User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i'm really impressed w/ the G2, its just that IMO there is basically no scenarios where a 308 rifle is a better choice than an intermediate cartridge tactically.  The only nice it really in an improvement in is for fix position snipers who need more energy on target at range, or who could benefit from it, and a high power in 6 or 6.5 or 7mm would be way better than lobbing 308 rainbows.  Any other scenario having more ammo, less recoil and a lighter weapon that enables you to shoot from non convention positions quickly.

The only use a civilian would have for it would be to make more humane kills on game at ranges outside the capabalities of 6.x, and again would be better served w/ 260 rem or whatever.

There, I hope I have talkde myself out of getting one...
View Quote

As a prepper I already have hunting rifles.  The G2 SASS would be more appropriate for what I would euphemistically refer to as "zombies."  In a SHTF scenario "civilians" become snipers when defending their AO.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
i'm really impressed w/ the G2, its just that IMO there is basically no scenarios where a 308 rifle is a better choice than an intermediate cartridge tactically.  The only nice it really in an improvement in is for fix position snipers who need more energy on target at range, or who could benefit from it, and a high power in 6 or 6.5 or 7mm would be way better than lobbing 308 rainbows.  Any other scenario having more ammo, less recoil and a lighter weapon that enables you to shoot from non convention positions quickly.

The only use a civilian would have for it would be to make more humane kills on game at ranges outside the capabalities of 6.x, and again would be better served w/ 260 rem or whatever.

View Quote

Only temporarily you've talked yourself out of one. They definitely have plans for other calibers on the planning board.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:30:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone have a pic of the two styles of receivers or at least carriers side by side?
View Quote

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/the-dpms-gii-ap4-taking-the-tactical-308-beyond/28260/

Good picture of the BCG.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As a prepper I already have hunting rifles.  The G2 SASS would be more appropriate for what I would euphemistically refer to as "zombies."  In a SHTF scenario "civilians" become snipers when defending their AO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

don't confuse SHTF w/ TEOTWAWKI.  In all but the most unlikely and extreme scenarios, one won't be free to just snipe from his ammo fort w/o worry from the leviathan.

308 is a shitty long range cartridge, there i said it.  To get pills w/ really great BCs you need to upgrade to 06 or 300 WM and deal w/ more recoil and slower followup usp shots and reduced ability to call you own POI to help make faster followup shots.  

556 is wimpy energy wise, but its  external ballistics are virtually equal to 308 given similar barrel length and bullet shape.  I'd rather rapidly walk 5.56 fire into a target w/ wimpy glorified 22lr than fail to make a hit b/c i can't followthrough well ennough to quiclly call my own shots and adjust aim before I get shot or the targets gets away.   Not to mention how much more 556 ammo you can carry/afford to pratice w/ etc.  

The ONLY reason that 308 makes any martial sense is for countries or indiviuals that have metric shit tons of it. If you want a good long range catridge in a higher power than 5.56, look at 6.5 g,  or at 260 rem, 243 w/ long bullets, 6.5 creedmore or other 6 or 6.5 mm 308 based chamberings.  

Lol, maybe the yemeni guard should have got DPMS to work them up some 7 lb G2s that take AK mags rather than the 9lb colt to shoot up all the russian short they are stuck with. .
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:45:37 AM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone have a pic of the two styles of receivers or at least carriers side by side?

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/the-dpms-gii-ap4-taking-the-tactical-308-beyond/28260/

Good picture of the BCG.

Why are the measurements in that article metric?  Makes it difficult to read, have to stop and convert it all in my head, throws off the flow.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
don't confuse SHTF w/ TEOTWAWKI.  In all but the most unlikely and extreme scenarios, one won't be free to just snipe from his ammo fort w/o worry from the leviathan.

308 is a shitty long range cartridge, there i said it.  To get pills w/ really great BCs you need to upgrade to 06 or 300 WM and deal w/ more recoil and slower followup usp shots and reduced ability to call you own POI to help make faster followup shots.  

