Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Am I the only one saying "meh"?

I built my 6.5 to fill my want for a more effective accurized AR without going into the 308 world. I can't think of when I would buy this ammo or shoot it? The Wolf Gold brass case is good for my "cheap" ammo.

Though I suppose seeing any kind of ammo available in this caliber is worth getting excited for
View Quote

I'm interested to see what happens if you pull the Russkie 100 grain FMJ-BT and simply replace it with a
high quality Match or Hunting projectile......we know the cases themselves are capable of providing excellent accuracy from
previous testing.

If you are only interested in shooting very tight groups on paper, then this ammunition may not do it for you.

But if you do more than that, especially if you shoot on steel......it opens up some interesting possibilities.

The mere introduction of this ammunition is going to have a noticeable effect on the commercial market.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks so very much to you early adopters for your reports and photos. If any of you have a photo of a sectioned bullet, I'm sure many of us would greatly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the Wolf 100 grain FMJ steel case would make a good round for hog hunting.   Probably just as  effective as 5.56 but  might give you a little more range  and you don't have to worry about the spent brass.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll bet a 100 grn 6.5 Grendel would be an awesome hog round, much better than a 5.56, which is a very capable hog round on it's own.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Woohoo!

This looks like a good match for my recently completed 12.5"  6.5G.

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Forget about the AK, I want an RPD chambered in it.

http://savethegun.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/rpdcarbine.jpg

Lighter than a SAW, with performance like a medium machine gun.
View Quote

You dirty man. I like it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I like the way you think!  Put me down for 2!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Forget about the AK, I want an RPD chambered in it.

http://savethegun.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/rpdcarbine.jpg

Lighter than a SAW, with performance like a medium machine gun.

I like the way you think!  Put me down for 2!

Welcome to the Dark Side Luke!  
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Well shit, I guess I'm glad I saved my Grendel barrel. I guess I'll have to build that 14.5" tree stand gun I've been wanting

Kinda like this 556 that Zach from thunderbeast arms built
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#10]
It's only been 8 years in the making
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Has there been any word when it will be available for sale?  These teasers are nice, but I want to buy some!
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I go through a lot of the Grendel, because I just love this round.   I can guarantee once it's released, and especially if the supply remains steady, there will be a massive resurgence of interest in the Grendel cartridge.  Now...if only Wolf would make .458 SOCOM....just sayin......

Paco
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Am I the only one saying "meh"?

I built my 6.5 to fill my want for a more effective accurized AR without going into the 308 world. I can't think of when I would buy this ammo or shoot it? The Wolf Gold brass case is good for my "cheap" ammo.

Though I suppose seeing any kind of ammo available in this caliber is worth getting excited for
View Quote

I chose A-max over the Wolf Gold for my training classes.  Like you said, my Grendels are medium-range accurized AR's.

I'm glad that Wolf made this ammo, and that it will encourage more people to adopt the cartridge.

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
100 yard accuracy.
Average for three 10-shot groups is 2.4 inches.
View Quote

How does this compare to US military 5.56 M855 Ball? 7.62 M80 Ball?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Has there been any word when it will be available for sale?  These teasers are nice, but I want to buy some!
View Quote

I called Wolf, and was told December for widely available commercial distribution........  Whatever that means

Maybe a few bigger places like AIM surplus will get it first.  I think I linked this thread on the old one in the AA section.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#17]
If Wolf would offer the sister caliber of the Grendel (.50 Beowulf) it would be the best of both worlds....the best "medium bore" and the best big bore.  I would be living large with cheap Grendel and Beowulf ammo.  Beowulf ammo isn't really that expensive for what it is but being able to buy cheaper would super boost Beowulf sales too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If Wolf would offer the sister caliber of the Grendel, by the time it hit the shelves, I'd be too old to shoot it.
View Quote

FIFY

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#19]
You are probably right about that LOL.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#20]
oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god yesssssssssss now someone please ship a whole container load of it to new zealand
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Berdan primed? lol
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I called Wolf, and was told December for widely available commercial distribution........  Whatever that means

Maybe a few bigger places like AIM surplus will get it first.  I think I linked this thread on the old one in the AA section.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It means they have received their first shipment and will receive a shipment each month in growing quantities.
But the really BIG numbers will hit in November as the factory spools up to full production.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Berdan primed? lol
View Quote

If I can get my hands on primers I will reload them.

If  not, I'll convert some to Boxer primers.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#24]
David, any idea when we'll see gel tests of the FMJ?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Berdan primed? lol

Wolf sells us boxer primed steel cases for the .223. So what is the problem with the same for Grendel?

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Wolf sells us boxer primed steel cases for the .223. So what is the problem with the same for Grendel?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Berdan primed? lol

There was no previous berdan cased 223, iirc.  But the Grendel is based on the same case as the 7.62x39.  Do they make steel boxer 7.62x39?  If not, I doubt the Grendel will be boxer, either.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It means they have received their first shipment and will receive a shipment each month in growing quantities.
But the really BIG numbers will hit in November as the factory spools up to full production.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, where should I look for it?...... IM or email works best
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey!  You £^%#^£%!!!!!!   We see what you tried there!  As punishment, he'll IM me instead.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:44:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god yesssssssssss now someone please ship a whole container load of it to new zealand
View Quote

well turns out it's never coming to NZ so I will never be getting a grendel, ruts

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
David, any idea when we'll see gel tests of the FMJ?
View Quote

or some accuracy results
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm hoping to see Privi release their own stuff instead of feeding it to Wolf ....maybe even Privi Match (yeah....I'm dreaming, I know) seems the Wolf Gold is out of stock everywhere that isnt priced into the stratosphere

My LAR / Lilja plinker should be ready by next week to start working loads up......I prepped/primed 100pcs of Hornady Brass yesterday , will start dropping powder later if I can get my back to stop screaming at me

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me translate that reply for you - "two weeks". You do realize that steel cased Grendel ammo has been right around the corner for....like six years now. Wolf Gold was supposed to be under $10 a box, etc etc.....

