Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2014 9:22:15 AM EDT
As title suggests, I'm looking to buy a full AR, not just an upper receiver.
What are some good options. I'm already looking hard at the DPMS 300Blk offering, but want to see some other options before I pull the trigger...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an S&W MP15 in 300 whisper, very nice gun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You like pistols?

Primary Arms
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You like pistols?

Primary Arms
View Quote
No, not really.

Im fine with a 16 inch barrel. I should mention that this is gonna be a deer rig.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#4]
IMO you should buy a complete upper, then either build your own lower or purchase a complete lower from another source. Why? You'll save at least the 11% Fed Exc Tax that is charged on all complete rifles, in addition to that, there are more options for complete uppers versus trying to purchase the complete rifle. complete lowers are around in the $160-$200 range, and 300 BO lowers can be had in the mid $400's.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IMO you should buy a complete upper, then either build your own lower or purchase a complete lower from another source. Why? You'll save at least the 11% Fed Exc Tax that is charged on all complete rifles, in addition to that, there are more options for complete uppers versus trying to purchase the complete rifle.

Complete lowers are around in the $160-$200 range, and 300 BO uppers can be had in the mid $400's.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

IMO you should buy a complete upper, then either build your own lower or purchase a complete lower from another source. Why? You'll save at least the 11% Fed Exc Tax that is charged on all complete rifles, in addition to that, there are more options for complete uppers versus trying to purchase the complete rifle.

Complete lowers are around in the $160-$200 range, and 300 BO uppers can be had in the mid $400's.

Good to know. Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a complete upper from SOTA arms.  Their .300blk barrels are awesome.  It is what I use on my deer hunting riflle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Change of plans. Instead of going whole hog and getting a cheapo lower, I'm gonna get a upper, toss it on my RRA lower, and build a new lower over time with a good trigger, stock, ect ect.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#9]
If money seems to be an object skip 300 BLK and stick with 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree 100%.

This isn't often what guys want to hear, but 300 BLK is generally not for the budget conscious.

The two primary aspects that make 300 BLK so attractive are that it works well with short barrels and it can be so effectively suppressed.  If it were not going to be a short barrel or suppressed, I would not have any interest in 300 BLK.

SBR's and suppressors are expensive, as is the ammo for 300 BLK.

If you are just looking for a .30 caliber 16" unsuppressed rifle for deer hunting, I would skip the 300 BLK and go with .308 or perhaps 7.62/39 as suggested above.  Or, just use .223 if it is allowed in your state.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:20:02 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're going to shoot shoot supersonic .300blk from a 16" barrel, buy a 6.5g

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I agree 100%.

This isn't often what guys want to hear, but 300 BLK is generally not for the budget conscious.

The two primary aspects that make 300 BLK so attractive are that it works well with short barrels and it can be so effectively suppressed.  If it were not going to be a short barrel or suppressed, I would not have any interest in 300 BLK.

If you are just looking for a .30 caliber 16" unsuppressed rifle for deer hunting, I would skip the 300 BLK and go with .308 or perhaps 7.62/39 as suggested above.  Or, just use .223 if it is allowed in your state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree 100%.

The ammo prices for the 300BLK seem to be falling every month as more becomes available. When you compare the a 7.62X39 for hunting you will actually be paying more for the hunting ammo in the AK round than you would for the 300BLK. While the 7.62X39 works well in an AK it is hardly the best suited for an AR. There is practically no commonality with the original. Different bolt, mags, barrel and lower all of which raise the price of stuffing an AK round into an AR to more than what you would pay for the 300BLK. There are also reliability problems when trying to adapt a tapered cartridge for a gun not designed for it. The only advantage that the 7.62X39 has when put into an AR is that the plinking rounds are cheaper all of which are not very accurate and that is the whole point of having an AR vs AK. Then if you want to put better ammo in your 7.62X39 conversion to get better accuracy you will be paying MORE for that ammo than you would for a 300BLK. So unless you are plinking away thousands of rounds every couple months and have no interest in hunting then you would probably have a case for choosing an 7.62X39 to save money but then again buying an AK to shoot the round it was made for would make even more sense.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:05:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you're going to shoot shoot supersonic .300blk from a 16" barrel, buy a 6.5g

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Here let me help you out. If your going to shoot supersonic from a 16" barrel out the 600 yards buy a 6.5 or better yet get a .308. Otherwise the 300BLK will be a better fit for those hunting at ranges less than 300 yards as we don't need very long barrels to get the most our of the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The ammo prices for the 300BLK seem to be falling every month as more becomes available. When you compare the a 7.62X39 for hunting you will actually be paying more for the hunting ammo in the AK round than you would for the 300BLK. While the 7.62X39 works well in an AK it is hardly the best suited for an AR. There is practically no commonality with the original. Different bolt, mags, barrel and lower all of which raise the price of stuffing an AK round into an AR to more than what you would pay for the 300BLK. There are also reliability problems when trying to adapt a tapered cartridge for a gun not designed for it. The only advantage that the 7.62X39 has when put into an AR is that the plinking rounds are cheaper all of which are not very accurate and that is the whole point of having an AR vs AK. Then if you want to put better ammo in your 7.62X39 conversion to get better accuracy you will be paying MORE for that ammo than you would for a 300BLK. So unless you are plinking away thousands of rounds every couple months and have no interest in hunting then you would probably have a case for choosing an 7.62X39 to save money but then again buying an AK to shoot the round it was made for would make even more sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree 100%.

I couldn't agree more.  If shooting 7.62x39, shoot it out of an AK.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree 100%.

Word.

I would also like to add that if one wanted a ar 15 chambered in 762 by 39, the MGI modular lower receivers are the best option for doing that as they allow you to use ak magazines
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree 100%.

From what I've seen, 300 blackout is getting to be within the same price range as .308. Lucky gunner has Fiocci 300 Blk FMJ for the same price, $0.60 per round, as PMC 308 FMJ. Actually, the PMC is slightly higher, at 64 cents a round. At this moment, the only cheaper .308 is steel cased ammo. I'm betting that somewhere, some manufacture is prepping steel cased 300 blk to go up against the 308 steel case, price wise.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top