User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear that you're looking at "modular".  I was going to suggest going the way of an upper "kit" where the end-user supplies their own barrel and muzzle device.  That way everyone can have their 1:7 or 1:9 or chrome-lined or SBR or .300blk or whatever barrel configuration they'd like.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A few things need to be said before we go any further.

1. We are a small company with small capital.

2. We want to do this at the lowest cost possible, but maintaining our high quality standards.

3 Simple is better and lower cost. Too many options raises cost.

4. I am weary of trying to do "exact reproductions" of classic parts. There are too many nits to be picked and not everyone will like the end result.

5. Purists will always gravitate to ORIGINAL parts or guns when possible. (reference M16A1 pencil barrels)

Lastly:

6. IMHO this design needs to be modular and be set up so the customer can swap barrels and other parts with common tools. One of the reasons the AR-15 is so popular is because it's LEGOS for boys.The original AR-180 not so much.

Based on this I will be focusing my design elements to this end.

Modern
Modular
Simple
View Quote

I would be inclined to agree.  Extruded upper. Modern mfg technology, modular...
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

2. We want to do this at the lowest cost possible, but maintaining our high quality standards.

4. I am weary of trying to do "exact reproductions" of classic parts. There are too many nits to be picked and not everyone will like the end result.

5. Purists will always gravitate to ORIGINAL parts or guns when possible. (reference M16A1 pencil barrels)

Lastly:

6. IMHO this design needs to be modular and be set up so the customer can swap barrels and other parts with common tools. One of the reasons the AR-15 is so popular is because it's LEGOS for boys.The original AR-180 not so much.

Modern
Modular
Simple
View Quote

Looks like we're on the same page.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lastly:

Modern
Modular
Simple

This is exactly what I wanted to hear as well.

Well, everything but the part about Lego's not being for boys...
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#6]
IDK, the original AR-180 can be repaired with a hacksaw and a file, so it's got that going for it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I say just a simple reproduction of the classic Ar-180.
There are plenty of newer designed rifles out there if someone wants modular like the SCAR.
It is a beautiful rifle in its simplicity, please keep it that way.
Why have so much interchange with the Ar? I don't use Ar parts in my FNC, Valmet, AK, FAL, ......

View Quote

Cost?
Interchangeable parts are going to be exponentially cheaper

I'll second the "crowd funding" option. To meet your aforementioned 6 criteria, how much capital would you need?
How many preorders with 25% (?) deposits would you need.

Sorry if those are too personal
I'll also "vote" for a "upper kit" without barrel or muzzle device if it could indeed take AR barrels.
Lowers the price point and potentially nets more customers. If you're looking for more unsolicited advice, I'd offer a few run of the mill 1:7 and 1:9 barrels and a "install" fee for customer wanting a range ready package.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Modern, Modular and Simple are probably the best bets you're gonna have. The purists who want only the 180 parts would probably only consider buying the lower if it were all original to the 180 anyway.  So that they may keep it all original just for that reason. Since the lower is already a more modernized version I think it would be good form to continue to update the rifle so that it may potentially be able to compete with other rifles on the market and not just appeal to those who already know and love it.

If and when you're ready to accept pre orders for the upper please let us know. I will be waiting patiently!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Excuse my ignorance but is there any protected intellectual property still associated with the original design that could cause road blocks?

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Will you be selling complete lowers as well or just the stripped?

How much weight does the billet lower add over the polymer one?  A pound?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, we don't have the parts made yet to sell "complete" lowers.

As far as the weight, I'll have to weigh one tomorrow at work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you even speculate on the price for an upper? $600? $1100?

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I think you guys should really consider some of the crowdfunding options out there for this project.

RocketHub and KickStarter seem to be some of the more popular options.

I will be spending my money on this project.

A revamped AR-180 is something I've caught myself daydreaming about more times than I care to admit and now that you guys are making this happen I suppose my daydreaming will be kicked into high gear again.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#15]
A couple of snaps of mine until I get a barrel to shorten up.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A couple of snaps of mine until I get a barrel to shorten up.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/josh54880/media/AR-180B/NDS-18S/NDS-18SBA.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/josh54880/AR-180B/NDS-18S/NDS-18SBA.jpg</a>
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/josh54880/media/AR-180B/NDS-18S/NDS-18SC.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/josh54880/AR-180B/NDS-18S/NDS-18SC.jpg</a>
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/josh54880/media/AR-180B/NDS-18S/NDS-18SB.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/josh54880/AR-180B/NDS-18S/NDS-18SB.jpg</a>
View Quote

That is pure sex!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Cost?

