received my upper parts kit from Amazon which leads me to my 1st observation. Do not buy the $20  upper build kit from amazon (x-treme precision is the actual vendor). The F/A was smooth with no grooves, the pic showed a mil-spec F/A. The dust cover rod was knurled at the end instead of using a c-clip and last the dang door latch was too proud so when I shut it the only way I could get it back open was to take the rod out. They claim made in the USA, there is no way.

Second, my PSA lower kit ( that took almost a month to get here even though it was in stock) is much better quality than ones I have bought from them previously. The fit and finish was excellent, I see on the website there are two types, I have no clue which one I got but I don't think it was the P-tac, LOL.It was the smoothest assembly ever with no scratches any where this probably has alot to do with the mega receiver which leads to observation 3...

Third, the fit and finish of the Mega upper and lower are well, perfect. There is no play and I mean none, I haven't even screwed in the receive slop do-hicky yet, since there is no slop. All the pins slid in perfectly, there was still good resistance but it was all smooth. The receivers (bought separately ) are the best I've ever used including Colts.

The barrel will be here tomorrow (a 16" M-4 GM chrome lined), I can't make my mind up on the hand guard, I know I want a railed free float unit. I have decided on a black flag adjustable gas block and standard gas tube.  Any ideas on the forearm would be appreciated,  I like my YHM 12" on my other 7.62 but wouldn't mind a slimmer lighter version. Oh and I got the scope for like $135, so no grief about the weird bio-hazard symbol, LOL.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want a nice light weight quad rail look at the Seekins SAR rails.  A 13" SAR rail weight 12.5oz including the barrel nut and has 4 built in QD sling points.        

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it but $250 for a 12"er, ouch!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is the best price I've found for them. Significantly less than $250:

http://www.capitolarmory.com/seekins-precision-sar-quad-rail-handguard.html

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]
^ $157 is a smokin' price for a 13"
I like my ALG m-lok tube and will be buying more
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The 13" one is $190, a lot better than $250. Its funny how they always quote the carbine length then add $15-20 an inch, lol. Joe bobs has the m-lock for $100. I wonder what it would look like with rails and how much the rails run.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 13" one is $190, a lot better than $250. Its funny how they always quote the carbine length then add $15-20 an inch, lol. Joe bobs has the m-lock for $100. I wonder what it would look like with rails and how much the rails run.
View Quote

Their rails are $20 a pop I beleive (free shipping direct from ALG) and are aluminum. Polymer m-lok sections should be available much cheaper from magpul (or their vendors).
How many rail sections you need determines if it's a smart financial choice I guess.

MVG (m-lok vertical grip from magpul) attaches directly to the tube so no need for a rail, ALG tubes have an attachment point built in for sling swivel, would need 1-2 rails for front sight and a weapon light. What else though...?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#7]
The 13" mlok seems like the way to go, lots of options and pretty good reviews. The super thin profile is growing  on me.
The only problem is getting it to work with the OD green furniture. I was going to put OD grip panels on the railed handguard. I don't think they would fit with this thin forearm and don't know if I can paint it and not have it look like crap.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:07:39 AM EDT
[#8]
You should be able to paint the handguard with Alumahyde/Alumahyde II. That's what I plan on doing with mine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#9]
</a>" />

here are the parts so far. Might paint the mount and or scope OD as well, haven't decided yet.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
It's getting there.  I may end up going with the GM barrel as well, what is your opinion of it fit/finish wise? The AR 47 was interesting, but it appears they are out of business. Website still comes up, but emails bounce back.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#11]
The fit and finish are excellent, the bore is smooth and uniform and there are no burrs to be seen, the chroming is very uniform and not sloppy like other manufacturers. Even the barrel packaging was excellent and well thought out. Plus it has the 1-9.5" twist everyone raves about. I bought the alg M-lok handguards today and a kies adjustable gas block, I'm going to see if I can slow everything down with that vs. my last build where I used a xp buffer spring. My only hold up now is the YHM 7.62x39 bolt, the one I'm looking at doesn't look legit to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess I'll go with the GM barrel then.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Ugh, thanks for reminding me that I need more BADASS

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like I'm going to end up with a Liberty bolt. It's more than I wanted to spend but it seems to be the best available and this is not a low end build.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#15]
</a>" />

Done! Shoots awsome this was my target after sight in smallest group (covered by sling) was .80, biggest was 2" center to center with wolf black box @ 90 yards.

</a>" />

I went with a kies adjustable gas block instead of the xp springs this time. This made a huge difference and don't think I'll go back to xp springs, this is a super light very soft shooting gun and have had no issues out of my first 70 rounds. My only complaint about the gas block is that the gas tube is screwed into place with the smallest allen wrench I've ever seen, why go to all that effort when you could have just used a roll pin? I foresee losing or breaking that allen key and having to drill it out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w255/russellcl/kiesgb003.jpg</a>" />

Done! Shoots awsome this was my target after sight in smallest group (covered by sling) was .80, biggest was 2" center to center with wolf black box @ 90 yards.

http://<a href=http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w255/russellcl/kiesgb001.jpg</a>" />

I went with a kies adjustable gas block instead of the xp springs this time. This made a huge difference and don't think I'll go back to xp springs, this is a super light very soft shooting gun and have had no issues out of my first 70 rounds. My only complaint about the gas block is that the gas tube is screwed into place with the smallest allen wrench I've ever seen, why go to all that effort when you could have just used a roll pin? I foresee losing or breaking that allen key and having to drill it out.
View Quote

Coolio, what did the Kies cost you?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the Kies are $35.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Yup, what he said right around $35.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yup, what he said right around $35.
View Quote

Am I being dense? Why would you need to adjust that tiny allen wrench more than once?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#20]
If you ever need to take the block off, say for another build once you wear out the barrel or if you burst the gas tube, it will be a pain. I just don't see the purpose of complicating a proven design. I have an upper that has been used on 3 different guns, I recycle parts pretty often.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you ever need to take the block off, say for another build once you wear out the barrel or if you burst the gas tube, it will be a pain. I just don't see the purpose of complicating a proven design. I have an upper that has been used on 3 different guns, I recycle parts pretty often.
View Quote

gotcha
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh I'd be thinking about lubing that skinny screw with some good anti-seize.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#23]
You ought to see the Allan key in real life, it is the thickness of mechanical pencil lead, maybe even thinner.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#24]
What bore diameter is the GM barrel? Their website doesn't list it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What bore diameter is the GM barrel? Their website doesn't list it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#28]

check this 5 shot group I shot at 85 yards with wolf ammo, this was the best group but the wolf it totally capable of 1" at 85 yards with random fliers every so often,
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top