Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 8:09:36 PM EDT
I have several 5.56 cal ar's. I'm building my first 300 aac and would like to lable it so who ever ends up with it when I'm gone will know it's not 5.56. Looking for ideas.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
the cal. of the barrel is usually marked right towards the muzzle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
".300 Blackout" engraved on the ejection port cover.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Cerakote the gun a different color, and use different mags, and or mags colored differently.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Find a local industry engraver and have them do the chambering on the barrel end. I have maybe ten plus customs that aren't marked.   I pity anyone that tries loading a 223 in some of those caverns. They are all marked above the chambers but the FF tube covers them.  I have several custom bolt guns that have no markings anywhere.  

The fellow charged with liquidating my gun stuff will not have any problems identifying them since he built most of them and will get them a good home and my wide a healthy chunk of change.

Greg
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm looking at have the upper receivers laser etched left side under rail
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What if you want to rebarrel to something else?   I have one upper that has been used for four different chamberings.

Greg
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#7]
paint marker on the left side of the upper receiver
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What if you want to rebarrel to something else?   I have one upper that has been used for four different chamberings.

Greg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

uppers are cheap enough , I don't mind the $40 blems and figure there are going to be some good deals on the 28th to add a few more to the shelf
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
paint marker on the left side of the upper receiver
View Quote

do like that idea , cut a stencil out and mark it , off to look for pre cut stencils
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

uppers are cheap enough , I don't mind the $40 blems and figure there are going to be some good deals on the 28th to add a few more to the shelf
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

I hear that but fourteen complete uppers take up a lot of space.. Six more would be crowding it.. LOL.  At some point you have to call calf rope.

Greg
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Paint them different colors for caliber specific identification and then paint the magazines to match the way the upper is painted.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Paint them different colors for caliber specific identification and then paint the magazines to match the way the upper is painted.
View Quote

Isn't the problem of his heirs knowing what they are the real issue?  Color coding them is good for range work but if Joe Schmo gets one later he wouldn't know it's a 300 BLK  vs a brown or green rifle.

Greg
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think this is the easiest thing to do if it isn't already marked up at the muzzle like most barrels are. You can get them off ebay for $15-$20 etched professionally.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:07:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Find a local industry engraver and have them do the chambering on the barrel end. I have maybe ten plus customs that aren't marked.   I pity anyone that tries loading a 223 in some of those caverns. They are all marked above the chambers but the FF tube covers them.  I have several custom bolt guns that have no markings anywhere.  

The fellow charged with liquidating my gun stuff will not have any problems identifying them since he built most of them and will get them a good home and my wide a healthy chunk of change.

Greg
View Quote

Assuming he does not die first!

My "odd" caliber ARs either are marked on the upper receiver or the ejection port door is marked with the caliber.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:16:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My "odd" caliber ARs either are marked on the upper receiver or the ejection port door is marked with the caliber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

I've got more than a few years on him. .LOL.   Almost evey one I own is odd.  If I only had a few I'd go that route too but I'm as likely to have four new ones in the next six months.  It's just easier to engrave the barrels.  Laser work is getting easier and easier to get done. High dollar way would be to send it to the guys that engrave lowers.

Greg
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think this is the easiest thing to do if it isn't already marked up at the muzzle like most barrels are. You can get them off ebay for $15-$20 etched professionally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
ebay
engraved inside and out so whether it's open or closed, there is no question
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I have ARs in 7 calibers  (8 if you count the 308 platform.) Fortunately the shape of the magazine distinguishes most. For 300blk however I use Only 20 round pmags. Black for Subsonic and FDE for Supersonic.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top