Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 2:49:22 PM EDT
When it came out, and then later when the conversion block was included I thought this Colt would have been a strong seller. The couple I've seen in gun shops are collecting dust, and folks shootin' higher-end 308s seem to be more focused on the LMT and the SCAR.

Are there function or accuracy issues?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
When I got my MWS they had Colts, Armalites and LMTs on the wall.  The Colts were about $700 cheaper than the LMTs.

While the conversion kit/block is a neat gimmick, I went with the LMT due to them having a proven track record.  

eta:  I haven't actually even seen one in the wild (at a range).

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It's an unusual/novelty item.  As such, it's never going to be a huge seller.

From what I have seen, they seem to function decent and are accurate enough.  Colt just dicked it up at the beginning by failing to have the conversion block readily available.  But, that has been remedied now.

With AR prices being at all time lows right now, a lot of guys can afford a dedicated .223 and a dedicated .308.  That's not going to help sales of 901's either.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to own an Armalite.

Then I had a LMT,

I am so glad that both of those are gone and I have a 901.

There is no perfect rifle, but the 901 best fits my needs in the for a 308 rifle.  Being able to occasionally throw on a 5.56 upper is just icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When it came out, and then later when the conversion block was included I thought this Colt would have been a strong seller. The couple I've seen in gun shops are collecting dust, and folks shootin' higher-end 308s seem to be more focused on the LMT and the SCAR.

Are there function or accuracy issues?
View Quote

308 Ars cost 900 dollars.
556 Ars cost 900 dollars.

Rule of arfcom is buy both
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a chance to shoot a friend of mines last week. It's a nice gun and the ability to swap out uppers for 5.56 is a nice feature if you want to have that option.

I like the idea personally of being able carry the other upper, kit and some mags in the same transport case. You could have a 7.62 upper with optic and BUIS zeroed and the same in 5.56. Besides that if ammo in one caliber is gone swap uppers if the other is available and your back in business.

Price is out of my range though at 2000 ish just for the gun. I could get a SR762 and usable optic for a little over that amount.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a crappy design.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
It must not be marketed at all because this is the first time I've heard of it.  Might also be because it weighs 9.4 lbs empty.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It must not be marketed at all because this is the first time I've heard of it.  Might also be because it weighs 9.4 lbs empty.
View Quote

901 9.4 lbs according to the Colt site
LMT MWS 9-98 LBS empty according to LMT store (9 dash 98, wtf sort of units is that)
SR25 ECC 9.12 lbs (KAC website)
SR25 EC 10.2 lbs (KAC website)
LaRue OBR 9.25 lbs (Larue Website)
HK MR762A1 9.84 lbs (HK USA site)

How is 9.4 pounds unreasonable?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The  LaRue, Sig716, are the same weight, the LMT is heavier. only the SCAR and the SR762 are lighter. The Sig and SR762 have had teething issues, while everything I have read about the LE901 has said they are reliable.  

Why is it a bad design? I'm not defending it, just asking what about it is so bad.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Several models of the new DPMS Gen 2s and the M&P10 are less than 8 pounds,
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm very happy with my 901. I Like the option of being able to swap over to a 5.56mm upper if I choose.
All 7.62 AR's are heavier than their 5.56 counterparts, that's kind of  a no-brainer. The 901 is a little chunky, but  manageable. I was impressed with the recoil, it felt like I was shooting a 5.56 gun.
I only have 100 or so rounds downrange with it so far, but it has been absolutely reliable.

For those who live in states that NFA toys are legal, the 901 lower is ideal to SBR, because of the multi caliber capability.

I don't get the 'bad design' comment. The ambi controls are very well laid out, and swapping uppers to 5.56 is easy and quick with the supplied conversion kit. The 901 uses many standard AR15parts, such as receiver extensions, stocks, grips, FCG parts...

I will say that Colt dicked the pony when they released the 901 without the conversion kit....IMHO they should have waited to release it with the kit, or given a conversion kit to those who bought the early release rifles that didn't have them.

Overall, the 901 is an excellent rifle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#12]
As someone who has tried this "mult-purpose feature" in other avenues (motorcycles, MWS, etc), I'm going to go with this...

