Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:53:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shadowarrior1] [#1]
And in 2011 this brief case rifle was introduced in 7.62 Nato by DRD Tactical
Just adding to your awesome list of AR10 history

Tried to load a pic but had no luck. facebook.com/drdtactical
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:39:26 AM EDT
[#2]
So if I read correctly, was Remington the first to offer a .243 caliber in the AR-10 platform?...and not until sometime after 2010?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:49:28 AM EDT
[#3]
No, ArmaLite Inc. was IIRC, then DPMS.  Remington didn't get into this market until recently.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:56:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: QCMGR] [#4]
Great post!

FYI...

The bulk of the engineering work was contracted out to LMT, with an experienced
Quality Assurance expert, Mr. David Dorbeck, doing the bulk of the work.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Edited to include David Dorbeck.  Here's some more on his accomplishments:

In Memoriam; David Dorbeck
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]
So the AR10 go "bigger" when it was resurrected in the 90's.  Why?  Why didn't they go back to the original specs?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Parliament:
So the AR10 go "bigger" when it was resurrected in the 90's.  Why?  Why didn't they go back to the original specs?
View Quote

To fit with AR15 receiver extension tubes, instead of tooling up for the original tube diameter, and new furniture.  This required the tail of the bolt carrier to be reduced to AR15 diameter, so in order to maintain the AR10 mass, they extended the length of the rear of the carrier about .625", which is where the additional length comes from.

We're finally getting back to the beauty of the original design, with some other work-arounds, so that we can still use AR15 dia. extensions and furniture that mates with the lower.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Excellent post my friend. Exactly why I was so set on getting an SR-25. Now I have a thread to explain to my friends why I would want to" spend so much on a gun"!

Thanks for the effort! Looking forward to any and all updates!
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Excellent post! I've been slowly building the drive to move towards an AR10 to compliment my other ARs. Was a nice review of the history
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it true that the AR10 was submitted for evaluation but it was equipped with an experimental barrel (over Stoner's objections) which failed in testing?
The winner was then the M14.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:58:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
Is it true that the AR10 was submitted for evaluation but it was equipped with an experimental barrel (over Stoner's objections) which failed in testing?
The winner was then the M14.
View Quote

Yes, ArmaLite insisted on submitting a composite barrel that had an aluminum liner over a steel bore.  One of the tests the Army did was water obstruction of the bore. It failed.  Army Ordnance was also determined to see their rifle win, and left the FAL/T48 in the corner of most of the testing, literally.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:51:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 762AR556:
I still like the Armalite style mags. They are very well made. I still think more receivers should be made for this mag.
View Quote

I have 20 year old steel Armalite magazines that are still going strong, the only wear on them on some edges and corners from handling.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#13]
This is great work OP.  Now if someone could put together a compatability chart, we'd be golden.

Can I use a DPMS barrel in a MATEN receiver set?

Can I use an Armalite  AR10 barrel nut on it?

One has to do so much research on the .308 platform guns...
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TheHomelandSoldier:
This is great work OP.  Now if someone could put together a compatability chart, we'd be golden.

View Quote

It will have to be funded to do the research, and will take considerable time to get it right.  Also keep in mind that several companies have variation within their own product lines, and many of the modern AR10's have gone through an evolutionary process within the brand names.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

It will have to be funded to do the research, and will take considerable time to get it right.  Also keep in mind that several companies have variation within their own product lines, and many of the modern AR10's have gone through an evolutionary process within the brand names.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheHomelandSoldier:

No doubt you'd have to pay someone to do it!  The lack of standardization is a bit of a shame.  However the benefit to it is that you have options I guess.

Either way nice job on the OP, OP.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice job, OP.

I think we will never see true standardization in this market UNLESS something like an economic slowdown forces a good number of players out.  Then maybe we would see the remainder sort of cobble together.

Regardless, I was shooting my AR10 B model yesterday and still wonder why more companies don't adopt a lower that handles the best 7.62 AR mag in existence, the Gen 2 ArmaLite B steel magazine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:12:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I saw so many new AR10-type rifles at SHOT, that I will have to update this thread with them.

ADM is making a really nice .308 AR.  This was one of the biggest surprises of the show, and it is well executed in terms of fit, feel, component selection, and engineering.  They really seem to have done a great job on them, and they also have great ambi controls that allow firing hand position bolt lock.  Pictures of it are not up yet that I can see.

