Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2014 7:32:01 PM EDT
My BHW Barrel in .308 just arrived from Surplus Arms & Ammo but I'm not sure I received the barrel I was expecting.

As the photo shows, the BHW Logo is different than their usual logo.
1)  Is this a new style or an old style that was kicking around SA&A's basement parts ?
   I went to compare it to the one advertised on their site but they no longer have any listed in stock.

Now this barrel has  polygonal rifling which I am new to.
2)  The question I have is that the lands and grooves are shallow, really shallow. Is this normal for polygonal rifling? Compared to the standard cut rifling on my AR15's barrels the .308 is almost non-existent.

Sorry no pics of the bore itself.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the logo I got a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
No, It's good...Yeah, the Poly 3G bore they use is shallow compared to conventional cut rifling...the bore
should be mirror bright though...It should be a 1:11 twist.

I don't think you will have a problem...

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, It's good...Yeah, the Poly 3G bore they use is shallow compared to conventional cut rifling...the bore

Good luck.
View Quote

Correct, it is a 1x11 twist.

Correct again about the bore. Mirror bright, to say the least !
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Huh. Finish looks a little.. rough i guess? Here's my 556 barrel

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

OK, now put it together and go out and have fun shooting it !
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/yUM4tUj.jpg
View Quote

The barrels exterior finish is definitely not as smooth as yours but the bore does look pristine.
Bead blasted SS and then finished.

I'll sleep well tonight.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The barrels exterior finish is definitely not as smooth as yours but the bore does look pristine.

I'll sleep well tonight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/yUM4tUj.jpg

I'll sleep well tonight.

They switched barrel finishes awhile back , Greg should pop in and give the scoop on the new finish
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#8]
That is a current production barrel.  The new shot peening process with the nitro bath black oxide bath makes a finish that is very durable.  It meets the current level for mil-spec.  Not as smooth as the old ones.  The ones done up without the blackening are neat looking too. One thing about it the guys like the shot peened surface for cerracoating. The new process started laste last year.

The polygonal rifling is faster as the design lowers pressures of bullet engraving.  Same same loads between it and Enfield rifling often see 100 FPS difference.  Loading for these barrels favirs the top end. They like it hot.

Congratulations on your barrel choice.  Drop me a PM  if you need any assistance.

Greg

Edited for correctness re: finisj type.-- GL
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That is a current production barrel.  The new shot peening process with the nitro bath makes a finish that is very durable.  It meets the current level for mil-spec.  Not as smooth as the old ones.  The ones done up without the blackening are neat looking too. One thing about it the guys like the shot peened surface for cerracoating. The new process started laste last year.

The polygonal rifling is faster as the design lowers pressures of bullet engraving.  Same same loads between it and Enfield rifling often see 100 FPS difference.  Loading for these barrels favirs the top end. They like it hot.

Congratulations on your barrel choice.  Drop me a PM  if you need any assistance.

Greg
View Quote

When did you guys start nitriding your barrels, you have my attention
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the clarification. I'm now more optimistic than ever about my barrel choice !
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a current production barrel.  The new shot peening process with the nitro bath makes a finish that is very durable.  It meets the current level for mil-spec.  Not as smooth as the old ones.  The ones done up without the blackening are neat looking too. One thing about it the guys like the shot peened surface for cerracoating. The new process started laste last year.

Greg

Very interested now
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I did some detective work and talked with Carl and  found out hey are a bath process black oxiding the barrels per military spec.