...because performing the swap from 5.56 to 7.62 is a PITA, and it's easier to just have a 2nd gun.

Same reason I view the quick-change barrel feature of my MWS to be a "feature" I'll never use.  If I need to swap a barrel, then I need to re-zero optics, and that's a PITA.  Particularly if you're swapping calibers as well.  I'd rather just have an additional upper.  Pop pins, swap, done.

If you have a 901, and you're going full-tactical for your family float trip, and may need both calibers to take out the zombies...you're carrying a full gun in either 308 or 5.56.  You're also carrying an additional upper for the "other" caliber, as well as mags and ammo for the other caliber.  What are you -not- carrying?  A lower, pistol grip, and stock (which are lighter and require less space than the upper/mags you're already carrying).  You also only have 1 gun, so when the zombies breach your campsite, going for the fat fuck making smores in the tent next to yours, you're screwed.  

Alternatively, if you simply have another lower/pistol grip/stock...you now have a 2nd gun.  This way your wife can help fend off the Zeds with it.

TLDR: sales gimmick that will rarely be used in practice.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess I'm looking at the LE901 more as a full time 308 rifle. Yeah, the conversion thing is cool, but like some have said, not entirely practical. The 901 seems like a good combo of attributes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Why hasn't the Colt LE-901 taken off?
View Quote

Because it's the answer of a question that hasn't been asked in decades.  When was the last time I wanted a car that was also a boat?  An acoustic guitar that could also play heavy crunch?  The "jack of all trades, master of none" popularity has gone the way of the dodo bird.  It's not only more effective, but also more affordable, to specialize, these days.  Colt's marketing guys either dropped the ball, or finally read their 1980 marketing research reports.

And I don't want to gloss over the fact that in certain situations, say action matches, "light is might".  As already pointed out, some of the new 7.62 (excuse me, .308) rifles weigh little more than their 5.56 counterparts.  Colt goes the other way.  Sorry, but until there is a competition stage ( or HD situation!!) where I "need" to switch from 7.62 to 5.56, the nine-oh-one is d.o.a., IMHO.

Remember, the fastest reload of all is a second gun.  And so it is with the fastest caliber conversion.

In short, Colt finally produced the rifle that would have sold well 20 years ago, but maybe not today.

That said, who knows what the future brings?  Although I can't see it, there may be regulation that changes everything.  I will never say "never".

At the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your chances, I say.  What decade do you live in?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the 901 and the LMT MWS. Both are quality rifles but the ease of barrel swaps gives LMT the edge. That having been said, I would be satisfied if the Colt was my only SHTF 308. I consider my Colt as the battle rifle and the LMT as a my DMR. I'm currently waiting for my dream gun, the LT 18" OBR.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Because it's the answer of a question that hasn't been asked in decades.  When was the last time I wanted a car that was also a boat?  An acoustic guitar that could also play heavy crunch?  The "jack of all trades, master of none" popularity has gone the way of the dodo bird.  It's not only more effective, but also more affordable, to specialize, these days.  Colt's marketing guys either dropped the ball, or finally read their 1980 marketing research reports.

And I don't want to gloss over the fact that in certain situations, say action matches, "light is might".  As already pointed out, some of the new 7.62 (excuse me, .308) rifles weigh little more than their 5.56 counterparts.  Colt goes the other way.  Sorry, but until there is a competition stage ( or HD situation!!) where I "need" to switch from 7.62 to 5.56, the nine-oh-one is d.o.a., IMHO.

Remember, the fastest reload of all is a second gun.  And so it is with the fastest caliber conversion.

In short, Colt finally produced the rifle that would have sold well 20 years ago, but maybe not today.

That said, who knows what the future brings?  Although I can't see it, there may be regulation that changes everything.  I will never say "never".

At the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your chances, I say.  What decade do you live in?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't think we need to piss all over them for offering something different.

To some guys it might make sense.  It may be more appealing to specialize, but it's definitely not more affordable.  You can't get a full .223 and full .308 of the quality of the 901 for less money.

The 901 is not for me, and it is a niche rifle that will likely never have widespread appeal, but its never a bad thing to have new and interesting options.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

To some guys it might make sense.  It may be more appealing to specialize, but it's definitely not more affordable.  You can't get a full .223 and full .308 of the quality of the 901 for less money.

