Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 9:12:57 AM EDT
I am probably only going to buy one AR in my life. I have always had expensive taste in firearms. Quality and customer service usually follow high dollar items. At first I was trying to stay under 3k but after much research I am now leaning towards the 16'' REPR with the spiral fluted barrel in Patriot Brown . I like to buy things once and not have to worry about the longevity, part of the reason I almost exclusively own 1911's. My questions is, is the REPR a solid choice when taking all things into consideration? I want this tool to reliably perform for a long time. I will predominantly be punching paper and keeping her around to have range fun and in case SHTF.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am probably only going to buy one AR in my life. I have always had expensive taste in firearms. Quality and customer service usually follow high dollar items. At first I was trying to stay under 3k but after much research I am now leaning towards the 16'' REPR with the spiral fluted barrel in Patriot Brown . I like to buy things once and not have to worry about the longevity, part of the reason I almost exclusively own 1911's. My questions is, is the REPR a solid choice when taking all things into consideration? I want this tool to reliably perform for a long time. I will predominantly be punching paper and keeping her around to have range fun and in case SHTF.
View Quote

Good luck with that, they're like friggin potato chips.

On a more serious note, I'd personally go with a 5.56 AR as a "one and only" due to ammo costs.

With any quality AR you're looking at a 15-20,000 rd barrel/bolt life (depending on firing schedule). Knights, Noveske, Colt, Daniel Defense, LWRC, HK, LMT, LaRue are the top of the gun industry. All have quality components, all will last forever considering most people do very little shooting with them. Otherwise you're looking at periodic maintenance (buffer spring, extractor and ejectors components) and major rebuild (barrel and bolt) at 10-20K rds.

I'd really look  into your other options before dropping $3K+ on a REPR. There are some seriously nice rifles that will cost 1/2-2/3rds of a REPR, will be less expensive to feed, and much more versatile. The cost savings will also help you set it up with an optic and light.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

On a more serious note, I'd personally go with a 5.56 AR as a "one and only" due to ammo costs.

With any quality AR you're looking at a 15-20,000 rd barrel/bolt life (depending on firing schedule). Knights, Noveske, Colt, Daniel Defense, LWRC, HK, LMT, LaRue are the top of the gun industry. All have quality components, all will last forever considering most people do very little shooting with them. Otherwise you're looking at periodic maintenance (buffer spring, extractor and ejectors components) and major rebuild (barrel and bolt) at 10-20K rds.

I'd really look  into your other options before dropping $3K+ on a REPR. There are some seriously nice rifles that will cost 1/2-2/3rds of a REPR, will be less expensive to feed, and much more versatile. The cost savings will also help you set it up with an optic and light.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I am open to suggestions. I prefer to stay in the .308 market. I am going to eventually buy a ton of ammo no matter what I buy. I was initially looking at a CMMG MK3 CBR, which is by no means out of the question. I will probably end up going with the CMMG but the REPR just keeps catching my attention everywhere I turn.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Why 308?

I was going to give the same advice as the other poster which is you may want to consider a 556 rifle.  I have a REPR which I absolutely love but at the end of the day, I keep coming back to the following conclusion.  The REPR is a heavy beast and in a real SHTF situation it will not be my first choice because of its weight... And I have a 12.7" model.  Mine tips the scales at well over 12lbs with an SDN6, Mark6 1-6 scope and weapon light.

I have personally settled on a 300BLK rifle for my needs... 7lbs with Mystic, Aimpoint and weapon light.  Add less than .5 lbs for magnifier as needed.

ETA.... With $3k, you can buy just about any top shelf 556 or 300BLK AR plus still pay for a suppressor and optics.  I would definitely reconsider the 308.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why 308?

I was going to give the same advice as the other poster which is you may want to consider a 556 rifle.  I have a REPR which I absolutely love but at the end of the day, I keep coming back to the following conclusion.  The REPR is a heavy beast and in a real SHTF situation it will not be my first choice because of its weight... And I have a 12.7" model.  Mine tips the scales at well over 12lbs with an SDN6, Mark6 1-6 scope and weapon light.

I have personally settled on a 300BLK rifle for my needs... 7lbs with Mystic, Aimpoint and weapon light.  Add less than .5 lbs for magnifier as needed.

