Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/6/2014 5:23:20 PM EDT
Just picked her up and ran her through the paces.  Shot anything I wanted to put in the mag.  Slug, buck, bird, heavy, light... not a lot of kick with the nice butt pad... h
Brian

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u481/briancollinsmvfd/IMG_1090_zps81637dcd.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u481/briancollinsmvfd/IMG_1085_zps41ba4340.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u481/briancollinsmvfd/IMG_1083_zps79201184.jpg
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did you get it?  Looks good. What brand?
Can you take some pics of the internals
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked mine up off a guy on Armslist a couple weeks ago, but it is still bone stock. Unfortunately, some other projects will get my money before I start buying new stuff from Firebird or Tooth and Nail.

I gotta ask though, what do you shoot with it? Paper? Skeet? Sporting clays? 3gun?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Are there 2 round magazines available?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are there 2 round magazines available?
View Quote

Yes. 2 round mags

Im sure there are others, but I knew about these offhand
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Have they changed out them being entirely poly lowers?

or

Changed out the poly feed lips? (had a buddy actually melt his from shooting it)
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#6]

SORTA WANT.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

or

Changed out the poly feed lips? (had a buddy actually melt his from shooting it)
View Quote

No. The stock lowers are polymer. But most everyone replaces the stock ones with one from Firebird Precision Billet Lower

The sky is the limit with these guns now. With parts from Firebird or Tooth and Nail Armory, most of the lower receiver becomes compatible with parts off your normal AR.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Are there aftermarket magazines out for these and if so how much are they? What about drums?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh so these companies have made some aftermarket stuff to make it better. That is pretty good. When I first saw them come out there was lots of problems.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I've always liked the idea of these but i handled one and it felt like it had poor build quality. Your pics and post seem to alleviate some of my concerns though. Back in.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Does this thing have a tube mag along being able to be mag fed??
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope- mag fed only... The 2 ways to get 10 rd mags... Take the 2 5rd mags that come stock.. And get 10rd extensions from salem6. Or buy 10 rd factory mags from a host of players.. Usually 60-79$/ ea... Tooth and nail has a huge 23 rounder for those not in states like mine.(calif).  Mine ... To be Cali legal with the 10 rd mag has to have both the Cali mag bullet button AND the magpul stock must be "pinned" in the location I want it... Oh well at least I could get one- I bought it from a guy in Idaho off gunbroker who takes the stock 1919 and does the conversion with cutting the polymer one piece stock, and replaces forend and gas block/piston... Work can be done DIY if you are good with a band saw... All the rest is plug n play...
Recommend the light spring and piston ring to shoot light loads outa the box... If not it will FTE a few light loads until broken in - 200-250 heavy loads... Mine worked great the first day... No FTE only one double feed out of 200 rds...
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Outa the box - factory... Kinda cheesy... But for about 5-600 more you get a very nice and well performing gun... Add 400 on top and you can get the firebird alum lower for even better... I might save some pennies and get one before they decide not to make anymore...
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#14]
referring to a gun as "her" is gay.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#15]
This is not GD.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been eyeballing these for awhile but held back due to lack of aftermarket support. Seems that is now changing after doing some googling.

if I ever snag one I think I would go with a SAS Firearms Billet Lower Reciever and an ACE Stock.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I think there is another company making aluminum lower now.
Here is mine with a tooth and nail hand guard and vortex strikefire.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#18]
So it's basically a Remington 1100 that takes magazines & AR furniture.  Does it have choke tubes?  If there are 2 round magazines, I"m thinking duck gun.  Might get that NY pentagon magazine connector for it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#19]
My heavely modded early XN model
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Had no idea these existed.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:13:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been looking at these long and hard, even thinking about the Firebird lower.  Do you have any idea how much the SAS lower will be selling for?  I checked their website and there are no prices listed, just a contact form.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:10:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Since I've only seen these on the interweb, is the buffer tube/receiver extension required or merely a means by which to mount the stock?  I'm wondering if its possible to install a side folder...
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

or

View Quote

No. The stock lowers are polymer. But most everyone replaces the stock ones with one from Firebird Precision Billet Lower

The
sky is the limit with these guns now. With parts from Firebird or Tooth
and Nail Armory, most of the lower receiver becomes compatible with
parts off your normal AR.

View Quote

Any of Y'all looking for a Firebird Aluminum lower for one of these I might know a guy that could make that happen on the cheap.    

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think there is another company making aluminum lower now.
Here is mine with a tooth and nail hand guard and vortex strikefire.

<a href="http://s48.photobucket.com/user/jwb47/media/9992BF25-C86D-4E29-A0A6-A96AD54F3CFE-665-00000069036593EF_zps56cbe759.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/jwb47/9992BF25-C86D-4E29-A0A6-A96AD54F3CFE-665-00000069036593EF_zps56cbe759.jpg</a>
View Quote

SAS Firearms makes a one piece billet.. looks niiice!

http://www.sasfirearms.com/servlet/StoreFront

Don't have much info except what I have been reading in a thread on forum.saiga12.com
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#25]

This is one I converted for a buddy.  After doing his and finding out about the sas lowers I finally ordered my own...
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have been looking at these long and hard, even thinking about the Firebird lower.  Do you have any idea how much the SAS lower will be selling for?  I checked their website and there are no prices listed, just a contact form.
View Quote

They've only just done an early release to those that signed up and I think made a deposit. Rumor on the Saiga Forums has it retailing at about the same as a Fire Bird lower is, which is around $350 or so.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#27]
For those that have these, I've read about issues with the magazines making them unreliable.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:13:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I dont know of any issues and mine is an early model. What i found odd was it came with two mags one for 2 3/4 shells and one for 3 inch . The 3 inch magazine works with either length shell and the 10 round mags do to . Why did they even bother with the 2 3/4 mag?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:27:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I was really thinking about getting one.  Started looking at some of the 3-gun sites, snipershide, etc.

