BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/24/2014 6:39:25 AM EDT
Looking for a 7.62 platform mid/upper price range rifle but haven't followed what is currently is the best quality/accuracy/warranty or other factors.
2500 to 3500 price range preferably. Lightly used OK if warranty transfers.
Accuracy would be more favored than carry ability.
Is the AR10 still a viable option compared to the new stuff ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say KAC if you can find one. LMT is a great option but a tad heavy. Noveske is no longer made. Not a huge fan of LaRue stuff.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Since you indicated weight was a lower priority I would suggest LMT MWS w/ barrel change capability.  Can probably find a used one for around $2200 and buy an extra factory stainless barrel in 308, or 6.5 Creedmoor, or 260 Rem.

I cut my 16" CL to 14.5", permed a 51T brake, and had a 20" Noveske 6.5 Creedmoor converted for the MWS.  Also have a Geissele Service trigger.  First 5 shots with factory Hornady ammo were 0.80".

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I vote for the MWS as well if you are in that price range.  You can pick them up barely used for < $2500 and you'll have some left to put glass and ammo on/in it.  I had an OBR on order for over a year, then ended up buying the slick side MWS and haven't looked back.  The OBR order finally came up in Feb, but I cancelled it  and am sticking with the LMT.

Larue makes one hell of a rifle, but so does LMT and for a cheaper price.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Based on your criteria, I don't think you could beat the MWS.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Shop arround and find a Dealer who's willing to deal. I've seen prices vary greatly on the LMT stuff from Arround MSRP to way over MSRP nearing what I could have purchased a Knights ECC for.  I'm happy with my LMT MWS LM8 Slick side!  Here is mine the day I brought her home!

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
This one from Rainier was just released today.  Looks like it's on the lighter side at 8 lbs.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 3:51:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 4:15:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I would get a LaRue if you can find one.  Second choice would be Knights followed by LMT.

I have an LMT, but I barreled it which was a chore, and it's a heavy pig.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 4:35:10 AM EDT
[#9]
LaRue PredatAR
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 6:21:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

These 5/29/2014 proof-groups are from outgoing PredatARs, our lightest 308.

LaRue barrels, made in-house ...

" LaRue Deep Hole Drilling "

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/AUSTINWFT/LT%20Post/photo_zpsa4537cc2.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking for a 7.62 platform mid/upper price range rifle but haven't followed what is currently is the best quality/accuracy/warranty or other factors.

Thanks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/AUSTINWFT/LT%20Post/photo_zpsa4537cc2.jpg

I'll take the .231 barreled upper.  Thanks

ETA: What ammo do you use to proof-group?  Perhaps you should do a 5 shot to be consistent with KAC
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Knights is not on my radar, what they do is their business.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

ETA: What ammo do you use to proof-group?  Perhaps you should do a 5 shot to be consistent with KAC

Knights is not on my radar, what they do is their business.

Lol. One could say what they do is not only there business but the DoD's as well.

Op, there are alot of great large frame AR's out there kac, lmt, and JP, all make outstanding products, hell even dpms makes a great rifle geared towards accuracy with their 260 with bull barrel. A dpms with aftermarket trigger and topped with a nightforce is a pretty awesome value considered what some rifles go for.  Just all depends on what you want.

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#14]
< This isn't GD - Warning sent - F >
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#15]
God damn, some of you guys are bitter about Larue.

I've got to agree with jasonusvi, though, the MWS seems to fit the OP's desires. It's my personal favorite .308 AR, I really need to drop the cash for one of my own.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I believe some LaRue rifles are shipping within days now. But only certain barrel lengths... maybe 16" Call them up
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#17]
If price is of no concern I would buy in this order:

SR25 ECC/ACC
LaRue Predatar
MWS
Build my own
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

You mean 5 shot groups like this from Larue.....??  I'll gladly take your Knights 5 shot challenge and raise you 10 5 shot Larue groups

Aaaannnnnd one more showing the repeatability of those junker Larue scope mounts.  2 3 shot groups and one 5 shit group removing and replacing the Larue scope mount on the Larue rifle EVERY SHOT...OP if quality and precision accuracy are the most important to you, it would be tough to do better than Larue......

