Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/6/2014 2:35:00 PM EDT
I'm starting a new build.  I ordered the newly released upper / lower combo from Aero Precision USA for $306.  I understand that they've recently gone up in price, so perhaps I got an introductory price.
Aero Precision 308 Combo

Which I understand is in the DPMS pattern  A crazy price for a matched set if you ask me.  My Aero AR-15 is a work of art, so I hope the AR-10 is the same.  Aero Precision USA is in the process of releasing an entire line of parts needed to build the .308, a Buffer is already out, as are the barrels and I understand soon to be LPK, as well as other 18" barrels, some in naked stainless steel.  I will probably look at their parts as they make good stuff, and tend to be at or below industry pricing for the various items needed.

I will probably stick with the Hypertouch Hiperfire trigger that I really LOVE in my AR-15.  Its really a nice, well built trigger.  For those of you who have one you know what I mean.

Next challenge for me is to decide what barrel, and where to find a barrel.  I've been considering this barrel below.  While Areo Precision will release its own barrels, I doubt they will have on in 20" and I want Rifle length gas system.

Fulton Armory

What do you guys think of the barrel above, and is the twist rate something that is a good compromise?
They also sell BCG's and other junk for the DPMS pattern .308  

The purpose of the rifle build is this.  

1. Have a similar AR pattern Rifle, but in a larger caliber that I could use to take larger game if needed.
2. Shoot to longer range than the 5.56 cartridge with good terminal energy.
3. Have Fun!

OK, well I've got money in the upper and lower, but nothing else.   I don't have an unlimited budget, but I'm not on a timeline either. I could wait and save up for a part if its worth a few extra $$  Am I making a huge mistake?  Tell me what you learned and what I need to know. I'll be all over this forum as I read, and work on my new build, but I'm asking the people who have done this before me, what lessons have you learned, and what would you do over or differently?   Socks, Handguards... anything is helpful.

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you want a heavy barrel? I am trying to keep my Aero Precision 308 light. I am looking at the  Blackhole Weaponry or Ranier barrels, but will probably order the Aero Precision barrel because the 223 Wylde I have shoots bug holes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I highly recommend a 18" barrel you do gain much from a 20"  and a 18" is as accurate as any. I have a 20" on mine and wish I had done a 18".
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#3]
My Aero Stuff arrived today. Pretty cool, my serial number was under 400.  First impressions from an my AR-15 build is that the upper and lower are a LOT more substantial.  The 308 parts seem to be pretty big compared to the 5.56,  In my initial purchase I got the M5 Combo, the Buffer Tube, Buffer and spring, and charging handle all from Aero.   I'm torn on a LPK, because you end up replacing about 1/2 of it anyway with upgrades.  For example I want another Hipertouch trigger, and will probably go with a Magpul grip, and once you pull the fire control group and grip out of an LPK, what is the point?  All that remains are a few pins, the magazine catch, safety selector and bolt release.   And, Aero lowers seem to be slightly fat, so they make their own Takedown pins which they claim are slightly longer than the standard DPMS pattern lower.

Where is the best place to part our a LPK, and s\till get value?

Also who has the best price on the AR-10 Magpul PRS stock?   And, am I crazy for wanting that stock or should I consider something else?

Also taking opinions on Fulton Armory Chrome Bolt, and their 20" Criterion barrel I mentioned before.

Lastly, what kind of low profile, light weight hand guards are cool?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Aero Stuff arrived today. Pretty cool, my serial number was under 400.  First impressions from an my AR-15 build is that the upper and lower are a LOT more substantial.  The 308 parts seem to be pretty big compared to the 5.56,  In my initial purchase I got the M5 Combo, the Buffer Tube, Buffer and spring, and charging handle all from Aero.   I'm torn on a LPK, because you end up replacing about 1/2 of it anyway with upgrades.  For example I want another Hipertouch trigger, and will probably go with a Magpul grip, and once you pull the fire control group and grip out of an LPK, what is the point?  All that remains are a few pins, the magazine catch, safety selector and bolt release.   And, Aero lowers seem to be slightly fat, so they make their own Takedown pins which they claim are slightly longer than the standard DPMS pattern lower.

Also who has the best price on the AR-10 Magpul PRS stock?   And, am I crazy for wanting that stock or should I consider something else?

Also taking opinions on Fulton Armory Chrome Bolt, and their 20" Criterion barrel I mentioned before.