ETA.... With $3k, you can buy just about any top shelf 556 or 300BLK AR plus still pay for a suppressor and optics.  I would definitely reconsider the 308.
View Quote

This is why I came here for advice. Everything you guys are saying is making sense. I am going to start digging into their 556 offerings.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]
if youre willing to wait until sunday I'll tell you how the mk3 cbr is, I literally just picked it up and got done putting everything on it 15 minutes ago.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
if youre willing to wait until sunday I'll tell you how the mk3 cbr is, I literally just picked it up and got done putting everything on it 15 minutes ago.
<a href="http://s583.photobucket.com/user/e46m3kid/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140423_170207_zpsi3dczfxu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss271/e46m3kid/Mobile%20Uploads/20140423_170207_zpsi3dczfxu.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice looking weapon! I am still doing my research, a range report on your CMMG would be awesome.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is why I came here for advice. Everything you guys are saying is making sense. I am going to start digging into their 556 offerings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why 308?

Are you hard set on getting a piston system AR, if you dabble in the 5.56 world? If so, the LWRC offerings, and PWS, are two choices I'd suggest you look at. The LWRC is a great short stroke offering, if not one of the best, and the PWS is a long stroke piston design. The PWS also gets by without having to deal with springs to change out, for the piston system. I personally prefer the LWRC but a PWS will be in my safe one day.

If you do end up looking at an LWRC 5.56 offering, look into their IC lineup, fully ambi lower and adjustable gas system.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:39:13 AM EDT
[#8]
i have a REPR. It shoots like a bent barreled buckshot loaded shotgun with NATO. It shoots like a laser beam with FGMM. Welcome to $1.25/rd ammo if you go that route.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:48:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd look at a JP LRP 07 or GAP 10.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:02:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately a lot of advise consist of "I would buy this" or "I like this" or "ammo costs are too high for a 7.62" or "don't buy that, get this instead" and so on. You know your budget and need to decide what your preferences are. There are a lot of good rifles out here. Spending more just means a higher investment and more value later on. I suggest taking your time, get the information about different rifles, go out and compare the different models(weight, balance, features, how it fits), and then make your choice on what you want. The odds are that your decision will be the right one for you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Unfortunately a lot of advise consist of "I would buy this" or "I like this" or "ammo costs are too high for a 7.62" or "don't buy that, get this instead" and so on. You know your budget and need to decide what your preferences are. There are a lot of good rifles out here. Spending more just means a higher investment and more value later on. I suggest taking your time, get the information about different rifles, go out and compare the different models(weight, balance, features, how it fits), and then make your choice on what you want. The odds are that your decision will be the right one for you.
View Quote

I appreciate the real world knowledge of the people that do own different types and I am happy to hear everyone's input and make my own informed decision. 556 is supremely more economical in the long run, whether I can afford this or that. I think I am going to buzz down to the NRA show this weekend and put my hands on a bunch of different rifles. I am still leaning pretty heavy towards LWRC, got my eye on the M6-IC-SPR. It looks like a bad ass weapon and it will still leave me good money for glass, ammo, mags, a case, and probably a light and a vertical grip. I am going to do some serious work in Indy at the NRA show and probably make my final decision after I get my hands on different weapons.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I appreciate the real world knowledge of the people that do own different types and I am happy to hear everyone's input and make my own informed decision. 556 is supremely more economical in the long run, whether I can afford this or that. I think I am going to buzz down to the NRA show this weekend and put my hands on a bunch of different rifles. I am still leaning pretty heavy towards LWRC, got my eye on the M6-IC-SPR. It looks like a bad ass weapon and it will still leave me good money for glass, ammo, mags, a case, and probably a light and a vertical grip. I am going to do some serious work in Indy at the NRA show and probably make my final decision after I get my hands on different weapons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good call. I've only heard good things about the IC and SPRs.

Having fired the REPR, I love it, but no way would it be my only AR. You're looking at twice the ammo cost for .308 over 5.56 and unless you really have the space to stretch it's legs it's not going to bring you anything but cost. it also has a proprietary upper (as do most .308 ARs) so if you want to change something, you can't.