ETA: that's .497 for 10, 5 shot groups

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#19]
If accuracy is high on your list I would strongly consider Larue OBR or JP Precision LRP 07.  Both are tack drivers.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Impressive !
I'm studying this weapon.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Any offering from LaRue hands down the best.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Look close .. Federal Gold Medal Match 175 gr.

ETA - Knights is not on my radar, what they do is their business.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I am wondering, are the OBR and tOBR barrels just as accurate as well? Im thinking about wither a tOBR or a tAR.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:13:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I am wondering, are the OBR and tOBR barrels just as accurate as well? Im thinking about wither a tOBR or a tAR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

The OBR and tOBR barrels are the same heavy target barrel.  The tAR has a thin profile barrel, however; the tAR is incredibly accurate as well as shown in Larues test target post above. All things Larue trump....well......all things

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:50:20 AM EDT
[#24]
You won't find a KAC gun for your price range.

Get an LMT but have the bbl dimpled to shave weight
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:51:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would say KAC if you can find one. LMT is a great option but a tad heavy. Noveske is no longer made. Not a huge fan of LaRue stuff.
View Quote

Basically pretty much what I would say.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 3:41:22 AM EDT
[#26]
LaRue is the direction I went
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#27]
My LaRue OBR shoots rings around my LMT MWS. The LMT came from the factory with an incorrectly torqued barrel and shot shotgun groups. Once torqued properly and the trigger replaced with a Geissele SSA-E it was just under a 1 moa shooter. On bad days my 18" OBR shoots 0.7 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups and comes with a superb Geissele trigger and Surefire muzzle break..
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I have both a 16" KAC SR25 and an 18" Larue OBR and have been extrememly pleased with the performance from both of them in the roles I have each set up for. Some may know how much of a fan I am of KAC gear and that's due to the fact that they're in my neck of the woods and I've had the chance to get to know the guys from KAC so, I consider them friends.

I also know that Mark puts out a phenominal product and you can't go wrong when choosing to run his gear. Bottom line, it's a toss up IMO cause both my rifles shoot just as good. This is my personal opinion so, take it for what it's worth.

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

He had a point.  The groups are great but 5 rds is pretty much industry standard for accuracy testing as it mirrors what most of the magazines do.  The accuracy snobs insist on ten which basically shows if a barrel has stress but obviously thats another standard like the three rounds here. Three rounds dont give a barrel time to heat up so they are they are pretty consistent.

Great three round groups anyway.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 6:05:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#31]
LaRue.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 6:57:56 AM EDT
[#32]
LaRue can use 3 shot groups all they want. I have a tOBR 7.62, 14.5" and that rifle is extremely accurate. Their barrels are amazing!

Here are 3 different 3 shot groups using my tOBR @ 100 yds.

Now, don't say Noveske is not in the 7.62 game, they are, but you'd have to build one. I did using a Noveske 7.62, 16" barrel, 1:10 twist, an Armalite upper/lower receiver set and a Wilson Combat TRIM rail (Armalite pattern)

OP, for what you would like to spend, I think if you want to build, you certainly can build a Noveske 7.62 rifle. If you want to buy, I would say LaRue PredatOBR would be a wise choice. KAC rifles are great, I have an SR-25 EC, but you are looking at anywhere from $4K - $5K.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
He had a point.  The groups are great but 5 rds is pretty much industry standard for accuracy testing as it mirrors what most of the magazines do.  The accuracy snobs insist on ten which basically shows if a barrel has stress but obviously thats another standard like the three rounds here. Three rounds dont give a barrel time to heat up so they are they are pretty consistent.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Larue did at one time use 5 shot groups for their test targets I have a rifle with a 5 round test target of .5 something from 2012, then came the great everything gun related shortage of OSAMAS second term and I am sure the scarcity of ammunition had a bearing on the start of 3 round test targets.  The accuracy of Larue rifles now, is no different than it was at that time.  It is a proven standard that Larue rifles are extremely accurate.  3 round groups may not indicate much for Joe blows bangsticks or inexperienced load development but for a proven EXTREME accuracy rifle builder it shows, hey look heres another one, you have a shooter.