I'll second the "crowd funding" option. To meet your aforementioned 6 criteria, how much capital would you need?

I'll also "vote" for a "upper kit" without barrel or muzzle device if it could indeed take AR barrels.
Lowers the price point and potentially nets more customers. If you're looking for more unsolicited advice, I'd offer a few run of the mill 1:7 and 1:9 barrels and a "install" fee for customer wanting a range ready package.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I say just a simple reproduction of the classic Ar-180.
There are plenty of newer designed rifles out there if someone wants modular like the SCAR.
It is a beautiful rifle in its simplicity, please keep it that way.
Why have so much interchange with the Ar? I don't use Ar parts in my FNC, Valmet, AK, FAL, ......

Cost?

I want to  kick in on the crowd fund but only if It be with no strings, expectations. conditions or timelines attached and the understanding of no promises made.

There are always unforeseen delays snags, set backs and curve balls in every project not to mention the regular problems to solve that are a normal part of the process..

Take the lower for example. It's looks are deceiving. We would think it a simple matter to get it made but it is not.

R&D on it alone took over a year.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:19:48 AM EDT
[#19]
This thread is getting sexual... and I like it.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:41:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep working on it.  The Masada put Magpul on the map, people like innovation.  Granted it's not quite on the same level, but it will tweak a a lot of interest.  You might have something really big here.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The weight comparison as shown:

Polymer: .75 lbs

7075: .95 lbs

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/18S_compare.JPG
View Quote

How much did the steel version weigh?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The weight comparison as shown:

Polymer: .75 lbs

7075: .95 lbs

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/18S_compare.JPG

I can't comment on the stripped receivers but as far as the complete rifles go the 180 B 180 weighs 1/2 pound less than the 180.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I want to  kick in on the crowd fund but only if It be with no strings, expectations. conditions or timelines attached and the understanding of no promises made.

There are always unforeseen delays snags, set backs and curve balls in every project not to mention the regular problems to solve that are a normal part of the process..

Take the lower for example. It's looks are deceiving. We would think it a simple matter to get it made but it is not.

View Quote

The thing is, if the crowdfunding road is taken, the manufacturer should be obligated to provide the product that the funding was accepted for. I am a patient man and I would not mind too much if the product took a year or two to get into full swing. However, if myself and numerous others put money into the project then feet get dragged and the project ends up getting axed, well, that would suck. The point is I would only be interested in that option if NDS is actually 100% a go to work on the project pending funds. I don't want to invest in or pay for other products or projects at this time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#26]

My bet is crowd funding won't happen and wouldn't be accepted if it did.

IMHO&E NDS values their hard earned reputation and working relationships too much to risk them in any way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#28]
An L85A2 style adjustable gas piston would be cool.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The thing is, if the crowdfunding road is taken, the manufacturer should be obligated to provide the product that the funding was accepted for. I am a patient man and I would not mind too much if the product took a year or two to get into full swing. However, if myself and numerous others put money into the project then feet get dragged and the project ends up getting axed, well, that would suck. The point is I would only be interested in that option if NDS is actually 100% a go to work on the project pending funds. I don't want to invest in or pay for other products or projects at this time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

NDS is hot shit and has a good rep.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Dude, I haven't even started drawing anything yet, much less make a prototype upper.

No clue, not even gonna guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

Would you even speculate on the price for an upper? $600? $1100?

Dude, I haven't even started drawing anything yet, much less make a prototype upper.

No clue, not even gonna guess.

Totally fair. Worth an ask,

Quoted:
Crowd funding is not something we are interested in.

Interesting.
Well I for one wait with hope

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:12:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Have a lot of respect for NoDak.  Purchased at least 5 lowers for my retro builds.  I think I still have four - sold my XM177 clone (Stupid but seemed like a good idea at the time.)

But I digress:

I've handled a number of 180s - the real ones by Costa Mesa, Howa and Sterling.

Bought my first 180 (a Howa) for $160 from a friend who bought it from his pig hunter friend who liked the rifle but preferred using a knife - hunted with dogs.  My friend sold me the 180 cause he bought a Colt AR15.  This was when Colt SP1s where going for about $200 BNIB.  The 180s new were going for about $30-$40 more than the AR15s.  Paid about 3 times more for my current 180 a couple decades ago - now afraid to look at the current prices of the originals.

Original 180s:

The good:  reliable, compact, ambi charging handle (sort of), ambi safety, accurate (if you can work with the trigger).

The bad:  triggers on all the originals are atrocious.  The stock hinge would sometimes crack - my latest Howa required the services of a very, very experienced retired welder to repair (looks better than new!).  The sights are nothing to write home about.  Hand guards loosen and/or break.