With the 5.56 LWRCs you're still using a standard AR lower and you can change uppers like socks as you feel like it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I plan on doing the same thing, going to a gunshow this weekend and seeing what is available. I am fortunate enough to already have a half dozen AR's (two are 308's) and all are different brands. If I find something that fits, then I will be adding another. LWRC is definitely on the radar.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Luckily I work from home so I have plenty of time to do research. I am 99% sure the M6-IC-SPR is going to be the one. Either FDE or Patriot Brown in color. Aimpoint H1, vertical grip, and whatever my local rifle shop recommends for a sling, a bag and a flashlight.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Luckily I work from home so I have plenty of time to do research. I am 99% sure the M6-IC-SPR is going to be the one. Either FDE or Patriot Brown in color. Aimpoint H1, vertical grip, and whatever my local rifle shop recommends for a sling, a bag and a flashlight.
View Quote

Either a surefire fury or an m600 ultra for a light.  Vickers or blue force for a sling.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks! I am just going to deck it out now while I have the clearance from the war department.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Previous post about 'laser beam' with match ammo is CORRECT. It would be boringly accurate if it wasn't so freakin amazingly so! Got a POF P-308 16" that's nearly as good and a lot easier to hunt with (my REPR is a 20"). I have two 18" 7.62 OBR's, as well. They're everything you've heard. Not an issue and a ragged hole machines on the range.

The REPR was a surprise. I didn't expect it to shoot like the LaRues but it does. It does.

Who gives a shit about ammo prices. YOLO!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Several comments are very well taken. A 5.56 rifle weighs less and u can carry more ammo in a SHTF situation.The 308 also has significant advantages. I have hands on with the REPR's,  LMT MWS 308, as well as the Colt 901. The same is true with Colt AR's, LMT lowers with Wilson uppers, and an LMT lower with a Larue upper. I respectfully suggest a nice 5.56 rifle as well as a quality 308. Lots of good stuff out there. If ur like me, once u start it's an addiction. This site provides wonderful information. Beware of the fan boys who trash whatever they do not own. I would suggest, however, that with respect to rifles chambered for 308/ 7.62, u purchase weapons that are Magpul friendly. Non Magpul 308 mags can be damned expensive. Also, with respect to 308/7.62 rifles with a fast twist, 1:10,  heavy 168-175gr. match ammo will be required for great accuracy. That shit is high dollar. Good luck shopping. Just remember that at some point it's not a matter of need, it is a matter of want. Hope u are single.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks. I am married and my wife has already been subject to my car and Kimber addiction. I tell hr its better than a drug/alcohol addiction. although this appears to be more expensive than both of them combined. Near debt free living has its advantages. I never make any type of large purchase without doing the proper leg work first. I am going to start with a bitchin 556, from what I have read  LWRC is up there with the best. I am sure/hope that will keep my happy for a while. I will end up with a .308 one day, when or what that will be is another story.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#20]
5.56 is an excellent start. My brother just purchased a Windham 5.56 and I was impressed by the fit, finish, and overall quality. Price was right and it shot well. Between it and a Colt, I would be happy with either. Windham teamed up with POF and now sells a 308 which, from the reviews, is also a very nice rifle at a good price. I don't currently own a Windham but would be happy to have one. Lots of well made rifles out there. For the most part it is blonde v. red head v. Bruenette. There is no longer a shortage of AR's so take ur time making a choice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#21]
OP,
I've done several Ar15 and ar10 builds.  what the earlier poster said about weight is true.  He has a 12.5" REPR w/ a 12 + pound operational weight.  This is true w/ the $1200 dpms or the $5000 KAC 308s.  

I build a 12.5" ar10 thinknig it was going to be best of both worlds, 308 power, 556 handling.  WRONG.  LIke a pig on a stick, w/ optic, suppressor, loaded mag.  

As to ammo cost, even if you are a man of means, you can afford a lot more carbine classes etc w/ 5.56, more practice  shooting >400 and dealing w/ wind, maintaining follow throw in you optic and  adjusting your POI

This guy puts it well:
I KNOW 5.56 kills people, dead. I know 7.62 kills people, dead. I choose 5.56 because it kills people, dead, plus I can carry more of it, meaning, when necessary, I can kill more people, dead. Additionally, because it has less felt recoil, I can kill them faster, because shot-to-shot recovery is faster.
http://mountainguerrilla.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/notes-on-setting-up-the-modern-fighting-rifle/

One AR, lol.  Fat chance.  But if I could really really only have one it would be a close call between:
-a 8-9" barreled 6.8 or 300 blackout PDW type setup, a pistol w/ sig brace so that i could carry it concealed legally in most states if necessary, could travel across state lines w/o NFA form hassle.  Why?  B/c that is a gun I could hunt with, defend the home with (suppressed w/o going deaf), and be useful as a PDW in some sort of SHTF scenario or whatever.  Scenarios where you would ever possibly use your AR in self defense (outside of a home invasion) are admittedly unlikely.  Scenarios where you would ever use an non pistol AR in self defense outside the home, where you would be simultaneously justified in using it and also have immediate access to it, are beyond fanciful.  

