Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2014 5:46:09 AM EDT
Just wondering if anybody out there has built a 243 from the new DPMS GII .308 yet?  I was thinking about purchasing a new G2 and then have it rebarreled to .243.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
where are you going to get a .243 barrel with the new GII extension?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if it's possible, but remove the existing barrel extension and go from there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
DPMS has stated they should have parts available this fall.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure if it's possible, but remove the existing barrel extension and go from there.
View Quote

It can be done, the funsmith would also need to know the thread pattern of the barrel and would need to have
the original bolt for proper head-spacing and so forth...Since DPMS has not released any parts for the G2 (that
I know of anyway) such as the upper receiver, barrel extension, barrel nut, etc...So you would have to buy a
complete rifle and have the said upper components dis-assembled and have a new barrel fitted...Also, one
would also need to have working barrel nut wrench to remove the original barrel from the upper.

I personally would go with the .260 Remington or 7mm-08 calibers for the conversion, I feel that the .243 Win. is
not worth the effort as you will loose a lot of performance with anything less (IMHO) for a project of this type.
That of course depends on what you are looking to do with the .243 Win. caliber/round...

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I emailed DPMS when the other calibers come out. Was told in the near future. No specific time frame.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I personally would go with the .260 Remington or 7mm-08 calibers for the conversion, I feel that the .243 Win. is
not worth the effort as you will loose a lot of performance with anything less (IMHO) for a project of this type.
That of course depends on what you are looking to do with the .243 Win. caliber/round...

Good luck.
View Quote

With a fast twist barrel and heavy bullets the .243 will easily outshoot the 6.5s.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

With a slow twist barrel and heavy bullets the .243 will easily outshoot the 6.5s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

With a slow twist barrel and heavy bullets the .243 will easily outshoot the 6.5s.

The longest/heaviest pills seem to be the Berger 115gr. VLD's for the 6mm/.243 cal. w/ a .585 BC G1...If driven at a
high enough velocity I can see your point...but they usually need a 1:8 or faster twist to stabilize, but not that many
barrel makers offer a fast twist barrel in 6mm/.243 cal., especially for the AR platform.

Naturally, this project would need  the services of a funsmith anyway or at least till the DPMS G2 comes in a .243
Win. offering...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The longest/heaviest pills seem to be the Berger 115gr. VLD's for the 6mm/.243 cal. w/ a .585 BC G1...If driven at a
high enough velocity I can see your point...but they usually need a 1:8 or faster twist to stabilize, but not that many
barrel makers offer a fast twist barrel in 6mm/.243 cal., especially for the AR platform.

Naturally, this project would need  the services of a funsmith anyway or at least till the DPMS G2 comes in a .243
Win. offering...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

With a fast twist barrel and heavy bullets the .243 will easily outshoot the 6.5s.

Win. offering...

Barrel would definitely have to be custom made, but since no one is offering aftermarket barrels for the G2 anyway...

Plenty of companies make 6mm blanks in 1/8".  I've got a Krieger on my 6 BRX.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll probably just wait until parts become available.  I've always wanted a 243 in the "AR-10" platform, but I didn't want the weight.  The use would be for coyotes and maybe deer, so weight is a factor.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:16:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a DPMS 243 AR. Nice accurate rifle but heavy sucker. My DPMS Oracle in 308 is lighter. Sold it. Waiting on DPMS to sell a Gen II version. With DPMS moving next month out of St Cloud, Don't think we will see anything new until they get set up and running down south.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top