Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/10/2014 4:04:48 PM EDT
Read an article about them on the plane last week and have been reading about them. I see they run about $1450-$1550 which is about 25% below MSRP haha. Anyone have any issues or regrets getting one?

Seems like the newer ones have over come the Magpul pmag Gen2-Gen3 issue.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one and I absolutely love it. I installed an SSAE trigger and swapped the stock and grip for an str snf moe plus. very accurate rifle and has not malfunctioned yet, even shooting wolf, suppressed with my SDN6 attached. the adjustable gas system is excellent. I believe it is lighter then the Sig as well. CHF barrel will last a very long time. I am extremely pleased with it, and am wanting its little brother now, the sr556.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:41:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I would consider buying an upper for my existing SR25 angle cut lowers (if they sold uppers).
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:19:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I also have one. Great rifle once the trigger issue is resolved either by replacement or polishing. The other thing to be aware of is that the factory installed Sampson sights are not always real tight tending to make some believe that the gun cannot be zeroed. I considered the Ruger and the Sig 716, but went with the Ruger due to lighter weight.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#4]
handled one today at my LGS, it was several hundred more than online, but I was surprised by the lack of weight.

The grip seems like an Ergo grip which is fine with me, the stock is junk and I would swap that out for sure.  

I will probably start shopping to pick one up.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#5]
How does the ruger stack up against the s&w m&p10?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I've noted that the M&P10 is about 1 pound less than the SR-762. And the Ruger is about 2 - 3 hundred more (although the Ruger comes with 3 mags a carrying case, rails, and comes with flip up BUIS.)

The M&P is supposed to be about a 1 MOA shooter, the SR-762?  

The Ruger definitely looks cooler.  

Decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've noted that the M&P10 is about 1 pound less than the SR-762. And the Ruger is about 2 - 3 hundred more (although the Ruger comes with 3 mags a carrying case, rails, and comes with flip up BUIS.)

Decisions, decisions.
View Quote

and one is a piston vs DI....

Love my SR556.  2500 flawless rounds, patiently waiting to free up some funds for a 762..
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Love my SR556.  2500 flawless rounds, patiently waiting to free up some funds for a 762..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decisions, decisions.

Yup that is a HUGE difference and explains the cost variance out of the gate.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Put a deposit down on one this morning!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#11]
$1441 into the safe. When you can shut the gas system off and shoot single shot suppressed with an M&P I'll buy one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
$1441 into the safe. When you can shut the gas system off and shoot single shot suppressed with an M&P I'll buy one.
View Quote

I can do that with my MP10.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure he's referring to a factory option. Not aftermarket.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#14]
If I were going to buy a lower priced 7.62 I'd buy a 716.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#15]
The MP10's I've fondled on the rack at lgs all have indentations on the safety stops all the way through the finish. Are ya'll having issues with the safeties banging and norging the safety stops?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:17:15 AM EDT
[#16]
do not waste your money buy a sig or Mega MATEN and build It ground up

l would not touch M&P, Ruger, or DMPS they have lot of QC issues and bad customer service

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

l would not touch M&P, Ruger, or DMPS they have lot of QC issues and bad customer service

View Quote

This cannot be substantiated based upon most everything that I have seen.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, to say to buy xxx is one thing, to say Ruger or S&W (no idea about DPMS) have bad customer service is factually incorrect.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

ruger has some of the best customer I've ever been involved with........
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought one of the early rifles, that shipped with Gen 2 P-Mags. It ran fine...with Gen 2 P-Mags. It would not feed with Gen 3 P-mags. It went back to Ruger (on their dime) and they replaced the upper receiver and the bolt carrier group. It still had the same lower. Afterward, it would run with either Gen 2 or Gen-3 P-Mags, but I couldn't zero the BUIS. I would still be way low with the front sight post bottomed out.

The magazine issue with the older rifles was that the cut for the mag catch was just slightly too low. Whatever Ruger did with the replacement upper to address this made the POI low.

The rifle went back again (on their dime) and they replaced it with a current production rifle that runs great with both Gen 2 and Gen 3 P-Mags and has no POA/POI issues.

I think that's superb customer service.

Rosco
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been my experience as well with every Ruger I have.  Ruger has a solid reputation for amazing customer service.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

how odd that I see guys at the range just banging away with their dpms , rock river , smith and wesson ,and armalite rifles in ignorant bliss that their rifles suck and wont run . I havent had the chance to see a ruger in action yet .  Im pretty sure . a dpms genII is in my future after a nice guy let me shoot a 20 round mag through his.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I bought one of the early rifles, that shipped with Gen 2 P-Mags. It ran fine...with Gen 2 P-Mags. It would not feed with Gen 3 P-mags. It went back to Ruger (on their dime) and they replaced the upper receiver and the bolt carrier group. It still had the same lower. Afterward, it would run with either Gen 2 or Gen-3 P-Mags, but I couldn't zero the BUIS. I would still be way low with the front sight post bottomed out.

The magazine issue with the older rifles was that the cut for the mag catch was just slightly too low. Whatever Ruger did with the replacement upper to address this made the POI low.

The rifle went back again (on their dime) and they replaced it with a current production rifle that runs great with both Gen 2 and Gen 3 P-Mags and has no POA/POI issues.

Rosco
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rosco

They do have great customer service and get back with you very quickly.  Mine has eaten everything I have fed it thus far.  My only issue was the buis shooting approximately 4 inches low with the front sight post adjusted all the way down.  Ruger claimed I could ship the entire rifle back to them however their tolerances were 2 inches at 50 yards (I find BS).  In irritation I took a Dremel to the sight and fixed the issue however they were willing to address it.  Overall great rifle and ruger's reply below....

Response:
Our tolerance is 2" at 50yds. If the problem persists we recommend you send the complete firearm in for evaluation. Please contact us at 603-865-2442 to have an RMA number issued. Have your serial number handy when calling.Thank you for your email.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol:  (603) 865-2442
Pistols:  (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information:  (603) 865-2424

Please note:  This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.  Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm a huge Ruger revolver fan, I've not tried their AR's though.  I can say they have some of the best customer service in the business and wouldn't be afraid to buy anything Ruger.  I have fondled the M&P10 and it was a very, very nice 7.62 AR.  Was well made and I was amazed by the weight, it didn't feel any heavier than my AR15's.  We have a M&P15 and it has performed flawlessly along with having very impressive accuracy so I know they know how to build an excellent AR.  I love Ruger's but I think I'll probably go with the M&P10 when I get ready to buy a 7.62 AR.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I also bought one of the early problem SR762s.  Ruger fixed it pretty quickly by replacing the upper receiver and just the bolt.  They also covered shipping both ways.  I took it to the range and it now works with every magazine I tried.  Mine appeared to be zeroed at the factory, since the sights were right on at 50 yards, and there does not appear to have been excessive adjustments to the sights.  The rear was pretty much centered and the front looks like it has maybe three or four clicks of elevation on it.

Why anyone would shoot a rifle without ensuring the sights are secure is beyond me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#26]
The newest SR-762s have a different upper forging entirely.  The other thread has a bunch of information, but basically I think they changed some geometry in the feeding/chamber area to improve performance with Gen3 PMAGs and DPMS mags.  I haven't shot mine yet (moving sucks!) but reports are that the latest edition SR-762s are lock solid.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I never fired the early ones, but got to fire one last week at the range. The owner said he bought it in June and all his paperwork lead him to think it was built in March 2014. He had a whole variety of mags, and they all worked. I got to dump 20 rounds and it ran great.

I am excited to get mine even more now.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top