View Quote

I pieced together my DPMS lpk from Midway USA since I also didn't want the FCG out of the complete kit. You save about $30 IIRC over buying the kit with the FCG. As for the pins, the rear takedown pin works fine out the DPMS kit. The front pivot pin, however, isn't long enough to protrude out like it's supposed to. But it does still function fine without it.
I put the 12" Troy 308 Alpha rail on mine. It's super light and what I'd consider low profile. Here's a quick shot. I'm waiting on my trigger, scope, bipod, and charging handle to come in tomorrow.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope your Aero combo works but advise not buying just the lower and mating up to a DPMS upper. I purchased just the AR10 lower to complete my pistol build using a KAK 10.5 in barrel complete upper. They use DPMS upper. Bolt will not go forward all the way after 1st round is shot. Since I have a DPMS Oracle 308, I swapped the complete lowers. When I put my oracle lower on my KAK upper, fires just fine with zero issues. When I put the complete lower with the Aero lower onto the oracle upper, jams after the 1st round just like with the KAK upper. Have used both pmags and steel mags. still jams. Seems the angle of the mag well isnt the same as the DPMS. Working with aero for a solution. Maybe the upper matches better to there lower. Just my experience with there lower.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I too pieced my LPK together with individual parts from Midway since I was using a Geiselle trigger and BADASS safety.  Take a look at Mega's stainless nitrided barrels, I got one from Tier One here on the board for $285 shipped.  It is supposed to be about the same accuracy as Rainier Match barrels, I am very pleased with the groups I have gotten so far.  I like that its nitrided so it should last longer than chrome lining yet still retains the accuracy of stainless barrels.

One of the first 3 shot groups at 100 yards
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hope your Aero combo works but advise not buying just the lower and mating up to a DPMS upper. I purchased just the AR10 lower to complete my pistol build using a KAK 10.5 in barrel complete upper. They use DPMS upper. Bolt will not go forward all the way after 1st round is shot. Since I have a DPMS Oracle 308, I swapped the complete lowers. When I put my oracle lower on my KAK upper, fires just fine with zero issues. When I put the complete lower with the Aero lower onto the oracle upper, jams after the 1st round just like with the KAK upper. Have used both pmags and steel mags. still jams. Seems the angle of the mag well isnt the same as the DPMS. Working with aero for a solution. Maybe the upper matches better to there lower. Just my experience with there lower.
View Quote

I have the matched Aero M5 upper and lower. I also got the charging handle, bugger tube, spring and buffer in my first shipment.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I pieced together my DPMS lpk from Midway USA since I also didn't want the FCG out of the complete kit. You save about $30 IIRC over buying the kit with the FCG. As for the pins, the rear takedown pin works fine out the DPMS kit. The front pivot pin, however, isn't long enough to protrude out like it's supposed to. But it does still function fine without it.
I put the 12" Troy 308 Alpha rail on mine. It's super light and what I'd consider low profile. Here's a quick shot. I'm waiting on my trigger, scope, bipod, and charging handle to come in tomorrow.
http://i.imgur.com/ajyIDFs.jpg?2
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks great!  What length is your barrel?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

18" Black Hole Weaponry
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#10]
So I installed my LPK, and attempted to install the Magpul PRS that I ordered from Amazon.  Looks like the guys sent me the AR-15 version, instead of the AR-10 version I ordered, stuff came OEM no box so I could not verify. The Charging handle impacts the check weld.  URGH, now I have to return ship and wait for a replacement.

OH, and does anyone have a good solution for the very short Magazine Release bolt?  I swear I only get about 2 turns on the button for thread purchase, or the button itself will literally go flush and become disfunctional.  Is there a longer through bolt on a magazine release I can find somewhere?  Seems like a poor design.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Can't comment on the stock, BUT my understanding is that the mag release is a known issue. Aero has said that it's fine, just don't thread the mag release button on all the way as you would on an AR-15. There's a thread a few pages down that has a few pictures of what the finished product looks like. Can't verify, but I've seen several people mention that the getting the Armalite threaded portion solves the issue to some extent/

Haven't done it myself, but I'm planning on doing an Aero build once they release the M5E1 uppers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Haven't done it myself, but I'm planning on doing an Aero build once they release the M5E1 uppers.
View Quote

Have you seen any of those in a prototype?  Are the pictures, links? I got the M5 Combo set from Aero, complete matched set for $306.  The upper was assembled already with the Forward Assist and the Ejection Port Cover.  However, as I finally installed the LPK today, I ran into the issue with the Magazine Catch Bolt length, but I was actually impressed with the Fire Control Group. I'm planning to actually upgrade that, but for now I figured I'd install it.  I'm a big fan of their M4E1 upper / handgaurd setup. I think its really a durable upper. I built a COP upper for my AR-15 last year, and its pretty awesome.   My COP upper mated to my lower like a glove, like swiss watch tolerances.  But my M5 upper and lower are not as tight, I'm kind of disappointing in that. There seems to be some slop there, but then again Its not all assembled yet so maybe that will go away once I add a barrel, and BCG to the equitation. If they have a better Upper, maybe I'll box up my current upper and wait on the next gen before completing my build.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#13]
That mag release sucks, I would  think Aero would include a solution for that!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can't comment on the stock, BUT my understanding is that the mag release is a known issue. Aero has said that it's fine, just don't thread the mag release button on all the way as you would on an AR-15. There's a thread a few pages down that has a few pictures of what the finished product looks like. Can't verify, but I've seen several people mention that the getting the Armalite threaded portion solves the issue to some extent/

View Quote

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/magazine-parts/magazine-releases/ar-15-m16-laser-etched-magazine-release-prod59421.aspx?psize=96

I used these on three of my .308 lowers and they all leave plenty of button exposed from the lower.

