Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2014 9:26:18 AM EDT
I made a thread some time ago looking for help on getting an optic for the 458 socom. That thread has disappeared so now I have to make a new one to ask my questions. I purchased an AimPoint Pro based off many peoples recommendations for its ease of use with 458. I purchased it from Midway USA and have had nothing but problems with the scope since then. I have received 3 scopes from them and everyone of them have had a red line running through them when the optic is off or when the optic is turned on. Is there any of you that have had the same problem with one?

Also next question, I will not be going back to one of them for my 458 and am instead now looking at a 1-4 or 2-7 scope. Does anybody have any recommendations for something like that? Prefer to stay under that $400 range.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I but a Leupold VX-R Hog 1.24-4X20 FireDot scope on my .50 Beowulf and couldn't be happier.  It's tough as a bag of hammers (as all Leupold are) which means it will stand up to the beating of a .458 or .50 and it's just a fantastic optic.  Great clarity and FireDot is awesome for lowlight situations.  The FireDot is motion activated so it will turn on and off on it's own so battery life isn't an issue plus you can change the intensity of the red dot to your liking. The reticle on the "Hog" is designed for hunting hogs and other game that might run but it will work for anything.  I have mine mounted in a Burris PEPR mount because they are built like tanks just like I wanted.

I have no doubt you would be extremely happy with one.  It may be a tad over your $400 mark but not by too much and it's well worth the money.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Have the same Leupold VXR on my socom.  Works great.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the others.  Any good quality variable in the 1-4 or even the Leupold 1.5 - 5 and 1.75 - 6x is more than enough scope for any shot with the .458 SOCOM.  On three of my .458s I have a 2-7, 1 - 4, and 1.75 - 6.  By far and away the 1 - 4 is the most useful and the 2 - 7 is the least.  Too much on the high end if you forget to turn the power down and something gets up close.  When it comes to shooting the .458S at range, if you cannot see your target well enough to hit it with 4x then you really should not be shooting anyway.  I use a 1.75 - 6 x on a .416 Rigby that is loaded to the max and I have shot it quite easily out to 600 yards, so IMO the belief that you need super high powers for shooting at long range is a myth the scope dealers like to perpetuate.  I will flat out promise you that more game owes it life to hunters being over scoped than under scoped.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree with the others.  Any good quality variable in the 1-4 or even the Leupold 1.5 - 5 and 1.75 - 6x is more than enough scope for any shot with the .458 SOCOM.  On three of my .458s I have a 2-7, 1 - 4, and 1.75 - 6.  By far and away the 1 - 4 is the most useful and the 2 - 7 is the least.  Too much on the high end if you forget to turn the power down and something gets up close.  When it comes to shooting the .458S at range, if you cannot see your target well enough to hit it with 4x then you really should not be shooting anyway.  I use a 1.75 - 6 x on a .416 Rigby that is loaded to the max and I have shot it quite easily out to 600 yards, so IMO the belief that you need super high powers for shooting at long range is a myth the scope dealers like to perpetuate.  I will flat out promise you that more game owes it life to hunters being over scoped than under scoped.
View Quote

I was hoping you'd poke around in here. I have been lurking over on 458socomforums to ask the same question but I know they had closed registration because Marty was out of service. Read a few of your lengthy posts about optics and makes my brain hurt.

I have been looking at optics from Nikon, Vortex, and Leupold.
-What are the REAL differences between the VX-1, VX-2, VX-3, and the VX-R? Anything that actually makes the next higher one $100 more then the lower one?
-WIll a Vortex Crossfire II and the Nikon Prostaff hold up to the recoil of the 458?
-What is the ideal parallax setting for the 458. (I hadn't even worried about it until your post about it on the 458 forum.)
-What is the best tube diameter?

