Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2014 12:09:14 PM EDT
How accurately does your carbine shoot sub-sonic rounds?

I’m seeing 3+ inch groups at 50 yards with various commercial and hand loaded sub-sonic ammo.  I’m getting 1.5 MOA at a 100 yards with 110, 125, and 150 grain supersonic commercial rounds.  

I used the AAC  data to carefully prepare some hand loads using 220 gr SMKs and Accurate 1680.  Got a consistence ejection pattern at 3 o’clock. There was no improvement in accuracy.    

The gun is a RRA upper, lower, 2 stage trigger and chrome BCG with Wislon Combat 16 inch SS match barrel, 1 - 7 twist barrel under a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1.5-4X20mm FireDot-G SPR scope.  I’m shooting off a Lead Sled.  

I’m puzzled with the accuracy difference and I’m wondering what other folks are experiencing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
my personal opinion is remington factory subs suck . It has the worst seviation I have ever saw . my personal preference is hornady 225 match but they are like unicorns at this point in time and thats really unfortunate since they shoot great in all three of my guns . I was getting 1.5 -2.00 inch groups out of my 16 inch carbine and 1.00 inch out of my bolt gun pretty consistant . lately I have been using hornady 208 amax and they are not as accurate or I havent found the sweet spot yet I have been getting around 2 inches out of my carbine and 1.5 inches out of my bolt gun by contrast my 8.5 topped with an aimpoint pro does about 3.5 inch at 100 but I can live with that  considering the optic .
I try to make my col as long as possible to get the bullet closer to the riflings and use a lee crimp die for more consistance .
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Take into consideration that you are shooting a equivalent of a pistol round when you shoot subsonic.

Don't get me wrong i love it when my 247gr cast make a 3 shot almost one hole at 50 yds out of 8.5 inch barrel.

4 inch .45 acp at 50 yds would be awesome.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Take into consideration that you are shooting a equivalent of a pistol round when you shoot subsonic.

Don't get me wrong i love it when my 247gr cast make a 3 shot almost one hole at 50 yds out of 8.5 inch barrel.

View Quote
What load are you using?

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What load are you using?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What load are you using?  

I have several loads,

11 gr 1680
10.9gr H4198
8.3gr lil gun

Usually i can keep a 1 1/2 in group at 50 yds with these but on occasion i get that beautiful 3 rounds almost touching.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Pushed OAL out to 2.255 and went to the range.  Huge improvement.  10 shot group down to 1.5 inches with 4 into a single hole and another just shy of touching it  Group could have been 1.25 inches except for a lone flyer.  Thanks for the idea.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top