Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/21/2014 7:15:11 AM EDT
I'm in the process of building an AR-10 rifle and here is what I have so far

- Barrel: Noveske 16.5", 7.62 Heavy Barrel, Carbine Length Gas System
- Upper: Armalite AR-10 Upper Assembly
- Rail: Wilson Combat TRIM Rail, Armalite, 14"
- BCG: Armalite AR10 BCG w/ Forward Assist
- Lower: Armalite AR10 Lower (B Pattern)

I have a few questions

1. Since the Noveske barrel does not come with a gas tube, I'm unsure of which carbine gas tube to purchase?
 - Carbine tube: 9 7/8" long
 - Carbine tube shorty: 9 3/4" long

2. I would like to use the Magpul UBR butt stock on my build. Is this the correct buffer and spring to get?
 - .308 Carbine Buffer
 - AR-10 Buffer Spring

Apologies in advance if this has been covered. I did some searches and had a difficult time getting an answer to these questions.

UPDATE: 5-28-2014

The Noveske 7.62 has been completed. Here is what she looks like now.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 9-7/8" is the most common carbine gas tube, either will work though.

That is the correct .308 carbine buffer but if your using a UBR you need the .308 DPMS carbine buffer spring. The spring you have linked is for the AR10 buffer tubes which are longer than the UBR (AR-15) buffer tubes.
View Quote

Thank you for the response! This helps me tremendously.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]
thx for the heads up about the TRIM hand guard.

The UBR is heavy, but the heavy butt will help it balance better in your hand admittedly.  

Just wanting you to be aware that this gun will weigh at least 8lbs empty w/o sights.  Probably more.

OP, might I suggest either the Apex or the Midwest industries SSK handguard for Armalites.  The MI is more than 4 oz lighter than that wilson combat HG. 11.8 oz I belive.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I had heard the UBR was just barely too short to use without an aftermarket "slash" buffer.

Does anyone know if this is true? I would love to change out my collapsible stock to a UBR :D

edit: the spring stonefire linked is also available from rainier arms so you dont have to make multiple orders link

I'm replacing my 13.2 Larue (will list it for sale if I can get it off) with a midwest industries SSK 15" rail which will be here tomorrow. Hoping to save a pound maybe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had heard the UBR was just barely too short to use without an aftermarket "slash" buffer.

Does anyone know if this is true? I would love to change out my collapsible stock to a UBR :D

edit: the spring stonefire linked is also available from rainier arms so you dont have to make multiple orders link

I'm replacing my 13.2 Larue (will list it for sale if I can get it off) with a midwest industries SSK 15" rail which will be here tomorrow. Hoping to save a pound maybe.
View Quote

i'm pretty sure the internal depth of the round "entry" type tube tht the UBR mounts to is the same as M4 type receiver extention.  It has to be.  

Yes, all AR10s use the same action spring, whether using a rifle rec ext, the AR10 car stock rec ext, or an AR15 rec ext.  That stubby buffer must bethe same length as slash's buffers.  I have an AR10 w/ AR15 car stock assembly, slash buffer and Armalite action spring.  The spring does allow the buffer to bottom out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I might order that little buffer so I can try a ubr then
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you contacted Noveske? Best source IMHO.

Also don't forget the trigger, changed out the stock trigger on my 18" noveske bull with the ssa-e big difference worth the extra change.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Also don't forget the trigger, changed out the stock trigger on my 18" noveske bull with the ssa-e big difference worth the extra change.
View Quote

they are good about getting back to you.  The will tell you which gas tube you need exactly.  Rainer Arms must carry the correct one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I might order that little buffer so I can try a ubr then
View Quote

ha!  Apparantly, the slash buffer is ca 2.6" and the buffer that comes in their G2 rifle is 2.5"  Not sure if that one Rainer carries is the 2.5" long one.  

Don't forget to get the short lenght rifle style receiver extension.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:40:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Utter BS.........have used Slash's buffers with three UBR stocks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:17:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I phrased that really poorly, I was saying that I thought I needed a slash buffer for the UBR
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
thx for the heads up about the TRIM hand guard.

The UBR is heavy, but the heavy butt will help it balance better in your hand admittedly.  

Just wanting you to be aware that this gun will weigh at least 8lbs empty w/o sights.  Probably more.

OP, might I suggest either the Apex or the Midwest industries SSK handguard for Armalites.  The MI is more than 4 oz lighter than that wilson combat HG. 11.8 oz I belive.
View Quote

The UBR is heavy, but it's solid and it will balance out the rifle.

I already ordered the Wilson Combat HG. My LaRue PredatOBR weighs 9 pounds, so I'm okay if this rifle weighs the same or less.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:18:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did order the 2 parts from Rainier Arms, Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't contact Noveske directly but Rainier Arms associated the 9 7/8" carbine gas tube with the Noveske barrel and that's what I ordered.
I did get get a Geissele SDE trigger. All my AR's have Geissele triggers
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

they are good about getting back to you.  The will tell you which gas tube you need exactly.  Rainer Arms must carry the correct one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rainier did have the correct gas tube. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I finally ordered all the parts I needed for my build. Now I just need to wait to get them all.
I don't have all the tools I need to build this, but I found a local gunsmith who will let me use his tools and shop to put this rifle together.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Excellent. Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#18]
My Noveske 7.62 build is almost complete. Here is a picture of it.

I did find out that the gas tube needed for this is an AR-10 Carbine length gas tube. Not the ar-15 length.

I am planning to get this rifle cerakoted, just not sure the color or scheme I'm getting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks great! Mine looks very similar...I'm thinking I might need that UBR you have on there.

I figured out mine actually has a small/short buffer so I'm sure it would function with a UBR.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My Noveske 7.62 build is almost complete. Here is a picture of it.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/45Thoughts/IMG_0887_zpsbd074f74.jpg

I did find out that the gas tube needed for this is an AR-10 Carbine length gas tube. Not the ar-15 length.

I am planning to get this rifle cerakoted, just not sure the color or scheme I'm getting.
View Quote

Updated picture in the OP
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine runs fine with slash buffer + UBR
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome! Shot mine out to 700 yards in a 10mph wind on Sunday. It did well:D
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top