Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2014 2:32:48 PM EDT
Ordered up an new dpms gii hunter, was at the range today and it will not cycle 150, 165 or 168 grain rounds, ran 175's pretty well tho. All the casing have heavy scratch marks on the and some of the casings had marks from the twin ejectors. It will fire the round but not push the bolt back far enough to catch the next rd and feed, it did fail to eject a few rds when i first started shooting. Any advise or help would be sweet. Thanks Brent....Just an FYI im pretty new to the AR world and new to AR15.com  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it have an adjustable gas block?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome. Were any of these reloaded ammunition?  Need more specifics on the types & makes of ammo.

Did you lubricate the bolt carrier group well?  I run my large AR's with a thick coat of oil on them, mainly Slip2000.

Quoted:
Does it have an adjustable gas block?
View Quote

The GII hunter does not have an adjustable gas block. None of the 6 introductory GII models had an adjustable gas block that I saw at SHOT.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
No reloads...150 grain Remington UMC to get it on paper, 165 hornady superformance sst's just cause i had it laying around from a hunting rifle, 168 GMM, 175 Fioochi match rounds which have serria match king bullets loaded in them. I did lube the bolt carrier pretty heavily from what i though with just rem oil i had around. I know dpms recommends remington "claw" oil for lube
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure that Superformance is such a good idea in a gas gun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Its not...its not good in any gun from what ive saw...i learned its not go in the ar after 2rds...got marks from the twin ejectors imprinted in the base of the casing
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure that Superformance is such a good idea in a gas gun.
View Quote

Its not...its not good in any gun from what ive saw...i learned its not go in the ar after 2rds...got marks from the twin ejectors imprinted in the base of the casing
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No reloads...150 grain Remington UMC to get it on paper, 165 hornady superformance sst's just cause i had it laying around from a hunting rifle, 168 GMM, 175 Fioochi match rounds which have serria match king bullets loaded in them. I did lube the bolt carrier pretty heavily from what i though with just rem oil i had around. I know dpms recommends remington "claw" oil for lube
View Quote

The Superformance line is notorious for exhibiting harsh treatment on brass in a gasser, because the burn curve maintains higher pressures down the barrel, while optimizing peak pressure in the chamber to stay away from max.  This is indicative of a slow-burning powder meant to drive the longer bearing surface bullet at higher mv's from a bolt gun.

When you hit the port hard with a slow burning powder, it has violent effects on the operating system.

Superformance in Gas Operated Firearms

Do you reload?  I got into .308 gassers knowing that I would only be hand-loading for them, except for my 1st AR10, which was an Armalite AR10T 24" barrel blaster that shot amazingly well.

I can't think of many factory loads that I would even consider to shoot through a large firing pin hole AR10 today. High pressures and slow burning powders mixed with long bearing surface bullets (the ones I shoot) = port pressure issues unless you hand load.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Pull the bolt out of the carrier and make sure the gas rings aren't lined up. Had that happen to be the case on a brand new ar15 before...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pull the bolt out of the carrier and make sure the gas rings aren't lined up. Had that happen to be the case on a brand new ar15 before...
View Quote

Myth, unless the bore in the carrier isn't machined to spec, and that's pretty rare nowadays.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:07:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I would call DPMS, something is not right, my g2 hunter has shot 147, 150 and 168g ammo from several manufacturers with no issues at all.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Loose that crap rem oil and soak it down with 5/30 mobil one and hand cycle the action about 200 times then try it again. If that does not work send it back to DPMS.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

All of the GII rifles are test fired multiple times for function at the factory so if you immediately have problems out of the box something has changed.

1st issue we see is lack of lubrication (Rem-Oil)
2nd issue ammo (Superformance/reloads)
3rd have you changed anything on the rifle?

Our Panther Claw is specifically designed for MSR's and using any light (Rem-Oil) oil is not advised. During break-in we recommend generously lubricating the rifle.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ordered up an new dpms gii hunter, was at the range today and it will not cycle 150, 165 or 168 grain rounds, ran 175's pretty well tho. All the casing have heavy scratch marks on the and some of the casings had marks from the twin ejectors. It will fire the round but not push the bolt back far enough to catch the next rd and feed, it did fail to eject a few rds when i first started shooting. Any advise or help would be sweet. Thanks Brent....Just an FYI im pretty new to the AR world and new to AR15.com  Thanks

All of the GII rifles are test fired multiple times for function at the factory so if you immediately have problems out of the box something has changed.

Our Panther Claw is specifically designed for MSR's and using any light (Rem-Oil) oil is not advised. During break-in we recommend generously lubricating the rifle.  