3 round, 5 round, 10 round, at what point do you just call it beating a dead horse? If you take time to really think about it, each time you step up in number of rounds fired into a group you impart an exponential number of variables to the group.  Everything becomes more of a factor, wind temperature, ammunition consistency, shooter fatigue, mirage etc.  Most of the things that cause change on the size of a group have nothing to do with the accuracy of a rifle.  If you took a proven benchrest 6ppc that shoots in the 0s and an average of 10 3 round, 10 5 round and 10 10 round groups the average will always stair step up, not solely because of the accuracy of the rifle but because of external factors.  This means of proving a rifles accuracy by firing as many shots into a single hole as possible is a dis-justice to the rifle it simply does not work that way. Just like the way of thinking where a 1" group at 100 translates a 5" group at 500 etc, it does not work that way.

If you look on page one of this thread there is a target in my post at the very bottom that has 3 groups shot with an 18" OBR, 2 being 3 round groups of .264 and .341 an average of .302.  Next to that a 5 round group measuring .344.  .039 larger than the two 3 shot groups. All of these groups were shot removing and re-attaching the scope every shot, not much change in group size.  I do agree that a 5 round group has its merits for certain applications, that said, showing that a proven rifle makers rifles shoot is not one of them IMO.  Of the finest and most revered bolt action rife makers in the US, that provide test targets with their rifles, none come to mind that provides a 5 round test target, 3 rounds is the standard.  My point is that be it 3 round or 5 round test groups, it is not a point of contention when comparing high end proven quality rifle manufacturers like Larue and KAC. People love to beat Larue up for the 3 round test targets and its not a valid point.

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#35]

I think 5 makes sense for a test target.   I think 10 would tell more about the barrel, but obviously 5 is economical enough and gives the customer the typical test target.  3 Round targets certainly measure better.  The consistency of the smathering of 3 round targets Larue showed is certainly there.  The groups could be twice that large and they would still be good for a gas gun in 308.  I've ran a few gas guns that will group three in 1/2MOA, but 10 run out to 2MOA or slightly more (DPMS SASS being one example), Larue's barrel may not be one of those.   I'd consider a 308 gas gun that could put 10 relatively quickly fired rounds into 1MOA without pressure signs from chamber tightness or reliability issues to be a real unicorn, and I'd consider anything under 2MOA for 10 to be acceptable for my conception of what it is a 308 gas gun is good for.  In the military M110's that I shot were probably good for 1.7MOA for 10 (M118LR with the suppressor attached).  I also had a beat 3500 round SR25 with can that was probably good for 2MOA with M118LR so that's where my standard comes from.

I have mostly shot either Black hills 168 and 175 or Lake City M118LR.  The Federal GMM might be a lot more accurate for all I know.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Well Mark... it's clear. You're going to have to provide a 100 round proof for people to believe you know how to make rifles.

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#37]
LMT MWS is a fine rifle and you can easily change barrels. Just received an 18" & 20" for mine. It's not on ur list but the LWRC R.E.P.R tops the list for piston 308's. I have the 16" and 20" versions and they are both very accurate. I am waiting for an 18" Larue OBR. Mark Larue has been posting (industry section) pics of targets shot with his new in house barrels. Amazing groups. All of the above are top choices but Larue may be the king of tack drivers. I would love a Knights but I'm not paying that much money for a rifle. The fucking mags cost $100.00 +. My LMT's and R.E.P.R.'s will hang with a Knight all day long and they use PMAGS as does the Larue. Happy shopping!
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well Mark... it's clear. You're going to have to provide a 100 round proof for people to believe you know how to make rifles.

View Quote

No shit.

Most people can't even make a rifle capable of shooting 1/2 MOA shoot 1/2 MOA.

