Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2014 4:27:02 AM EDT
Just bought a used DPMS LR308  7.62 x 51  from Cabela's in Grandville, MI .  I "thought" I was trading in my 18" bbl 6.8 spc (home built) for a new one, until later I found out it was actually used.  Now trying different makes of .308 ammo in it at 100 yds to see what the group is.  For those that have one or have friends that shot a LR308, what is the average good group on these rifles?   FWIW the rifle was not cleaned when I got it, and there was very little evidence of rub marks on bolt carrier, hammer and other parts.  They got a very cleaned up 6.8 spc2 rifle in trade, as I would not sell anyone a rifle that had not been cleaned right off the start.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:58:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just bought a used DPMS LR308  7.62 x 51  from Cabela's in Grandville, MI .  I "thought" I was trading in my 18" bbl 6.8 spc (home built) for a new one, until later I found out it was actually used.  Now trying different makes of .308 ammo in it at 100 yds to see what the group is.  For those that have one or have friends that shot a LR308, what is the average good group on these rifles?   FWIW the rifle was not cleaned when I got it, and there was very little evidence of rub marks on bolt carrier, hammer and other parts.  They got a very cleaned up 6.8 spc2 rifle in trade, as I would not sell anyone a rifle that had not been cleaned right off the start.

View Quote

I've seen plenty DPMS 308's shoot moa - sub moa.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is a 24" heavy bbl (boy is it heavy!) DPMS.  I have gotten .5 for multiple groups using handloads and Nosler 168's and 175's J-4's (Custom Comp), Varget and CCI Mag primers.  With 147gr FMJ handloads (mine has never had factory ammo run through it so your groups may vary) it opens to 1.5 - 2" @100 yards.  I've used mine to good effect at several 8,9, 1000 yards matches but the bolt guys beat me almost every time at the 1000 yard mark.

Enjoy, it is a fine weapon.

Bill in OR
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!  I have some reloading stuff left over from when I had a Saiga .308.  I converted it back to near original configuration and one time shot a 5 shot group with Remington 150 gr Core-Lok factory ammo.  It was toward evening, I put out a pizza hut box with a black dot on it at the 100 yard range and shot 5 times to see where it was with actual factory.  Thought I had missed the cardboard completely  (used a scope) but the lighting was not that great and could not see the holes.... until I walked up on it.  I've sold that rifle, and now have the DPMS, but have primers, powders, 150 gr bullets, some mix of other stuff bought locally, as well as once fired brass and resized brass for reloading.  I kept the reloading components .. just in case.  

Think I'll try some IMR 8208 XBR powder as have quite a bit of that on hand for my 6.8 SPC2 rifle (1:11.25" twist  5 groove rifling) and see how that works.  With this one at 1:10 twist it should do well with heavier bullets than 150, but each rifle is different and you pick the bullet the rifle "likes" and work around it.  Wish it was a mid length gas system instead of carbine though.  Less pressure on the bolt head with mid length.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#4]
DPMS barrels seem to like 165-173 gr bullets.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about the average DPMS. I purchased a 16" lr308 carbine, nothing special. I scoped it and easily shot a 2" 10 shot group at 100 yds. I am happy with that for a basic carbine...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Just an FYI, the GII I pulled out of the factory DPMS box at Cabela's recently was dirty as well. I'm certain they are test firing the guns before they leave the factory. Very heavily lubricated, brass on the bolt face, flash hider dirty on the inside...they aren't trying to hide anything, I suspect they want to make sure they work before kicking them out the door.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#7]
The 168 grain shines in the LR 308. http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-168-gr-BTHP-Match/
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:34:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 168 grain shines in the LR 308. http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-168-gr-BTHP-Match/
View Quote

I shoot a lot of the Georgia Arms "Precision" 168gr reloads, it's roughly equivalent to FGMM and Hornady out of my 16" HBAR DPMS out to 500yd at around half the price. (Well, it was half the price the last time I bought it )
It runs sub moa, and I can keep most hits on a 8" plate at 500yd.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Yesterday, shooting at the range I had the last 4 bullets of Winchester 150 gr Power Point and set up the target for the last shots.  Getting toward very late afternoon and the mosquitoes were coming out.  So, shot a 4 shot group rather than a 5 shot group.  Like I said, all I had left of the day, and waiting for the barrel to cool down a bit.  Results are not too bad.  It was hard to see the 3rd bullet hole on the left, but it's there.  Too bad that one ended up to the right of the group!

Looks like a keeper.  Now I have to try it on some hand loads and different bullet weights.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just an FYI, the GII I pulled out of the factory DPMS box at Cabela's recently was dirty as well. I'm certain they are test firing the guns before they leave the factory. Very heavily lubricated, brass on the bolt face, flash hider dirty on the inside...they aren't trying to hide anything, I suspect they want to make sure they work before kicking them out the door.
View Quote

Bob, at DPMS customer support told me yesterday (7-21-14) that they test fire those rifles with 5 bullets before they leave the factory to make sure that they function correctly.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone try handloading the 165 gr Hornady bullet with IMR 8208 XBR powder for the LR308?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top