300b or 6.8 b/c they are much better terminal ballistics, especially from short barrels, they suppress well, and you could keep your OAL & weight & muzzle blast quite managible w/ a suppressor attached to one of these SBRs.  

As to LWRC being top of the line.  I dunno.  Didn't pat rogers try to run a copule of their piston guns and they both went down while the stoner gas system BCMs keps rocking and rolling w/ the sparsest of cleaning and routine maintenance?  I'm not impressed.  

I'd probably still have to get a 16" upper w/ a super light full length FF tube and a 1x4 optic or a aimpoint and a flip over magnifier.  I'd use the Noveskie N4 double chrome lined cold hammer forged barrel (available at Raineer arms).  For a straight up figting rifle where I don't have to theoretically think about deploying it from concealment or in tight interior corredors, I prefer a 16"   I like to grip it like chris  costa but I need at least   a 16" barrel to do that w/ my long arms.  Anyway, a light 16.5" 556 makes a badassed fighting rifle from 0 to 600 yards.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#22]
also OP, the external ballisitcs of 556 and 308 are very very similar out to 800 yards. Sure the 308 has more energy, but if you hit a guy 500 yards away in thecehst w/ a 556, he might die slower than had he been shot w/ 308, but he  will not being closing the 500 yard gap and killing you.    

The benefit to the 556 for long range is:
-less recoil makes it easeir to view your Point of impact & walk rounds into target at far ranges
-the gun is of reasonable gross weight w/ scope, loaded mag, suppressor etc to still be a fighting cqb type gun.  

yes OP, I would get a "pistol" lower & run one of these three sets of uppers on it:
300 b 8-9" & 16" 556
6.8 in 10.5" and 16"
6.5 g in 11.5" & 18"
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#23]
All awesome info. Thanks and keep it coming!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Split the difference and get a 6.8 if you're concerned with weight and capacity.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As to LWRC being top of the line.  I dunno.  Didn't pat rogers try to run a copule of their piston guns and they both went down while the stoner gas system BCMs keps rocking and rolling w/ the sparsest of cleaning and routine maintenance?  I'm not impressed.  
View Quote

Those were early guns, but I've read him since say that LWRC or HK are now his recommendations for piston guns.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:31:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Those were early guns, but I've read him since say that LWRC or HK are now his recommendations for piston guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.  But let the record sate that the stoner gas system has a piston too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very aware of that. I was speaking in colloquialisms.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#28]
LWRC makes a good rifle. I'm just not a fan of a piston system in this platform when it comes to accuracy.
It probably depends on your expectations.

LWRC = left handed bolt handle. Don't forget about that.

I looked at the new CMMG .308 pictured in the thread. For the components they put on that gun it is a great deal. For me though I'd want to swap out the barrel for something more accurate right out of the box. For the additional money I wanted to get something shooter ready. That's why I went with a Rhino Arms AR-10.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#29]
OP about 6.8 v 300 b.  6.8 is sort of in a whole other power class.  Also note, that even as efficient at 300 b is, 6.8 is at least 100 fps faster ouf of any barrel length w/ any given bullet weight of short barrels all the way down to 8" barrels.  

That being said, having an AR w/ a 8-9" blackout upper and also a 14.5-16" 556 upper is a great set if you dont' want to get too far into proprietary parts/mags/ammo.  300 blackout is, not any kind of competition for 6.5 or 6.8 as a rifle cartridge, but it does pack a helluva lot more punch than 556, especially from shorter barrels, and it is very easy to suppress.  Furhtermore, it is great b/c it can be used as a SMG, controllably shooting subsonics w/ more power than a 45 SMG but quiter and with better external balistics.  And it can go between being a Fabulous SMG and a good compact "assault" rifle all w/o having to fuck around w/ an adjustable gas block even, just w/ ammo swap.  It is really versatile.  

But if you want the best balance of weight to power in a non SBR battle rifle, if you will, an AR in 6.8 w/ 14.5-16" barrel w/ full lnegth handguard is tops.  You can get it below 6 lbs empty w/ sights, below 5 possibly.  

I shoudl point out that the new DPMS GII design 308 is remarkably light.  You can get them below 7lbs empty w/ T1 & BUIS w/ 16" barrel.  But that may not be in the level of quality you are accustomed to.  DPMS is, or traditinally has been, near the bottom of the barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top