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:59:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Let me translate that reply for you - "two weeks". You do realize that steel cased Grendel ammo has been right around the corner for....like six years now. Wolf Gold was supposed to be under $10 a box, etc etc.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand the attitude, except the ammo is real, its here and its gooood.......
there will even be a nice gel shot pic in Shotgun News in august.......with an early yaw cycle.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Good to see the G ammo coming on line.

Hopefully that means the Tula  6.8 stuff will be in the pipeline soon since I think the G was the easier one for them to get out case production wise.

I guess now that the ,223 market is softening they are able to concentrate on us 6.x guys. Good news all around.

You guys enjoy that ammo and cross your fingers for your hard headed brothers.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Good to see the G ammo coming on line.

Hopefully that means the Tula  6.8 stuff will be in the pipeline soon since I think the G was the easier one for them to get out case production wise.

I guess now that the ,223 market is softening they are able to concentrate on us 6.x guys. Good news all around.

You guys enjoy that ammo and cross your fingers for your hard headed brothers.
View Quote

Will do, I hope Tula does better for you than the Grendel folk. Tula was the original Wolf source for Grendel and never got it done.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#36]
All well and good till Zero bans the import by executive order or ATF classifies it as armor piercing.  We need an affordable domestic ammo production alternative.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
All well and good till Zero bans the import by executive order or ATF classifies it as armor piercing.  We need an affordable domestic ammo production alternative.
View Quote

I do worry about import bans, but they'd have to come up with a whole new definition of AP to declare this projectile as such.  It has a bimetal jacket, an airspace in the nose, and a normal lead core in the rear.  Nothing even remotely AP about it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I do worry about import bans, but they'd have to come up with a whole new definition of AP to declare this projectile as such.  It has a bimetal jacket, an airspace in the nose, and a normal lead core in the rear.  Nothing even remotely AP about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless fired from a pistol that would readily defeat soft body armor.  Look what happened with 5.45.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Unless fired from a pistol that would readily defeat soft body armor.  Look what happened with 5.45.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That applies to 5.45 7n6 ammunition which has a steel core in front of the lead one.  The 100 grain Grendel FMJ projectile (that Dave posted a sectioned core pic of above) contains no such steel "penetrator".
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Speaking of the projectile....does anyone have concerns about the bi-metal jacket in their match grade SS barrels?  I'll be honest, I've never put any WOLF rounds down an SS barrel (only chrome-lined).
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Will it wear your barrel quicker?  I'm sure it will, but with the savings it might be worth it.  (cost of ammo vs cost of new barrel)

A look at 'standard' ammo vs import ammo in .223
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speaking of the projectile....does anyone have concerns about the bi-metal jacket in their match grade SS barrels?  I'll be honest, I've never put any WOLF rounds down an SS barrel (only chrome-lined).

Will it wear your barrel quicker?  I'm sure it will, but with the savings it might be worth it.  (cost of ammo vs cost of new barrel)

Wow, that was a great read.  Definitely bookmarked.  Thanks Forest!
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I understand the attitude, except the ammo is real, its here and its gooood.......

there will even be a nice gel shot pic in Shotgun News in august.......with an early yaw cycle.

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/Gunwritr/Wolf%20Grendel%20Steel%20Case/Reduced_zpse0d36442-1.jpg
View Quote

Now THAT is a well done bullet section.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I would never come close to shooting those amounts through my Grendel I'm rethinking my interest in the steel cased stuff now after reading that test.  Considering the cost of buying/building a Grendel along with the difficulty in finding barrels at the moment, I would feel like I'm slowly borking my barrel shooting steel cased ammo.  I'm a worrier so that's probably more to do with it than anything but it's like running cheap ammo in your race car just some of the time, probably won't destroy it but it's going to leave a mark.  I dunno....I sure wish Federal or similar others would start making Grendel ammo.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

While I would never come close to shooting those amounts through my Grendel I'm rethinking my interest in the steel cased stuff now after reading that test.  Considering the cost of buying/building a Grendel along with the difficulty in finding barrels at the moment, I would feel like I'm slowly borking my barrel shooting steel cased ammo.  I'm a worrier so that's probably more to do with it than anything but it's like running cheap ammo in your race car just some of the time, probably won't destroy it but it's going to leave a mark.  I dunno....I sure wish Federal or similar others would start making Grendel ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not hard to find Grendel barrels today
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you are not getting your barrel 800 degrees, I would not worry about it.  I hate that fucking stupid luckygunner test because it only tells half the truth and they waay underemphasize the effect of the temps they are getting the barrels to.  It is essentially a destructive test the way they are conducting it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are not getting your barrel 800 degrees, I would not worry about it.  I hate that fucking stupid luckygunner test because it only tells half the truth and they waay underemphasize the effect of the temps they are getting the barrels to.  It is essentially a destructive test the way they are conducting it.

I agree with a lot of that. I think the test was incredibly useful but not for most people. Unless you are following that extreme firing schedule your results are going to be totally different.

It is a no brainer for me with wolf in general. If the gun works with it you will more than cover the cost of a new barrel by the time you wear it out.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If only they had ran a control rifle where they fired that 10K over a month instead of in a weekend.
View Quote

Agreed. While it wouldnt pass muster in a lab he could still do the test but I feel like we will never see it. I think most people got the answer they wanted anyway
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top