Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/25/2014 5:43:02 PM EDT
Hey fellas, I'm new.

I have to be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of AR-15 rifles and I have stayed away from them because of how dirty they are and the jams I experienced with heavy range use. I plan on building a piston AR-15 though because that fixes its problems.

So, aside from that, I've always wanted a 308, so I decided to build an AR variant. I have seen how expensive the 308 rifles can be, so buying one wasn't an option. That lead me to building one instead.

I'm getting pretty excited about it, but I have to wait until I can afford the SASS barrel and brake that I want for it. That will keep me from finishing it for a few months, but I've got everything else shipping on the way.

What parts I have received, I've put together and painted. Just waiting on the rail and mounts to get here now. Tips would be appreciated. I'm not keeping a carbine stock on there btw. I'm just waiting on a PRS stock to get in. It's a place holder for now. Same with the grip.

And yes, I'm a video game nerd, among other things.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks awesome. Keep us posted on your progress.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Jse surplus is having a sale this weekend, and they have one SSAS 18" barrel left. Grabbed one myself for 180$. There were 4 yesterday.

18" LW S/S CMMG SSAS barrel.

Good luck with the build. I wouldn't worry so much about jamming in the AR platform. It is overrated. I ran one 300 blackout over 2000 rounds without cleaning once. Just use a liberal amount of CLP, and run her wet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately I'm out of money. I have to wait. I'm a bit worried though because DPMS is saying they are backed-up on orders that will take months to fill. Midway has it listed as October as their next expected delivery of SASS barrels.

Oh, I see that's the stainless one. I'm wanting to buy the .936 fluted bull barrel.

And I've had an AR-15 before and I couldn't run more than 100 rounds through it without starting to get a few issues. When I shot a few hundred rounds then it would jam from all of the fouling. That's why I got rid of it. I didn't enjoy cordite and lead vapor being blown into my nose and my gun jamming.

I wanted to run a gas piston on this 308 build but I read that it causes long-range accuracy issues. I don't know how warranted that is, but when I get around to building an AR-15 it WILL have a gas piston.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the barrel I'm wanting to put onto my rifle. Then I'm going to add a tanker muzzle brake.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/DPMS18.308SASSBarrelStripped.aspx
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#6]
sounds like you had a crappy AR. that bull barrel is a pig and you will regret it. my advice would be buy something lighter. the Rainier barrels are a good option.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, it's 3.5lbs in weight and the brake will be another half lbs.

Just as long as it's not at heavy as an M82a1 then I should be fine. It's going to be a wild hog gun for the most part.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are leading a hog you will not want a bull barrel. They are great on the bench, but with a standard upper, and some sort of optic will come in at around 10 pounds. That is why I went with the barrel I linked you to, and used a DPMS lightweight upper. I should get right at, or under 8 pounds. I imagine a little under because the DPMS 20" lightweight hunters are 7.99 pounds, and this barrel is 2" shorter, and probably 4 ounces lighter. The key will be to use a lightweight handguard, and shave off any ounce I can.
I have never put together an AR that would not do 1000 rounds dry between cleaning if pushed. Now you add lube, and they will go farther. If you could not do 100 rounds then there was something most definitely wrong with the rifle.
BTW, you are not getting cordite, and lead fumes spit into your face. The modern powders are nitrocellulose based, and if you were shooting lead boolits they most likely had a gas check to alleviate the obliteration at the base. But, most likely you were shooting jacketed so there would be even less concern. Any lead exposure in the gas would be a minute amount of lead styphnate used in the primer, and the level is so small it would not be detectible in a blood sample after many years of constant shooting. Now if you reload the tumbler could create dust that contains the lead styphnate, but that is why it is recommended to do that outdoors. I prefer wet tumbling to alleviate that exposure.  In other words don't belive the AKaphile's B.S. line about AR's. It is a bunch of made up bull. Although, an AK will eat more twinkies. I have both, and prefer the AR platform do to its modularity, and accuracy. AK's are disposable, AR's are rebuildable.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:00:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I like both for different reasons, but I'm not the only person that's had problems with standard AR 556.

