Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2014 5:14:36 PM EDT
Just finished up my first AR upper build with lots of help from reading on here.  I bought some parts based on what I read on here, and so far it's going well.  I haven't shot it yet, but it went together easily.

Thanks for everyone who posts about their builds so us newbs can learn from you

PSA blem upper with parts kit
MAS Defense barrel and BCG
YHM gas block, charging handle and 7.62 etched dust cover
DPMS pin kit
PSA gas rod
Samson Evolution keymod handguard
C Products mags and ASC mags

It was fun to order up some toys and work through the build

In the pics it's mated up to my DPMS lower from my DMPS Recon 5.56 I picked up last December.  I am not a photographer and the lighting in my little office room at home is nothing special.  Not sure yet if I'll build a lower or just use my DPMS lower for both uppers.  I don't get out to the range often, so I don't think it will be a big deal.  

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z204/learfxr/35FFABE0-6444-44FD-8D30-3D1214CA8224.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z204/learfxr/FF023FE2-7F30-412C-88D0-5B9C80E4721B.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z204/learfxr/10F98E43-3126-4F40-8D0E-C803F87DA384.jpg
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good! Have fun shooting it!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi,

Thanks foer your show and tell.  I am curioius though what are the magazine capacities of the smaller mags in your photo essay?  One looks like ASC's 20 round magazine, but there's one larger than the 5/10 round  one shown, and smaller than the one that I think is a 20 rd one.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 of the ASC 20 round, 1 of the C Products 30 round and 1 of their 10 round.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife and I just returned from the local indoor range.  They didn't like the Wolf ammo I had loaded in each mag, so I just dumped out the 10 round mag and used that one for the first round of shooting.  The gun shot great and I only had one issue with feeding.  I shot my Sig 1911 also and my wife shot her M&P Shield 9mm.  Overall a good trip to the range, although kinda short.  The Federal ammo I shot in my 1911 was junk and very messy, my whole arm was filthy and numerous feeding problems with one round that failed to fire after 2 attempts.  The ammo I had to purchase to use in my 7.62 AR was nasty smelling and smoked up the range.  I can still taste the nasty stuff.  The blower system in the range was on, but this stuff was really smokey.  I had to step back after a few shots and stand under the air blowing from the ceiling vents so I could breathe.  

Now it's gun cleaning time
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I need to find something to weigh my uppers.  The new upper feels like it weighs half of my 5.56 DMPS Recon upper with a small scope on it.  The Recon quad rail is not very long, but must be kinda hefty.  I fell in love with the Recon last December and it's a great setup for a Newb like me, but I really like the new upper I assembled.  I think the addiction is starting.  I can't walk through a gun shop without looking through the AR parts and optics
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
That Keymod Evo rail is BITCHIN!!!!  I wish they'd been out when I built mine.  Also would've gone with a 15" on this one as well.

Shoot the hell out of that thing.  My 5.56 AR sits in the safe looking sad because all I want to shoot is my AR-47.  Where'd you get the dust cover at???
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My wife and I just returned from the local indoor range.  They didn't like the Wolf ammo I had loaded in each mag, so I just dumped out the 10 round mag and used that one for the first round of shooting.  The gun shot great and I only had one issue with feeding.  I shot my Sig 1911 also and my wife shot her M&P Shield 9mm.  Overall a good trip to the range, although kinda short.  The Federal ammo I shot in my 1911 was junk and very messy, my whole arm was filthy and numerous feeding problems with one round that failed to fire after 2 attempts.  The ammo I had to purchase to use in my 7.62 AR was nasty smelling and smoked up the range.  I can still taste the nasty stuff.  The blower system in the range was on, but this stuff was really smokey.  I had to step back after a few shots and stand under the air blowing from the ceiling vents so I could breathe.  

View Quote

Hi,

Yeah, indoor ranges are on a non-bimetal round kick.  Your best bet is to pick up some Red Army Standard LCW non magnetic bullet steel cased rounds from SGAmmo before the disappear.  If your are having ignition problems and have the longer 7.62 firing pin for AR's already in your rifle you may need a heavier hammer spring.  Best Regards:
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Where'd you get the dust cover at???
View Quote

I got the cover from YHM, Yankee Hill Machine.  They have 7.62x39 specific accessories online.  I first saw a Samson hand guard while looking at an AR at Red Jacket Firearms.  I really like them
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hi,

Yeah, indoor ranges are on a non-bimetal round kick.  Your best bet is to pick up some Red Army Standard LCW non magnetic bullet steel cased rounds from SGAmmo before the disappear.  If your are having ignition problems and have the longer 7.62 firing pin for AR's already in your rifle you may need a heavier hammer spring.  Best Regards:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,

I didn't have any issues firing the 7.62 ammo, it was my 1911 ammo that sucked.  I hope to get out to Tac Pro some day soon cause they are a large outdoor range and you can shoot anything you want.  You don't pay by the hour, so you can spend all day out there shooting everything ya got, provided you want to spend that much $$ on ammo  :)
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top