Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2014 11:06:29 PM EDT
Gents I need your knowledge. I just traded my MK12 for a LMT MWS and a Trijicon. The MWS is one of the very early ones I believe, and I have noticed a couple of things since I got it last week and would like some info.

#1 From what I read the two bolts that hold the barrel in are supposed to have a flat washer beneath them. Mine does not have any type of washer. I am sure of it, I removed the bolts and barrel just for fun.

#2 The previous owner installed a magpul trigger guard. I hate the look of it, and would like to put a standard flat one just like they are issued. Does it take a standard flat trigger guard or does it require some type of larger AR-10 trigger guard.

#3 In every picture I look at online of MWS's they all have a standard grey finish buffer tube/receiver extension you see on every AR. Mine has a very dark black smooth extension that feels like it has some type of coating on it. Now don't get me wrong, I like it, and it makes adjusting the sopmod feel very smooth. I am just not seeing it on other MWS's. Does anyone else have one like this? Or was this something possibly replaced by the previous owner.

#4 My bolt catch/release feels very loose. I can wiggle it from side to side and up and down. And when I lift it, it does not immediately drop from the spring pressure like all my AR's do. I have only shot 40 rounds through it and had zero issues, and it caught the bolt after the last round on both mags, but I see this as being a possible problem. Is this any easy fix? and where could I order a new spring?

#5 My bolt does not have the dual ejectors that come standard now. Did they change this because it was an issue with .308 ammo or just for the hell of beefing it up for the Brits? And can I buy just a new bolt if I desire or do I have to get a full bolt carrier? And how much do those run?

Thanks for all the help fellas!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:03:51 AM EDT
[#1]
It appears your washer is missing, I would call LMT and ask to get a new one.

You can change out the guard with out any issues.

That looks like some other brand aftermarket receiver extension.

I wouldn't worry about the bolt unless you have issues.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

But is it a standard trigger guard or longer?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standard
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Washers are missing -they help distribute the load- so you don't create an indentation in the aluminum from tightening the bolts
standard trigger guard is fine
the lmt receiver extension/buffer tube IS black, the grey coating is a dry lubricant (the same stuff is inside the upper receiver). Maybe the other owner did not like the black lines that develop from use (lubricant wears out). He could have removed the coating or replaced the extension (the ar10 extension is longer than a regular ar).

Some bolt catches wiggle more than others. Unless you are having function issues I would not worry about it.

I have over 2k rounds on mine with the standard bolt...no issues. Last time I spoke with lmt they had something like 20k rounds on one of their test mws, and everything was still within spec.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#5]
If you wana trade ill send you my trigger guard off my mws for yours.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have no facts to back this up but I heard the dual ejector bolts were optimized for full auto variants.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Should be able to swap the bolt if you wanted to, no need to do the full carrier.

Mine has the grey finish extension so yours looks to be aftermarket.

As was said, the trigger guard is a standard ar sized unit.

As for the bolt stop, try replacing the roll pin?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gents I need your knowledge. I just traded my MK12 for a LMT MWS and a Trijicon. The MWS is one of the very early ones I believe, and I have noticed a couple of things since I got it last week and would like some info.

Not an expert here by any means but yours looks like a late 2011 or 2012 model.

#1 From what I read the two bolts that hold the barrel in are supposed to have a flat washer beneath them. Mine does not have any type of washer. I am sure of it, I removed the bolts and barrel just for fun.

- The steel plate beneath the screws is the washer.  There are no individual washers under the bolt heads.

#2 The previous owner installed a magpul trigger guard. I hate the look of it, and would like to put a standard flat one just like they are issued. Does it take a standard flat trigger guard or does it require some type of larger AR-10 trigger guard.

- Standard AR as has been previously pointed out.

#3 In every picture I look at online of MWS's they all have a standard grey finish buffer tube/receiver extension you see on every AR. Mine has a very dark black smooth extension that feels like it has some type of coating on it. Now don't get me wrong, I like it, and it makes adjusting the sopmod feel very smooth. I am just not seeing it on other MWS's. Does anyone else have one like this? Or was this something possibly replaced by the previous owner.

- Is the castle nut staked or does it look like it's been replaced?  As has been replied before, the grey finish is dry film lube and will wear off.  My LMT tube has almost all of the dry film lube but it looks kinda glossy where it has worn away.

#4 My bolt catch/release feels very loose. I can wiggle it from side to side and up and down. And when I lift it, it does not immediately drop from the spring pressure like all my AR's do. I have only shot 40 rounds through it and had zero issues, and it caught the bolt after the last round on both mags, but I see this as being a possible problem. Is this any easy fix? and where could I order a new spring?

- It should return under spring pressure and it should be an easy fix.  You can take out the screw holding it on and check to see if the spring and plunger are assembled properly or if there is some foreign matter keeping it from returning.  

#5 My bolt does not have the dual ejectors that come standard now. Did they change this because it was an issue with .308 ammo or just for the hell of beefing it up for the Brits? And can I buy just a new bolt if I desire or do I have to get a full bolt carrier? And how much do those run?

- Not sure if they had to change it but the double ejector bolt pumps out the empties with more authority. LMT might exchange your entire bolt carrier group for free, but if there's nothing wrong with it you may want to keep it the way it is.  