In the late '12's, and into the '13's there was mention of there being magazine issues and several 3-gunners commenting on how they were jamomatics.

I just don't see enough out there giving a solid idea on their performance.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:07:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was really thinking about getting one.  Started looking at some of the 3-gun sites, snipershide, etc.

In the late '12's, and into the '13's there was mention of there being magazine issues and several 3-gunners commenting on how they were jamomatics.

View Quote

This scared me away as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:43:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most magazines need a little tuning and then they run 100% after that.  All the tuning consists is basically tweeking (bending) the feedlips a bit.  

I've seen 1911 mags that needed the same tuning.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Since we are not a site sponsor(we have talked about it, don't think there is enough MKA traffic here to support it, YET) I can't answer price/sales specific answers, I will answer any MKA questions you may have.

Thanks for the comments about our products we try hard to have the best CS in the gun industry.
We will be handling the SAS lowers, most likely offer a, stripped lower, complete basic lower, optional upgrades(stock/grip), and a complete assembled gun, all the way to a full race ready SG

I have been shooting this platform in 3gun since Aug. 2012
I would put the reliability right there with any semi-auto on the market, the first ones did have issues with the cheap bulk pack ammo, always ran 1300 fps and higher.

Here's a vid we made yesterday?? converted my 3gun SG , 23 round mag
SAS lower, with about every part we make, mainly just to show what's available
Tooth and Nail MKA 23 rnd mag/SAS lower

Here's my last 3gun match
CMMG 3gun match
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Since we are not a site sponsor(we have talked about it, don't think there is enough MKA traffic here to support it, YET) I can't answer price/sales specific answers, I will answer any MKA questions you may have.

Thanks for the comments about our products we try hard to have the best CS in the gun industry.

We will be handling the SAS lowers, most likely offer a, stripped lower, complete basic lower, optional upgrades(stock/grip), and a complete assembled gun, all the way to a full race ready SG

I would put the reliability right there with any semi-auto on the market, the first ones did have issues with the cheap bulk pack ammo, always ran 1300 fps and higher.

CMMG 3gun match
View Quote

Where are you at in MO?  Do you all have a physical store location, where say a guy like me with questions could bend your ear for a while, or do you prefer the email/phone method?

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#34]
We are in central MO, in the country outside of Versailles

While we don't have a retail store per-say , just a machine shop and office with A LOT of stuff in it. You're more than welcome to stop by or call , # is on the website.

We can show you everything from a stock gun to our competition guns, let you burn a few rounds if your interested.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#35]
So...how much does it cost, once you do all the mods and such?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:42:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So...how much does it cost, once you do all the mods and such?
View Quote

See 3  4 posts above,

it's all available on the site, it's pretty easy to find.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Rhino Arms introduced an AR 12 ga. At SHOT this year.

www.rhinoarms.com

Sorry for no hot link.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Rhino Arms introduced an AR 12 ga. At SHOT this year.

www.rhinoarms.com

Sorry for no hot link.
View Quote

Yea, but isn't that the one that uses proprietary ammo because it wouldn't feed regular shells?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:01:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

CMMG 3gun match
View Quote

I just watched the video of the SAS lower, that thing looks really good.  Are you going to be updating your website soon to add the SAS parts?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#40]
We should have the details finalized By Tues or Wed.
Shot a match yesterday with it, shot about 90 rounds, had 1 FTF, not sure what happened. Pulled the trigger - CLICK - after ULSC, I looked for the round, couldn't find it. By that time of the day there were too many shells on the ground.
RO said he THOUGHT it wasn't completely in battery. who knows .

Anyway it's a nice piece of work.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#41]
damn it, DAMN IT, I didn't know there were billet lowers for these... there goes another $1200 bucks sometime in the near future.. I'm gonna need a bigger safe, this is the only setup that makes sense for 3 gun in my mind...
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Deal is done, we have them available.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Pricing? Date of availability?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

You'll have to go to his website.  He can't post prices until he buys an umptiump thousand $ site sponsorship.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You'll have to go to his website.  He can't post prices until he buys an umptiump thousand $ site sponsorship.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Gotcha, guess I forgot about that one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Just saw the update on your website, that looks really nice.  I am stuck overseas until December, it's going to be a long wait to get one in my hands.  That is definitely on the top of my list though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#47]
It's a nice piece of work.

Shot my second 3gun match with it today
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Id love to see a video with a Vepr12, custom Saiga and Custom Akdal side by side and be able to see all the intangibles that affect how they shoot. I still need a Vepr and to finish my Akdal and Saiga and can do it myself, but that is a ways off....... I always end up spending my money on something else. Guns make my eyes sparkle and wallet burn.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#49]
How do these things compare to say...a Vepr 12? The Vepr seems to be a better value at the going rate of $799 imo...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:46:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How do these things compare to say...a Vepr 12? The Vepr seems to be a better value at the going rate of $799 imo...
View Quote

I don't own a Vepr, but I have shot one.

I think if you are looking for a gun out of the box, buy it and run it, the Vepr 12, especially at $800, can't be beat.

BUT, if you are more of a "build your own" or customize kind of  guy then the MKA or Saiga beats out the Vepr12. I would probably give the edge to Saiga, since options for the MKA are still somewhat limited. But Saigas are quickly losing their lore, and I think for 3 gun and such, the MKA is better.

All I lack is the Vepr, and Ill have all 3. So as you can see, I couldn't make a decision.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top