556 is wimpy energy wise, but its  external ballistics are virtually equal to 308 given similar barrel length and bullet shape.  I'd rather rapidly walk 5.56 fire into a target w/ wimpy glorified 22lr than fail to make a hit b/c i can't followthrough well ennough to quiclly call my own shots and adjust aim before I get shot or the targets gets away.   Not to mention how much more 556 ammo you can carry/afford to pratice w/ etc.  

The ONLY reason that 308 makes any martial sense is for countries or indiviuals that have metric shit tons of it. If you want a good long range catridge in a higher power than 5.56, look at 6.5 g,  or at 260 rem, 243 w/ long bullets, 6.5 creedmore or other 6 or 6.5 mm 308 based chamberings.  

Lol, maybe the yemeni guard should have got DPMS to work them up some 7 lb G2s that take AK mags rather than the 9lb colt to shoot up all the russian short they are stuck with. .
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok you hate 308, lets move on.  We are talking about the platform not the round.

I saw the g2 platform at shot and loved it.  Picked up a hunter the first time i found a deal on it.  The fit and finish are leaps and bounds ahead of the old DPMS 308 platform as well as most moderately priced ARs.  Mine has been 100% reliable with nearly 500 rounds through it, which is a first for me having owned 3 "ar10's".  Its lighter and better balanced with a 20" barrel than my SCAR 17 is with a 16" barrel.  Quick follow up shots are not an issue as the recoil is very mild.  Its been impressively accurate even with a 3x9 viper I use for hunting.

Overall a very impressive rifle, not sure its a game changer but it's definitely the rifle to beat.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Or get the Hunter, drop in a trigger of choice, shoot it as-is, decide if you want to cut it to 16" and open the gas port.

yes, weight is one thing.  Balance is another.  Again, hold a Thompson (heavier), then a Garand (lighter), and tell me which one you want to carry.
View Quote

Has anyone removed the gas block from a Hunter yet? Is it just a set-screw-type? Is it .750 diameter?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Has anyone removed the gas block from a Hunter yet? Is it just a set-screw-type? Is it .750 diameter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or get the Hunter, drop in a trigger of choice, shoot it as-is, decide if you want to cut it to 16" and open the gas port.

yes, weight is one thing.  Balance is another.  Again, hold a Thompson (heavier), then a Garand (lighter), and tell me which one you want to carry.

The one I saw at SHOT was .750" gas block journal, with set screw gas block that looks similar to a Midwest Industries gas block.  I'm interested to see what gas port diameter they used.  It should be around a .094" on a .308 Winchester 20" RLGS.

One thing I would say about this is that we haven't seen this type of response to any of the .308 AR10's over the past 21 years since the Stoner SR-25, which definitely was a game changer.

The GII is the next evolution that really has gotten both competitors' and customers' attention, and the fact that people are asking if it is a game changer indicate that it is.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
the fact that people are asking if it is a game changer indicate that it is.
View Quote

I will say DPMS did a good job with marketing. Whether it turns out to be a game changer or not, it was hyped up and had a fan club before any consumer ever touched one.
I am indifferent on the success of the GII and even after handling one, I still am not sold that it is a significantly better design that the SR-25/LR-308. It will be interesting to see where it goes in the coming years.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I will say DPMS did a good job with marketing. Whether it turns out to be a game changer or not, it was hyped up and had a fan club before any consumer ever touched one.
I am indifferent on the success of the GII and even after handling one, I still am not sold that it is a significantly better design that the SR-25/LR-308. It will be interesting to see where it goes in the coming years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They pre-loaded their dealers with them with promises to keep their mouths shut until the official release at SHOT.  As soon as media types posted pics on that Tuesday, people could go to stocking dealers and buy GII's.  They were available that week, and the following weeks after SHOT.

Unlike most other products we see at SHOT, this one actually was available.  I'm still watching the teething issues as things settle out.  Most guns go through 5-6 years of teething.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The one I saw at SHOT was .750" gas block journal, with set screw gas block that looks similar to a Midwest Industries gas block.  I'm interested to see what gas port diameter they used.  It should be around a .094" on a .308 Winchester 20" RLGS.

