User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Truth be told, it could still be done but it would have been better to have used a representative ammo from one of the same lots used for the other testing.
View Quote

I agree but I would put money on the results being different enough to be interesting. Like I said i wouldnt be appropriate for a laboratory white glove test but I would be happy with the results either way.

The only gun I ever had a issue with Wolf was my AR10 carbine with a stainless barrel. Broke the extractor but that was years ago. When I get it back together I might try it again with where 308 has gone
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Truth be told, it could still be done but it would have been better to have used a representative ammo from one of the same lots used for the other testing.
View Quote

It may not have been the bullet jacket, either.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]
So the damage was less to do with the ammo and more to do with the ammo in very hot barrels?  That makes sense, I guess there's not any issues for normal use.  I don't know much to nothing about such things so wading through the masses of information and telling true from false and relevant from irrelevant isn't very easy.  Thanks for the clarification
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So the damage was less to do with the ammo and more to do with the ammo in very hot barrels?  That makes sense, I guess there's not any issues for normal use.  I don't know much to nothing about such things so wading through the masses of information and telling true from false and relevant from irrelevant isn't very easy.  Thanks for the clarification
View Quote

The problem is without a control we will never know
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
there will even be a nice gel shot pic in Shotgun News in august.......with an early yaw cycle.

View Quote

Superb photo, David. By chance have you computed the BC?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#9]
can someone who has gotten this stuff confirm whether it's boxer or berdan primed?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 3:08:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard chrome is harder than steel, hard chrome is also  performs less than ideally under high heat applications, I honestly believe that under normal shooting conditions the barrels in that test would have held up much better than they did, but due to the intense heat, and steel jackets the chrome lining began flaking off until the steel was exposed.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:can someone who has gotten this stuff confirm whether it's boxer or berdan primed?
View Quote

I don't have any but Bill A. said it's Berdan.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:47:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
there will even be a nice gel shot pic in Shotgun News in august.......with an early yaw cycle.

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/Gunwritr/Wolf%20Grendel%20Steel%20Case/Reduced_zpse0d36442-1.jpg

thanks! Sorry no I have not....
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think relative is the wrong term.  I think of you were to do a proper graph temp vs rounds fired vs wear, you would see a slight increase over copper up to a certain temp and then the steel would go and jump asymptotic before the copper.  Stay below that point and there will be a difference but it will be something more like 15 or 20% and not 50+% more wear.
View Quote

What effect does muzzle velocity have? Wouldn't a better idea of the wear imposed by the Wolf FMJ ammo be had from looking at 7.62x51, instead of 5.56x45?

I think most US military 7.62 M80 Ball produced for machine gun use over the last couple decades, has been with gilding metal clad steel jackets.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Though I'm not an engineer, HeavyMetal's argument makes sense to me, intuitively. Why wouldn't hard, cold steel bullet jackets do quite a bit of engraving on hot, soft steel barrel rifling?

I would, however, argue that we never hear of "commie" AK47 barrels being shot out by steel-jacketed bullets because I'm guessing that most foreign users can't afford the volumes of ammo that American shooters can. And even if they did, I don't think they're interested in doing controlled tests and reporting their results from, oh, the Central African Republic.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Though I'm not an engineer, HeavyMetal's argument makes sense to me, intuitively. Why wouldn't hard, cold steel bullet jackets do quite a bit of engraving on hot, soft steel barrel rifling?
View Quote

Perhaps because actually the bullet jackets are mild steel, and the barrels are hard steel with an even harder chrome lining?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Perhaps because actually the bullet jackets are mild steel, and the barrels are hard steel with an even harder chrome lining?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cold metal is harder/tougher than hot metal.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Metal's metal, and that's that?

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:42:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's far too much of a blanket statement, which fails to consider the relative hardness/toughness of the different alloys.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:46:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I see that pic and I think AK-74 in steroids.  The Russians should make a Vepr in that caliber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/Gunwritr/Wolf%20Grendel%20Steel%20Case/Reduced_zpse0d36442-1.jpg

I see that pic and I think AK-74 in steroids.  The Russians should make a Vepr in that caliber.

They do.........
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Yesterday Alexander Arms got in a boatload, literally, of their new 6.5 Grendel magazines from Elander. These are coated steel (withstand 96 hours salt spray), and are designed from the ground up to be dedicated 6.5 Grendel magazines, with both the curvature and rib placement specific to the 6.5 Grendel.

Should be the best 6.5 Grendel magazines yet.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yesterday Alexander Arms got in a boatload, literally, of their new 6.5 Grendel magazines from Elander. These are coated steel (withstand 96 hours salt spray), and are designed from the ground up to be dedicated 6.5 Grendel magazines, with both the curvature and rib placement specific to the 6.5 Grendel.

View Quote

The Elander 5.56 mags suck, so I'll wait to get excited.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone else can beta those for me. I've had very bad luck with Grendel mags.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am asking Dave about the mags for the Vepr.  Will high-caps be available for the Grendel Vepr?
View Quote

I'm interested as well, are Vepr rifles in 6.5 Grendel being imported?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#32]
If the Russians start building 6.5G AK's it'll grow like wildfire.  The performance of the 6.5G obviously stomps the 7.65x39, which will become apparent pretty quickly to not only the Russian masses but other nations looking for better weapons.  All that is needed is ammo which could be supplied in the numbers needed should the facilities be allocated.  While I'm a fan of the M16/M4, the US and other 5.56 using nations would be at a distinct disadvantage when fighting rifle to rifle with 5.56 vs 6.5G.  Not saying that would ever happen but the Russians have already found a love of the 6.5G and are making the ammo so it will just take time for more people to realize how much better the 6.5G performs compared to what they have now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am asking Dave about the mags for the Vepr.  Will high-caps be available for the Grendel Vepr?
View Quote

