Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 11:39:52 AM EDT
I am in the market for a .308 AR platform rifle and I would like to find out more about the Bushmaster .308 ORC rifle. Things such as accuracy, reliability are primary, cost, durability, magazine availability and after market parts availability would be secondary. I am leaning toward the 16" model but a longer barrel would be an option also. Chime in if you have one and how well you like it or despise it. Photos of 100 yard targets would be good also with maybe your favorite load.

I am looking for a semi auto hog / deer rifle in .308 and the ORC looked like a possible contender.

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the version I'd consider:  link

The Enhanced one (90990) has a much nicer handguard than the 90702 ORC.

The nicer handguard solves a problem if you want back-up sights.

They are the old Gen I DPMS .308 platform.  I'm guessing Bushmaster will switch to the new Gen II platform fairly soon.

I have a 90702 ORC.  I've done 7 things to it.
1.  Change to a MOE mid-length 2 piece snap-in handguard.
2.  Change to an SSA-E trigger
3.  Change to a chrome bolt carrier
4.  Got a .308 Raptor charging handle
5.  Added back-up sights
6.  Changed to a mil-spec diameter buffer tube and stock.
7.  Added one of Slash's heavy CAR buffers.

It is a 1-1.25 MOA rifle that functions every time.  I killed 6 point with it last year, using a 1-6x24 scope.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]

16in Barrel. I like that its chrome lined. I run a 1x4x Vortex PST on it. Likes the 168gn loads a lot. I added a J/P adj. gas block front sight. And upgraded the furnature. Std. Pmags Gen II work great. Also have tryed the Gen III also great. Nice .308 for the money.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
equivilent to the dpms gen 1 rifle. I believe there is an enhanced model as mentioned above that looked nice. Do it.  pmags work, ASC 308 mags are gtg too for the most economical.

I think these are going to disappear in their current form soon and will be replaced with a new bushmaster rifle based on the dpms gen 2 rifles. I'd go with the current production that you are looking at.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:04:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I also have the 90702 Bushmaster ORC.  Have had mine for about 2 years, bought it when it was difficult to find 308 receivers and parts.  Other wise I would have built one myself.  The original configuration did not fit my needs, but the 16 inch barrel with mid length gas system and chrome lined bore and chamber appealed to me over the DPMS offerings in the price range.  I have had a few Bushmaster barrels in the past and they were good to go.                                

When I first shot the stock rifle it functioned poorly with a lot of failures to extract.  I quickly learned that it needed a heavier buffer and a better extractor spring.  At that time I did some research and went to the Vltor RE10A5SR receiver extension, Armalite ar10 recoil spring and H3 AR15 carbine buffer recommended by the good people at DSG Arms.  The Vltor receiver extension is longer than the standard carbine RE that comes on the DPMS and Bushmaster collapsible stock models.  It is the same basic configuration as the Armalite AR10 carbines.  That cured the extraction issues before I could find a better spring.  I finally used the Fulton Armory extractor spring assy..  It now runs 100%.  My guess is BM and DPMS have solved a lot of those original problems by now.

I added a DPMS Quad rail as it was the only one available to match the new low receiver DPMS and Bushmaster had just started using.  There are many choices now. I also Installed a Magpul  ACS-L stock with the enhanced recoil pad, Magpul MBUS sight set, magpul moe trigger guard, Magpul moe grip, Primary weapon system FSC comp and a Rock River match trigger I had in my parts box.  I now have a total of about 1400 invested.

It shoots tight groups with a 3-9 Nikon and the PWS comp keeps the muzzle flat and the recoil very soft.  It is a real joy to shoot.

There are a lot more 308 AR choices available now, but I am still happy with this rifle.  The Enhanced model mentioned before looks like a nice set-up.  The MOE version might be a good choice as well depending on what you are looking for.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top