One thing I would say about this is that we haven't seen this type of response to any of the .308 AR10's over the past 21 years since the Stoner SR-25, which definitely was a game changer.

The GII is the next evolution that really has gotten both competitors' and customers' attention, and the fact that people are asking if it is a game changer indicate that it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many people can say they knew about the G2 before SHOT? The innovative design is getting the hype up all by itself, not the marketing. In the AR we've gotten numb to an overload of marketing this new gadget or that. It takes something really above board to create the attention the G2 has. BTW...I love the Hunter version.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok you hate 308, lets move on.  We are talking about the platform not the round.

I saw the g2 platform at shot and loved it.  Picked up a hunter the first time i found a deal on it.  The fit and finish are leaps and bounds ahead of the old DPMS 308 platform as well as most moderately priced ARs.  Mine has been 100% reliable with nearly 500 rounds through it, which is a first for me having owned 3 "ar10's".  Its lighter and better balanced with a 20" barrel than my SCAR 17 is with a 16" barrel.  Quick follow up shots are not an issue as the recoil is very mild.  Its been impressively accurate even with a 3x9 viper I use for hunting.

Overall a very impressive rifle, not sure its a game changer but it's definitely the rifle to beat.
View Quote

Yeah, sorry, the rifle really is a great thing.  My opinions on the martial utility of 308 aside, if wanted an all around hunting rifle for both stalking and shooting some distance from a stand i would get one, even in 308 and i spite of the brand stamped on the side.  It really is a leap ahead in a carryable high power autoloader.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't plan on sniping from my "ammo fort" and I don't worry about the "leviathan."  I live in a rural area and know every inch of my AO and the Marine Corps trained me very well.  I don't plan on making 1000 yard shots and the .308 ammo is more common that the odd calibers you mentioned.  My other rifle choice is the AR10A SuperSass and everyone is making .308 match ammo these days.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What war did the Dutch military use the AR10 design?
B.
View Quote

The Dutch AR-10's were used extensively in various brush wars in Africa where they were well regarded, if memory serves.

The Australians used AR-10's (unknown manufacture) in Vietnam where they performed very well.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:57:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Um, no. Australia used the L1A1 SLR (inch FAL) in Vietnam, along with the M16.
I never heard of their use while I lived there, nor did I ever see any in inventory.

Not sure where your info came from...

Mick

Quoted:

The Dutch AR-10's were used extensively in various brush wars in Africa where they were well regarded, if memory serves.

The Australians used AR-10's (unknown manufacture) in Vietnam where they performed very well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What war did the Dutch military use the AR10 design?
B.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm really liking the GII recon, especially the opinions of weight/balance from the members here. But will it eat surplus ball like my Bushmaster MOE? Not enough function reports (or spare parts) out yet for me to make the buy.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#17]
My take. As a G2 owner. Its the best of all worlds.

Its pretty light.
It takes nato ammo. Which is always commercially available, and a great choice for SHTF scenarios.
Does everything 5.56 does better, and more.

Only negative to me is capacity and weight of ammo. Which is getting much better as Magpul has the 25 rounders.

I think in reality in any scenario you wont be taking shots at live targets, be it humans or animals, past 600 yards. I think for this the .308 is a great cartridge, which also can reach out further, but lets be serious guys. Shooting steel at 1k is one thing, try shooting a moving target at that distance with any of the supposedly better wild cats mentioned in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#18]
The fact that other major AR10 companies are doing everything they can to make lower profile, lighter AR10's, indicates to me that the GII is a game changer.

However, the Colt 901 really was the first AR10 to be introduced 2 years ago with a very short AR10 BCG and receiver set, which is now being expanded with the MARC 901 line-up.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are other options for custom lightweight uppers that pin to existing DPMS LR 308 lowers. A lot of people have the old heavy LR 308s not being used because they are so heavy.