Held the Seekins and Lancer guns.  The Seekins is pretty lightweight, even with a medium contour barrel, and also has ambi controls that allow bolt lock with RH position on pistol grip.  The Lancer was way heavier than I expected, but their mags are awesome, with a lot more to follow.

Troy has a .308 AR now.

There were a bunch of others that I couldn't check out, but way more than I knew about in advance.  I looked for the Wilson Combat booth, but couldn't find it on the exhibitor listing anywhere.  I was looking forward to handling those.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:27:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GSL] [#18]
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but you missed JD Machine Tech.

http://www.jdmachinetech.com/
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#19]
GREAT work LRRPF52.  Very helpful details.  Really appreciate the effort, THANKS!
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, ArmaLite insisted on submitting a composite barrel that had an aluminum liner over a steel bore.  One of the tests the Army did was water obstruction of the bore. It failed.  Army Ordnance was also determined to see their rifle win, and left the FAL/T48 in the corner of most of the testing, literally.

http://ww3.rediscov.com/springar/full/12590-SA.A.1.jpg
View Quote

The composite AR-10 barrel failed during endurance testing in early 1957.  Over a year later, AR-15 and Winchester LWMR barrels burst due to water obstruction.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Would it be worth adding all the different 308 receiver makers out there? There's alot out now, not sure if it's merely rebranding, or people actually making their own stuff.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:05:51 AM EDT
[#22]
That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Great thread.  Check out Hogan Guns with their ambidextrous bolt release.  Just learned of it last week.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#24]
A thorough history of the AR10. I still want an AR-10 in .358 Winchester where I can switch the upper back to 7.62X51 in a few seconds. Kind of like my AR-15 I can switch to 458 SOCOM in seconds.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I never suspected Adams Arms to be the first industry source to answer the DPMS GII with a rifle, especially one that basically mimics the GII receiver set profile.  What Adams Arms did to avoid copying the dual ejector system (first introduced by LMT), was to use a kidney shaped ejector on this rifle.

The monolithic bolt carrier approach already in use by Adams Arms means they can get around being accused of copying the GII BCG, while also addressing the mechanical engineering challenge of required bolt carrier group throw in a shorter receiver set and the traditional internal gas expansion carrier key challenges posed by AR15 carrier keys, which neither the Colt 901 nor the GII use.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Are they dimensionally compatible w/ DMPS G2 receivers?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:36:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: artener] [#27]
ArmaLite AR10(T) from the early-mid 90s. 24" barrel.  (Gen 1 mag shown)

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:08:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lazerus2000] [#28]
Fantastic thread with great details.  
Speaking of history,
Back in the 1980s, I owned several of the original AI built SUDANESE and PORTUGUESE AR10 rifles that were imported into Canada. These were available from $250 -400.  I bought mine from Kingsway  and Lever in Vancouver, and from OGT in Ontario.   I fondly rememember competing in three gun matches with a Sudanese AR10 that I had modified into a shorty M4 type carbine, with 18.5" barrel, compensated, skeletonised butt stock, red dot mounted on the front half if the carrying handle ( milled to Weaver rail spec).  I also went on a bear and moose hunt in Northern Sakatchewan with that AR 10, loaded with 200 gr Winchester Silvertip SP.

Those really were "the good ol' days".  
But the changes in Canadian firearms laws in the early 90s that turned the inexpensive surplus battle rifles into restricted rifes  ruined all that.

Over the years I have met  two Canadian AR10 owners who had the rare CIVILIAN/SEMI AUTO ONLY KTM Airline pilot survival model.  This may have been two different rifles, or the same rifle with two different owners.  These would be incredibly valuable today.

As for the future, I don't know if "PROTOTYPES" and "Production Pending" qualifies for inclusion in this thread, but Alberta Tactical has obtained Canadian legal status as a NON-restricted for their AR10 like semi auto rifle called the Modern Hunter.  Possibly no big deal to the Americans who enjoy unrestricted access to AR 10 rifles already,  but exciting news for us Canucks.
http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/hikashop-menu-for-categories-listing/product/7040-modern-hunter
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Lazerus2000:
Speaking of history,
Back in the 1980s, I owned several of the original AI built SUDANESE and PORTUGUESE AR10 rifles that were imported into Canada. These were available from $250 -400.  I bought mine from Kingsway  and Lever in Vancouver, and from OGT in Ontario.   I fondly rememember competing in three gun matches with a Sudanese AR10 that I had modified into a shorty M4 type carbine, with 18.5" barrel, compensated, skeletonised butt stock, red dot mounted on the front half if the carrying handle ( milled to Weaver rail spec).  I also went on a bear and moose hunt in Northern Sakatchewan with that AR 10, loaded with 200 gr Winchester Silvertip SP.

