User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Stick in the mud?
Hey, I own ARP barrels, an CH4D dies for a Dillon press. I do not know what components you are putting together (you never stated what you are using),and do not want to be stuck with some junk upper, and rail that goes in the "I don't give a shit" bin when all many of us need is bolt and barrels with a die kit of some sort. This whole "well you didn't wait long enough" quickie garbage and throwing a price out with limited information doesn't sit well with me. You are not straightforward, are shifty, and jump out with information only when someone says they don't like how this is looking. I have had my dealing with bad vendors, an I would suggest at this point you find someone else to do your PR. I'm done. If your shipping is the same as your PR I would categorize you with Botach. I'm not here to bash you, or put down a product I have not seen. I posted this because it is apparent you need to get out of the shop for a reality check. At this point I will now sit back for a couple of years, and see how this pans out before going forward with any product from you, or promoting it to friends,family, and coworkers that share this hobby. Depending on how you  promote your product, and what your customer service is going to look like I may reconsider. I have several specialty calibers, and am not in a huge rush to jump on the next newest thing.Your market is small bro, and I think it is time to get your ducks in a row.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stick in the mud?
Hey, I own ARP barrels, an CH4D dies for a Dillon press. I do not know what components you are putting together (you never stated what you are using),and do not want to be stuck with some junk upper, and rail that goes in the "I don't give a shit" bin when all many of us need is bolt and barrels with a die kit of some sort. This whole "well you didn't wait long enough" quickie garbage and throwing a price out with limited information doesn't sit well with me. You are not straightforward, are shifty, and jump out with information only when someone says they don't like how this is looking. I have had my dealing with bad vendors, an I would suggest at this point you find someone else to do your PR. I'm done. If your shipping is the same as your PR I would categorize you with Botach. I'm not here to bash you, or put down a product I have not seen. I posted this because it is apparent you need to get out of the shop for a reality check. At this point I will now sit back for a couple of years, and see how this pans out before going forward with any product from you, or promoting it to friends,family, and coworkers that share this hobby. Depending on how you  promote your product, and what your customer service is going to look like I may reconsider. I have several specialty calibers, and am not in a huge rush to jump on the next newest thing.Your market is small bro, and I think it is time to get your ducks in a row.  
View Quote

Duly noted sir, there's been plenty of mention of parts that comprise my product so I'm not sure where you've been........ Thanks for giving me business tips.

have a wonderful weekend bud!!    :)
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Duly noted sir, there's been plenty of mention of parts that comprise my product so I'm not sure where you've been........ Thanks for giving me business tips.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stick in the mud?

xacex:  I'm with you.

w3p shows up on this forum exclusively to hawk a product and then smarts off to potential customers who he feels are "nasty" when they voice an opinion about a price.  His claims warrant intense scrutiny but he acts like we have some duty to trust him.  Naturally, of course, we don't.

The funny thing is I was just about to comment that he needs to pick up a few business tips when he posted thanks for the business tips.

I have not been a fight picker on this thread at all and in fact have interest in the concept and had an interest in his product, but I agree with xacex that w3p's attitude toward potential customers doesn't really encourage me to buy any product he sells.  At least at this point.

Like you xacex. I'll just wait.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I too have held my tongue reading w3p responses trying to give the benefit of the doubt and fearing their wrath for asking a simple question, but no more. i was really wanting one of these but your attitude anytime someone dares ask a question is totally out there.

you dangle bits and pieces of info out there like little carrots and expect us to chase after the answers, very bad business practices. you have been asked multiple times in this thread what prices would be and finally you give a price on a complete upper. no where else in this thread have you mentioned a price on any other combination. and your website seems to be down so no info there.  why must you chastise people when they try to get answers and then chastise people because they don't want to spend 900 on a complete upper? when you haven't given a price on anything else.

good luck with the round. I will check back in a year or so and see if your condescending attitude has changed -- doubt that it will -- then make my decision if i need one of these.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

w3p shows up on this forum exclusively to hawk a product and then smarts off to potential customers who he feels are "nasty" when they voice an opinion about a price.  His claims warrant intense scrutiny but he acts like we have some duty to trust him.  Naturally, of course, we don't.

The funny thing is I was just about to comment that he needs to pick up a few business tips when he posted thanks for the business tips.

I have not been a fight picker on this thread at all and in fact have interest in the concept and had an interest in his product, but I agree with xacex that w3p's attitude toward potential customers doesn't really encourage me to buy any product he sells.  At least at this point.

View Quote

Thanks fellas......  more business tips from the true professionals!!  Keep em coming.......  we all learn something new everyday.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I too have held my tongue reading w3p responses trying to give the benefit of the doubt and fearing their wrath for asking a simple question, but no more. i was really wanting one of these but your attitude anytime someone dares ask a question is totally out there.

you dangle bits and pieces of info out there like little carrots and expect us to chase after the answers, very bad business practices. you have been asked multiple times in this thread what prices would be and finally you give a price on a complete upper. no where else in this thread have you mentioned a price on any other combination. and your website seems to be down so no info there.  why must you chastise people when they try to get answers and then chastise people because they don't want to spend 900 on a complete upper? when you haven't given a price on anything else.

good luck with the round. I will check back in a year or so and see if your condescending attitude has changed -- doubt that it will -- then make my decision if i need one of these.
View Quote

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks fellas......  more business tips from the true professionals!!  Keep em coming.......  we all learn something new everyday.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, speaking for myself, that is true.  I bet others here run very successful businesses as well, successful partly because we avoid treating potential customers as you have here.