This is service OP listen and work with them.    That G II series is an awesome looking platform with a lot of potential.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There you go OP, you've got the man himself helping you now. Work with them and I'd bet you'll be fine in no time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll try changing the lube I use( I just used rem oil cause it was all I had but I did use a shit load of it)
I never used reloads...don't even own reloading equipment (yet)..all factory ammo...the superformance was used just cause I had it laying around as well
Only thing I've changed was the stock ( factory stock didn't fit me at all)
What's your thoughts on the chamber being super rough? I've never seen a chamber that rough before even on surplus guns. Thanks Brent
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#16]
What did you do to change the stock?  I kind of liked the MOE Rifle stock that I had.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Have both a GII Hunter and AP4 in-bound, but haven't shot them yet. I did recently get a GII SASS, however. When I got the SASS, I noticed the entire bolt and chamber were heavily coated in a cosmoline-like grease, more so than any of the couple dozen ARs I've bought in the past. This was a very heavy and sticky grease that would certainly impede cycling. Not sure if yours was shipped that way. If so, Step one is to get that stuff off the BCG, and out of the chamber, replacing it with something slick.

AR-10s like to be shot even wetter than AR-15s. I don't have enough time with my new GII(s) to verfify that's the case, but suspect it still is. Regarding oils, my stand-by for 308 ARs has always been Mobile 1.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Roughly 100 rounds out of a GII, no failures except from out of spec ammo, and those were a couple of FTF's as the bolt wasn't completely forward. Not the guns fault in any way.

Gun came pretty wet with oil, did not need further lubrication to ensure smooth operation. I personally think DPMS is playing it safe by saying they need to be pretty wet with oil initially.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What stock did you put on and was the correct buffer and spring used?

Did it cycle fine before you replaced the stock?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Only thing I've changed was the stock ( factory stock didn't fit me at all)

What stock did you put on and was the correct buffer and spring used?

Did it cycle fine before you replaced the stock?

I put a magpul PRS on it...(needed a lil cheek well to get a proper view thru a scope) never touched the buffer or spring...just slid the stock on the factory buffer tube and was done
Nope never cycled from the get go...put about 20-30 rds thru it with the factory stock and it still did the same thing
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What did you do to change the stock?  I kind of liked the MOE Rifle stock that I had.
View Quote

I put a magpul PRS on it...had to get a lil more cheek well on it to look thru a scope(short necked lol). I know it added weight but it balanced out pretty well and fits me way better now
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Loose that crap rem oil and soak it down with 5/30 mobil one and hand cycle the action about 200 times then try it again. If that does not work send it back to DPMS.
View Quote

This. AR10 is a lot more mass with the moving parts. This will smooth it out some. I actually just used a case of surplus ammo and straight 30 weight oil to do the same thing. Smooth as silk now.

The Hornady Superformance is not really semi ammo. It is to eek out the best from a bolt gun's accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#23]
This guy had the same problem and seemed to fix it.

http://youtu.be/nQG35AFjwdc

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Rotating the gas block 1/8" when it's held in place with set screws would be a horrible idea, IF the set screws are already lined up with the dimples.

Take a look at the picture: http://s4.photobucket.com/user/astross89/media/g2barrel1.jpg.html

What's going to hold the gas block in place if it's rotated 1/8"? Perhaps loosening it up and re-seating the block might get ports that are very close but not quite right to where they need to be, but I'd be willing to bet you can tell if the set screws are lined up with the dimples based on how deep the set screws are in the gas block. The video isn't very clear in this respect, but as best I can tell, the set screws are fully seated, which leads me to believe they are lined up with the dimples. With the set screws, either it will be lined up with the dimples, or it won't.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This. AR10 is a lot more mass with the moving parts. This will smooth it out some. I actually just used a case of surplus ammo and straight 30 weight oil to do the same thing. Smooth as silk now.

The Hornady Superformance is not really semi ammo. It is to eek out the best from a bolt gun's accuracy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK sorry for the long time between updates...busy as hell with work...ok i lubed everything well with straight 30 weight motor oil...she runs like a dream now for sure( lesson learned with the light oil). My question now is a suggested weight/type of oil to run in it for winter...gonna try and do some yote hunting between work. Thanks for the previous advise and look forward to more advise about the winter weight oil.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Rotating the gas block 1/8" when it's held in place with set screws would be a horrible idea, IF the set screws are already lined up with the dimples.

Take a look at the picture: http://s4.photobucket.com/user/astross89/media/g2barrel1.jpg.html

What's going to hold the gas block in place if it's rotated 1/8"? Perhaps loosening it up and re-seating the block might get ports that are very close but not quite right to where they need to be, but I'd be willing to bet you can tell if the set screws are lined up with the dimples based on how deep the set screws are in the gas block. The video isn't very clear in this respect, but as best I can tell, the set screws are fully seated, which leads me to believe they are lined up with the dimples. With the set screws, either it will be lined up with the dimples, or it won't.

View Quote

That's why if I get a GII I wont even shoot it until I swap out the gas block for a vltor/dd/etc quality clamp-on gas block - after carefully measuring and verifying and marking before re-assy to assure barrel gas port to block gas port concentricity.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This guy had the same problem and seemed to fix it.

http://youtu.be/nQG35AFjwdc

View Quote

Negative!  That is a colossal abortion, and whoever told him to do that needs to choke themselves.  I thought I had seen it all, but that is the most retarded way of trying to deal with the gas system on these rifles.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#29]
My g2 shoots wolf 150g crap ammo great.  Lube it and you should be fine.  That rem oil is poo.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top