I was kind of hoping this Aimpoint would work out because I now have a Larue mount for an Aimpoint I wont have that I can't return per their return policy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:46:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I used a vx-2, 2x7x33 with a custom reticle for along time . If I had it to do over I would of just went with a standard duplex reticle . the scope its self is very durable and the glass is great , very good early in the morning and late in the evening . I got a killer deal on a leupold mk4 cqt 1x3 power and that is what I use now but I would not hesitate to go with another vx 2. I kind of like the vx3 1.5x5 with the circle dot reticle it would give you a fast up close reticle for situations like a deer blasting by under your stand or you could crank it up to 5 x for a better look at a deer out at 100 yds or so.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#6]

I was hoping you'd poke around in here. I have been lurking over on 458socomforums to ask the same question but I know they had closed registration because Marty was out of service. Read a few of your lengthy posts about optics and makes my brain hurt.

-What are the REAL differences between the VX-1, VX-2, VX-3, and the VX-R? Anything that actually makes the next higher one $100 more then the lower one?
-WIll a Vortex Crossfire II and the Nikon Prostaff hold up to the recoil of the 458?
-What is the ideal parallax setting for the 458. (I hadn't even worried about it until your post about it on the 458 forum.)

I was kind of hoping this Aimpoint would work out because I now have a Larue mount for an Aimpoint I wont have that I can't return per their return policy.
View Quote

Best tube, I like either 1" or 30mm equally well.  They say the 30mm 'gather' more light but I use both and I cannot tell the difference.
Ideal parallax, I like what Leupold uses, 150 yards.  The closer the parallax settings the larger the error at longer range.  So, parallax error at short range with a scope with its setting to long range will be less than a scope with the parallax set for short range then you shoot at long range.  I have three of the Leupold Turkey scopes on a 5.56, .30 HRT, and .458 and they work great.  I sent them back to Leupold to have the parallax adjusted from 40 yards to 150 yards and have zero complaints.  If I could find several more of those scopes in FDE I'd buy them in a heartbeat (if at the price I paid for those three).
Difference, not much.  I have all of the except the VXR. The biggest thing I see is the VX1 has friction W&E adjustments, the VX2 and 3 have click.  I am not sure on this so check, but I think the VX1 has 1 / 2 MOA adjustments and the VX2 and VX3 have 1 / 4 MOA adjustments.  My eyes cannot tell a lick of difference in the quality of the glass and none of mine have given me the first lick of trouble.  I use to buy only the top end VX3 (when they were only bettered by the Mark 4 scopes) but they have gone up in price so much I have been buying the VX1 and 2 and am running them on all kinds of calibers and none of them have balked in the least.  The mentioned turkey scopes are VX1 scopes and as I said, I could not be happier.  I'm perfectly happy to buy VX1 or VX2, which ever is cheaper or on sale.  The VX-1 Hog scope is just the ticket IMO for the .458 SOCOM.
I know the Nikon will do OK because my hunting partner uses one.  I have not used nor do I know anyone using the Vortex but I have not heard anything bad about them either.

The Aimpoint would work just fine too.  It should have no trouble with the SOCOM.  I like some magnification normally though for a hunting rig and usually run some type of power. Although, today I was running one of those Chi-com Primary Arms micro-red dots on my .475 TREMOR, (.458S necked up) and put 50 rounds through it.  I really expected it to fail right off the bat but it hung in there for all of them and looks no worse for the wear.  Honestly, I am impressed with that little POS so far (why do I call it a POS?  Come on, less than $50, Chinese, it can't be that well made, can it?).  Adjustments are click and precise, dot is as good as any I have seen, including Aimpoint, in fact, except for being Chinese made I can find nothing wrong with it, yet.  It may fall apart tomorrow though and it would not surprise me in the least, but so far, so good.