That's why I am just going to build my own. That AR-15 made me sick for a couple of days every time I took it out because of the gas system. I ended up stuffed up with allergies and feeling like crap. I never had that problem with my AKs.

Like I said, when I build a 556 it will be a gas piston.

The rifle I'm building may have a few extra lbs, but I don't mind. I'm not a field operator hiking mountains on a schedule.  I can understand that some folks are conscious about rifle weight, but I don't mind a heavy gun.

By the time I add on a scope and a bipod it will be around 14lbs or so. Maybe 15lbs.

I've got a few receivers to build on, so I'm not going to be limited to one build.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#10]
sounds like you have it all figured out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#11]
An article worth reading. The Big M4 Myth: ‘Fouling caused by the direct impingement gas system makes the M4/M4A1 Carbine unreliable.’.

Mike Pannone, a former 18B SF Weapons Sergeant, JSOC member, USMC Force Recon, US Army SF; and who is a Colt Certified Armorer (to list a few of his qualifications) has duplicated numerous times shooting 2,450 rounds from a fully degreased and oil-free 14.5" M4 variant AR15 before experiencing the first weapons malfunction.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#12]
You must of had a POS Ar if it jammed allot or wasnt taken care of. Never had a jam with my DPMS 308 Oracle with over a 1000 rounds through it. 16 inch barrel. Good luck on the build. don't forget pics and range report.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, I know people like their lighter barrels, and I don't want to sound rude or anything, but I'm pretty much deadset on the fluted barrel. No offense to anyone. I got a few receivers to build different types of rifles as projects. I like puzzles and think of them as such.

I'm sure I will need some help fine tuning it once I get it all up and running and I know you guys are much more experienced than me in that sort of thing with the AR rifle. I'm used to bolt-actions and soviet guns.

Quoted:
You must of had a POS Ar if it jammed allot or wasnt taken care of. Never had a jam with my DPMS 308 Oracle with over a 1000 rounds through it. 16 inch barrel. Good luck on the build. don't forget pics and range report.

Well, I did get the rifle from a person that had a change in legal status that could no longer possess firearms. Essentially got it for free. Not a bad deal.

I will post photos as I piece it together and let you know how accurate it turns out. Im sure I will need to help with some tips to make it more accurate.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, I know people like their lighter barrels, and I don't want to sound rude or anything, but I'm pretty much deadset on the fluted barrel. No offense to anyone. I got a few receivers to build different types of rifles as projects. I like puzzles and think of them as such.

I'm sure I will need some help fine tuning it once I get it all up and running and I know you guys are much more experienced than me in that sort of thing with the AR rifle. I'm used to bolt-actions and soviet guns.

Essentially got it for free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Essentially got it for free.

Can't beat free!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can't beat free!
View Quote

It was a DPMS Lite-16

I'm guessing it had a weak buffer spring or something. It DID foul very quickly, but it would start having issues a couple hundred rounds in where the bolt carrier wouldn't lock completely and was out of battery. It wouldn't happen after every shot, but as I got closer to around 500rds then it would get worse. I never really shot more than 500rds at a time due to the fouling.

I like DPMS, obviously. So, it didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, but it left me not being able to trust the gas system.  I met the DPMS guys at the Shot Show. They're good folk and I like their products.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It was a DPMS Lite-16

I'm guessing it had a weak buffer spring or something. It DID foul very quickly, but it would start having issues a couple hundred rounds in where the bolt carrier wouldn't lock completely and was out of battery. It wouldn't happen after every shot, but as I got closer to around 500rds then it would get worse. I never really shot more than 500rds at a time due to the fouling.

I like DPMS, obviously. So, it didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, but it left me not being able to trust the gas system.  I met the DPMS guys at the Shot Show. They're good folk and I like their products.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't beat free!

It was a DPMS Lite-16

M16 bolt carrier would have taken care of that. Welp, sounds like you know whacha want. Now go piece it together and post up the pics, and groups when its done. You will have to tell us how the piggy huntin goes with it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It was a DPMS Lite-16

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't beat free!