The more you post, the worse it gets for you and the more sure some of us are that yours is a business we will avoid in the future, that is, if in the future it is still a business at all.  I really do think you had far more friends and potential customers when you started than you do now.

I learned a long time ago that warm crow is easier to swallow than cold crow.  The crow waiting for you here is getting cold...

One last, honest tip would be for you to hire someone to pony your wares around.  Sometimes delegation is the best policy.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#8]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Originally Posted By

Actually, speaking for myself, that is true.  I bet others here run very successful businesses as well, successful partly because we avoid treating potential customers as you have here.

The more you post, the worse it gets for you and the more sure some of us are that yours is a business we will avoid in the future, that is, if in the future it is still a business at all.  I really do think you had far more friends and potential customers when you started than you do now.

I learned a long time ago that warm crow is easier to swallow than cold crow.  The crow waiting for you here is getting cold...

One last, honest tip would be for you to hire someone to pony your wares around.  Sometimes delegation is the best policy.

View Quote

sorry fellas...... thanks for the solid business model and advice.   We are over here taking notes don't you worry.   Glad to see the constructive criticism. ....

Ya'll have a great weekend! !
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you a child?  Serious question here because I really can't fathom someone who is trying to run a business and drum up potential customers acting in the manner you are.  

I agree with the other posters on the pricing and your limited info.  You expect everyone to just believe that you are using top notch components and parts yet give no information as to actual parts used.  What are your barrel specs, what upper is used, what forearm, etc.  I already have a .458 Socom, .300 Blackout, 5.56 and .260 Rem and this round was of interest until the last few pages.  I too will sit out for now until you change your business model or another manufacturer offers product for it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys just give John a call and ask him your questions directly or email him.  I left a voice message and he called me back in about 30 minutes and he responded back to my email quickly too. On the phone he was professional and answered my questions to my satisfaction with technical answers. The first time he called me back he was on his property working but because of where he was I kept dropping the call and he kept calling me back to continue the conversation.  I think that's pretty good of guy to do that,  so we agreed to talk when it was best for him and he called later that evening and we talked for about 45 minutes about the 375reaper.   He has changed the mind of this skeptic and I will be building a 375reaper as soon as possible. Take it for what it's worth but I think he's a good guy.

ETA- I actually spoke with him today and he answered the phone right away.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The below was posted by BigBore in a 458 thread where the issue of bolt thrust on this size bolt was discussed quite a bit. Regardless, however, if this is delivered as promised, I'll get one.  

It is not the pressures in the AR platform that limit things any more than it is the pressures in the Contender. It is back thrust and what the bolt lugs will take before damage starts to happen. To equal the back thrust on the bolt lugs that the smaller 5.56 has, the larger diameter bolt face of the .458 SOCOM, to equal the same back thrust pressures, has to reduce maximum pressure. Since there is no easy formula, not even for Marty to use, that takes into account body taper and other intangibles that affect back thrust, the formula for straight out back thrust is quite simple. Area of the bolt face multiplied by maximum pressure. So the SOCOM works out to be 35000 PSI as does the .50 Beowulf. The Bushmaster gets around this, as does Olympic, by using specially heat treated or redesigned bolts or bolt systems. Since the SOCOM and the Beowulf use pretty much standard AR bolts just opened up to .308 size, pressures must be reduced for proper bolt life. Now, if you exceed the back thrust limit will the gun explode? Of course not, but the bolt lugs will be stressed and with time, as with any metal that is stressed, cracks will happen and the lugs will break. Eventually something will let go, and there is at least one case where an overzealous reloaded (458socomforums, first board) who ignored all the warnings eventually blew up his rifle. It took several hundred rounds loaded way hotter than anything Marty or anyone else was telling him was safe but when it let loose the guy was lucky that all he lost was is rifle and pride.

True, Marty has said that nobody really knows for certain what the limit is because there has been no scientific study done to test the bolts to destruction while being used in the .458 S. But that is him condoning pushing the SOCOM up past 35000 psi as some have been prone to interpret. However, we do know that at 35000 psi nobody has reported any bolts turning loose. Yes, some bolts have broken and barrel extensions have broken, but in the few cases that this has happened it was due to improperly heat treated barrel extensions and bolts, mostly a small and limited batch of RR barrel extensions done a few years ago, so if you have a RR rifle a few years old there is no need to panic. If it has not broken by now it is not going to. But we do know that there have been a few cases where those who have pushed the SOCOM up into the 45,000 psi range (and higher) and kept it there, as evident of constant flattened primers and case head expansion and brass flow, have experienced failures after prolonged use at these pressures.