There are several companies like Wilson Combat and Larue coming out with light rifles but most of the weight reduction comes from pencil barrels and light receiver. Others have redesigned the entire system that make the rifle feel completely different like a soft shooting AR15  3 gun rifle. The key is the reciprocating weight, we'll see what kind of reviews pop up in a year.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Reciprocating mass is the key. The G2 BCG is only a bit heavier than a JP Low mass .308 carrier.
That means the short bolt carrier systems like the G2 have even more potential for mass reduction.
Also, the G2 system feels like a regular AR. No matter what you do with old style .308 lowers by adding lightweight uppers, they still feel unwieldy in comparison due to the length of the lower. You notice it immediately when you handle the two types side by side...

Mick

Quoted:

There are other options for custom lightweight uppers that pin to existing DPMS LR 308 lowers. A lot of people have the old heavy LR 308s not being used because they are so heavy.

There are several companies like Wilson Combat and Larue coming out with light rifles but most of the weight reduction comes from pencil barrels and light receiver. Others have redesigned the entire system that make the rifle feel completely different like a soft shooting AR15  3 gun rifle. The key is the reciprocating weight, we'll see what kind of reviews pop up in a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes.  If you are using the LR-308 lower receiver as a starting point, the boat has sailed, and you aren't on it.

If you ever get to handle an original ArmaLite AR10 from the 1950's-1960's, you will ask why someone hasn't done this sooner.

The GII and Colt 901 get back to the length of the original receiver profile.  As soon as I held one and shot it, I kept looking at it and wanted to break it open immediately to look at the BCG.  It's much shorter than an SR-25 or LR-308, but it had a larger diameter extension tube, buffer, and recoil spring.

The Colt 901 receiver set reminds me of the original AR10 receiver set profile, when looking at the bolt carrier raceway, BCG length, and overall length.

The original AR10's feel amazing in your hands, unlike the 9" long receivers of the 1993-2013 era.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#22]
You think 1/2" in receiver length makes that much difference?
I can't tell the difference and with the light weight most don't know they aren't holding an AR15.  IMO the reciprocating mass and tuning of the gas system makes all the difference in the world just like a 18" 3 gun setup with a light carrier and rifle length gas system. ANYTHING with a carbine gas system will not feel like a properly set up rifle gas gun.
On the other hand being able to buy a 7lb 260 will pull some people that way and they will forget about trying to build a long range AR15.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#23]
The G2 Hunter was a game changer for me. I couldn't decide between a M1A or AR10. I saw the Hunter at the price point I needed and bought it. So far it's awesome. The only issue I had is it came with a 4 round mag and not the 19 as advertised but the vender is correcting that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:42:49 AM EDT
[#24]
When they come out with a 260rem I might get one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a Aero Precision M5 build. Do you all think that a lot of people will sell their older AR 10s to get one of these G II with all of its weight savings and new features?

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/coax31/IMG950564_zps792a1e73.jpg

View Quote

I did.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

One thing that is kinda taking the competitive shooting world by storm is action shooting and endurance type events blended together with precision long range rifle, team matches where one has a carbine and the other a long gun, things like that.  Steel Safari, Thunderbeast Challenge, Sniper Adventure Challenge, Sniper's Hide Cup, and many other matches that have made guys realize that their boat anchor long guns are a major weight penalty consideration when having to actually carry the things, versus wheel them off the back of the truck to the bench.

I personally have never been interested in riding a bench in competition. Those of us who love the thrill and speed of 3-Gun, but also love these types of practical field matches (with stages separated by rough terrain, elevation, requirements for a lot of positional shooting, and lightweight but accurate guns) have really found a relatively uncharted discipline that is very challenging and fulfilling, bringing out the quintessential skills that a rifleman needs in the real world.

The GII is really a major consideration for those of us who have been running heavy AR10 gas guns already in these matches, especially since there are so many barricades and kneeling position shots.  A heavy bolt gun doesn't do so well in the balance department, and neither does a legacy AR10.  Enter the GII.  That is why I say it not only appeals to hunters, but the action shooters as well.  If you look at heavy metal division for 3-gun, you can't beat the GII with anything else out there, all other components the same.