Good question. Wolf is partnered with Molot and imports Vepr rifles so I will ask and see what they say!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If the Russians start building 6.5G AK's it'll grow like wildfire.  The performance of the 6.5G obviously stomps the 7.65x39, which will become apparent pretty quickly to not only the Russian masses but other nations looking for better weapons.  All that is needed is ammo which could be supplied in the numbers needed should the facilities be allocated.  While I'm a fan of the M16/M4, the US and other 5.56 using nations would be at a distinct disadvantage when fighting rifle to rifle with 5.56 vs 6.5G.  Not saying that would ever happen but the Russians have already found a love of the 6.5G and are making the ammo so it will just take time for more people to realize how much better the 6.5G performs compared to what they have now.
View Quote

From http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/?msg=5287.1

"I have just heard that the Russian Army is developing a new intermediate caliber round based on the 6.5 mm Grendel. The case will be slightly extended to contain extra propellant needed for long-range performance (43 mm?) and the G7 form factor will be similar to the existing 5.45 mm round (0.929). The ammunition is expected to be used in a new family of weapons designed to replace the AK-74 and will include a new belt-fed machine gun."
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I haven't seen it anywhere else, but there might be a little problem with getting any Russian AKs, let alone ones in 6.5. I hope it doesn't grow into restrictions on ammo too.

From the ongoing thread about the goings on in Ukraine:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1597203_BREAKING__Putin_orders_150_000_troops_in_western_Russia_on_alert_Drill.html&page=205

Quoted:
Simon Shuster ?@shustry  40s
Today the US also blacklisted the makers of the AK-47, whose biggest market by far is the USA
View Quote

ETA: Found a thread about the subject: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1645562_Concern_Kalshnikov_added_to_Sanctions_List.html
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

"I have just heard that the Russian Army is developing a new intermediate caliber round based on the 6.5 mm Grendel. The case will be slightly extended to contain extra propellant needed for long-range performance (43 mm?) and the G7 form factor will be similar to the existing 5.45 mm round (0.929). The ammunition is expected to be used in a new family of weapons designed to replace the AK-74 and will include a new belt-fed machine gun."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the Soviets did a lot of testing in the 60s and 70s and this included a 6.5x39mm variant. Test weapons are still in their archives and test data is there somewhere.
So this is not entirely new to the Russians.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:Inside track... Picked up the box today.. Only got to fire 20 rounds so far. Ran out of time.. But I will be getting to it later this week.
View Quote

Yo, Shwell, where'd you run off to, man? You're the only other one with some inside info! You got an update for us?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

the Soviets did a lot of testing in the 60s and 70s and this included a 6.5x39mm variant. Test weapons are still in their archives and test data is there somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, makes sense, I wouldn't be surprised if they went that route for a main caliber.  Personally I've really become a fan of the 6.5Grendel performance, I'm far from an expert but it seems like it would make a fantastic caliber for the AK or its predecessor or even better as the US's next caliber AR.  Although I'm sure there's WAY more likelihood that the Russians do it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I sure "HOPE" Hornady starts to produce their version of the Grendel steel case ammo like their "Steel Case Match" now that there will be steel cases available. I know it may be a long shot but we can all HOPE.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Assuming a half-way point in cost between steel cased 5.56 and steel 7.62, I'm guesstimating a per box cost of about $7-8.00 once the market

stabilizes. Given the ballistics of this round and the weight of carbines for it versus the .308 GII I had been considering, the 6.5 becomes very

attractive.  So what would be the easiest way to put together a 16 inch midlength carbine with a pinned FSB?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Assuming a half-way point in cost between steel cased 5.56 and steel 7.62, I'm guesstimating a per box cost of about $7-8.00 once the market

stabilizes. Given the ballistics of this round and the weight of carbines for it versus the .308 GII I had been considering, the 6.5 becomes very

attractive.  So what would be the easiest way to put together a 16 inch midlength carbine with a pinned FSB?
View Quote

Buy an upper.

Alexander Arms would be a great choice.

J&T Distributing

or.. search the EE.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Given the ballistics of this round and the weight of carbines for it versus the .308 GII I had been considering, the 6.5 becomes very attractive.  So what would be the easiest way to put together a 16 inch midlength carbine with a pinned FSB?
View Quote

Considering the less than 2500 fps muzzle velocity from a 16" barrel, and probable G1 BC of circa 0.390, I think ballistics of this steel-cased ammo are going to be much less than impressive.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Considering the less than 2500 fps muzzle velocity from a 16" barrel, and probable G1 BC of circa 0.390, I think ballistics of this steel-cased ammo are going to be much less than impressive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Given the ballistics of this round and the weight of carbines for it versus the .308 GII I had been considering, the 6.5 becomes very attractive.  So what would be the easiest way to put together a 16 inch midlength carbine with a pinned FSB?

Then I can do a bit of volume with the wolf, but use stuff like Hornady Amax for stuff like hunting.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmmmmmmmmm...........think so..........?
Shot fine at 800 yards for me........

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Can't wait to spend some time with the new Grendel magazines.......I used them at a demo a bit back but
have some coming for testing........
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:24:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said ballistics (as in trajectory, wind drift), not accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:45:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I had an extra Mil on the gun......didn't seem like a big deal
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#49]
None of that matters a hoot if the stuff doesn't actually show up on the market.  With everything going on with Russia, if Wolf doesn't get it here soon in quantity, we'll probably never have a chance to really give it a chance.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#50]
If there's a demonstrated market, they'll figure out how to get it here.  .gov can't even nail down our OWN tax cheats, I don't suppose a little corporate slight of hand on the far side of the ocean would be any easier.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top