So, be smart, be safe, and any case you choose to use, figure the maximum operating pressure by calculation back thrust if you are using the AR platform. BT is again, area of the case head (Pi*radius squared) multiplied by maximum pressure. Once you figure the BT for the 5.56, to find the new case maximum pressure, take max BT and divide it by the area of the case head to yield maximum pressure. Notice caliber has no influence what so ever.
View Quote

The bolt isn't what limits you with these cartridges in the AR15 guys, and the Beowulf does not use "standard bolts just opened up to .308 size".

The Beowulf bolts are spec'd and manufactured from scratch to AA's dimensions, on steel spec'd by AA, with heat treatment parameters spec'd by AA, and the face is the same diameter as a 7.62x39 bolt, since the Beowulf is rebated.

The 35,000psi limit with these magnum pistol type cartridges is based on the barrel tennon diameter and nominal minimum of the threads and relief cut right before the shoulder where the barrel extension abuts to.  If you exceed these pressures on a regular basis, the thin walls of the chamber fail, expanding outwards like an egg.

If you go to an AR10 diameter chamber wall, barrel extension, and upper receiver, you can push the pressures to the same level as .308.  Calculating the hoop stress is very scientific, if you know the material strengths from the data sheet given by the manufacturer, the yield strength, and the Factor of Safety margin you need to meet.  Most firearms are built with a FOS of 2, however, things get dicey with the AR15 already with 5.56 NATO, a cartridge it was never engineered around.  Then when you stuff fatter cartridges in the AR15, and want to maintain a good FOS, pressures need to come down.  It's as simple as that.  How much is determined by thick wall hoop stress calcs.

Lassen Gunsmithing Hoop Stres Calculator
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Thanks Lee.....
nonetheless, as a business owner I take alot of criticism, I'm used to it and really tired of the forums.  Everyone gets their panties in a bunch over the smallest things and it's actually pretty comical to watch.  As a 35 year old Retired Army Veteran I've seen my fair share in life and don't expect anything to come easy.   This endeavor is no different. ..... it's easy to hide behind a keyboard and pass judgment.  Not everyone will see it the way you do in life and the internet world of text and Internet is emotionless so it's hard to get your point across without sounding like an ass sometimes.  
As for my attitude,  that has been spearheaded unfortunately by guys who think they know all there is to know about weapons and apparently have aerospace engineering degrees...I dunno.   Just how it comes off....

but using Young manufacturing parts and X-Caliber barrels are definitely not piss poor quality if so please let know so I can pass that onto them to correct the problem.  As for me as a forum responder,..... don't look for me to answer any further questions you guys have on here.  Nothing personal but emailing me about this stuff is much more professional as Lee and many others have done instead of acting like you know it all and have done it all and expect me to greet you with a coke and a smile.  Again .......guys that want specs feel free to reach out to me in a professional manner and you will get a professional response.   Come at me like goons and you will be dealt with as such.  It's human nature.   Thanks for taking you time to reach out to me like an adult Lee...... can't wait to see the pics of the Bear you knock on its ass with the .375 Reaper ™!

Enjoy your weekend. ....
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#13]
It is a totally legitimate question to have when several of us who have spent a good portion of our lives reloading for wildcats in the AR15 ask what the rated pressures are for a cartridge this fat, that is still stuck within the diameter constraints of the AR15.

Granted, as the bore to case dia. ratio increases, it allows faster powders pushing heavy bullets, but there still is a point when you exceed hoop stress.

The capabilities listed surely are impressive, but customers are going to want to know the product is safe and has longevity.  As a comparison, I went and looked at .450 Bushmaster and .50 Beowulf numbers, and here is what I found:

16" .450 Bushmaster
SAAMI MAP is 38,500psi  SAAMI Pressure Data
240gr Hornady XTP max load 40.6gr of H 110...2300fps
250gr FTX max load of 40.4gr of WIN 296.........2200fps

16" .50 Beowulf
35,000psi MAP
300gr XTP or FTX max load of 44.5gr of H 110..1900fps

Since the .375 Reaper is ever so slightly necked down, it basically behaves like a straight-walled case.  If you are sticking to the same pressure limitations of about 35,000psi, I do see that reaching 2478fps with 195gr and 200gr projectiles from 16" might not be that far of a stretch.

Looking forward to more numbers.  The bolt strength can be addressed with very tight QC on certain alloys and stringent processes, but there are real hoop stress limitations if we stay stuck in the AR15.  Right now, it looks like your numbers may be ok.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks Lee.....
nonetheless, as a business owner I take alot of criticism, I'm used to it and really tired of the forums.  Everyone gets their panties in a bunch over the smallest things and it's actually pretty comical to watch.  As a 35 year old Retired Army Veteran I've seen my fair share in life and don't expect anything to come easy.   This endeavor is no different. ..... it's easy to hide behind a keyboard and pass judgment.  Not everyone will see it the way you do in life and the internet world of text and Internet is emotionless so it's hard to get your point across without sounding like an ass sometimes.  
As for my attitude,  that has been spearheaded unfortunately by guys who think they know all there is to know about weapons and apparently have aerospace engineering degrees...I dunno.   Just how it comes off....

but using Young manufacturing parts and X-Caliber barrels are definitely not piss poor quality if so please let know so I can pass that onto them to correct the problem.  As for me as a forum responder,..... don't look for me to answer any further questions you guys have on here.  Nothing personal but emailing me about this stuff is much more professional as Lee and many others have done instead of acting like you know it all and have done it all and expect me to greet you with a coke and a smile.  Again .......guys that want specs feel free to reach out to me in a professional manner and you will get a professional response.   Come at me like goons and you will be dealt with as such.  It's human nature.   Thanks for taking you time to reach out to me like an adult Lee...... can't wait to see the pics of the Bear you knock on its ass with the .375 Reaper ™!

