Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2014 7:52:16 PM EDT
Just finished assembling a 7.62x39 upper (and lower for it).  I am having issues with ejection.  I have NOT sent lead downrange with this.

Assembled entire rifle and put some dummy rounds in a magazine and charged it.  Charged fine, but would not extract.  I've had this issue in the past with dummy rounds, so I decided to continue test with live rounds.

With the rifle on safe I loaded 2 new brass Arsenal live rounds into a Franken mag.  The rifle charged fine again, and the rifle WOULD extract over and over again.  The rifle would not eject the extracted rounds.  It is like they were attached to the extractor, I had to pull them off.

The bolt and bolt carrier appear to completely go into battery smoothly.

I am using a Colt bolt carrier (6940), enhanced firing pin (7.62x39 modified, not tested) and probably the last AR15 performance superbolt (7.62x39) sold.

What is wrong?  Or is this normal for a 7.62x39 AR when not live fired?  This is the first 7.62x39 I have built, but not the first AR I have built.  I am not an expert by any means.  I am not opposed to taking it to a pro if needed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#1]
So just to be clear...

It will extract but won't eject when being cycled by hand.

If you pull your bolt out, and place a case head into a straight and flush position under the extractor, does the ejector spring not tip the round away? Does your rim get stuck onto the bolt face when you check this?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:39:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So just to be clear...

It will extract but won't eject when being cycled by hand.

If you pull your bolt out, and place a case head into a straight and flush position under the extractor, does the ejector spring not tip the round away? Does your rim get stuck onto the bolt face when you check this?
View Quote

Does not appear to be.  It does tilt out.  Just does not eject the round when hand cycled.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h129/Steamedliver/06910CFC-525A-4661-8764-1DAAD44E9012.jpg
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Does your extractor spring have one of those stupid "O" rings? If it does get rid of it. I have yet to have a bolt with one of those that doesn't cause all sorts of issues.

Next check the spring pressure on your ejector. If it's weak it won't eject properly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does your extractor spring have one of those stupid "O" rings? If it does get rid of it. I have yet to have a bolt with one of those that doesn't cause all sorts of issues.

Next check the spring pressure on your ejector. If it's weak it won't eject properly.
View Quote

I do appreciate the help.

I don't know how to assess the spring pressure on the ejector.   Its a brand new bolt from AR15 performance.  I suppose even new ones can have an issue and it would be trivial to replace the spring.  I will check to see if it has an O ring at the same time.

I also think that I will order a Cason bolt as well.  Not just to remedy this issue (I will get this bolt to work), but to have a spare on hand.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h129/Steamedliver/839A489B-0D22-4ED0-B055-CD4E3865B53A.jpg
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright.  So it did have one of those "o" rings.  I took it out and now it doesn't work at all.  I think I'll replace the extractor spring.  But what spring would be best for this bolt?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have another BCG just take it from that and try it in the x39 bolt to see if that fixes the problem. Those springs are universal so a 5.56 will work. The ejector is in the bolt face opposite the extractor so try to depress it or push it in to make sure you have sufficient pressure. It should be fairly hard to depress.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#7]
My guess is that either your bolt face or extractor is just slightly off, or your ejector isn't to print.
When you examine it close, is the detail smooth or do the parts have sharp edges or burrs?

If you have another bolt, try swapping out those parts; ejector, ejector spring, extractor and extractor springs. Then see if it can tip the round clear from starting flush against the bolt face.
It really should be able to clear a loaded, dummy, or empty case.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My guess is that either your bolt face or extractor is just slightly off, or your ejector isn't to print.
When you examine it close, is the detail smooth or do the parts have sharp edges or burrs?

If you have another bolt, try swapping out those parts; ejector, ejector spring, extractor and extractor springs. Then see if it can tip the round clear from starting flush against the bolt face.
View Quote

I don't have another bolt that I want to sacrifice.   So I ordered a bolt kit from midway.   I also bought another bolt from Cason,  this bolt wasn't cheap either.  It's a superbolt from ar15 performance.  I've had it for awhile, waiting for all the parts.   I'll get it working.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#9]
try these http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-extractor-ejector?search=ejector%20spring  read about never seen anyone use the 5 coil spring though
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 7.62x39 upper that had this exact problem. Turned out to be the corners of the extractor were so sharp they dug into the rim of the cartridge case and wedged in. The fix was four or five swipes of an India stone on the extractor inside corners and round them very slightly. No problems since.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got a Cason bolt yesterday and it works great with hand cycling.  It does not extract the dummy round either.  Wondering if I'm doing something wrong there?

The dummy rounds work as advertised in my AK.

I have to closely examine the bolts next to one another today to see if I visually see and differences.

EDIT:  I will closely examine for sharp points.  I bought some Wolf extra strength extractor springs, those were 3 for $10.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am not having a problem but would like to know how to check the ejector spring pressure.
I have 3 Bravo Company up grades with the  those stupid "O" rings that work great.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:04:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I got a Cason bolt yesterday and it works great with hand cycling.  It does not extract the dummy round either.  Wondering if I'm doing something wrong there?

I have to closely examine the bolts next to one another today to see if I visually see and differences.

EDIT:  I will closely examine for sharp points.  I bought some Wolf extra strength extractor springs, those were 3 for $10.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get this problem worked out?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Interest in knowing if you got this all worked out too.

There are a lot of 7.62x39 bolts that are using 5.56 extractors and that may have been your issue from the start. The 7.62x39 bolts I have gotten in that had extraction issues had 5.56 extractors. One company sent me a 7.62x39 bolt a couple of years ago with 5.56 extractors and they had ground the metal and left it bare, took the finish right off. I contacted them and asked what's up, got a lame excuse and sent the bolt back.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the cason bolt and have had 0 issues with extracting. I no they make their own extractor designed for this round. Have you tried cycling real ammo yet?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#16]
When cycling rounds through an upper by hand you need to vigorously work the action to check for proper extraction and ejection.   Before I get concerned about problems with  proper extraction and ejection, I run about 100 rounds of factory ammo through the gun to make sure it operates properly.  A lot of problems will resolve themselves in the firing of 100 rounds. If you have extraction and ejection problems after test firing, then start replacing parts, not before.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a 7.62x39 upper that had this exact problem. Turned out to be the corners of the extractor were so sharp they dug into the rim of the cartridge case and wedged in. The fix was four or five swipes of an India stone on the extractor inside corners and round them very slightly. No problems since.
View Quote

I contacted AR15 performance and this is exactly what they told me.  They instructed me on the proper method to fix this issue (45 degrees with a stone while touching both points and shave off 1/32 inch).

I have not done it yet, but will this weekend.  I wanted to get their professional opinion prior to mucking it up.  I need to test the sharp (unmodified) extractors with steel case ammo before I put the stone to them.

The Cason bolts have no issue with the hand cycling (of real ammo).

I have not shot real ammo yet.  Getting to range has been an issue, and its 115 outside.  I have a time set aside in the next couple of weeks to do so, and I am so so looking forward to it.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top