The 901 is not for me, and it is a niche rifle that will likely never have widespread appeal, but its never a bad thing to have new and interesting options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but can you get a full 223 and 308 for the cost of a 901, and a new, quality, complete 223 upper?  Maybe, maybe not.  I don't know.  It's not really apples to apples otherwise.  As you said, though, more options benefit the consumer.  As such, I'm all for it.  However, the OP asked why the 901 wasn't taking off.  I offered my opinion on the subject.  :)
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#18]
but can you get a full 223 and 308 for the cost of a 901
View Quote

+1

When I last checked (couple minutes ago), CDNN had a Colt going for $699 and there were at least 3 manufacturers of 308 AR-types in the $950 - 1050 range.  Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#19]
The price point is a good argument, but I think that the 901 wasn't meant to compete at that price point. Rather, more at the higher price point.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#20]
When I first heard about the 901 I was pretty excited about it, seemed like a great idea but investing in it without the conversion piece and not knowing when, or if,  it would ever be released I wasn't going to buy one.  In the meantime I decided I wanted to buy a Colt LE6920 with restricted rollmark before they were all gone so I got one of those.  So now, I'm not sure it makes sense to buy a 901 .308 that I can swap the upper off my 6920 when I can buy a "standard" .308 AR that is just as good or better for less money and have two complete rifles.  Now if I didn't own a 5.56 yet but wanted one and a .308, it would make sense to buy a .308 Colt 901 and then just a 5.56 upper but not when I already have a complete AR15.  Although, I guess if you wanted both and wanted to pack light, you could get the 901 .308 and just pack a 5.56 upper but that's a pretty small niche to justify such a pricey purchase.  I think not having the conversion adapter to go with the gun when it was introduced took almost all the wind out of it's sails and sales, effectively leaving it struggling to gain any ground in the market.  I would still buy one but it would have to priced competitively with other standard .308 AR's.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#21]
The market place dictates the rules. Apparently there are very few who agree with the "conversion is a good feature" crowd. My personal take is, I would of loved to have a COLT LIGHTWEIGHT carbine in the 308 class.
IF they manufactured the parts just like their 5.56 (shot peened MPI bolts, quality tested barrels, multiple options for sights, hand guards, barrel contours, etc.)
My Colt SP-1 carbine purchased in 1982 has thousands and thousands of rounds thru it with magazines that were already that gold anodized worn down patina when I started using them in the USMC in 1978 and were accidently left in the bottom of my duffle bag upon discharge. It has never double fed or FTF, FTE. EVER And it is still scary accurate( 1:12 twist) and runs like a sewing machine even when using a 120 round Chinese wind up drum mag.
My opinion is they stepped on their dick again. Just like when they let a 100 other companies build a better 1911 even though they had them from the start. same with the Det. Spl, and their other revolvers, both the modern ones and the Peacemaker,1851 and 1860. Pretty much telling their civilian customer base to F*%K Off when it came to the AR15 for quite a few years, losing the Guv'ment contract to FN, rereleasing the 380 Mustang, etc, etc.
I am surprised they are still  solvent, honesty.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#22]

I see the 7.62/5.56 conversion as a gimmick or at most "a nice to have".  If the 901 is going to gain significant market share, it is going to have to do it on the merits of it's reliability, accuracy, value, ....  

I do think Colt marketing, by putting almost total emphasis on the 7.62/5.556 capability missed the mark.  The gun itself seems to be neither the lightweight carbine or DMR-type guns that are currently in vogue.   Perhaps Colt could come out with a lighter weight version  (lose the quad rail, slim the barrel?  and go after the light weight niche or highlight the accuracy and go after the DMR market.  The carrier conversion thing though is probably not enough to propel it to super success in the marketplace.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Good thoughts here.  I think it has a lot do with the lack of marketing myself.

My 901 is a high quality, accurate, and reliable weapon.  It's very happy with 175-grain Federal- very accurate.  I do like the flexibility offered by the conversion- just makes it more versatile.  It's pretty much invisible, doesn't add any complexity or weight, and is easy to swap- so I don't understand why it would be singled out as the cause of the rifles "unpopularity".