It was a DPMS Lite-16

That could have been a lot things causing your problems. It wasn't the fact it was a gas system.

A few possible reasons

-buffer weight
-bad buffer spring
- your BCG

So is this rifle going to be a DI or piston? It's a bigger version of an AR15 that runs that exact same.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That could have been a lot things causing your problems. It wasn't the fact it was a gas system.

A few possible reasons

-buffer weight
-bad buffer spring
- your BCG

So is this rifle going to be a DI or piston? It's a bigger version of an AR15 that runs that exact same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A few possible reasons

-buffer weight
-bad buffer spring
- your BCG

I'm using the DI setup. I'm not expecting issues due to the increased bolt carrier mass. I'm also switching to the A2 buffer tube and rifle buffer and spring.

Quoted:

M16 bolt carrier would have taken care of that. Welp, sounds like you know whacha want. Now go piece it together and post up the pics, and groups when its done. You will have to tell us how the piggy huntin goes with it.

I just got some more parts today. I'm still waiting on the DPMS tactical grip (DPMS takes their time to ship) and the fixed stock.  Then all I will have left is the barrel and brake when I get some extra cash to place an order.

I have a neighbor that is infested with hogs on his ranch, so I'm hoping to end up with a lot of BBQ material and loin roasts.  Being from the South, I love smoking some hog with hickory. I've got some hogs on my family ranch as well, but I haven't caught up with them more than once. We usually have tall hay growing, so they can hide easily. The last hog I shot was from my longbow and I lost a Zwickey broadhead and a custom arrow because it took a step forward when I released my arrow and I gut shot it...So, now the hogs will be treated to a 308 semi-auto instead.

I didn't want to break out the 50BMG because I want something left behind for smoking.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm using the DI setup. I'm not expecting issues due to the increased bolt carrier mass. I'm also switching to the A2 buffer tube and rifle buffer and spring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few possible reasons

-buffer weight
-bad buffer spring
- your BCG

The problems I was referring to was the ones with you're AR15.

I think your new gun will put some lil hogs in hog heaven. Let us know how it turns out. Like the paint job btw.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#20]
What about headspace?

I would imagine it should all be fine since I'm using a DPMS bolt carrier group inside of a DPMS upper and using a DPMS barrel, right?

Do I really need to pick up GO/NO-GO gauges? What gauges may be better?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#21]

I didn't want to break out the 50BMG because I want something left behind for smoking.
View Quote

That would be a site to see. Vaporized piggy. Should do one and video it. Would go viral on you tube. Peta probably won't like it but fuck em.
When I was stationed down at ft hood, the tank boys used to shoot the cows on the range with the abrahms tank.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That would be a site to see. Vaporized piggy. Should do one and video it. Would go viral on you tube. Peta probably won't like it but fuck em.
When I was stationed down at ft hood, the tank boys used to shoot the cows on the range with the abrahms tank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Poor cows didn't know what hit em. Hope they ate well....
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I probably should, just to piss off the PETA types.

That 50BMG would simply rip them apart from the 15,000ft lbs. of energy.  I think it may be worth the $5 per round.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#24]
OK, now I'm down to the barrel and brake. Then I get to fine tune the accuracy. Unfortunately it will be a little while before I can get the barrel.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#25]
What rail is that?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What rail is that?
View Quote

It's the most affordable low-profile rail that I could find for the DPMS upper.

Some guy in California sells them on Ebay. I wasn't going to pay more for a rail than I paid for my upper receiver or bolt carrier group.

It's solid and fits perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111305597004?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#27]
My Tapco armorer's tool doesn't seem to marry up to the barrel nut holes for the float rail.

Does the 308 have a different arrangement of holes with a larger diameter? Is there a cheap wrench that you guys know about that I could pick up so that I can torque the nut properly when I get the barrel to mount?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Cost a little more at brownnells, and if you have Prime you get it shipped free in two days. Yes, it is a different barrel nut size, and wrench size. Some say you can use an AR 15 wrench if you remove the middle pin.

308 barrel wrench
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks. I figured that there had to be a different wrench for it.