Then look at the caliber conversion folks.  The 1993-2013 AR10 receiver set and BCG is so huge, it really turns a lot of hunters off.  The GII is the weight of a lightweight brush gun, but now has the architecture to support a wide range of cartridges that will be another game-changing market.  Mark my words:  You are going to see some really hot developments from this design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a rock river lar-8 , great rifle super accurate and reliable but it was like packing a boat anchor around . I sold it and decided I would just use a bolt gun for reaching out alittle farther . After handling a gII hunter I think I may wade back into the 308 game . I agree with others I think guys who have guns set up for long range shooting comps or range use will probably not see a need to sell there 1000 yd rifle and run out and grab a new gII , but I think new buyers or guys who hunt will be the driving force on these guns.

One thing that is kinda taking the competitive shooting world by storm is action shooting and endurance type events blended together with precision long range rifle, team matches where one has a carbine and the other a long gun, things like that.  Steel Safari, Thunderbeast Challenge, Sniper Adventure Challenge, Sniper's Hide Cup, and many other matches that have made guys realize that their boat anchor long guns are a major weight penalty consideration when having to actually carry the things, versus wheel them off the back of the truck to the bench.

I personally have never been interested in riding a bench in competition. Those of us who love the thrill and speed of 3-Gun, but also love these types of practical field matches (with stages separated by rough terrain, elevation, requirements for a lot of positional shooting, and lightweight but accurate guns) have really found a relatively uncharted discipline that is very challenging and fulfilling, bringing out the quintessential skills that a rifleman needs in the real world.

The GII is really a major consideration for those of us who have been running heavy AR10 gas guns already in these matches, especially since there are so many barricades and kneeling position shots.  A heavy bolt gun doesn't do so well in the balance department, and neither does a legacy AR10.  Enter the GII.  That is why I say it not only appeals to hunters, but the action shooters as well.  If you look at heavy metal division for 3-gun, you can't beat the GII with anything else out there, all other components the same.

Then look at the caliber conversion folks.  The 1993-2013 AR10 receiver set and BCG is so huge, it really turns a lot of hunters off.  The GII is the weight of a lightweight brush gun, but now has the architecture to support a wide range of cartridges that will be another game-changing market.  Mark my words:  You are going to see some really hot developments from this design.

This is why I sold off my two DPMS guns. I had one gun with a really nice Troy rail, Rainier barrel, AAC flash hider installed.....It ran fine-well other than EATING extractors, shot like a dream....but it was too damn heavy to do much with it other than bench rest type work.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#27]
And the first company to offer an after-market, quality charge handle for the G2 is.....

Precision Reflex Inc., with the Gas Buster w/ Military Latch

PRI G2 Gas Buster
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#28]
What are you guys running for mags?  The old 20rd Magpuls work fine in my rifle but the new Gen3 mags (in 20 and 25rd capacity) won't reliably lock the bolt open.  DPMS blames Magpul and vice versa and I don't know if either company has taken steps to change/fix the issue.

I have one of the new Lancer mags and, while I haven't used it a ton, it always locks the bolt back when empty.  Otherwise, the steel 19rd mag that came with the rifle works fine, too.

Edited to add that V7 Weapoons is talking about making a titanium barrel nut that'll allow the BCM KMR forend to be installed on a GII.  I don't know how far along they are with the project but I'm sure an email or two from interested parties might help spur things along...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What are you guys running for mags?  The old 20rd Magpuls work fine in my rifle but the new Gen3 mags (in 20 and 25rd capacity) won't reliably lock the bolt open.  DPMS blames Magpul and vice versa and I don't know if either company has taken steps to change/fix the issue.

I have one of the new Lancer mags and, while I haven't used it a ton, it always locks the bolt back when empty.  Otherwise, the steel 19rd mag that came with the rifle works fine, too.

Edited to add that V7 Weapoons is talking about making a titanium barrel nut that'll allow the BCM KMR forend to be installed on a GII.  I don't know how far along they are with the project but I'm sure an email or two from interested parties might help spur things along...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

modded Magpul M3s.

Took 1.5mm off the follower.
With a slash heavy buffer and an SLR adjustable block on pos. 6 (CLGS) theyve been locking back so far.
Lancers are expensive and complex. Id hate to have to switch.