But the changes in Canadian firearms laws in the early 90s that turned the inexpensive surplus battle rifles into restricted rifes  ruined all that.

Over the years I have met  two Canadian AR10 owners who had the rare CIVILIAN/SEMI AUTO ONLY KTM Airline pilot survival model.  This may have been two different rifles, or the same rifle with two different owners.  These would be incredibly valuable today.

As for the future, I don't know if "PROTOTYPES" and "Production Pending" qualifies for inclusion in this thread, but Alberta Tactical has obtained Canadian legal status as a NON-restricted for their AR10 like semi auto rifle called the Modern Hunter.  Possibly no big deal to the Americans who enjoy unrestricted access to AR 10 rifles already,  but exciting news for us Canucks.
http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/hikashop-menu-for-categories-listing/product/7040-modern-hunter
View Quote

I think its always exciting to hear about other countries moving towards less restrictive firearms ownership. You think you'll pick one of these new beauties up?
Also...Shooting a 3 Gun match this weekend. My first time shooting 308 in a match! Its no Sudanese AR10, but I'm excited about it. Great post.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Lazerus2000:
Speaking of history,

View Quote

What makes that thing NON-restricted?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:50:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#31]
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Daniel Defense DD5V1 7.62 NATO Carbine

Recoil Web Review

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Don't forget SI/ Falkor Defense.

http://falkordefense.com
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#34]
New MEGA SF-MATEN  http://www.megaarms.com/sf-maten/

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Let's hope it's DPMS Gen 2 compatible.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#36]
POF Revolution

Please keep this thread free of random comments so we can have just the documentary nature of it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 12:03:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Daniel Defense DD5V1 7.62 NATO Carbine

Recoil Web Review

http://youtu.be/dm11OTe1L5s
View Quote
Im thinking this might be a best buy for the money right now for an all around 308 DMRish rifle.  DD gives a good Mil discount as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#39]

hmmm

wife just asked what i want for my birthday next month

love those books
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Just read about this one the other day. Not a good article, more of a sales pitch than anything. No good info besides saying is the "lightest 308 on the market".

Would like to see a better break down of it. Linda interesting, wondering is its just another copy of the GII or what.

I do like seeing more of these smaller platforms coming out. Hopefully a parts boom is right around the corner, then just waiting another 1.5-3 years for the aftermarket to work out the shitty QC issues and what not, then we can build some!

I want armalite to jump on the wagon. If they do, I'm sold.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:57:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#41]
Once upon a time Aero Precision produced a number of close AR-10B lowers to build rifles specifically not named on the California Attorney General's banned assault rifles list.

Armalite produced a number of complete Aero Precision AR-10T rifles to help out the Left Coast bubbas.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:58:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TargetShooter2] [#42]
CMMG is listing a 16 MBR & a 18 inch MK3  3GR  , I have the MK3 nice rifle

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#43]
New Savage MSR series.  They're using a small frame AR10 variant with initial offerings in .308 Win. and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks like PSA just added a Small Frame AR10 called the PX-10:

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Hopefully,  PSA will pull the GII from the ashes.
I have a customized GII and a Rogue and they both work fine.
I wish POF, and more companies for that matter, would incorporate sinusoidal bolt lug design to further increase strength and durability.
An Aermet bolt with sinusoidal lugs should be a real winner!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Parliament:
View Quote

1994 Klinton Crime Bill reduced newly manufactured mag capacity to 10 rds. Existing fleet of original pattern AR-10 waffle mags was minimal. It was decided to use a design that used modded M14 mag shells.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File

I wish I could still buy these.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Knight's used to not sell separate SR25 uppers without having the whole rifle sent back to Florida for fitting.

Armalite used to sell drop in upper receivers for the SR25.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:21:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: heart_of_darkness] [#49]
Originally Posted By xlr8shn:

View Quote

There are several good Youtube videos on the AR10's history, and the evolution of the design.  There was no single original pattern; it kept getting beefed up with over time to increase durability.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:18:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Armalite B Model, barrel turned down & FSB added by ADCO:

Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top