Enjoy your weekend. ....
View Quote

When you post on a forum what do you expect to get for responses when you won't just come out and give details?  You can't dangle a carrot in from of tens of thousands of people and then get upset when people are mean to you  As many new and exciting products are promised every year and never pan out what do you expect?  Businesses can claim whatever they want but if your not willing to back them up or come out with some basic info then people will be skeptical.  Look at the recent debacle with Tac-Con and their trigger.  

You also have to realize a lot of people like to do research on forums and websites without actually contacting the business in person.  Whether it is because they don't have time or are doing initial research you have to realize if someone would be searching the web and come across this thread then all they are going to see is almost no specific details on what they are getting and you coming across very unprofessionally.  You might be great to talk to on the phone or in person and quick to respond to emails, but that is only part of the equation.

As for quality Young Manufacturing is top notch, but X-Caliber is pretty unproven from what I've been able to find and if they are the former McGowan then I've heard some bad dealing with QC and customer service.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#15]
In my live-fire high pressure tests of big bore AR's (9 different calibers since 1998), the bolt lugs have always failed before the barrel tennon.  With identical cases, bolt failure is more likely, the further the case is necked down.  I have no scientific calculations to back up these results....only live-fire test experience.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In my live-fire high pressure tests of big bore AR's (9 different calibers since 1998), the bolt lugs have always failed before the barrel tennon.  With identical cases, bolt failure is more likely, the further the case is necked down.  I have no scientific calculations to back up these results....only live-fire test experience.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

View Quote

This is a good point in that whatever the marketing shtick on this or that cartridge/rifle is, the proof will be in the shooting and if there are bugs in the design, production process, materials,,etc, it'll all come out in the end.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Tony Rumore
Tromix

View Quote

Tony is a great example to live up to as far as someone who is willing to give any information he has, and I have never seen a snarky remark out of this guy posted on any of the many forums he frequents. Thank you Tony. Always have your ear to the ground looking for what is new! I like that you never stop researching, and giving up valuable information to the rest of the shooting/gunsmith community.  Your comments are always valued. I need to send some good beer out your way sometime.
The idea that the bolt will release before a tennon no matter what the diameter is, and that this phenomenon increases with the reduction of bore diameter first hand I would imagine would be common knowledge, but the WSSM's seem to have hoop stress issues before the bolt lets loose from what I have" read." I have no personal experience to give on the matter. But, this reduced diameter from a 308 case may alleviate that issue, and with the proper bolt opens the market to other wildcats. Like I said earlier, I would be very interested in what one could do with this design necked down to a 6.5. A 6.5 Creedmoor short perhaps that has the advantage of using a fast powder to get the pressure and velocity back up. You will never get the velocity of the Creedmoor, but may nip at is heels in the 123 grain bullets. The smaller cases have all been done in the AR-15 platform, but the 308 based cartridge shortened  would be fun to play around with, and see where it could go. Even if this was chambered in .358 a more common size of bullet there would be high potential for this to take off due to the availability of bullets, and selection. If done right it could make the x39, and 6.8 based wildcats irreverent.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Tony Rumore
Tromix
View Quote

Thanks for the data points from your experience.  The question I have is, if we have reached a point where lugs are failing under over-pressured loads, what does the chamber wall look like?  Do we just assume all is well because only the bolt broke, or do we stop and take measurements of the chamber?

I'm reading some material right now on the .450 BM where the author claims that pressures way in excess of the SAAMI are totally ok, that lawyers won the debate over it, so the .450 BM is loaded to much lower pressures as a result.  The claim is that Bernoulli's Principle allows you to push straight walled cases with higher pressures versus bottle necked cases, especially when it comes to bolt thrust. I am very skeptical of this in terms of chamber pressure and wall thickness, since there are bolt gun examples being used mixed in with a cartridge that was meant to be fired in the AR15.

For those interested in necking down these cases using .473" bolts in a standard AR15 barrel extension and chamber wall thickness, I can tell you that there are people already working on fatter parent cases that had to go to a larger barrel extension/wall thickness, as well as a different upper receiver because of hoop stress and bolt thrust.

This whole topic is kinda making me interested in a big bore AR15 now for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This whole topic is kinda making me interested in a big bore AR15 now for some reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony Rumore
Tromix

love playing around with the 50 Beowulf, and Tony is producing 458 Socom barrels now that are reasonable in cost...and available. I only went with the Beo (Saturn Barrel) because I could not find a 458 barrel to save my life. Try one for yourself. I wont let my big bore go.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm thinking about a totally different route that would take all the apprehension with AR15 diameters out of the equation, while still having a very lightweight gun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about a totally different route that would take all the apprehension with AR15 diameters out of the equation, while still having a very lightweight gun.
View Quote

I know that was a teaser.