To get registered on 458SOCOMFORUMS go into the top registration thread by TonyM and look in there.  He has email addresses and the information he needs to get you registered.  It might take a week but usually no more than that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Best tube, I like either 1" or 30mm equally well.  They say the 30mm 'gather' more light but I use both and I cannot tell the difference.
Ideal parallax, I like what Leupold uses, 150 yards.  The closer the parallax settings the larger the error at longer range.  So, parallax error at short range with a scope with its setting to long range will be less than a scope with the parallax set for short range then you shoot at long range.  I have three of the Leupold Turkey scopes on a 5.56, .30 HRT, and .458 and they work great.  I sent them back to Leupold to have the parallax adjusted from 40 yards to 150 yards and have zero complaints.  If I could find several more of those scopes in FDE I'd buy them in a heartbeat (if at the price I paid for those three).
Difference, not much.  I have all of the except the VXR. The biggest thing I see is the VX1 has friction W&E adjustments, the VX2 and 3 have click.  I am not sure on this so check, but I think the VX1 has 1 / 2 MOA adjustments and the VX2 and VX3 have 1 / 4 MOA adjustments.  My eyes cannot tell a lick of difference in the quality of the glass and none of mine have given me the first lick of trouble.  I use to buy only the top end VX3 (when they were only bettered by the Mark 4 scopes) but they have gone up in price so much I have been buying the VX1 and 2 and am running them on all kinds of calibers and none of them have balked in the least.  The mentioned turkey scopes are VX1 scopes and as I said, I could not be happier.  I'm perfectly happy to buy VX1 or VX2, which ever is cheaper or on sale.  The VX-1 Hog scope is just the ticket IMO for the .458 SOCOM.
I know the Nikon will do OK because my hunting partner uses one.  I have not used nor do I know anyone using the Vortex but I have not heard anything bad about them either.

The Aimpoint would work just fine too.  It should have no trouble with the SOCOM.  I like some magnification normally though for a hunting rig and usually run some type of power. Although, today I was running one of those Chi-com Primary Arms micro-red dots on my .475 TREMOR, (.458S necked up) and put 50 rounds through it.  I really expected it to fail right off the bat but it hung in there for all of them and looks no worse for the wear.  Honestly, I am impressed with that little POS so far (why do I call it a POS?  Come on, less than $50, Chinese, it can't be that well made, can it?).  Adjustments are click and precise, dot is as good as any I have seen, including Aimpoint, in fact, except for being Chinese made I can find nothing wrong with it, yet.  It may fall apart tomorrow though and it would not surprise me in the least, but so far, so good.

To get registered on 458SOCOMFORUMS go into the top registration thread by TonyM and look in there.  He has email addresses and the information he needs to get you registered.  It might take a week but usually no more than that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

-Where can you find the parallax that Leupold is using? Cant find it posted on the scope pages.

-I was hoping the Aimpoint would work out and if I wanted I could always get a magnifier to put behind it. So i ordered the Aimpoint Pro and a Larue mount to go with it. If only the plan would of worked out. I have sent the Aimpoint back to Midway 3 times now because they weren't working properly. Also have the Larue mount that they won't return because its been more then their 15 day return policy.

-I'm now looking at a vx-2 2-7-33mm scope. Does the shotgun/muzzleloader model have a higher recoil management or is it just a shorter parallax.

-I was able to get registered on 458socomforums in less than 24 hours.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, the only real difference between the shotgun/ML and rifle scopes is the parallax range so far as I know.  I am not sure where it is but I either got that distance (150) from the web site, scope manual, or they told me in an email, one of the three.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, the only real difference between the shotgun/ML and rifle scopes is the parallax range so far as I know.  I am not sure where it is but I either got that distance (150) from the web site, scope manual, or they told me in an email, one of the three.
View Quote

So for the 458 a parallax setting of 150 yards is better then one of say 100 yards (like the Nikon prostaff) or is there even much difference between the two for it to effect it? I know my father hunts with one of the Nikon Prostaff slughunters 3-9x40 and had no problems but I don't like how he has it mounted.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#10]
IMO the difference between a parallax of 100 and 150 on a short range round like the SOCOM would not be even remotely noticeable.
 On a long range round I would want 150 or better yet, a scope with parallax adjustment, but on a rifle that is to be used at under 400 yards I would not worry about it.  The SOCOMS are accurate but not so accurate that any parallax error would be measuresble.  Now on a shotgun scope with parralax set at 40 or 50 yards, maybe, but it would still be fairly small.
My advice is to get the scope you like best and so long the parallax is at least 100 yards I would not worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:31:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a Millet 1-4. I do not recommend it for the 458 SOCOM. It just doesn't hold up.