Optics platform:  Not the best.  I have both of the current picatinny rails (one by a company mentioned above) and while they are well-made - the dimensions of the bases on the 180s are not always consistent. The rails do not sit level on my particular rifle.

My solution?  I found an original 180 scope (the one with the inverted post) on the EE:

Neutered bayonet lug on Howa (I've seen two different styles):

Howa serialized some of the smaller parts:

Original 180 uppers do come up for sale, rarely, but they do pop up on GB and other auction sites.  A couple years ago I saw a Sterling AR180 upper for sale in one of the auction sites.

A side note:  my current 180 is an early Howa.  As mentioned by previous posters - the SN is on the upper.  It is entirely possible to obtain another later production AR180 upper without SN (Howa, Sterling, Costa Mesa, or Armalite) and put together a rifle without any serial number.  IMHO it would probably be illegal to do so - but it is possible.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Man I would love to order an AR18 lower if I could find an upper.  

Heck I may have to sell some stuff and get the lower anyway it looks great.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Have a lot of respect for NoDak.  Purchased at least 5 lowers for my retro builds.  I think I still have four - sold my XM177 clone (Stupid but seemed like a good idea at the time.)http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/ewasashinki/DSC01694.jpg

But I digress:

I've handled a number of 180s - the real ones by Costa Mesa, Howa and Sterling.

Bought my first 180 (a Howa) for $160 from a friend who bought it from his pig hunter friend who liked the rifle but preferred using a knife - hunted with dogs.  My friend sold me the 180 cause he bought a Colt AR15.  This was when Colt SP1s where going for about $200 BNIB.  The 180s new were going for about $30-$40 more than the AR15s.  Paid about 3 times more for my current 180 a couple decades ago - now afraid to look at the current prices of the originals.

Original 180s:

The good:  reliable, compact, ambi charging handle (sort of), ambi safety, accurate (if you can work with the trigger).

The bad:  triggers on all the originals are atrocious.  The stock hinge would sometimes crack - my latest Howa required the services of a very, very experienced retired welder to repair (looks better than new!).  The sights are nothing to write home about.  Hand guards loosen and/or break.

Optics platform:  Not the best.  I have both of the current picatinny rails (one by a company mentioned above) and while they are well-made - the dimensions of the bases on the 180s are not always consistent. The rails do not sit level on my particular rifle.

My solution?  I found an original 180 scope (the one with the inverted post) on the EE:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/ewasashinki/Armalitescope2_zps822a4135.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/ewasashinki/Armalitescopeinvertedpost_zps339ee81c.jpg

Neutered bayonet lug on Howa (I've seen two different styles): http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/ewasashinki/Howabayonetlug.jpg

Howa serialized some of the smaller parts: http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/ewasashinki/HowaFHSN.jpg

Original 180 uppers do come up for sale, rarely, but they do pop up on GB and other auction sites.  A couple years ago I saw a Sterling AR180 upper for sale in one of the auction sites.

A side note:  my current 180 is an early Howa.  As mentioned by previous posters - the SN is on the upper.  It is entirely possible to obtain another later production AR180 upper without SN (Howa, Sterling, Costa Mesa, or Armalite) and put together a rifle without any serial number.  IMHO it would probably be illegal to do so - but it is possible.
View Quote

you can build your own guns without serial numbers as long as they arent breaking any laws(NFA, etc.) and arent made for the purpose of selling. example being 80% AR lowers..so i dont see why you couldnt put one together..
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#34]
It appears there are two crowds of AR-180 fans here, the classic and the modern crowd. I love the classic style of the AR-180 but I would prefer an upper with a picatinny rail and a barrel with a more modern twist like a 1/7 or 1/8.

I would suggest you build the complete modern modular upper with interchangeable barrels in 6.8 SPC, .300 Blackout and 5.56 and for the classic crowd you could make a stripped upper receiver with a 1/7 or 1/8 barrel but still with the picatinny rail so we can just swap our classic AR-180 parts to this new barreled upper.

I would buy both because as much as I love my classic AR180, I want a modern AR-180. I do not want or desire any AR-15's, even a piston version.

By the way, if you build a .308 AR-16 version, I would buy that in a heart beat. I would probably even sell some of my FAL's for an AR-16
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It appears there are two crowds of AR-180 fans here, the classic and the modern crowd. I love the classic style of the AR-180 but I would prefer an upper with a picatinny rail and a barrel with a more modern twist like a 1/7 or 1/8.

