Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2014 12:02:56 PM EDT
Who has a 3x3 Tanker brake on their rifle and how is it working with your build?

I wanted a tanker similar to my M82A1 to see if it would help with recoil. I won't try it out until next weekend but I am looking forward to it. It is a bit beefy though, weighing in at half a pound.

I have seen a video online a brake called the "Terminator T3" that really cuts a lot of recoil from a bolt-action 338 Lapua. Out of the lot of those testing on the video, the Terminators did the best with a 3x3 Tanker finishing 3rd.

Lets see what you're running on your guns.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I find the Fat Bastard brakes interesting. There is a vid on youtube of a 338 Lapua Magnum with and without one.

Might eventually try one out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Harrels on my Win Mag.  Works very well.  Especially for $30

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/muzzle-brakes

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Radial or side port slots?

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
JP benny cooly brake. Have it on my Bushy 308 and a couple of my competition style ARs. Looks cool as hell, drastically decreases recoil and muzzle rise(especially on the 308), and its loud as all hell (especially on the .308). Not to mention, quite the flame thrower(especially on the 308). I love them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
JP benny cooly brake. Have it on my Bushy 308 and a couple of my competition style ARs. Looks cool as hell, drastically decreases recoil and muzzle rise(especially on the 308), and its loud as all hell (especially on the .308). Not to mention, quite the flame thrower(especially on the 308). I love them.
View Quote

What do you think of the JP Bennie Cooley? I am looking to get a muzzle brake for my LR-308 and this is definitely an option. Have you shot the .308 with anything else to compare it to?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#6]
YHM QD brake.  Because that's the only brake my YHM QD can fits on.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, unfortunately the tanker style brakes redirect the report back at you with concussive force.  They look cool though :)
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, unfortunately the tanker style brakes redirect the report back at you with concussive force.  They look cool though :)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As the shooter I dont feel anything at all, and even the volume doesn't bother me , but if you are anywhere within 20 feet, Oh boy, you are in for a surprise
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:28:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I use a King Armory KA-0450 on my .50 Beowulf, they do a pretty good job.  Before I got my Beowulf all I heard was the recoil was similar to a 20 gauge or even a 12 gauge shotgun but I don't get where they figure that.  My Beowulf sure kicked a hell of a lot harder than any shotgun I've ever shot, including my 12 gauge single shot, wood stocked shotgun without a recoil pad.  A muzzle brake and recoil pad was a necessity.  I tried a Magpul Enhanced recoil pad but it didn't help at all so I went with a LimbSaver recoil pad which works great.  It, combined with the KA-0450, has turned this sledgehammer AR15 into a very manageable sledgehammer AR15 that is a ton of fun to shoot.  Bring on the T-Rex's!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I see no need for people to use all these howitzer brakes on a light recoiling rifle like the AR.

Currently I am using the Badger Micro FTE due to its simple design, effectiveness, and smaller size.

Pic:

Lilja .308AR Barrel by wareagle700, on Flickr

I have a SilencerCo Spewar on the way so a Specwar Brake will go on it as soon as it arrives.

Pic:

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the Surefire SFMB762 on my DPMS G2.  The gun weighs 7 pounds empty and it makes it quite manageable.  The side blast is a problem for bystanders, but as the shooter you wouldn't know it was on there other than the reduced recoil.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use a King Armory KA-0450 on my .50 Beowulf, they do a pretty good job.  Before I got my Beowulf all I heard was the recoil was similar to a 20 gauge or even a 12 gauge shotgun but I don't get where they figure that.  My Beowulf sure kicked a hell of a lot harder than any shotgun I've ever shot, including my 12 gauge single shot, wood stocked shotgun without a recoil pad.  A muzzle brake and recoil pad was a necessity.  I tried a Magpul Enhanced recoil pad but it didn't help at all so I went with a LimbSaver recoil pad which works great.  It, combined with the KA-0450, has turned this sledgehammer AR15 into a very manageable sledgehammer AR15 that is a ton of fun to shoot.  Bring on the T-Rex's!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/Brandiwynter/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0202_zps5nwbzn2o.jpg
View Quote

What sort of reduction did you feel? Some of these tanker brakes can reduce up to around 70% reduction. The 308 doesn't kick too much as it is, but it would be nice to have a rifle that handles like a smallbore rifle.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Radial since its a hunting rifle.  Like I said, I was very impressed with its reduction.  But on a tactical rifle that I may lay prone with, I would get the side ports.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I use the Bennie Cooley brake on my AR-10.  Very effective.  Loud as hell.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#15]
i use a fsc brake on my m&p10.Its the same one that comes on a scar 17.it dosnt take all the recoil away however,but it does have some flash hiding capabilities also.i can usually shoot 100 rds thru it before i feel fatigued.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

YHM QD brake.  Because that's the only brake my YHM QD can fits on.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I make my own. Titanium with a barrel shield attached to the back. Ceramic coated black.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Three that I have had very good luck with are the Shrewd but only on high pressure rounds, like the 5.56, but they do not seem to work very well on the lower pressure rounds like the .458 SOCOM (yes, I have a Shrewd for the .458 and it does little that I can tell).
Another break that seems to me to be more affective than the Shrewd is the Midwest Industries.  I have them in 5.56 and .30 cal and they do a heck of a job of keeping the muzzle on target.  Both the Shrewd and the MI will clear your table though if you are not careful.
Last, and this one works very well on the low pressure rounds, is the TROMIX four port fish gill break.  I recently built a 7 pound .458 SOCOM (with mag and optic) and the TROMIX break really tamed it down considerably.  The TROMIX also has the ports angled away from the shooter slightly and the concussion is not near as great on the shooter as it is with the Shrewd and the MI.
Shrewd on a .358 HDH:

Midwest Industries:
.30 cal on left, 5.56 on right, and yes, that is correct.

TROMIX on .458 SOCOM:

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Smith Enterprise on all my .308 AR's.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top