Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2014 1:22:42 AM EDT

before I ask this question and it be a big repeat of what every one has asked over and over let me give you a little insight to my current build with a list of parts

aero m5 upper lower
nickel boron complete bcg with weight reduction ( only reduced the bcg by 1.5 oz )
bhw 16" barrel with ball mill (knights dimple fluting ) fluting
slr da7 gas block
gas system is middy
rra 2 stage trigger with polishing done on contact points
ar15 buffer tube with dpms car buffer and spring
magpul acs stock
cmmg keymod handguard
bushnell xrs with h59
offset mount with vortex sparc for under 100 yards

my question is this, is it worth ditching my build to get a mr762 ?  what about the sig 308 gun ? would I get any better reliability/accuracy from the piston guns ? I have been waiting for the AA 308 piston kit to come out but after thinking about it, the gas system on the hk is really nice as it is self adjusting, just pop the suppressor on and go, often times on my aa 11.5  556 gun I keep forgetting to adjust from suppressed to unsuppressed, and that kind of erks me.

I feel the da7 gas block really makes this gun great, I have the gun tuned down to where it cycles, yet recoils very softly, so softly that my ex was shooting steel at 5-700 yards with no problems ( other then the wind changes ), then gun is so great  I feel its the best ar10 build of all time, now I know that is far fetched as their are  other really well made and reliable guns out their, but I have been that happy with the system.

how ever I have restless syndrome so to speak and am always looking to change toys or for new ones so I though I would ask and see what you all think
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

before I ask this question and it be a big repeat of what every one has asked over and over let me give you a little insight to my current build with a list of parts

aero m5 upper lower
nickel boron complete bcg with weight reduction ( only reduced the bcg by 1.5 oz )
slr da7 gas block
gas system is middy
magpul acs stock
cmmg keymod handguard
bushnell xrs with h59

my question is this, is it worth ditching my build to get a mr762 ?  what about the sig 308 gun ? would I get any better reliability/accuracy from the piston guns ? I have been waiting for the AA 308 piston kit to come out but after thinking about it, the gas system on the hk is really nice as it is self adjusting, just pop the suppressor on and go, often times on my aa 11.5  556 gun I keep forgetting to adjust from suppressed to unsuppressed, and that kind of erks me.

I feel the da7 gas block really makes this gun great, I have the gun tuned down to where it cycles, yet recoils very softly, so softly that my ex was shooting steel at 5-700 yards with no problems ( other then the wind changes ), then gun is so great  I feel its the best ar10 build of all time, now I know that is far fetched as their are  other really well made and reliable guns out their, but I have been that happy with the system.

how ever I have restless syndrome so to speak and am always looking to change toys or for new ones so I though I would ask and see what you all think
View Quote

No, the HK is not worth it.
If you want a piston .308 get a LWRC REPR, Scar 17 or possibly the SIG but I have no experience with them(SIG).
Screw AA they can't even provide an accurate list of rails that will fit without dremeling.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
HK makes great guns and have great resell value..... but it's gonna cost you.

I have always wanted an hk.

But part of there appeal is there are not many in the USA and that is why they cost so damn much.

Personally,  I'd rather take a scar 17. It might be the best 308 battle rifle if not the best all around battle rifle ever.

Also if you are looking for long range precision a larue 762 obr will have better accuracy for about the same price.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell no
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you want a piston .308 get a LWRC REPR, Scar 17 or possibly the SIG but I have no experience with them(SIG).
Screw AA they can't even provide an accurate list of rails that will fit without dremeling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

aero m5 upper lower
slr da7 gas block
gas system is middy
magpul acs stock
cmmg keymod handguard
bushnell xrs with h59

my dd lite 12 fit my aa no problems, and the fortus rails fit them as well.   my two worries with my di gun is dirt and water, god forbid I dropped the thing while hunting in a creek, id be to worried to shoot it and it blow up on me

other then that I have no real worries, I think the gun is solid
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Watch fewer marketing videos and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Watch fewer marketing videos and you'll be fine.
View Quote

hahah ya your most likely right
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't imagine the MR762/HK762 is worth the squeeze. Unlike it's little brother (the HK416) it's not performing on the stage with any major organizations.

I wouldn't get caught up in the weeds of piston vs DI. The conditions you're worried about won't be a problem for any quality rifle, and the water/mud-blowing up issue comes from bore obstruction and unless the piston magic keeps the bore from being obstructed it won't make a difference.

I really liked the REPR when I shot it, it feels and handles great.

The Sig is heavy, pretty accurate, but most importantly to the buying public... cheap. Although I really wish they'd bring out the 716LW they mentioned once or twice. (I was involved in testing an early prototype and it was fantastic) but it very well might never come to fruition.

The SR25 series is probably the best shooting .308 AR available and it's super light and has a very smooth feel to its recoil. But it's DI.

LaRues are also known as probably the most accurate production .308 ARs available, although I've never had opportunity to shoot them. It is also DI.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]
NO WAY. Larue PredatOBR for the win! The KAC looks amazing too. I just cant get on board with the Scar as the only one I ever fielded was broken by the end of the day. The Sig is nice too, but I have heard of spotty reliability in the 716 series. Try to shoot as much of the competition as possible before making a purchase. For my high end AR purchases I look to Larue and JP above all others, but there is lots a great stuff out there, GL.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]

well as stated I did a build but switched things up and sold the si defense upper lower, for an aero m5 upper and lower, I picked up the m5 today and its really robust,  I am just waiting on my barrel to come back from bhw and it will be all assembled and ready to roll, the upper and lower lock up ( with bcg in the upper and lower fully assembled ) really really tight no wiggle  at all.

I just hope my "system"  is just as quality as the "big boy" di guns out their
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top