Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2014 10:29:45 PM EDT
Here's my latest build.  I took a chance with the radical firearms bcg because I live about 15 minutes away from their shop. it seems like a quality piece.  The scope is a Bushnell 6-24 scope with a G2 reticle that I had laying around. I will probably switch optics to something with illumination and less magnification.  Only trouble putting it together was the Bravo Company charging handle.  Like others have mentioned, I had to file down the 2 little humps on the bottom of the charging handle a little bit.  It only took about 10 minutes to fix.  I slapped on the A2 birdcage until my suppressors get out of NFA jail.  Hopefully I will get it to the range in the next couple days and have some groups to show.  

Aero Precision M5 308 upper and lower
Aero Precision lower parts kit
Extended mag release
Fortis Switch Rail
Bravo Company Mod 3 charging handle
Magpul MOE plus grip
Geissele SSA trigger
Radical Firearms bolt carrier group
Rainier 18 inch Select barrel
Magpul Moe Rifle stock
Syrac adjustable gas block
A2 bird cage

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Let us know how it shoots.

I'm in the process of a similar build, I was looking for reviews of the Radical Arms BCG but coming up empty, what are your impressions of it?  Do you know an overall weight?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Only trouble putting it together was the Bravo Company charging handle.  Like others have mentioned, I had to file down the 2 little humps on the bottom of the charging handle a little bit.  It only took about 10 minutes to fix.  

View Quote

Weird, I just built a Aero M5 set with a BCM Mod3 handle and didn't have any issues.

How bad is the gap between the switch and the receiver? I still havent decided on my rail yet.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Weird, I just built a Aero M5 set with a BCM Mod3 handle and didn't have any issues.
View Quote

Same for me, My understanding is there is still some old stock floating around that doen't have the to 2 bumps on the bottom.  But I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Subscribed.

$?  

In for the range report.

/need an AR .308 for some reason I just can't figure out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Looking forward to the range report... nice
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm really interested in your thoughts on the aero upper and lower. Not sure if I should get one or go with maten set.

Looks good!
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Will it accept pmags? ??
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Will it accept pmags? ??
View Quote

Yes it will take pmags and any DPMS / LR308 / SR25 pattern mags
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks familiar...
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Nicely done! Looking forward to the range report.

I just finished my Aero M5 Build too. Haven't shot it yet, might get the chance this weekend.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:07:04 AM EDT
[#11]
The Aero M5, so far for me is GTG. The quality is there. Price was good. True test though, range time. Don't expect any issues though.

Quoted:
I'm really interested in your thoughts on the aero upper and lower. Not sure if I should get one or go with maten set.

Looks good!
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I hope to shoot it this weekend if the rain holds off.

I will try and answer some of the questions posted so far.

1. Not much to say about the radical arms bolt carrier since I haven't shot it yet. The fit and finish seem fine and it cycles smoothly when you pull the charging handle.

2. The gap between the rail and the receiver is minimal and doesn't bother me considering the advantage of the Switch rail.  Since I will be taking a suppressor on and off of this gun I like being able to quickly pull off the rail to get at the adjustable gas block in a much easier fashion.  

3. The Aero precision upper and lower receiver quality is very good. I also have a ma-ten and no question the mega stuff is tighter and has a better fit and finish. However, this was sort of a budget build for me. I plan on using this gun for hog hunting so as long as it shoots decent I will be happy with it.

4.  I am into the build for right around $1,500 without optics.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#13]
FIRST RANGE TRIP

I was finally able to get to the range today.  My main goal for this trip was to dial in the adjustable gas block and run some rounds through it to see how it functioned. The rifle functioned without a single hiccup. I started by shooting a round at a time and reducing the gas after each shot to find the sweet spot where it kicked the brass out and still locked the bolt back.  Even when I had the gas turned way down and the brass was just dribbling out of the ejection port it cycled the next round and the bolt locked back after the last round. Once I got the gas set where I wanted, I tried a couple different kinds of ammunition to make sure they worked on that gas setting.

Everything I had worked fine and included

Federal M80 149 grain FMJ
FMJ, Privi Partisan 150 soft poinr
Colt 168 grain FMJ with zinc cases

Next, I zeroed the rifle at 100 yards and shot the 5 shot group below with the Federal M80 148 grain FMJ. Sorry for the crappy cell picture.  I was extremely happy with a  group around 1.25 inches with that ammo.  Next trip I will bring some Gold Metal Match and maybe some PPU match ammo and see what kind of groups I get. I am sure this gun will shoot  under an inch with good ammo or my own reloads.

After shooting the group, I spent some time blasting through about 100 rounds shooting steel targets at ranges from 100-250 yards.  I got the barrel a little hot and it continued to function without a problem.