Thanks for all the help fellas!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:33:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Castle nut looks to be staked, I'd bet that is the factory RE with the dry film cleaned/ stripped off.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Castle nut looks to be staked, I'd bet that is the factory RE with the dry film cleaned/ stripped off.
View Quote

Yeah I checked last night and it is staked.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 ways to confirm if it's an LMT receiver extension.  Pull off the stock and see if there are holes in the bottom of the stock adjustment points.  LMT does this to let water drain from the weapon faster.  Or look at the rim of the receiver extension where the threads are, there should be a notch at the edge on the bottom to hold the buffer retainer in place:

Also, the bolt is an easy swap, just order it directly from LMT, no need to swap the carrier unless you want the full auto carrier just for kicks.
The flat washer is a one piece insert that fits into the entire space where the bolts are.  Just so you know that they are not individual washers (in case that is what you were looking for)
The trigger guard is an easy swap as well, just order that from LMT when you order the new bolt.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have no facts to back this up but I heard the dual ejector bolts were optimized for full auto variants.
View Quote

I don't think so.  The only reason I say that is because all LMT MWS systems come with the dual ejector bolts.  Even semi-auto's.
The MWS's sold to the British Army where semi auto, and they have dual ejectors too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't think so.  The only reason I say that is because all LMT MWS systems come with the dual ejector bolts.  Even semi-auto's.
The MWS's sold to the British Army where semi auto, and they have dual ejectors too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info! I know there are full auto versions of the MWS and I figured to simplify production lines they just upgraded bolts for the whole line.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info! I know there are full auto versions of the MWS and I figured to simplify production lines they just upgraded bolts for the whole line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, that's probably true.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#15]
#4- Your bolt catch will likely become an issue....... Mine is just like yours in that it wiggles and has zero spring pressure pushing it back down. I am not sure anymore exactly how many rounds my rifle has through it but I would guess in the area of 5k between 308 and 6.5cm. In late May I had to swap to a backup rifle in a match because the bolt kept getting caught every other round. I tried to pull the screw holding the catch in to see what the problem is. Evidently the screw is red loctited in and I broke my allen wrench in it. When I get time I will work on getting it fixed or sending the lower back to lmt.

#5- A year or more ago, I had an issue with the single ejector bolt in that the ejector stuck down. I was shooting FGMM .308 and for some reason the ejector got stuck. Sent the upper back to LMT and they returned it with the dual ejector bolt. I still have a spare single ejector bolt that I bought off of a member here. More than likely you'll be fine with the dual ejector bolt but in the event you have issues LMT will return it with a dual ejector bolt.

In addition to the questions you ask in this thread, I would buy a couple of replacement barrel screws....... they will break and you will be up the creek. I broke one of mine the weekend before the gap grind last year. No replacements so the LMT had to stay in the safe while a back up rifle was used. Now I have 4 back up barrel screws.

These LMT MWS are great rifles. I'm not sure what role you are planning to run the rifle in, but I love mine in a precision role. However, I am planning to move to a 6cm bolt gun as a primary match rifle but the mws is plenty capable for anything I have tried to do with it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
#4- Your bolt catch will likely become an issue....... Mine is just like yours in that it wiggles and has zero spring pressure pushing it back down. I am not sure anymore exactly how many rounds my rifle has through it but I would guess in the area of 5k between 308 and 6.5cm. In late May I had to swap to a backup rifle in a match because the bolt kept getting caught every other round. I tried to pull the screw holding the catch in to see what the problem is. Evidently the screw is red loctited in and I broke my allen wrench in it. When I get time I will work on getting it fixed or sending the lower back to lmt.

#5- A year or more ago, I had an issue with the single ejector bolt in that the ejector stuck down. I was shooting FGMM .308 and for some reason the ejector got stuck. Sent the upper back to LMT and they returned it with the dual ejector bolt. I still have a spare single ejector bolt that I bought off of a member here. More than likely you'll be fine with the dual ejector bolt but in the event you have issues LMT will return it with a dual ejector bolt.

In addition to the questions you ask in this thread, I would buy a couple of replacement barrel screws....... they will break and you will be up the creek. I broke one of mine the weekend before the gap grind last year. No replacements so the LMT had to stay in the safe while a back up rifle was used. Now I have 4 back up barrel screws.

These LMT MWS are great rifles. I'm not sure what role you are planning to run the rifle in, but I love mine in a precision role. However, I am planning to move to a 6cm bolt gun as a primary match rifle but the mws is plenty capable for anything I have tried to do with it.
View Quote

How much did LMT charge for back up barrel bolts? That's not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Keep the Magpul trigger guard. These are heavy rifles. You'll tear yourself up on the knuckle with a standard one, especially once you throw a decent optic on it. Who cares about looks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#18]
My bolts do not have washed, ad one poster said, the steel in the threaded inserts are the washers.

SECOND IN CAPS:  if you remove the trigger guard, heed my advise, support the rear tangs where the roll pin is to be removed, LMT  uses roll pins that are tighter than a frogs ass...one wrong move and you will be in trouble.  I have my gunsmith replace my trigger guards...lastly keep the MP trigger guard, they are better than the standard.  Also will give you more room when wearing gloves.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually got them here. They are just over $10 per so they aren't cheap.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top