I would suggest you build the complete modern modular upper with interchangeable barrels in 6.8 SPC, .300 Blackout and 5.56 and for the classic crowd you could make a stripped upper receiver with a 1/7 or 1/8 barrel but still with the picatinny rail so we can just swap our classic AR-180 parts to this new barreled upper.

I would buy both because as much as I love my classic AR180, I want a modern AR-180. I do not want or desire any AR-15's, even a piston version.

By the way, if you build a .308 AR-16 version, I would buy that in a heart beat. I would probably even sell some of my FAL's for an AR-16
View Quote

I'll buy one of your FAL's.

Is there a place that we might be able to find a schematic of an AR-180? Preferably one with a breakdown of the rifle with exact measurements. For research and reference purposes of course.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Modern, please

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Modern, please

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modern, please

The AR-16 is like a big brother to AR-18 if I remember correctly. Sort of like the way the AR10 is to the AR15.

That would be sweet too. However, I'm still waiting for this new upper to come out first.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The AR-16 is like a big brother to AR-18 if I remember correctly. Sort of like the way the AR10 is to the AR15.

That would be sweet too. However, I'm still waiting for this new upper to come out first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modern, please

Ya, my comment was directing towards the desire for a modern upper with 2014 features. I would have less interest in a purist upper

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I like some of the lesser known Armalites:

"Golden Gun":  http://www.chuckhawks.com/armalite_AR-17.htm

AR-17, a piston AR-10??, AR-16, AR-10:

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You guys need to:

http://youtu.be/ivC5fvFnfS0

View Quote

B-but, we can't.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I understand the want of a modern AR180 but there are a lot of original AR180 owners like myself who want a way to modernize our rifles. The new lower was in the right direction, in my opinion, but I wished it didn't depend on any AR180B parts but just used AR15 parts. I guess that wasn't possible but I wouldn't know since I am not a gun designer. This person on youtube managed to make a lower with all AR15 parts but the hammer and magazine catch had to be modified to work. The hammer was re-profiled so it could strike the 180 firing pin. The magazine release had to be made thinner to lock AR-15 magazines in place and a stop welded in the mag well to keep them from being over inserted.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Hvmxf9cW0[/youtube]
I want a new upper with picatinny rail and a 1/7 or 1/8 barrel but don't want to modify my original AR-180. Worse case scenario, I will have to find a gunsmith to turn me a new barrel for my AR-180.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

Thanks - a prototype or?  Looks like a cross between an AR10 and AR16.  Neat!

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:45:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You guys need to:

http://youtu.be/ivC5fvFnfS0

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:10:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I understand the want of a modern AR180 but there are a lot of original AR180 owners like myself who want a way to modernize our rifles. The new lower was in the right direction, in my opinion, but I wished it didn't depend on any AR180B parts but just used AR15 parts. I guess that wasn't possible but I wouldn't know since I am not a gun designer. This person on youtube managed to make a lower with all AR15 parts but the hammer and magazine catch had to be modified to work. The hammer was re-profiled so it could strike the 180 firing pin. The magazine release had to be made thinner to lock AR-15 magazines in place and a stop welded in the mag well to keep them from being over inserted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Hvmxf9cW0
I want a new upper with picatinny rail and a 1/7 or 1/8 barrel but don't want to modify my original AR-180. Worse case scenario, I will have to find a gunsmith to turn me a new barrel for my AR-180.
View Quote

The 180B uses standard AR15 hammer, trigger, disconnector and springs, mag catch mag catch button and springs. You can use AR 15 hammer and trigger pins, they are a little shorter on the ends so they are not flush with the outside surface of the thicker 180B lower.

With the NDS-18 the situation should be the same but in addition to the above it also uses the AR15 front pivot pin spring and detent and also the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:30:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ding Ding Ding DING Ding....We have a WINNER !!!

Build both !

If you build one OR the other you loose sales to which ever crown wanted what your not making.

By building both you also sell lowers to both crowds.

And some will do the arfcom standard and.......get both.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:50:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The 180B uses standard AR15 hammer, trigger, disconnector and springs, mag catch mag catch button and springs. You can use AR 15 hammer and trigger pins, they are a little shorter on the ends so they are not flush with the outside surface of the thicker 180B lower.

With the NDS-18 the situation should be the same but in addition to the above it also uses the AR15 front pivot pin spring and detent and also the pistol grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Hvmxf9cW0

Thanks for the info. I guess the situation on AR-180B parts isn't as bad as I thought. I have plenty of AR15 lower parts kits. Now to scrounge the needed AR180B parts. This AR-180 addiction is almost as bad as my FAL addiction.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#50]
There is an ar180 in Serenity, the Firefly movie. Was watching it today and thought of this thread.
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top