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Only two DI 308 guns i would consider are LMT and LaRue.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 6:18:27 AM EDT
[#40]
I would not overlook the GA Precision GAP-10, just to throw another rifle in the mix.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
LMT MWS is a fine rifle and you can easily change barrels. Just received an 18" & 20" for mine. It's not on ur list but the LWRC R.E.P.R tops the list for piston 308's. I have the 16" and 20" versions and they are both very accurate. I am waiting for an 18" Larue OBR. Mark Larue has been posting (industry section) pics of targets shot with his new in house barrels. Amazing groups. All of the above are top choices but Larue may be the king of tack drivers. I would love a Knights but I'm not paying that much money for a rifle. The fucking mags cost $100.00 +. My LMT's and R.E.P.R.'s will hang with a Knight all day long and they use PMAGS as does the Larue. Happy shopping!
View Quote

Sr25 uses pmags as well.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

OP, for what you would like to spend, I think if you want to build, you certainly can build a Noveske 7.62 rifle. If you want to buy, I would say LaRue PredatOBR would be a wise choice. KAC rifles are great, I have an SR-25 EC, but you are looking at anywhere from $4K - $5K.
View Quote

I have always wanted a Noveske since way back.
They pop up time to time.
There are SR-25s on GunBroker in my price range.

I know I can build and have built two Daniel Defence AR15 and others from parts.
No biggie
Gathering parts for a 5.45x39 now.

But for this .308 I don't want a Franken gun if I decide to sell it
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would not overlook the GA Precision GAP-10, just to throw another rifle in the mix.
View Quote

New to me; thanks.
Then there is the JP which I wasnt aware of.

The Larue seems to be the "logical" choice.

I've decided to take my time unless a no-brainer deal comes up.

The hunt is half the fun anyhow.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Larue
Jp
Lmt
Scar 17

They are in your price range, represent all your needs.

Larue and Jp are hands down the best companies I have ever bought from.

Thier machining, products, and customer service are par excellence.

I have owned the others...incliding the sr25 emc. I know have 4 Larue rifles, and have found perfection.

ETA: for the record JP doesnt even provide a test target.....find one person who bitches about JP complete rifle accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Larue
Jp
Lmt
Scar 17

They are in your price range, represent all your needs.

Larue and Jp are hands down the best companies I have ever bought from.

Thier machining, products, and customer service are par excellence.

I have owned the others...incliding the sr25 emc. I know have 4 Larue rifles, and have found perfection.

ETA: for the record JP doesn't even provide a test target.....find one person who bitches about JP complete rifle accuracy.
View Quote

I can honestly say I've never heard of a complaint from anyone with a JP.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Sr25 uses pmags as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sr25 uses pmags as well.

Thank you. I stand corrected. I still believe that at some point there are diminishing returns with respect to the Knights. It is a fine weapon but is it worth the extra money. Clearly a matter of choice and want v. need. Frankly, my above referenced rifles are all better than I am. A fucking Colt 20" HBAR is better than me. If u got the the bucks, go for it. I'm not the guy pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

What other companies send out test targets with their rifles? Just curious because I have or have had rifles from LaRue, KAC, Daniel Defense, LWRC, Noveske, LMT, Bravo Company, NEMO Arms and PWS. I know there are a lot more manufacturers out there, but I did not see a test target from any of them, only ones I ever saw were from LaRue and KAC.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 4:58:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What other companies send out test targets with their rifles? Just curious because I have or have had rifles from LaRue, KAC, Daniel Defense, LWRC, Noveske, LMT, Bravo Company, NEMO Arms and PWS. I know there are a lot more manufacturers out there, but I did not see a test target from any of them, only ones I ever saw were from LaRue and KAC.
View Quote

Cooper.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 5:13:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Cooper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cooper.

Wilson sends test targets (nice groups) with their uppers so I assume they do the same with their rifles. I don't see much on the forum re: Wilson which seems odd. I have 3 of their uppers and quality/finish/accuracy is top notch.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Cooper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cooper.

Do they use a 3-shot or 5-shot group?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top