Greg
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#13]
After reading this thread and doing some research BHW may be exactly what im looking for.  However, I am weary.........The selection and the multitude of options is outstanding and the multiple lengths  they offer is more than any other company.  To top it off their prices are very reasonable and for the options that are offered.  My main question is the quality........Is it there?   How durable is polygonal barrels for sbrs?   I need a light weight barrel that will be durable and made well.  I would like it to be a BHW after seeing what I have researched.  Is this a good choice?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a black hole weaponry 300 blk 9.5 inch 1 in 8.5 twist.  Arond 4000 rounds thru it and the first 4 inches of the rifling is gone.  95% subs and 90% of that was cast. Most of those powder coated.  Even sent it to them after a conversation that was less then pleaseant.  Spoke to the tech who checked it out.  While he was a lot easier to talk to.  He said, yep shot out. But would not entertain the remote possibility that it was a defective barrel.  The best they could do was offer me a discount on another barrel.  When i pointed out that i have at more rounds thru a coventionally rifled barrel.  With no wear, much less the complete disappearence of the rifling , they were stumped.

Now i may have simply gotten a bad barrel.  Because they seem to have a good reputation with their barrels. Or it could be i did somethng wrong. But i doubt it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had a black hole weaponry 300 blk 9.5 inch 1 in 8.5 twist.  Arond 4000 rounds thru it and the first 4 inches of the rifling is gone.  95% subs and 90% of that was cast. Most of those powder coated.  Even sent it to them after a conversation that was less then pleaseant.  Spoke to the tech who checked it out.  While he was a lot easier to talk to.  He said, yep shot out. But would not entertain the remote possibility that it was a defective barrel.  The best they could do was offer me a discount on another barrel.  When i pointed out that i have at more rounds thru a coventionally rifled barrel.  With no wear, much less the complete disappearence of the rifling , they were stumped.

Now i may have simply gotten a bad barrel.  Because they seem to have a good reputation with their barrels. Or it could be i did somethng wrong. But i doubt it.
View Quote

I've never dealt with powdered bullets.  I wonder if the lead was not upsetting in the lands enough to stop gas cutting. The guns with jacketed bullets don't show that kind of wear pattern.  I've shot the snot out of a 20LBC and a 243LBC with no noted unusual wear.

Just my unscientific thoughts.

Greg
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've never dealt with powdered bullets.  I wonder if the lead was not upsetting in the lands enough to stop gas cutting. The guns with jacketed bullets don't show that kind of wear pattern.  I've shot the snot out of a 20LBC and a 243LBC with no noted unusual wear.

Greg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

That would be a thought except for the fact that i size my cast for .308 bores to .311.  Regardless of powder coating or not.  L even considered that the flat black i was using  may have contributed. Except for.the fact that i shot the same powder coated bullets thru. Severaldifferent guns in .308, 300 blk, 9mm, .45acp and .38/.357 with no noticable issues.

It may be I did something wrong, but if that were the case i would think i would have several guns with rifling gone.  Tha fact that the owner would not even entertain that possibility became frustrating.  

By most things i have read.  They make good barrels.  Why did mine fail? I don't know.  The tech I spoke to did say maybe it was simply not compatable with cast bullets .  I still fail to see how that would eliminate the rifling.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Greg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

Greg, you would likely know this... I could have swore that in the BHW forum I read that the average life expectancy for a BHW
barrel was a minimum 8K  to 10K rounds when we were all on this subject at the time...Can you confirm this ?

On a side note all of my BHW barrels have been spot on accurate and problem free...(we had one that was not shooting well
but it was replaced by the factory at no charge).
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Based on caliber, as some do go faster than others, I would expect extremely good accuracy until 2,500 rounds.  Very good up to 6-8,000 and adequate for 90% of the shoting public at 10,000. Minute of PD vs minute of 6' biped does enter into what some consider good.  THose numbers might seem low but they are pretty represntative of SS tubes from any of the custom makers. 90% of them use 416 R steel, as does Black Hole, in their barrels. Lots of good thing about them but they certainly won't last as long as a chrome lined offering.