Last time I checked, 901s were price-competitive with similar quality .308s.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I would be very interested in a Colt lightweight, accurate .308 AR that wasn't priced out of reach of most people.  That "We're the best there is so you're gonna pay to shoot our guns" stuff that worked when Colt was essentially the only big dog on the porch won't work now when the porch is so full of big dogs they are nipping at each other.  I've owned Colts from day one, back then they were the only best of the best but now there are others so sticking with Colt is more a case of choice than need so if Colt prices themselves out of range I'll go elsewhere, as I'm sure others would.  Still, just based on brand loyalty and the quality that Colt is already known for, they are poised to make a run at the current "lightweight" .308 market.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Me, I'm just not interested in Transformers or guns that act like Transformers.

I never looked at it "hands on".

But watching the video and seeing the gimmickry of the actor's changing calibers during a fire fight turned me off. The thought that kept going through my head was "yeah right".

Marketing plays a huge roll. Which is why we have so many useless firearms accessories. But when marketing is cheesy, combined with a cheesy concept, well you get what you get.

Just my feeling on it...
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I think it comes down to 3 things

1) All the hype about a modular system but they didn't give you the .223/5.56 conversion block.  I was among a lot of people who per-ordered them and was counting the days, then it arrives and "where the f*ck is the conversion block?".  I am a loyal Colt fan but when I called Colt customer service and even tried and was willing to pay for the block they didn't have them.  After 6 months I said screw it and sold it to buy a LMT.  Had they not marketed it as a modular weapon system I would have probably bought it at $2,000 like I did as it has a monolithic rail and a pretty accurate rifle, but I was just so pissed at them as the expectations were not how Colt normally is.

2) Inventory is super low- where are they all?  Many other AR-10's are all over the place, like Sig 716's, SCAR-17 (I know they are not 10's but many people put them in the mix), Armalite and even Bushmasters seem to be more prevalent so I assume Colt isn't stocking dealers with the 901's

3) The biggest problem is marketing. At first there was a ton but then they stopped I guess because it wasn't a modular weapon SYSTEM without the block which they didn't have.  After that they didn't even try to market it really.  Just like they are doing now, did you know they have a dedicated AR-10 out and for sale right now?  I bet most people, especially non-AR-10 gurus know what the Colt CRL-16 and he CRL-18 are.  They need to pick it up as Colt's no longer sell them self!

CRL-16
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think it comes down to 3 things

1) All the hype about a modular system but they didn't give you the .223/5.56 conversion block.  I was among a lot of people who per-ordered them and was counting the days, then it arrives and "where the f*ck is the conversion block?".  I am a loyal Colt fan but when I called Colt customer service and even tried and was willing to pay for the block they didn't have them.  After 6 months I said screw it and sold it to buy a LMT.  Had they not marketed it as a modular weapon system I would have probably bought it at $2,000 like I did as it has a monolithic rail and a pretty accurate rifle, but I was just so pissed at them as the expectations were not how Colt normally is.

2) Inventory is super low- where are they all?  Many other AR-10's are all over the place, like Sig 716's, SCAR-17 (I know they are not 10's but many people put them in the mix), Armalite and even Bushmasters seem to be more prevalent so I assume Colt isn't stocking dealers with the 901's

3) The biggest problem is marketing. At first there was a ton but then they stopped I guess because it wasn't a modular weapon SYSTEM without the block which they didn't have.  After that they didn't even try to market it really.  Just like they are doing now, did you know they have a dedicated AR-10 out and for sale right now?  I bet most people, especially non-AR-10 gurus know what the Colt CRL-16 and he CRL-18 are.  They need to pick it up as Colt's no longer sell them self!

CRL-16
http://i58.tinypic.com/ezh3mc.jpg
View Quote

That's news to me.  I thought knew about all the large frame AR's.  Looks decent, 8.6 pounds not terrible.  Not a huge fan of "competition" rifles with stainless barrels but that's just my preference.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It is a crappy design.
View Quote

Please elaborate.

It has well-laid out ambi controls.

Mono upper allows mounting optics anywhere, and has a steel reinforcement in the cam pin area.