One of the ones I'm selling local:

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Have you seen any of those in a prototype?  Are the pictures, links? I got the M5 Combo set from Aero, complete matched set for $306.  The upper was assembled already with the Forward Assist and the Ejection Port Cover.  However, as I finally installed the LPK today, I ran into the issue with the Magazine Catch Bolt length, but I was actually impressed with the Fire Control Group. I'm planning to actually upgrade that, but for now I figured I'd install it.  I'm a big fan of their M4E1 upper / handgaurd setup. I think its really a durable upper. I built a COP upper for my AR-15 last year, and its pretty awesome.   My COP upper mated to my lower like a glove, like swiss watch tolerances.  But my M5 upper and lower are not as tight, I'm kind of disappointing in that. There seems to be some slop there, but then again Its not all assembled yet so maybe that will go away once I add a barrel, and BCG to the equitation. If they have a better Upper, maybe I'll box up my current upper and wait on the next gen before completing my build.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw an ad for it, didn't find it on Aero's site, but through a google search for "aero m5e1" found the posting on their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aero-Precision-Inc/113400445350530?rf=158141070884287

Scroll down a bit on the right, no release information that I saw but a teaser photo. Always wanted to do one in for the M4E1 & never had the excuse. The design would seem to pretty damn solid.

Both the builds I've done have either started out with a small amount of upper-lower 'slop',or have developed some after some pretty minimal use. Only current exception is the one that's not finished yet off of a MEGA forged set. Bugs the inner perfectionist, but

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I purchase one as welll and they gave a a military discount 272.00 shipped both upper and lower. I will be putting a 18" fluted and use the TA 31 Acog
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's my Aero build.

The Armalite mag catch only helped out a little bit so I wouldn't waste your money. Hopefully Aero releases an even longer one like they did with their pivot pin.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice build and thanks for the info on the Armalite mag catch. I was going to make that purchase for my M5 Build. Ill just pickup an extended button and hopefully that will help.

What barrel are you using? I bought the 18" Black Hole Weaponary 1 in 11 offering. I've had good luck so far with BHW on one of my AR's.

Quoted:
Here's my Aero build.
http://thenativenotion.com/308build.jpg

The Armalite mag catch only helped out a little bit so I wouldn't waste your money. Hopefully Aero releases an even longer one like they did with their pivot pin.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nice build and thanks for the info on the Armalite mag catch. I was going to make that purchase for my M5 Build. Ill just pickup an extended button and hopefully that will help.

What barrel are you using? I bought the 18" Black Hole Weaponary 1 in 11 offering. I've had good luck so far with BHW on one of my AR's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's my Aero build.

I was pretty disappointed that the armalite was still too short. Only about .2" longer than the dpms mag catch and hardly made a difference.

I've got the 18" Rainier match barrel in 1/10 on this one. Love it so far! I've heard great things about BHW. A buddy of mine has one of their barrels and loves it!

Did you have any issues with the pivot pin detent spring on your lower? I had to cut mine down for the detent to fit all the way in.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice looking builds, Aero might be the ticket for me. Anyone use the BCG from Redbarn? The price sure is nice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#21]
My combo is still sitting in their boxes. And I've held off buying the lower parts kit.  Hoping Aero changes some things  by the time I'm ready to buy.

Quoted:

I was pretty disappointed that the armalite was still too short. Only about .2" longer than the dpms mag catch and hardly made a difference.

I've got the 18" Rainier match barrel in 1/10 on this one. Love it so far! I've heard great things about BHW. A buddy of mine has one of their barrels and loves it!

Did you have any issues with the pivot pin detent spring on your lower? I had to cut mine down for the detent to fit all the way in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's my Aero build.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:20:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here's my Aero build.

View Quote

What handguard system are you using?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:00:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's my Aero build.

It's a Ranier Switch (made by Fortis). The Fortis Switch is the same but the front is straight vertical instead of angled.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I got an Armalite Magazine Catch system from DSG arms, along with the Seekins Precision Magazine release button.  I highly recommend this as an upgrade to any LPK out there.  It solved the problem.

https://dsgarms.com/armea1108
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone else know what future parts Aero Precision has yet to release in their .308 family?  I've written to them, and honestly they never answer my emails.  I love the stuff, think they make pretty good product for the price.. but they are about as unresponsive as you can get by email. If you need something, you have to call them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got an Armalite Magazine Catch system from DSG arms, along with the Seekins Precision Magazine release button.  I highly recommend this as an upgrade to any LPK out there.  It solved the problem.

https://dsgarms.com/armea1108
View Quote

Pics?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#27]
In order for me to get the Pivot Pin sprint and detente to install properly I had to take a drill bit, and by hand install that into the hole and chase milling debris out of the cavity. A bunch of crap came out, I'm not sure if it was millings or somethng like was used to keep the hole clear from the anodizing process.   I reported this as an issue to AeroPrecision via their support email.  Seems like I was not the only one to experience this issue.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's my Aero build.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top