The life of a barrel can never be predicted thanks to difference in powders burned, that has more effect than many know, the bullet selection and even seating depths. Generalites are the rule here. Barrels are consumables. At 5,000 rounds you have put enough componets down range, of quality handloads, to buy three barrels. Most high volume shooters don't shoot only one rilfe. They tend to rotate a bit and that really extends perception tin many cases. Kind of like if you have one pair of sneakers they last quite a long time. Two pair even more and when you have three you rotate  you can't remeber when you bought them.  I've ghave AR barrels I got in the early 90's that are going still strong.  Not a lot of mag dumps in them and they stuill perform well. Maybe not in th 0.4 area but easily under an MOA that is adequate for my needs and the games they were bult for.  It is a truism that if you burn powder in them they do where out.

Greg
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Based on caliber, as some do go faster than others, I would expect extremely good accuracy until 2,500 rounds.  Very good up to 6-8,000 and adequate for 90% of the shoting public at 10,000. Minute of PD vs minute of 6' biped does enter into what some consider good.  THose numbers might seem low but they are pretty represntative of SS tubes from any of the custom makers. 90% of them use 416 R steel, as does Black Hole, in their barrels. Lots of good thing about them but they certainly won't last as long as a chrome lined offering.

The life of a barrel can never be predicted thanks to difference in powders burned, that has more effect than many know, the bullet selection and even seating depths. Generalites are the rule here. Barrels are consumables. At 5,000 rounds you have put enough componets down range, of quality handloads, to buy three barrels. Most high volume shooters don't shoot only one rilfe. They tend to rotate a bit and that really extends perception tin many cases. Kind of like if you have one pair of sneakers they last quite a long time. Two pair even more and when you have three you rotate  you can't remeber when you bought them.  I've ghave AR barrels I got in the early 90's that are going still strong.  Not a lot of mag dumps in them and they stuill perform well. Maybe not in th 0.4 area but easily under an MOA that is adequate for my needs and the games they were bult for.  It is a truism that if you burn powder in them they do where out.

Greg
View Quote

Thanks for the confirmation, and yes certainly the faster velocity rounds will tend to wear the bore a bit faster as repeated heat transfer will eventually take it's toll over time, makes
perfect sense to me...Although, overall it seems to me that SS rifle barrels do have a higher likely hood for better accuracy vs. say chrome lined barrels, etc. It is a fact though
that Steel Alloys in the 4150 series can be much more forgiving when it comes to bore wear and is very (high) heat tolerant and can be heat treated to a high Rockwell
hardness, with downside to the 4150 Steel Alloy being It's tend to more susceptible to rust/corrosion if not properly kept. I'm not sure if there has been a definitive
answer (studies) as to surface treatments like Meloniting and other similar coating/treatments really work and reduce bore/barrel wear and/or Increase surface
hardness, etc...Just thinking out loud anyway.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#20]
As in faster I was referring to barrel burners not the actual velocity of the projectile. A 4,000 FPS 22X6.8 vs a 4,000 FPS 220 Swift in the same barrel materal will last longer simply because it is getting torched with about 33% less powder.  A 338 Lapua is slower but it will be in the tomato garden faster than either of the first two. Powder burned X  heat on steel = deterioration..

The treatments are good at times, however , that being said there is a trade-off in $$'s there. I've shot with F-Classers burning out 243 Winchester melonited bores that did not recoup the cost based on longevity.  Also there is always  that nagging thought, in my mind, is unless you are SURE it is a shooter do you want to treat it?  There are no guarantees that the barrel will shoot as well as it did prior to treatment. Only gaurantees that it will be around longer shooting as well or less than it did orginally.

Greg
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had good luck with my BHW barrel in 6.5 Grendel so far. I had read that they recommended a break in procedure of shooting five rounds and cleaning until sixty rounds. I don't know how much that was worth, but after that my groups settled in very nicely(sub MOA with factory, haven't had time to fiddle with hand-loads yet), especially considering that its only an 18 inch standard profile. For the price during their SHOT show sale I was very pleased. The matte finish in silver looks sweet, btw. I couldn't even notice any roughness as displayed in earlier photos.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:58:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've had good luck with my BHW barrel in 6.5 Grendel so far. I had read that they recommended a break in procedure of shooting five rounds and cleaning until sixty rounds. I don't know how much that was worth, but after that my groups settled in very nicely(sub MOA with factory, haven't had time to fiddle with hand-loads yet), especially considering that its only an 18 inch standard profile. For the price during their SHOT show sale I was very pleased. The matte finish in silver looks sweet, btw. I couldn't even notice any roughness as displayed in earlier photos.
View Quote

That sounds good.  BTW they have a 20% sale on and a new website up and running.

