Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2014 2:07:38 PM EDT
So I have been doing a ton of research and looking at all options of getting an AR-10. I have looked at building my own, S&W M&P10, Ruger SR-762, Sig Sauer 716, DPMS GII, CMMG, and many others. My main plan for the rifle is to have a weapon that covers medium ranges, but could also be used in close and longer ranges if necessary. I basically want a (somewhat) lightweight AR-10 with a scope (probably something like 1-6x). I want to keep it to 16" (or 18" if necessary) since I am not planning on taking it out far and want to keep it lightweight. In the future I plan on getting a suppressor to run on it as well. Another big factor is that I live in Maryland so I wouldn't be able to buy anything that comes with a 20rd magazine, unless the company I buy it from would send a 10rd or no magazine. If possible, I want to keep the cost around $1500 (scope not included).
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#1]
PSA
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Own a M&P 10. With Nikon .308 scope, and some backup folders JIC.  I had to go with a Mag-pul PRS to get close to my theoretical 16.75 LOP. ( Damn Monkey Arms)  Also swapped hand guard for a Troy to have a bipod mount.  But I gotta warn you LIGHT ain't nowhere in the picture. Accuracy is pretty good with of the shelve ammo 168 - 180 grain.  If you are in the "Average" size range, it might be a bit much. I'm 6'6" 280+/_ sooooo, it about right.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Some models of the new DPMS Gen 2 and the M&P10 both come in under 8 lbs in their stock form.  Either one of those would work for your specifications and both can be had for <$1500.  The M&P does have an 18" barrel though.  Maybe the DPMS AP4 or MOE version?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some models of the new DPMS Gen 2 and the M&P10 both come in under 8 lbs in their stock form.  Either one of those would work for your specifications and both can be had for <$1500.  The M&P does have an 18" barrel though.  Maybe the DPMS AP4 or MOE version?
View Quote

This
I am happy with my DPMS G2 so far (recon) have a 1-4x it works, and came suppressor ready
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This
I am happy with my DPMS G2 so far (recon) have a 1-4x it works, and came suppressor ready
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I'm looking everywhere for one to hold in person. Does it feel significantly lighter than a regular lr-308? If it feels closer to a ar-15 then I'm sold. I had a lr-308 and it was way heavier than a ar-15.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Your "research" needs a do over as there is only one manufacturer of AR10s.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a very helpful post
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Cabela's sells them, have one local? Call and ask if they have any in stock. May have to ask for the gun library to get a straight answer.

Some of the models are lighter (~7.5lbs) but the Recon (for instance) while handy, is still heavy IMO at 8.5lbs.

New handguard and barrel profiling can shave 1.5lbs off the Recon with little effort, but you will spend ~$1500 on a gun, to turn around and strip it and spend more money. But such is the case with the 308 AR. Build it yourself, or buy what is out there and modify to your needs. Neither method is "cheap".
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct. Your list doesnt include an ar10. Just a bunch of 308 ar's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're thinking G2 carbine, you might not want the heavy barrel Recon.  Think AP4 with a free float rail.  Slightly under 7 pounds.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. Thanks for the very informative and helpful posts I am well aware that Armalite is the only "real" producer of the AR-10.  I think you guys knew what I meant, as did all the other people who responded and many manufactures (such as PSA) who list parts for AR-10s (that obviously aren't Armalite).

Thank you to everyone for giving me good information/advice. I am still undecided on exactly what I want. The AP4 looks nice and lightweight, but with the additional cost of putting on everything I want it will be well above what it would cost to simply build everything myself. There are so many different options for AR's chambered in .308 to choose from.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:08:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get over it already. It's a damn nomenclature, it's just a couple of letters and numbers. This isn't Highlander. I love Armalite mags, and that's it. The company itself is stale, I hate cats, and they are so up the butt tight about their name and other companies designing lowers that use their mags. The whole cockiness over the name has really ruined the credibility of the company as a whole.

No one wants to be part of a very small, smug society who thinks their farts smell like strawberries and cream. Before anyone argues, just go through the archives here and see the fake sense of entitlement many, many Armalite rifle owners have.

Modern Armalite is in no way related to Armalite of the 50s besides the name. So, technically there is only one AR10, and it died a long time ago with the original Fairchild/Armalite.

So, heed your own advice and do more research.

ETA: Build your own, many good receivers out there. You'll get exactly what you want and save a little bit as well as opposed to buying complete and swapping parts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:26:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wow. Thanks for the very informative and helpful posts I am well aware that Armalite is the only "real" producer of the AR-10.  I think you guys knew what I meant, as did all the other people who responded and many manufactures (such as PSA) who list parts for AR-10s (that obviously aren't Armalite).

Thank you to everyone for giving me good information/advice. I am still undecided on exactly what I want. The AP4 looks nice and lightweight, but with the additional cost of putting on everything I want it will be well above what it would cost to simply build everything myself. There are so many different options for AR's chambered in .308 to choose from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the SFMB762, the MOE stock, and the BCM grip on hand so the only thing I bought to build this is the Midwest Industries rail, I think $230, on top of the $1,100 DPMS G2 AP4.  If you had to buy the other items, you're looking at about $1,550ish maybe.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#14]
OP:

Not to pile on the AR-10-thing but seriously, take a long hard look at a "B" model AR-10.  Best magazine system in the business and allows somewhat greater OAL as well.

Yeah, there is a reason some of us AR-10'ers are pretty loyal to ArmaLite!!

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP:

Not to pile on the AR-10-thing but seriously, take a long hard look at a "B" model AR-10.  Best magazine system in the business and allows somewhat greater OAL as well.

Yeah, there is a reason some of us AR-10'ers are pretty loyal to ArmaLite!!

View Quote

Exactly. And lets be honest.......i havent stumbled upon any other gun discussion where a firearm was purposely mislabeled.  If its an armalite, its an ar10. Otherwise its a 308 ar. Is that so hard?  

Thatisall
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Get over it already. It's a damn nomenclature, it's just a couple of letters and numbers. This isn't Highlander. I love Armalite mags, and that's it. The company itself is stale, I hate cats, and they are so up the butt tight about their name and other companies designing lowers that use their mags. The whole cockiness over the name has really ruined the credibility of the company as a whole.

No one wants to be part of a very small, smug society who thinks their farts smell like strawberries and cream. Before anyone argues, just go through the archives here and see the fake sense of entitlement many, many Armalite rifle owners have.

Modern Armalite is in no way related to Armalite of the 50s besides the name. So, technically there is only one AR10, and it died a long time ago with the original Fairchild/Armalite.

ETA: Build your own, many good receivers out there. You'll get exactly what you want and save a little bit as well as opposed to buying complete and swapping parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said anything about being part of a "society".
An AR10 is made by Armalite. What's so hard to understand?...much like there are Civics made by Honda and not Ford. It's not just nomenclature, parts are not 100% interchangeable between AR10s and other 308 patterned ARs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

An AR10 is made by Armalite. What's so hard to understand?...much like there are Civics made by Honda and not Ford. It's not just nomenclature, parts are not 100% interchangeable between AR10s and other 308 patterned ARs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And AR15s are only made by Colt....

We knew what you meant.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#18]

And AR15s are only made by Colt....

We knew what you meant.
View Quote

Very true. But, while you can swap a COLT AR15 upper to any brand of "AR15" lower. (Hence no one care it is made by COLT or not.)

You cannot do the same on just any "AR10" uppers and lowers. There is 45° Armalite cut upper and the DPMS round cut. Even if it fit it looks like crap.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top