The two outer prongs would slide in but it left the middle prong resting on the outside of the ring and I wasn't about to risk damaging things by not having the proper tool.

I don't really use amazon, but I found one on Midway. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/294971/pri-barrel-nut-wrench-lr-308

What about the outer ring jam nut on the floating rail that tightens it into place against the threads of the barrel nut? Again, the radius is too large to use anything on the AR15 tool.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks. I figured that there had to be a different wrench for it.

The two outer prongs would slide in but it left the middle prong resting on the outside of the ring and I wasn't about to risk damaging things by not having the proper tool.

I don't really use amazon, but I found one on Midway. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/294971/pri-barrel-nut-wrench-lr-308

What about the outer ring jam nut on the floating rail that tightens it into place against the threads of the barrel nut? Again, the radius is too large to use anything on the AR15 tool.
View Quote

Should have came with it....
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:05:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I sent the merchant a message asking if they were supposed to come with a tool and he hasn't responded yet. It's not the end of the world. I work it if I can't find a simple little tool to fit it.

I just didn't know if you guys knew of a tool for it that wasn't just supplied with a rail. If anyone has one they're not using then that would be cool too. Maybe a motorcycle spanner wrench would work.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:08:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I sent the merchant a message asking if they were supposed to come with a tool and he hasn't responded yet. It's not the end of the world. I work it if I can't find a simple little tool to fit it.

I just didn't know if you guys knew of a tool for it that wasn't just supplied with a rail. If anyone has one they're not using then that would be cool too. Maybe a motorcycle spanner wrench would work.
View Quote

You will have to buy the tool, but the jam nut is what I was referring to . It should have came with the nut to tighten the rail if it uses one. I can't tell from the pic if it does or not. Once you get a barrel you will be able to tell if it will tighten properly or not. Got my BCG today. I should have my barrel, and upper thursday. Fun stuff, and a bit of a change from the AR-15 builds.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:You will have to buy the tool, but the jam nut is what I was referring to . It should have came with the nut to tighten the rail if it uses one. I can't tell from the pic if it does or not. Once you get a barrel you will be able to tell if it will tighten properly or not. Got my BCG today. I should have my barrel, and upper thursday. Fun stuff, and a bit of a change from the AR-15 builds.
View Quote

Oh, I have the barrel nut and the jam nut to mount and snug the rail.

I was talking about the tool to tighten the jam nut against the rail to firm it up. If all else fails, I can just use a large flathead screw driver and lightly tap it to tighten. I just would prefer a cheap tool.

Again, most available tools are for the AR-15, so it makes it a bit of a pain to try and verify which will fit, FOR SURE, on the 308. It's slightly annoying, but it's part of the process of trying to build something out of the norm.

The notches in the style jam nut that is on this rail looks similar to that of a motorcycle suspension spanner wrench. So, I may just be able to use one of those. A tool is a tool.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I was talking about the tool to tighten the jam nut against the rail to firm it up. If all else fails, I can just use a large flathead screw driver and lightly tap it to tighten. I just would prefer a cheap tool.

Again, most available tools are for the AR-15, so it makes it a bit of a pain to try and verify which will fit, FOR SURE, on the 308. It's slightly annoying, but it's part of the process of trying to build something out of the norm.

The notches in the style jam nut that is on this rail looks similar to that of a motorcycle suspension spanner wrench. So, I may just be able to use one of those. A tool is a tool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:You will have to buy the tool, but the jam nut is what I was referring to . It should have came with the nut to tighten the rail if it uses one. I can't tell from the pic if it does or not. Once you get a barrel you will be able to tell if it will tighten properly or not. Got my BCG today. I should have my barrel, and upper thursday. Fun stuff, and a bit of a change from the AR-15 builds.

Spanner wrench if you got it, but I have tightened a few on AR's with a couple of taps on a large flathead screwdriver. If done carefully it will not mar the finish. But like you said, this is a 308 so it is best to make sure everything is nice and tight before letting loose on the boom stick.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I just got the new replacement Magpul stock and painted it with a base coat of paint. I also switched out my scopes with my deer hunting rifle. This scope is mil-dot with illuminated reticles for low light. Should be good for shooting hogs. I have used that scope to shoot deer in the brain while they were running and or walking at distances between 225yrds and 325yrds. I don't think I will be missing a big fat hog head.