Greg
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:58:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all the info Greg! Also thanks for the headsup on the sale and the new site. I like it and it's much more user friendly
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:03:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
 I need a light weight barrel that will be durable and made well.  I would like it to be a BHW after seeing what I have researched.  Is this a good choice?
View Quote

Their barrels are quality, but lightweight isn't the first word that comes to mind.  Even their lightweight profile (LT_) is pretty heavy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#25]

That sounds good.  BTW they have a 20% sale on and a new website up and running.

Greg
View Quote

How often does Black Hole Armory have a 20% sale? I see i've just missed it by a day...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How often does Black Hole Armory have a 20% sale? I see i've just missed it by a day...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Greg

This was a first. . I would not expect to see one again for a very long time.
If you want to keep updatedon all of the Black Hole activites go to http://blackholeweaponry.proboards.com and sign up. A huge amount of information from the comapny and it's activites along with postings from shooters.  Also check out the completely redone sales page at www.blackholeweaponry.com

Greg
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#27]

as a bhw barrel owner I can say this much, I have an 18" 308 barrel 1:11 twist and right out of the box the barrel shot dimes, it was nothing to have 5 rounds in a dime at 100, it really blew my sox off so to speak, and with maybe 200 rounds threw the gun  it shoots the same, I only clean about every 50 rounds if that, and I can also say the barrel don't really get that dirty, I ran some mpro7 copper cleaner threw it and expected the patch to come out green/blue and ugly as hell and nothing not even a slight green, so they don't foul up that much.

would I buy another, heck ya, as long as bhw makes barrels all I will every buy is a bhw barrel
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Wagon, the 18" .308 BHW barrel I recently got from SAA looks just look yours - it's a friggin shooter! Finally got around to shooting mine monday and it made me look like I know how to shoot! ;)
2" groups @ 100 yards with crappy steel cased monarch ammo and a pretty bad cross wind to deal with.

I absolutely cannot wait to shoot some match ammo in it. I have no doubts at all that if I do my job it will shoot well under sub moa.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I've contacted BHW and it looks like their barrels are wylde chamber, not 5.56 nato. Deal breaker for me.

I'm looking for a barrel like this:
16" 1:8
Polygonal rifling
Mid-length gas
Nitrided finish
11595E steel
556 nato chamber
HPT/MPI tested
M4 feed ramps
1/2-28 Threaded Muzzle

If anyone knows of a manufacturer offering the above, I'd greatly appreciate a link. My google search results aren't giving me much.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've contacted BHW and it looks like their barrels are wylde chamber, not 5.56 nato. Deal breaker for me.

Polygonal rifling
Mid-length gas
Nitrided finish
11595E steel
556 nato chamber
HPT/MPI tested
M4 feed ramps
1/2-28 Threaded Muzzle

If anyone knows of a manufacturer offering the above, I'd greatly appreciate a link. My google search results aren't giving me much.
Thanks!
View Quote

That might be because there is only one true polygonal barrel maker in the US. That would be Black Hole. They use 416R steel exclusively. They are NOT nitrided. They use a salt bath for balckening. The surface is steel shot peened and the hardness is to Mil-Spec criteria.

Not sure why the need for a NATO chamber as this Wylde works well with standard military ammo.  The accuracy of 556 and 223 in thesebarrels is phenominal. You might want to give it some consideration if your needs aren't met by some other supplier. I can gaurantee if you can shoot the performance wil be there on tap.