I'll bite.

Quit acting like Whiskey3 and give us the deal.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm a sucker for chicks who tease
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Tony is a great example to live up to as far as someone who is willing to give any information he has, and I have never seen a snarky remark out of this guy posted on any of the many forums he frequents. Thank you Tony. Always have your ear to the ground looking for what is new! I like that you never stop researching, and giving up valuable information to the rest of the shooting/gunsmith community.  Your comments are always valued. I need to send some good beer out your way sometime.
The idea that the bolt will release before a tennon no matter what the diameter is, and that this phenomenon increases with the reduction of bore diameter first hand I would imagine would be common knowledge, but the WSSM's seem to have hoop stress issues before the bolt lets loose from what I have" read." I have no personal experience to give on the matter. But, this reduced diameter from a 308 case may alleviate that issue, and with the proper bolt opens the market to other wildcats. Like I said earlier, I would be very interested in what one could do with this design necked down to a 6.5. A 6.5 Creedmoor short perhaps that has the advantage of using a fast powder to get the pressure and velocity back up. You will never get the velocity of the Creedmoor, but may nip at is heels in the 123 grain bullets. The smaller cases have all been done in the AR-15 platform, but the 308 based cartridge shortened  would be fun to play around with, and see where it could go. Even if this was chambered in .358 a more common size of bullet there would be high potential for this to take off due to the availability of bullets, and selection. If done right it could make the x39, and 6.8 based wildcats irreverent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony Rumore
Tromix

A shortened 6.5 Creedmoor in a AR15 is being done with H's 270ar and a 257 version is in the works
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A shortened 6.5 Creedmoor in a AR15 is being done with H's 270ar and a 257 version is in the works
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony Rumore
Tromix

I have been watching the development over on the 6.8 forum. So far I have not been impressed with accuracy. I like the concept, but as you have seen from several of my other posts I am not a fan of the caliber. Just not my preference. I really wish Harrison did not get such a bad reception on the 6.5 forum, and would do more with that caliber in mind. The six5 he is about to produce just does not offer much of a performance increase other than what you can get by increasing pressure due to the 6.8 bolt being used. Now if the 270 AR is necked down to 6.5 my money would be on it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have been watching the development over on the 6.8 forum. So far I have not been impressed with accuracy. I like the concept, but as you have seen from several of my other posts I am not a fan of the caliber. Just not my preference. I really wish Harrison did not get such a bad reception on the 6.5 forum, and would do more with that caliber in mind. The six5 he is about to produce just does not offer much of a performance increase other than what you can get by increasing pressure due to the 6.8 bolt being used. Now if the 270 AR is necked down to 6.5 my money would be on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony Rumore
Tromix

working on that
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I just want to clear up a lie that's spreading on the 458 socom forum. By someone who will not be named but is friends with and has defended Will Hayden. This should have been a red flag to this man's integrity but giving out customers information seals it. John never at anytime used a socom bolt to test the 375reaper, it was purchased merely to see if it could potentially be used. A 6.8 bolt was used for testing because of pressure, with 308 cases that had a lathe turned rebated rim. Also understand he only compares to the 300 blackout to illustrate the same conversation process with higher energy levels, not to bash this cartridge. One last thing John is already working on more Reaper calibers the 6.5mm,7mm,30,338,358,408 and 416 Reaper.
</a>" />
</a>" />

Edited to add 416
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Your very first post:

We are here to join the party.......if there's any questions about anything let us know!!
John Culpepper "U.S . Army Ret."
Whiskey 3 Precision Systems
View Quote

^^^^^^^^^ Naturally, people DID have questions.

all that is needed is a barrel and bolt swap. If you don't buy the bolt from us that's cool too because any .458 socom bolt will work as well.
View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^ But NOW…..you have a proprietary bolt and even suggest that the SOCOM bolt is a weak design (it isn’t) and might not hold up (over time) if used with the Reaper. See below:

Young Manufacturing and I collaborating on a new proprietary bolt design that is heavy duty in the right places that's what. I was running a plain jane .458 socom bolt when I designed this cartridge but even I know that's not enough. It's weak even for pushing that low pressure cartridge. This cartridge is no different and because it too increased bore size and decreased pressures, we can run that bolt as well. But will it stand the test of time and would I want to put my name on it? Heck no! I redesigned it and made it better and warranty it 100%
View Quote

As concerns chamber pressure, if you can provide us with some credible (read TESTED) figures, it would go a long way toward satisfying the skeptics. You previously wrote (but have not offered any NEW information):

I
dunno who said it was submitted to Sammi because it wasn't me and is probably some sidebar from someone else. I was told that by Dave Kiff that he had someone that would be able to assist me in submitting it if I wanted to do do so. I am not interested in doing so what so ever submitting anything to SAMMI .....I am having pressure trace testing done by someone in the industry
View Quote

Then…. when folks have legitimate doubts or push for clarification you seemingly become defensive and respond like this:

Keep making me look better and yourself look worse dude......I have the video posted on you tube.....the proof is there. No tricks....no bull shit. I know I wasn't high when I created this cartridge and "Haters Like you make me famous"! Keep talking about it and pushing the agenda like you know everything there is to know and when you can show me that you have undertaken a task as I have .....let me know.
View Quote

Continued next post:

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#28]
OR:  
It stands on it own 2 feet Right Now and I could give crap less what the critics think they know. They weren't there....nor were they there when it was conceived. When they under take a task as I have and do something even remotely close then we can talk. Here's something to think about guys and not directed at Ronn.... " Haters make me Famous" Proves a very valid point. ...thanks for the exposure fellas....much abliged!!
Whiskey 3 out........
View Quote

And then there is the inference that the bulk of the people (that responded), must not be capable of understanding your position or product. I mean…really, who are all these dimwits? Thank God, a couple of folks were able to redeem the rest of us, huh?  See Below:

Finally someone who gets the science.......
Finally someone who gets what QUALITY means when it comes to ensuring a durable and combat ready product.
View Quote

Lastly:

As for me as a forum responder,..... don't look for me to answer any further questions you guys have on here.
View Quote

^^^^^^^^ Maybe it’s just me, but it would seem like a poor time to “take your ball and go home”.  If you read back over the entire thread, I think you will find a skeptical overtone with questions that were only marginally addressed (and that is being charitable).

Personally, I hope you are right and that your product succeeds. I would however….recommend you find someone to market your product….as that does not appear to be your strongest talent.

I would also encourage you to try to salvage what you have started here, so it doesn’t reflect poorly on your efforts later on.

Good luck to you Sir,

Flint.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Personally, I hope you are right and that your product succeeds. I would however….recommend you find someone to market your product….as that does appear to be your strongest talent.

I would also encourage you to try to salvage what you have started here, so it doesn’t reflect poorly on your efforts later on.

Good luck to you Sir,

Flint.
[/span]
View Quote

Thanks Flint........
of course cold crow isn't that great to swallow but I'm here only for intelligent conversation
.  Not here to debate what someone's opinion is about the engineering side of it ect.   As for the reference to the decade old .473 case head bolts that are used for calibers like .458 socom, they indeed will work.  We have used them to test functionality but that was it.  Can we make a guarantee that it will hold up??  No we cannot......as for the attention we are getting for the attitude .....I truly apologize.   Being under the gun and trying to protect your trade secrets and protect your creation to a point due to the very well known industry cut throats has taken a toll on us and I am sorry for the condescending tone.   We have 2 companies....very well known try and steal the design early on and it brought us to a new realization that limited information needed to be filtered out until everything had been dealt with properly.  Again.....we aren't here to argue...or get into a picker measuring contest and I will not address anyone who brings more drama to the table.   Any questions asked will be addressed as we get time.   We are going to be busy between the shop and on the road on demos and magazine articles for the next few months and will get to it as we can.  And of course you can always shoot us an email at [email protected]

Regards,

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Can we get some videos of these feeding from a full mag? Either rapid semi or full auto. I think that's a big selling point of this over alternatives, but other 473 case head cartridges usually only feed from mags like the 15 round pri 6.8 mags (at reduced capacity).
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Can we get some videos of these feeding from a full mag? Either rapid semi or full auto. I think that's a big selling point of this over alternatives, but other 473 case head cartridges usually only feed from mags like the 15 round pri 6.8 mags (at reduced capacity).
View Quote

We were already working on that and Chaos 311 Clarity drove down from Pennsylvania and we just wrapped up that video with slow motion video ect with the full mag dump, as well as penetration tests from the projectiles we are using from Lehigh Defense whome we are working very closely with in the development of the high quality projectiles that they are known for, specifically for the .375 Reaper ™ cartridge.    You won't be disappointed. .....

also,  the  Lancer Systems L5 AWM Advanced Warfighter Magazine AR-15 223  seem to be the most reliable and do cut the 30 round capacity on the 5.56 magazines to 15-16 but function flawlessly without any modification.    We are playing with the 6.5 Grendel mags from C products which are very reasonable in price and will more than likely get even more mag capacity.  

Note:   5.56 standard magazines do work........you have to modify them a tad to make it reliable such as cut the spring about 2 inches.......and slightly cut the front of the mag with a Dremel or file to raise the bullets a touch higher over the front of the body of the magazine.    With standard PMAGS you do the same and take the front rib out by filing it down.   To avoid this ....just by tan or clear or whatever color Lancer magazines if you have to have polymer mags.   Again we are going to test the 6.5 Grendel mags from c products only because I know they are darn near 100 % reliable in the cartridge and should work well for the .375 Reaper ™ cartridge also.

hope this helps...
Regards,
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:35:18 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll try this question quoted from my earlier post one more time because I really am curious about it.

"Military personnel from Ft Benning have been mentioned several times now.

Is the firing being done on a military range? What involvement would military personnel have with this round? Or is the shooting being done on a range nearby and mil personnel just happen to be observing.

What possible military application would a round like this have?"

