Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2014 1:41:29 PM EDT
Just got delivery of a RRA AR in 9mm. It won't run. It fires one round and engages the safety somehow, the trigger won't pull. If you

cycle the safety, you can see the trigger jump a bit, and then it will fire. I hate to send it back to them, might take a while. It looks to me

like the hammer is a little shorter than mil-spec, but the trigger and disconnecter look identical to one I took off a Stag lower.

Advice? Should I try a different trigger or just send it in? Kind of bums me out, an $1100 rifle from a respected company.

ETA: Jump a bit, not and.

ETA 2: Little more info, the safety lever doesn't move on firing, but the trigger/sear is prevented from moving somehow. Also,

I fired about 40 rounds just fine before the malfunction.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Is this just bad machining?  All of the pins and springs and detents seem tight and normal.  Should I just dremel a little more "flat" on the safety?

That wouldn't change anything on the trigger/sear and should still be safe, right?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Where are you putting your right thumb when you fire?  The ONLY way I can think of for the safety lever to move when the rifle fires is for the shooter's right thumb to bump it during recoil.

I'd very carefully evaluate my grip at the range before I contacted RRA on this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#3]
No, it's not that. Not touching the safety lever. And I don't think it's an in-battery problem. The gun doesn't have a forward-assist, but

I cleaned and lubed it, and when I had the ftfs, I tried pulling the charging handle back and letting it slam home, no effect.

I think it's the trigger or insufficient flat on the safety.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Although, I can't get it to malfunction with the upper off.  Does that mean the bolt is interfering with something?  It can only touch the

hammer, right?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Just checked it out some more.  After the fail-to-fire, when I cycle the safety lever, the trigger resets about an 1/8" forward.  What's

going on there?  It will then fire.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently got an alexander arms beowulf upper that wasnt working and I called the manufacture . they wanted to send me a new firing pin and more ammo but I sent the upper back with instructions that they should put the firing pin in and shoot it their self then if it dont blow up in they're face I will call it good . It ended up being a chamber dimension issue and the customer service rep said it should of never got out of the factory .
If you bought this gun brand new you should contact rock river and discuss your issue . I doubt it will take that long to fix it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I recently got an alexander arms beowulf upper that wasnt working and I called the manufacture . they wanted to send me a new firing pin and more ammo but I sent the upper back with instructions that they should put the firing pin in and shoot it their self then if it dont blow up in they're face I will call it good . It ended up being a chamber dimension issue and the customer service rep said it should of never got out of the factory .

If you bought this gun brand new you should contact rock river and discuss your issue . I doubt it will take that long to fix it.
View Quote

It is brand new and you are probably right.  It's just tempting to drop in the trigger I have and see if that's the issue.  I know they should

and would make it right.  Is  RRA a no-questions-asked company?  Cause I'm not going to change anything by pushing out a few pins and trying

a mil-spec trigger.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#8]
In for interest.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Complete gun or did you build/buy the lower separately? RRA 9mm BCG is not ramped, which means it needs a specific 9mm hammer.  Otherwise you get issues like you are having.  You need a ramped BCG like JP or CMMG in order to use a standard AR hammer.  Maybe someone at RRA grabbed a hammer from the wrong bucket.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
It sounds a bit like the trigger isn't installed properly. Is the trigger resetting? Unload gun, make sure unloaded, cycle charging handle to cock hammer, pull trigger and hold to rear. Hammer should fall. Continue holding to rear and cycle charging handle. You should feel disconnector grab hammer with a click. Now let go of trigger slowly and you should hear the disconnector click loose. At this point it has reset and if you pull it hammer will fall again. Possible issues are disconnector spring in upside down, or weak trigger spring.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Complete gun or did you build/buy the lower separately? RRA 9mm BCG is not ramped, which means it needs a specific 9mm hammer. Otherwise you get issues like you are having. You need a ramped BCG like JP or CMMG in order to use a standard AR hammer. Maybe someone at RRA grabbed a hammer from the wrong bucket.
View Quote

Yes, complete gun from RRA.  The hammer appears to be shorter than mil-spec without disassembling.  I did shoot like 40 rounds before

any ftfire.  Fuck it, I'm going to put in some stag trigger parts.  If it still doesn't work, I'll call them.  Most reputable gun manufacturers would

still fix any problem even if I tried to bubba smith it, right?  I am disappoint RRA.  Are you listening?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It sounds a bit like the trigger isn't installed properly. Is the trigger resetting? Unload gun, make sure unloaded, cycle charging handle to cock hammer, pull trigger and hold to rear. Hammer should fall. Continue holding to rear and cycle charging handle. You should feel disconnector grab hammer with a click. Now let go of trigger slowly and you should hear the disconnector click loose. At this point it has reset and if you pull it hammer will fall again. Possible issues are disconnector spring in upside down, or weak trigger spring.
View Quote

Alright, this was the expert knowledge I was hoping for.

Tried that, hammer does fall, trigger does not reset, have to push it forward. Don't feel anything while pulling the charging handle. No connection to the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are up to a trigger re-install, and are sure you know how to remove and re-install it, that's what I would do. If not seek local knowledgeable AR armorer, or return to RRA.

Check that the trigger spring is in properly and the legs are against the bottom of the receiver. Maybe it is in backward. If there is no spring tension you'd have to push it forward like you said. Smells fishy to me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Since it ran fine 40 some rounds, I'd disassemble and inspect.  I bet you find some debris/mfg. junk in it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Since it ran fine 40 some rounds, I'd disassemble and inspect.  I bet you find some debris/mfg. junk in it.
View Quote

This is a great point.  Look for parts of a primer cup or other similar debris.  That kind of thing can completely hose a disconnector.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Tagscribed to see what the deal is....

Red

ps - I do love RRA stuff
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I called RRA yesterday, and the tech said it sounded like the disconnector.  He asked if I felt comfortable working on the trigger, and

if not they would have me send it in.  I told him I had done several swaps, no big deal, so he said they would send me a new

disconnector.  As soon as I got off the phone, I put a Stag part in, problem solved.  The RRA disconnector was about .125" longer

comparing them side-by-side.  Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad to hear it was an easy fix.  Now go run some rounds through that thing.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Glad to hear it was an easy fix. Now go run some rounds through that thing.
View Quote

This gun is a blast!!  Smacks the plates way harder than a pistol.  And so much easier to load for.  More shooting for the win!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Glad you got it sorted out. Most times I try to help the OP doesn't follow up with the fix, which is the good info for readers with similar issues.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#21]
good for you . glad it was an easy fix
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top