Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2014 6:30:57 PM EDT
I recently purchased a gen 2 hunter primarily for hunting.  Previously I bought a 16 inch .308 AR for this role and was unhappy both with the accuracy of that firearm and the velocity from the short barrel.  I went with the short barrel to save weight, when the G2's came out I thought I would give them a shot.  The hunter comes with a 20 inch barrel and the whole rifle weighs in less than the 16 inch AR that I previously had.  It handles very well.  Rifle sports a Burris mount with a Nikon Monarch 4-12.

Trigger is good for an AR, not as nice as my Geissele but not bad.  I have around 150 rounds through the rifle with no malfunctions of any kind.  All handloads, ranging from softpoints, hollowpoints, and ballistic tips.  The recoil is very manageable for a .308, more of a push than a sharp kick.  Velocity is on par with my 24 inch bolt gun.  165 grain loads on the upper end push 2,650.  155 grain hollow points clocked around 2,750, 1 grain below max. Accuracy is very good when you find the right nodes.  Just under 1 MOA with the right load, unfavorable loads group around 1.5 to 2 inches.  Rifle ejects brass to the  3 o'clock position consistently, and is not hard on brass.  Below are some groups.  The 5 shot group was shot today with 165 grain Sierra Game Kings under a charge of IMR 4895.  The three shot groups were shot today with 180 grain Nosler Ballisitic Tips during a latter test with BLC2.  All posted are around 1 MOA, some a little less, some a little more.  Targets were all shot at 100 yards. Should be a great deer gun!

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#1]
thx for sharing

Sir, since you ahavea fixed stock  model, some of us have been wondering the length of the buffer.  Could you please measure it for us, w/ a mic preferably, the lenght I mean.  

Thx
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like so far so good. Everything from the SHOT Show about the Hunter model being the best balanced were spot on when I got to handle one. Keep us posted!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#3]
How fast were those 180 grain  Noslers running?  I keep reading good reviews about the hunter.  I will grab one this summer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Great review.  I saw this gun at the NRA Convention today and really liked it
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#5]
very nice
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't run the 180's over the chrono yet.  Next time I'm out I will and update the thread.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top