Also, I was under the impression that AR15 5.56 mags could be used as-is.  I don't think you specifically said so.  I didn't realize they would have to be cobbled on or Rub Goldberg'ed tho it makes sense in light of the significant cartridge dimensional differences.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'll try this question quoted from my earlier post one more time because I really am curious about it.
View Quote

I'll answer the question again......because it's been answered already.  The military personnel witnessing it was done at AMU ' S range at Fort Benning....they have no personal interest in it but SOCOM does, due to the lack of kinetic energy the 300 aac offers....and the loss of mag capacity and lack of range the .458 offers as well .458 socom is way over priced on all fronts for components .   The firing that was done back then was done by one of the marksmanship units Retired gunsmiths and competitive shooters. .. Pat Felix.   He was doing the tests as a placebo par say, Because of all of the grief the keyboard commandos have been giving us with this cartridge.   Magazines need to be played/ altered with if they are standard 5.56 mags. ....that's a given for any other cartridge than 5.56.   But you can run a standard 5.56 mag if you want with no modification. ....you just won't get that many in there if you don't modify it.

Continued below..........

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#34]
At this point no placebo is needed.   It stands on its own 2 feet and after our demo for the military and LE guys in Marble falls Texas for the Noctober Event, this past weekend with the invite from Armasight and them on board, we have no doubts this cartridge will be apart of the shooter community for yrs to come.   We also are working on 6mm...6.5mm. ..7mm...257..30 cal ...338 ..358 and 408 caliber versions of the Reaper ™ cartridge on the same 308 parent case.   These will be released at SHOT show as it looks now.  

Hope that answers your questions.....
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, thanks much.  I hope it works out for you.  The cartridge looks really interesting.  We kill quite a few bear and it as I mentioned earlier would make a good houndsman's gun in a light carbine.  The "standard" here now is the Marlin .444.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I am more than interested in that .338 Reaper.  

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
At this point no placebo is needed.   It stands on its own 2 feet and after our demo for the military and LE guys in Marble falls Texas for the Noctober Event, this past weekend with the invite from Armasight and them on board, we have no doubts this cartridge will be apart of the shooter community for yrs to come.   We also are working on 6mm...6.5mm. ..7mm...257..30 cal ...338 ..358 and 408 caliber versions of the Reaper ™ cartridge on the same 308 parent case.   These will be released at SHOT show as it looks now.  

View Quote

How much shorter are the cases then the 270ar @ 1.646 are these ? might be intrested in the 6mm version
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

How did yall do a demo for them if the guns wouldnt cycle?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

dunno where you got that info from, we did have a hiccup due to us putting together 3 more guns for the event and they had smaller gas ports drilled in the barrel by mistake from x-caliber.  I drilled them out and they ran fine.....as I've said before Cody.   I'll see you in Vegas.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How much shorter are the cases then the 270ar @ 1.646 are these ? might be intrested in the 6mm version
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just shorter than the 270 AR cartridge. .....we will have the dimensions for you all soon.   Case length on the the .375 Reaper ™ cartridge is 1.44 just so you know a solid reference
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

dunno where you got that info from, we did have a hiccup due to us putting together 3 more guns for the event and they had smaller gas ports drilled in the barrel by mistake from x-caliber.  I drilled them out and they ran fine.....as I've said before Cody.   I'll see you in Vegas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From your buddy. I was at the event. I was talking to him while you were tearing down an upper and I was looking over the bolt when they blew the 15 minute horn so I jumped over and shot that stage before we had to rotate. I came back later after I went through all the stages to talk to Aaron and the Armasight rep, after I was through with them you were gone. The lehigh 375 bullets did look pretty badass. Wish you wouldve had a working gun while I was there to try. The barrels did look to have a good fit and finish to them but I honestly didnt see any dimension changes that your guy was showing us over the tromix bolt he had but I didnt bring my calipers since I didnt even know yall were there til I walked out of the pre-shoot meeting.

Do yall have any 5/8-32 threaded barrels? May bring my vers50 to SHOT if you do.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#42]
From your buddy. I was at the event. I was talking to him while you were tearing down an upper and I was looking over the bolt when they blew the 15 minute horn so I jumped over and shot that stage before we had to rotate. I came back later after I went through all the stages to talk to Aaron and the Armasight rep, after I was through with them you were gone. The lehigh 375 bullets did look pretty badass. Wish you wouldve had a working gun while I was there to try. The barrels did look to have a good fit and finish to them but I honestly didnt see any dimension changes that your guy was showing us over the tromix bolt he had but I didnt bring my calipers since I didnt even know yall were there til I walked out of the pre-shoot meeting.