BTW there  are several WYLDE chambers out there just like there are several 308 and 223 chambers. There is no industry standard on them.  This one happens to have Carl's nuances designed into it which may be why they shoot so well in concert with a real polygnal rifled tube.

Greg
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I picked up a BHW barrel for my .308 build, because of my experience with the BHW barrel that I used in my 2nd AR build. The BHW Barrel is equal to the Wilson Combat barrel I used for my first AR build. And for the price, BHW is hard to beat. It performs very well and way beyond my capabilities.

I have read, that a clambering of .308 or wylde is far better then a 7.62 NATO chamber due to cartridge pressures. The 7.62 NATO chamber is not as strong as the .308 or Wilde chamber. If I'm wrong, please correct me. Being a moron for me is on the daily. But sometimes I do like to think I know something.  :)
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

From my experience, you aren't supposed to shoot cast in poly rifled barrels (per H&K and Glock both). Supposed to cause serious barrel issues. Always shot jacketed, so I can't say from first-hand experience what those issues would be.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Polygonal rifling
Mid-length gas
Nitrided finish
11595E steel
556 nato chamber
HPT/MPI tested
M4 feed ramps
1/2-28 Threaded Muzzle

Thanks!
View Quote

You can have the chamber opened to 5.56 specs.  Adco will do it, I'm sure there are others as well.  WMD Guns will nitride it for you.  Or you could get a Noveske and have it nitrided.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That might be because there is only one true polygonal barrel maker in the US. That would be Black Hole.
View Quote

Pacnor
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

From my experience, you aren't supposed to shoot cast in poly rifled barrels (per H&K and Glock both). Supposed to cause serious barrel issues. Always shot jacketed, so I can't say from first-hand experience what those issues would be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard of powder coated bullets destroying barrels as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Pacnor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That might be because there is only one true polygonal barrel maker in the US. That would be Black Hole.

Pacnor

From another site:

barrel from Pac-Nor...it is not polygonal rifling at all. Even though that is what I ordered and paid for and that's what is on the invoice. The rifling in this barrel is nothing more than "6R" or canted land six groove.

Take a look at the BHWbarrel  illustrations and you wil see that there are no hard fast edges and deep grooves. More a series of humps.

Greg

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#37]
$260 shipped for a .308 18"

Ordered!!!

Thanks for making me spend money
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
$260 shipped for a .308 18"

Ordered!!!

Thanks for making me spend money
View Quote

Thanks for having the good sense in buying a quality product. I have three  uppers with BHW barresl waiting to be shipped from  my 'smithRitch at  RPG, http://ritchsprecisionguns.com, and am waiting for BHW to ship him my third barrel so I can get a BIG package delivered.  The third one is a very nice 30 caliber widlcat we have been working on for about a year.  BTW I feel yor pain about the pocket book!!

Greg
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#39]
In case anybody is interested, BHW has extended the 20% off sale through the end of September.  Really glad I got my barrel ordered last month, I think they're gonna be damn busy for awhile.  Also for folks who don't like waiting, Surplus Ammo is still showing 20% off plus a free stripped AR15 upper.  They've been doing that free upper thing since I got my 18" rifle gas back in December.

No affiliation other than being a satisfied customer of both companies.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

there are 2 reported issues of premature barrel wear using powder coated cast bullets.  in neither case has it been proven that the powder coating was in fact the culprit.  One was a after market glock barrel, lone wolf I think,  with over 10000 rounds thru it.  it was not a factory glock barrel.  the other was mine.

in each case the  possible culprit in regards to the powder coating was the flat black form harbor freight.  the problem is that there are countless casters using the flat black.  I have used it in other barrels with no problems.  untold thousands of rounds covered in flat black have been shot with only 2 barrels reporting wear.  and in my case it has fired many more with other then the flat black powder coating.

Powder coated bullets do not destroy barrels.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

in a glock and H&K barrel the problem comes from leading.  in my case the rifling was completely missing in the 1st 4 inches of barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top