I'm waiting for it all to be assembled and then I will add some accent green by taping off the gun.

I am hoping to have the barrel Saturday, but it may be Monday before it gets to me.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e311/Blacktalons/308Stockon.jpg
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#36]
So, I got my barrel, finally, and I painted it up. I didn't have a vise block, so I wrapped my legs around the rifle and tightened the barrel on to 30lbs and then to 50lbs with my torque wrench.

Everything functions and I believe the gas block to be aligned. The problem is that the rail is SO low profile that it wouldn't allow me to screw the floating rail on over the gas block, so I had to slide the block into place after having installed the rail. Then I tightened the block through the rail. When I tightened the block is shifted to where the bolts were aligned with the divots tapped into the underside of the barrel by DPMS.

I'm guessing the rifle won't blow up. I can't justify paying $70+ for Go/No-Go gauges right now on a gun that has a bolt carrier and barrel from the same company. They should all be to spec. I had posted a local thread on the hometown section asking if anyone around me had one, but no replies.

I will take some better outdoor photos later when its not wet or raining. I won't be able to take the rifle to the range to sight it in for a couple of weeks.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e311/Blacktalons/308-2.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e311/Blacktalons/308-1.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e311/Blacktalons/308-3.jpg
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Gauges aren't really necessary, I've built half a dozen uppers without using them and no issues yet.  If you bought quality parts from reputable manufacturers then there should be no issues with headspacing.  And if it's out of spec, there's nothing you can do about it anyway other than replace the parts.  I typically just keep my face away from it for the first few shots, just in case
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:01:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Gauges aren't really necessary, I've built half a dozen uppers without using them and no issues yet.  If you bought quality parts from reputable manufacturers then there should be no issues with headspacing.  And if it's out of spec, there's nothing you can do about it anyway other than replace the parts.  I typically just keep my face away from it for the first few shots, just in case
View Quote

Well, I bought all DPMS parts for the upper and lower, so I don't see that there would be any issue. A DPMS bolt carrier group should marry exactly with a DPMS  SASS barrel.

I have to be honest, I have thought about loading the rifle into a gun vise and just using a string for about five founds to break it's cherry :P

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, I took the rifle to the range for it's first shoot.

It's a great rifle, but has a few issues to take care of.  The rifle isn't locking the bolt carrier back after the last round of the magazine. I'm assuming that either the buffer is too heavy or the buffer spring I bought is a little too stiff and not allowing enough travel to allow the follower to push the lock up.

I also forgot the slather the bolt carrier and bolt in oil before taking it to the range. DPMS recommends running their rifles VERY wet during the break-in period. So, that could have been part of the issue as well.

Then there is an issue with horizontal bullet travel walking across the target. The elevation is fine, but the zero wouldn't stay on the horizontal plane.

I'm thinking that my quick-release scope mount may have a very slight amount of "wiggle" in it that I can't feel by hand. It has a bolt and locking allen screw in place to allow for tension adjustment. I didn't have the tools with me to correct it, so I'm hoping that is the problem.

I was using cheap $14 a box "Perfecta" ammo just to break the rifle in, but I don't think that cheap ammo would have 4" worth of travel at 100yrds, especially horizontally.

I took a classmate of mine out to show him how to use firearms since he's not had proper experience.  Two birds with one stone; teaching someone to shoot and trying out a home-built rifle.

Oh, and the muzzle brake is wonderful. The rifle barely recoils and it is easy to keep on target after firing. Standing on the side is a different story. Damn it has some concussion.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's a great rifle, but has a few issues to take care of.  The rifle isn't locking the bolt carrier back after the last round of the magazine. I'm assuming that either the buffer is too heavy or the buffer spring I bought is a little too stiff and not allowing enough travel to allow the follower to push the lock up.