Do yall have any 5/8-32 threaded barrels? May bring my vers50 to SHOT if you do.
View Quote

Well hell man why didn't you call me or email me and let me know you were coming, Or tell me you were there?  I would have gone outta my way to make sure you could have shot it. I had to grab chow I think about that same time and my brother was gone grabbing chow too I think when that happened, I dunno.  Total last minute fluke with the new port in the 3 of 4 barrels.  But as far as the bolt goes we had an other companies bolt there for comparison and it's quite obvious. Most guys noticed it off the bat.. As well its a heavy wall in the bolt face an wider lug...not longer. I didn't mean to miss speak previous. Aaron shot the gun an a bunch of other guys did as well, they liked it alot. Videos of it being shot on our FB page. The Lehigh Defense bullets are available for sale as well. Talked to Dave Fricke today and he said it will be by request and possibly added to the normal web order side in the near future. As far as threads, due to liability issues we have to have a different thread it's 11/16 x 24. But I can do what ever for a test gun and I will have a suppressor at SHOT if that's what you wanna run. Call me sometime man.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Like I said, I didnt know yall were going to be there til I walked out of the pre-shoot brief and the first stage my group shot was the one Aaron and Armasight were set up on. When I walked up to talk to Aaron thats when I noticed your partner wearing the reaper shirt. I wanted to check out Steiners new scope line before it got dark because I want their 5-25. I checked out their stuff(their new range finding binoculars are sweet) then talked to armasight rep some more then started checking out your barrels you had laying on the table.

I suppose I was expecting a bigger difference in the "meat" of the bolt to allow so much more pressure. It did look to be typical young mfg quality and you could tell the rim of the bolt face had slightly more meat on it than the tromix bolt. Im surprised yall didnt go to a bolt and barrel extension similar to Harrisons 800 series.

Will yall be coming to http://www.texasgunfest.com in a couple weeks? Ill be out there too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Like I said, I didnt know yall were going to be there til I walked out of the pre-shoot brief and the first stage my group shot was the one Aaron and Armasight were set up on. When I walked up to talk to Aaron thats when I noticed your partner wearing the reaper shirt. I wanted to check out Steiners new scope line before it got dark because I want their 5-25. I checked out their stuff(their new range finding binoculars are sweet) then talked to armasight rep some more then started checking out your barrels you had laying on the table.

I suppose I was expecting a bigger difference in the "meat" of the bolt to allow so much more pressure. It did look to be typical young mfg quality and you could tell the rim of the bolt face had slightly more meat on it than the tromix bolt. Im surprised yall didnt go to a bolt and barrel extension similar to Harrisons 800 series.

Will yall be coming to http://www.texasgunfest.com in a couple weeks? Ill be out there too.
View Quote

well as far as pressures go we aren't getting any indication we need the Harrison 800 series extension. And the Bolt is just a guarantee we have Zero failures and is 100% guaranteed by Young Manufacturing and us.  The pressures are alot less than you realize especially with a 5R 1:8 twist barrel.
As far as the Texas Gun Fest....I haven't been invited to that.  We would go if the invite was extended of course.   Aaron and Armasight personally invited us down for that Noctober event and even the great Charlie Sisk is impressed with what we are doing.   We had lunch on Saturday with him and some past operators and Armasight before the event.    
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:Manufacturing and us.  The pressures are alot less than you realize especially with a 5R 1:8 twist barrel.
View Quote

I'm curious:  Why a 1/8 twist in a .375?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Manufacturing and us.  The pressures are alot less than you realize especially with a 5R 1:8 twist barrel.

have you done any twist rate figures for the velocity spectrum that this cartridge runs??   Sub and super sonic?   We of course have, and you have to have a faster twist rate to stabilize heavy subs and the light weight supers.   When you go into a production barrel just as 300 blackout did you have to find the happy medium for all weights being ran.   This is no different. ....if it was super sonic only you could slow it down some......but it's a versatile barrel twist rate to do either /or...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:45:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

have you done any twist rate figures for the velocity spectrum that this cartridge runs??   Sub and super sonic?   We of course have, and you have to have a faster twist rate to stabilize heavy subs and the light weight supers.   When you go into a production barrel just as 300 blackout did you have to find the happy medium for all weights being ran.   This is no different. ....if it was super sonic only you could slow it down some......but it's a versatile barrel twist rate to do either /or...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, a while back I did do some calculations for 9.3 and .375 rifles and 220 to 300 grain weight bullets, rifles I have shot and hunted with for many years and killed literally tons of animals with as well..  No subsonic calculations because I have no use for such speeds.  That's all immaterial, tho, as I am not selling any rifles.  You are.  And as usual you answer an honest question {not a criticism by the way} with an attitude that sucks.  You really must go out of your way to act like an ass to potential customers, don't you?

Folks, this guy doesn't learn, does he?

I think I'm about done with this thread and your products, like others, no doubt.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well, a while back I did do some calculations for 9.3 and .375 rifles and 220 to 300 grain weight bullets, rifles I have shot and hunted with for many years and killed literally tons of animals with as well..  No subsonic calculations because I have no use for such speeds.  That's all immaterial, tho, as I am not selling any rifles.  You are.  And as usual you answer an honest question {not a criticism by the way} with an attitude that sucks.  You really must go out of your way to act like an ass to potential customers, don't you?

I think I'm about done with this thread and your products, like others, no doubt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hum , I real didn't see a attitude from him
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.  Must be my bad.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

again. ....dunno where you get this "Attitude" from but I believe you are reading it the way you want to perceive it to suit you own agenda maybe??!!   You and many othes.....
this was no way being an ass.....more like indulging in giving you a correct and intelligent answer you obviously didn't for see? ??!!   Dunno....don't care.   Sorry you take everything folks say as being a smart ass.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top