ETA can we petition V7 or B.A.D. to make a titanium pivot pin (since its proprietary)? My takedown doesnt match now
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I modified my Magpul mags.  It's not difficult and doesn't take very long to do one.  My first was sort of a chop job, but it still works well. I got much better modifying subsequent mags.

-bob

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Why was the format changed from the original Dutch/Armalite? I just don't understand the reasoning.

Shot a bud's Armalite AR10 (unknown yr of mfr) & liked it well enough, but didn't get to spend any real time with it or hunt with it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:21:47 AM EDT
[#32]
From another thread:

To fit with AR15 receiver extension tubes, instead of tooling up for the original tube diameter, and new furniture. This required the tail of the bolt carrier to be reduced to AR15 diameter, so in order to maintain the AR10 mass, they extended the length of the rear of the carrier about .625", which is where the additional length comes from.

We're finally getting back to the beauty of the original design, with some other work-arounds, so that we can still use AR15 dia. extensions and furniture that mates with the lower.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:52:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd like to see a cross between the GII and AR Performance's AR12.  Being able to use AR15 handguards without any special barrel nuts would've been huge.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:31:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Being able to use AR15 handguards without any special barrel nuts would've been huge.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'd like to see a cross between the GII and AR Performance's AR12.  Being able to use AR15 handguards without any special barrel nuts would've been huge.
View Quote

Because no engineering department or legal department is going to sign off on a rifle with thin chamber walls, meant to have up to 62,000psi .308 Winchester working pressures going off inside of it. Remington brought in a full engineering team to design the G2, and they are experienced firearms engineers who did an excellent job when designing the G2.

No way would they even think about using an AR15 diameter barrel extension for .308 Winchester, because you run out of chamber wall thickness.  It's patently insane, and would get rejected very early in the development process.  That's why they went with a larger diameter barrel extension, which demands a larger diameter barrel nut.  This was to accommodate a specified chamber wall thickness for .308 Winchester, from which they worked outwards.

What they did do was flute the barrel nut for gas tube clearance on one of the nuts, and the barrel nuts are such that AR15 diameter handguards can still be used in many instances.  They opened it up to as many AR15 handguards as sanely possible, and they should get credit for that.  There are at least 2 different production G2 barrel nuts as well.  One works with the 2-piece and some other handguards, the others are your traditional free float tube nut, with the holes for the gas tube and male threading on the OD.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#36]
On using AR15 handguards on an big caliber AR, I know some AR15 size handguards fit my Armalite .308.  I have a set of Magpul MOE handguards on my rifle that are for an AR15.  In the Armalite line of rifles, their standard, 2-piece, drop-in handguards fit both their AR15's and 10's.  There may be others that do this too...perhaps?
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#37]
DPMS Recon run for 2,500 rounds without cleaning:

James Yeager DPMS G2
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This should be controversial:

James Yeager DPMS G2
View Quote

Why necessarily controversial?  Sounded like a good promo for the gun.  I was curious about the guy who appears to be standing in the general downrange direction of the firing.  Is that normal?  I've never been to one of those school/training scenarios like that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Why necessarily controversial?  Sounded like a good promo for the gun.  I was curious about the guy who appears to be standing in the general downrange direction of the firing.  Is that normal?  I've never been to one of those school/training scenarios like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

James Yeager DPMS G2

Controversial because arfcom hates Yeager.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone else notice the comment about the GII R25? Not on Remingtons site yet that I see.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Can I ask why the hate?  Not trying to cause a S-storm, but I'm relatively new here and not up on all the drama points.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Can I ask why the hate?  Not trying to cause a S-storm, but I'm relatively new here and not up on all the drama points.
View Quote

Because he needs meds to cope with his roid rage. Watch some of his videos and tell me if you think he is mentally stable.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#43]
None of this Yeager stuff is tech, please quit derailing the thread.

As to the original question, I am doubtful that the GII will end up being the end all, be all AR10 platform.

As a meaningful early step toward what the AR10 should be, yes, it's going to be remembered as an integral part of the game changing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
None of this Yeager stuff is tech, please quit derailing the thread.

As to the original question, I am doubtful that the GII will end up being the end all, be all AR10 platform.