I also forgot the slather the bolt carrier and bolt in oil before taking it to the range. DPMS recommends running their rifles VERY wet during the break-in period. So, that could have been part of the issue as well.

Then there is an issue with horizontal bullet travel walking across the target. The elevation is fine, but the zero wouldn't stay on the horizontal plane.

I'm thinking that my quick-release scope mount may have a very slight amount of "wiggle" in it that I can't feel by hand. It has a bolt and locking allen screw in place to allow for tension adjustment. I didn't have the tools with me to correct it, so I'm hoping that is the problem.

I was using cheap $14 a box "Perfecta" ammo just to break the rifle in, but I don't think that cheap ammo would have 4" worth of travel at 100yrds, especially horizontally.

I took a classmate of mine out to show him how to use firearms since he's not had proper experience.  Two birds with one stone; teaching someone to shoot and trying out a home-built rifle.

Oh, and the muzzle brake is wonderful. The rifle barely recoils and it easy to keep on target after firing. Standing on the side is a different story. Damn it has some concussion.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e311/Blacktalons/RangeRifle.jpg
View Quote

Looks like the guy in the back is enjoying it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Hahaha, yeah, he didn't enjoy the concussion at all. My rifle was knocking crap off of the table
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So, I got my barrel, finally, and I painted it up. I didn't have a vise block, so I wrapped my legs around the rifle and tightened the barrel on to 30lbs and then to 50lbs with my torque wrench.

Everything functions and I believe the gas block to be aligned. The problem is that the rail is SO low profile that it wouldn't allow me to screw the floating rail on over the gas block, so I had to slide the block into place after having installed the rail. Then I tightened the block through the rail. When I tightened the block is shifted to where the bolts were aligned with the divots tapped into the underside of the barrel by DPMS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a great rifle, but has a few issues to take care of.  The rifle isn't locking the bolt carrier back after the last round of the magazine.

This might be your problem. If the gas block is not aligned with the gas port, it will cut down on the pressure. I would make sure the gas port is properly aligned with the gas block before I went much further with troubleshooting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#44]
BTW, nice rifle OP. I'm saving up money to finish my first .308 build. Rifles like yours encourage me to stay a little longer at work to get a few extra dollars in overtime pay.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This might be your problem. If the gas block is not aligned with the gas port, it will cut down on the pressure. I would make sure the gas port is properly aligned with the gas block before I went much further with troubleshooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a great rifle, but has a few issues to take care of.  The rifle isn't locking the bolt carrier back after the last round of the magazine.

It was locking at first but then the last two magazines it failed to lock back.

The gas block is aligned. I checked the gas block when I got home (after posting on here) and the set screws were a bit loose and the block was wobbly. It's pretty hard to not align the gas block into the correct position because the two set screws rest inside of two factory-tapped divots and it aligns it into place. I need to add some loctite to the threads of the screws and make sure they don't wiggle loose again.

And thanks. I wanted to build myself a fun 308 pig gun
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The gas block is aligned. I checked the gas block when I got home (after posting on here) and the set screws were a bit loose and the block was wobbly. It's pretty hard to not align the gas block into the correct position because the two set screws rest inside of two factory-tapped divots and it aligns it into place. I need to add some loctite to the threads of the screws and make sure they don't wiggle loose again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That thing is gonna fuck some pigs up!!!! Did you end up going with the bull barrel, how much does she weigh? Looks great!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That thing is gonna fuck some pigs up!!!! Did you end up going with the bull barrel, how much does she weigh? Looks great!
View Quote

Yeah, I went with the DPMS 308Win SASS barrel.  I like it. I put 80 rounds through it the other day and it didn't really get hot. The fluting did help a bit.

I don't know how much she weighs, but it's not crazy heavy or anything. The barrel doesn't weigh that much more than a regular barrel. Some people just get a little too worked up about an extra half pound. Hell, my muzzle brake weighs half a pound by itself. I don't have a scale around to weigh it out but I can handle it just fine without complaint. I may get around to using my shipping scale (stored across the state right now) sometime for the pedantic types so they can talk about how they need a 4lbs 308.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top