Now a couple thoughts on some of the parts that people had questions about:

Radical Firearms bolt carrier- worked perfect and cycled smooth.  If I were in the market I would have no problems buying another one for 150 bucks. I see they also have a Nickel Boron version for 175 on Primary Arms. I would have snagged one up if I didn't have their melonited version already. I didn't have to drench it in lube to get it to work like I did my old DPMS 308 rifle. I put a tiny bit of grease on the bcg and it cycled without incident.

Fortis Switch Rail-  I love this rail. If you have an adjustable gas block like the syrac I have, this rail is perfect.  I took the switch rail on and off probably 8-10 times while I dialed in the gas system. It comes off so easily, and it locks down tight when you close the lever. For a gun where you might need to adjust the gas for a suppressor or whatever this rail is perfect.

Overall I am very pleased with this build thus far.  I've had finicky 308 AR's in the past. To have this one work perfect even while I jacked around with the gas system was a pleasant surprise.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm working on a build very much like the OP. Just ordered my LPK once I saw it in stock at Schuyler Arms. lad to see he's had good results. Hope mine performs as well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice that your rifle actually works so far, even with the different gas settings and varying ammunition. They use a MLGS on the 18" guns, 1/10 twist, which is giving you plenty of gas back in the BCG.

Your posted group is actually 1", edge to edge if you measure it.  

If your rifle is shooting M80 like that, you have a shooter.  Try some 168gr Hornady A-MAX's, 175gr SMK's, maybe some PPU, all at 200 or 300yds.

If you hand load for it, you will find several beautiful accuracy nodes.  Should be a 1/2 MOA gun with certain loads.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Sweet build!! I am going to build something very similar. Which buffer and buffer tube did you use?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:46:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sweet build!! I am going to build something very similar. Which buffer and buffer tube did you use?
View Quote

I just used a standard A2 buffer tube I had laying around.  The buffer and spring were standard DPMS rifle LR-308 from PK Firearms for 35 bucks for the pair.  At the time I ordered, Midway didn't have both items in stock so I found them on PK.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:57:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I just used a standard A2 buffer tube I had laying around.  The buffer and spring were standard DPMS rifle LR-308 from PK Firearms for 35 bucks for the pair.  At the time I ordered, Midway didn't have both items in stock so I found them on PK.
View Quote

Awesome thanks!! That was my plan but finding verification on rifle gas system and buffer parts is difficult. Probably gonna grab one of those Raineer barrels as well. Do it once, do it right...right?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:38:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Nokick.com has the CTS, 2.5" stainless buffers, weighing 4.5 oz. Along with JP Enterprise and Sprinco .308 carbine springs for the 2.5" buffers. From what I've read CTS is good to go. And if I hadn't gone with the JP Enterprise Silent Capture Spring, the CTS would be in my rifle.

Quoted:

Awesome thanks!! That was my plan but finding verification on rifle gas system and buffer parts is difficult. Probably gonna grab one of those Raineer barrels as well. Do it once, do it right...right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#21]
OP, rifle looks great..........great range report as well...........what does it cost to build something like that?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I just finished my Aero M5 Build too. Haven't shot it yet, might get the chance this weekend.

http://www.jimcorso.com/photos/i-9kFtPZx/0/L/i-9kFtPZx-L.jpg
View Quote

What rail is that one and how much did it cost?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice! I think I'll have to build a .308 next.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that is a CMMG RKM.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Is that a 14" or 12" fortis rail OP?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a CMMG MK3 RKM15, 15" Keymod. I picked it up at Grabagun.com for $154.61, to my door step.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Good looking build there. How's it holding up? Any issues after using it? I'm looking to acquire a m5 set.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is that a 14" or 12" fortis rail OP?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

14 inch

So far the rifle has held up fine. I have about 500 rounds through it with no issue. I need to get to the range with some match ammo to see what kind of groups I can get. Most of the time I am just ringing steel at various ranges inside 300 yards

I have been tempted to change the stock out to a SOPMOD, but the rifle is running so well I don't feel like messing with it at this point. Nothing wrong with the magpul stock. I am just always tinkering with my builds.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I see hanguards listed for the DPMS style as High or Low.  Which do you get for the Aero Precision?  The ones made for the dpms high or low?  I'm sure it has something to do with the height of the rail on the upper receiver but I have no idea what it would be and which Aero would be similar to.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I see hanguards listed for the DPMS style as High or Low.  Which do you get for the Aero Precision?  The ones made for the dpms high or low?  I'm sure it has something to do with the height of the rail on the upper receiver but I have no idea what it would be and which Aero would be similar to.
View Quote

You want the high profile.  

.210 tang
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top