As a meaningful early step toward what the AR10 should be, yes, it's going to be remembered as an integral part of the game changing.
View Quote

Yes, but the content of the video might be.  2,500 rounds no cleaning.  Seems pretty decent.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

James Yeager DPMS G2

That was probably some of the worst display of tactics in the first bit of the video, with everyone stacked up in each other's field of fire like that.  It's a violation of one of the most basic principles of SUT's you learn, even in the substandard training environment at Fort Benning.  It's called masking of fires, and you don't do it.  It's a sad example when people are actually paying for really poor techniques that have been proven to get people killed, often by friendly fire-which is the main reason we don't do that.

This should be in GD, and not derail the technical thread.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#46]
LRRPF52, that's what got my attention in the vid...people semi-downrange shooting at odd angles...but...I'm not experienced in the black art of tactical maneuvers.

Eat_beef...sorry to ask the question, bro, but a link was posted about the new rifle with this Yeager guy speaking to its qualities, so...yeah...I think it does go to some tech aspect if the guy either does or doesn't have credibility.  Obviously you may have been here for awhile or know this guy from other AR exposure, but understand that some/many of us don't.  Just tryin' to learn whether the guy has cred or not.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#47]
I guess I should have posted the link to the exact time in the video so that you guys don't get distracted (ADHD etc.).  I was referring to the part where they talk about it running for 2,500 rounds without cleaning.  There isn't a lot out there about the longevity of the gun, this video would be the first and it is being supported directly by Remington (the other guy in the video works for Remington and is supposedly former MARSOC).  I thought it was interesting.

Going back to edit the original link...
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes, I watched the whole thing.  Yeager would be the last guy I would want to get behind a product, but it will sell them anyway.

The Remington employee took the gun to the course without telling his bosses, which is cool.  Overall, the video is actually informative to the nature of the G2's performance in a high volume shooting course.

They spent 4.5 days shooting the gun in high volume, which is where the 2,500 rounds came from.  They also used a 3rd party ammunition provider outside of Remington.

Over the course, they encountered 2 double-feeds, which impressed them.  They mentioned that several other rifles went down entirely, and that AK's malf (which you will know if you shoot AK's regularly).

Another thing they pointed out is that the G2 has a much stronger recoil spring, and there are some considerations for using the charge handle.

For those that don't know, Yeager doesn't like AR's much, and has been a bigger fan of the AK or FAL as "real" battle rifles or assault rifles. In this video, he states that he believes the G2 to be the preeminent battle rifle above all now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I guess I should have posted the link to the exact time in the video so that you guys don't get distracted (ADHD etc.).  I was referring to the part where they talk about it running for 2,500 rounds without cleaning.  There isn't a lot out there about the longevity of the gun, this video would be the first and it is being supported directly by Remington (the other guy in the video works for Remington and is supposedly former MARSOC).  I thought it was interesting.

Going back to edit the original link...
View Quote

I thought it was interesting too, and I appreciate you posting it.  I got a kick out of the Remington guy...funny and informative.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:56:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yes, I watched the whole thing.  Yeager would be the last guy I would want to get behind a product, but it will sell them anyway.

The Remington employee took the gun to the course without telling his bosses, which is cool.  Overall, the video is actually informative to the nature of the G2's performance in a high volume shooting course.

They spent 4.5 days shooting the gun in high volume, which is where the 2,500 rounds came from.  They also used a 3rd party ammunition provider outside of Remington.

Over the course, they encountered 2 double-feeds, which impressed them.  They mentioned that several other rifles went down entirely, and that AK's malf (which you will know if you shoot AK's regularly).

Another thing they pointed out is that the G2 has a much stronger recoil spring, and there are some considerations for using the charge handle.

For those that don't know, Yeager doesn't like AR's much, and has been a bigger fan of the AK or FAL as "real" battle rifles or assault rifles. In this video, he states that he believes the G2 to be the preeminent battle rifle above all now.
View Quote

Yes, he seems to have a deep seated hatred for "AR10's" as he calls them.  He also seems to despise the SCAR 17, but why that is I'm not certain.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top