Lower receiver is reinforced and its geometry matches 5.56 rifles, which allows for a shorter OAL with the butt retracted than any other 16" .308.

Where's the "crappyness" that I'm missing?

Planning on getting a matching 6940 upper to go with mine, with 1-6x magnifying optic on the 7.62 upper & Aimpoint on the 6940.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Planning on getting a matching 6940 upper to go with mine, with 1-6x magnifying optic on the 7.62 upper & Aimpoint on the 6940.

View Quote

FYI Bud's is selling new LE6940CK kits at $900 but also is "taking offers".  This is complete upper with BCG, charging handle, and Matech BUIS.  I've never seen it so cheap. They accepted my lower offer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#30]
$900 for a complete upper is a good deal but I would spend the extra $269 and get the lower with it.  For $1,169 you can get a new, complete 6940 rifle here shipped!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#31]
That is a good price, thanks for the heads up.

Remember, the upper is less than $900 . . . by a substantial amount . . .
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd be more focused on the LE-901 as a 308 rifle exclusively. It is not entirely a DMR nor entirely a light battle rifle, but if you are looking for one 308 rifle that can do a bit of both this might be it. Just wish it has a faster twist for heavier bullets.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:01:10 AM EDT
[#33]
the dual caliber option is interesting as an SBR, but good luck getting the .308 upper chopped given unique tools for the colt monolithic upper...

Other than that, AR10s were never huge sellers.  It wasn't that long ago that Armalite was basically 90% of the AR10 market and they were never selling loads of them...   and that was when .308 was just a little more expensive than 5.56mm ammo.   And the only .308 competition out there was M1As and a smattering of FAL/G3 clones.

Now you seem to have a bazillion AR10 vendors and the SCAR 17 which is almost a defacto standard for parts vs. all the different AR10 specs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:09:36 AM EDT
[#34]
The unique thing it brings to the table is that the lower converts... Except to get that feature, you pay more than an AR15 lower costs above the competition. It solves a "problem" that doesn't really exist, and costs more money. If it were $500-$700 cheaper, it would be more competitive IMO.

I wanted to like it, but it doesn't compete at that price point and weight IMO. You can get the lighter Ruger, an additional AR 15 lower and a Geissele trigger for the same money.

Or you can get the M&P 10 or other .308 ARs and an AR 15 for $2,000.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Or you can get the M&P 10 or other .308 ARs and an AR 15 for $2,000.
View Quote

The M&P10 has a great rep for accuracy, and so do some other cheaper 308 ARs, but are they as sturdy and reliable as the 901? The M&P has a really thin barrel and I wonder how it does for accuracy when hot. Others, which may have barrel profiles and twist rates I prefer, aren't respected as reliable with a wide range of ammo.

When I think of a 308 semi rifle, I'm considering the LMT, the 901, and the SCAR 17 due to their reputations for reliability and accuracy. The LMT is a DMR, and the SCAR is a battle rifle. The Colt is a little of both and, by far, the least expensive. I will probably never use the 5.56 conversion thing.

While there are some reasonable criticisms of the 901, none are related to reliability and accuracy. I haven't made up my mind and won't have the funds for a while , so I continue to research.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:51:52 AM EDT
[#36]
I have one and I am happy with it, save for the weight.  It seems to weigh as much as a piston rifle.  I think the main reason it didn't take off is because Colt did not originally include the conversion kit, then they went on hiatus on actually putting enough rifles on the street.  When they did get more out, the price was quite a bit higher, and that is right about the time the AR market was coming to a screeching halt.  If gun sales were better, and if Colt/dealers had not raised the price so much, I think it would have done much better.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#37]
It's too high for what it is, and the whole concept is too complicated to appeal to the average snuffy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#38]
If I could find a 901 for a decent price, I'd buy it. 1 stamp to have 2 caliber SBR would be great, though I doubt i'd use a .308 SBR much.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's too high for what it is, and the whole concept is too complicated to appeal to the average snuffy.
View Quote

1. Remove 7.62 upper.
2. Switch out 7.62 buffer/spring with 5.56 buffer/spring.
3. Attach magwell adapter to 5.56 upper.
4. Drop into lower and push pins back in.

What's so complicated???

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top