I would go with a Leupold or a Vortex. 1-4 is nice if its a true 1 power.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Odd, I have a Millet DMR on my 16 inch heavy in a QD PEPR mount and it has held up fine.  I know of several people running the DMR Millet without issue.  You must have gotten a bad one; it happens.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I love my Leupold FX-II 4x.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm aching for a VORTEX 2.5-10x44 PST & a T-1 at 45 degrees.

I figure that should cover it for Alaska.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
IMO the difference between a parallax of 100 and 150 on a short range round like the SOCOM would not be even remotely noticeable.
 On a long range round I would want 150 or better yet, a scope with parallax adjustment, but on a rifle that is to be used at under 400 yards I would not worry about it.  The SOCOMS are accurate but not so accurate that any parallax error would be measuresble.  Now on a shotgun scope with parralax set at 40 or 50 yards, maybe, but it would still be fairly small.
My advice is to get the scope you like best and so long the parallax is at least 100 yards I would not worry about it.
View Quote

Good deal. The different ones I have been looking at have been 100 yard or higher on the parallax.

The scope I have liked the best so far is the Leupold VX-R but I don't know if I can justify the extra coin just to have the center illuminated on the cross hairs over say the VX-2.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#16]
What does everybody prefer on mounts?

Any difference between the Burris P.E.P.R. and SWFA S.S.A.L.T. mount?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What does everybody prefer on mounts?

Any difference between the Burris P.E.P.R. and SWFA S.S.A.L.T. mount?
View Quote

I've dealt with the Burris and Primary Arms 1-piece mounts for my brother's 6.8 and ended
giving him an LT-104 for a birthday/Christmas present.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I run a LaRue mount on my Grendel, very good mounts but not really necessary for a rifle with a 150-200 yard max range.  I wouldn't spend LaRue money on a big bore, I have the Burris PEPR on a few rifles and they are tough.  I don't know anything about the SWFA version, I've never heard of it, but the PEPR is a great choice for a big bore.  It's good strong, thick metal that will stand up to pretty much whatever you give it, which is why I chose it for my Beowulf.  I didn't need a really expensive high precision mount, like the LaRue, I just needed quality and strength which the PEPR has.  Plus it's considerably more affordable which saves more money for ammo .
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I've heard good things about the Burris but when looking at SWFA's website their mount looks nearly identical. Just trying to find a good setup since I had a bad taste with the AImpoint Pro I had.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Burris PEPR QD on one .458S and I am not a fan.  Heavy, clunky, but it does offer forward positioning if that is needed for a particular scope, as it is with the Millet DMS scope.  On my other .458S I run Leupolds and they work out fine (no offset needed) with the much lighter Warne Ultra-High QD Maxima rings.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a Burris PEPR QD on one .458S and I am not a fan.  Heavy, clunky, but it does offer forward positioning if that is needed for a particular scope, as it is with the Millet DMS scope.  On my other .458S I run Leupolds and they work out fine (no offset needed) with the much lighter Warne Ultra-High QD Maxima rings.
View Quote

Yes B.B. I have saw where you didn't like the QD P.E.P.R. at all but I haven't heard that about the non-QD. So many options and such little money.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Anybody heard about a place called riflegear.com?

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1932-leupold-vx-r-3-9x40-illuminated-riflescope-green-illumination.aspx

Found that yesterday and that is $100 cheaper then I have found anybody else. It seems a little too good to be true.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I never use quick detach mounts.  There's a lot of convenience with the QD mounts and I'm sure there are instances where they are needed but I'm just your average shooter.  There are times when I'm at a range where there are people I don't know who could easily and quickly pop a QD mounted optic off and make it disappear before I realized it was gone.  When you're talking about a $600-2000 optic, that's a big problem.  I'm a former LEO and one thing I've learned from that is if you assume that the people around you, regardless of how trustworthy they seem, won't steal from you, you have already screwed up.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:15:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I never use quick detach mounts.  There's a lot of convenience with the QD mounts and I'm sure there are instances where they are needed but I'm just your average shooter.  There are times when I'm at a range where there are people I don't know who could easily and quickly pop a QD mounted optic off and make it disappear before I realized it was gone.  When you're talking about a $600-2000 optic, that's a big problem.  I'm a former LEO and one thing I've learned from that is if you assume that the people around you, regardless of how trustworthy they seem, won't steal from you, you have already screwed up.
View Quote

