Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#1]
< Non Technical - F >
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
< Non Technical - F >

So I take the ammo seems to be good stuff to plink and practice with? If this stuff gets more traction, this may be what I need to get my Grendel Gun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
< Non Technical - F >
Consensus seems to be that it's stone reliable, feeds and ejects uniformly, but throws the occasional flyer.  Like 1 in 6 or 7 wanders off kind of flyer.  I'm thinking (only thinking, as I haven't laid hands on any yet) that it might be a good practice to examine the rounds before loading them to see if you can pick out any discrepancies in COAL or weight, even though it's bargain ammo.  OTOH, if you aren't expecting match grade performance, just load it in and blaze away.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#4]
< Non Technical - F >

As long as it allows me to practice. I don't expect it to be Match Grade accuracy but if it will do Minute of Can out at distance, awesome!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]
< Non Technical - F >
I'm hearing a lot of 1- 1 1/2 MOA for 3ish rounds then a flier or two out to 6 or 8.  That's pretty wicked, and indicative of  QC issues. (at least to me)  

The guys who've been weighing the bullets are saying that weight is pretty consistent, but that powder weights can fluctuate  0.2 grains between 3 measured rounds (as in 2 being right on and the third being 0.2 light).  I have no idea what powder (other than ball) is being used, so I can't say whether 0.2 grains is even meaningful.  I wouldn't expect Russian ammo to be temp sensitive, either.  

What I'm left with (having not seen any in person) is the possibility that one or two out of ten is maybe getting crammed down the neck a tiny bit harder than the others, and maybe generating enough extra pressure to throw those fliers.  

Or, it could be something with the metal they're using on the jackets having thin spots/thick spots, or it could be blah blah blah.  Personally, I'd be happy as a clam for "junk" ammo to throw 2 or 3 MOA groups if it did so consistently.  The idea of frequent fliers opening up groups to three or four times their size, though, is troublesome.

OTOH, I'm under the impression we're seeing the first production run of this ammo here so far, and that subsequent runs will be more consistent.  Or so is my hope.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm guessing the flyers are sloppy bullets. If they aren't careful to make sure there are no minute voids in the lead fill, then one side of the bullet will be slightly heavier than the other and the bullet will be unbalanced and wobble off line of flight. Just a guess. . . .
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I think "sloppy" bullet construction sounds like the best explanation. It looks to me like it might be very easy for the front end of the lead core to become ever so slightly malformed, resulting in uneven weight distribution.

I can't be sure, but it looks as if this may be the case with the sectioned bullet in the photo below.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
It's probably a little difficult to tell from a sectioned bullet, because it also depends on the quality of your sectioning, but it's probably the case.

Getting a perfectly evenly distributed lead fill is a very basic technological challenge, one that bullet makers have been chasing, with more and more success, for many years. More recently, match bullet makers have been chasing getting perfectly concentric jackets, for the same reasons. All in the quest for consistently accurate bullets.

However, all this goes out the window when mass-producing cheap FMJs by the bazillions! Wolf steel-case ain't match ammo, so let's just enjoy the price and feel the warmth of our wallets smiling.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#9]
There's a reason really good bullets are expensive. And not stuffed in from the back.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a reason really good bullets are expensive. And not stuffed in from the back.
View Quote

Very true
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Very true
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true

So, that means I need to get some of this and make some Mexican match ammo with it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#12]
sounds like good ammo for slapping the Grendel upper on the full auto lower....
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So, that means I need to get some of this and make some Mexican match ammo with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true

You must be a high power shooter
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top