Yes, I wasn't looking for a QD mount. Just know BB has had problems with the QD Burris but haven't heard any negatives about the fixed if that's the best way to call it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I feel certain the fixed would be fine and give no problems what so ever.  My QD won't hold zero if I take it off and reinstall it, so guess what?  I don't take it off, problem solved.  It holds zero just fine when used as a fixed mount and even though it is big and clunky, it works just fine and gets that Millet DMS out where it needs to be.
I had to take it off last week when I Duracoated the barrel and sure enough, the tension on the levers had to be adjusted even though it was going back in the same exact spot.  And of course, it lost zero by an inch and a half up and one inch left.  The zero had not drifted even a little over the last year until I removed it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Has anybody heard about a place called Rifle Gear out of California? They have a Leupold VX-R for $399.99 and seems like one of those to good to be true prices.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Has anybody heard about a place called Rifle Gear out of California? They have a Leupold VX-R for $399.99 and seems like one of those to good to be true prices.
View Quote

Wow, that's a heck of a deal...I don't know anything about that company though.  Might ask in the Optics area if anyone knows anything about them.  Would be a shame to miss out on a great deal but it would suck to get shafted too.  A 3-9x40 seems like too much magnification for a gun that has a max range of 150 yards..
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Wow, that's a heck of a deal...I don't know anything about that company though.  Might ask in the Optics area if anyone knows anything about them.  Would be a shame to miss out on a great deal but it would suck to get shafted too.  A 3-9x40 seems like too much magnification for a gun that has a max range of 150 yards..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't find any good information on the company itself and don't want to be a guinea pig for that much money. They do say that the one they are selling is a green dot instead of the red dot.

Max range of 150? Never saw that before. I personally saw my uncle drop one at little over 200 yards with his 458s.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#29]
"Officially" most folks say 150-200 yards max but they obviously can go further but that's what everyone says.  I've seen video of a guy banging steel at 700-800 yards with a Beowulf so hard it was like getting hit with a sledgehammer but it was more of a rainbow trajectory from what I could tell.  I've yet to hear of anyone taking shots at game longer than 200 with one of the "big 3" guns.  I'm sure it's possible but I've never heard anyone ever say they've done it.

The furthest I've been able to shoot my Beowulf was 100 yards just because I don't have access to a longer area to see where it starts falling off.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I purchased a FN AR rifle barrel from them recently and had no problems. Prior to that I purchased a clamp-on A2 front sight base. Both times they shipped promptly with email status of my order.
chris
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks all for the help. I think I am going to try out a Vortex Crossfire II.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#32]
How is the focal depth on the Leopolds?  I picked up a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9 with a this reticule last year, but it could not be focused in for close shots - so I returned it.  I did love the Tactical Fire Dot (or whatever they call that reticule.

---

I would need to check model to model - but one difference between the lower end and higher end Leopolds is the reticle.  Higher end tend to be etched glass and can be custom shop serviced.  Lower end tends to be wire and not custom shop serviced.  Neat thing about the custom shop - if you want to pay for it, it opens up tons of reticle options.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:44:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I can't find any good information on the company itself and don't want to be a guinea pig for that much money. They do say that the one they are selling is a green dot instead of the red dot.

Max range of 150? Never saw that before. I personally saw my uncle drop one at little over 200 yards with his 458s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calguns seems to have good standing with them.  

The VX-R is a very good piece of equipment,  and they are one of the lower cost Leupold scopes that are built on a single piece tube.  While you aren't likely to break a VX-1 on a big bore,  the single piece design is stronger.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top