Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump.

Going to make some barrels for gtfoxy soon as the reamer and blanks get here so testing can resume.

Since I have the bolts/extractors/links for the 6.8 SPC, I am also going to make a barrel for my semi MK46 in this caliber for a thumper belt gun....
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Color me interested too.

I already have and love a 6.8 and have a spare bolt and lots of mags.

I'm seriously thinking about a 30 caliber suppressor and can see the ability to get a suppressor in 35 cal as being a hurdle to overcome vs. the 300 blk and Bison's 6.8 subsonic offerings.

But a 35 cal AR that can shoot pistol and rifle bullets is very intriguing, especially, for us reloaders.

I sure hope you get this to work well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#4]
What projectiles work well with the velocities from this cartridge?

Can someone list a spread of .358 projos and their expansion parameters?  I've had a hard time finding data to this end.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Progress report???
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bump.

Going to make some barrels for gtfoxy soon as the reamer and blanks get here so testing can resume.

Since I have the bolts/extractors/links for the 6.8 SPC, I am also going to make a barrel for my semi MK46 in this caliber for a thumper belt gun....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Bump.

Thanks for chiming in Bro! I didn't see the bump until now... So sorry! This forum moves pretty quickly since they incorporated the AR10 platform stuff in here.

Way stoked to get this rolling! Been waiting a long time but it is all workling out for the better. Your are a Godsend!

Thank you!

Quoted:
Color me interested too.

I already have and love a 6.8 and have a spare bolt and lots of mags.

I'm seriously thinking about a 30 caliber suppressor and can see the ability to get a suppressor in 35 cal as being a hurdle to overcome vs. the 300 blk and Bison's 6.8 subsonic offerings.

But a 35 cal AR that can shoot pistol and rifle bullets is very intriguing, especially, for us reloaders.

I sure hope you get this to work well.

Subsonic suppressed is the main reason I wanted to try this cat, so that will definitely be an area of testing. I have an 07/02 that will be handling the cans & ammo as well as complete uppers & fully assembled NFA & Non-NFA transfers. Also have some other outlets that are interested as well. It is all set up, just need to get the testing done. People like us is why I am giving this a try. I greatly appreciate the support!

Quoted:
What projectiles work well with the velocities from this cartridge?

Can someone list a spread of .358 projos and their expansion parameters?  I've had a hard time finding data to this end.

Sorry for the belated response...

I haven't been able to find much for published private testing but I admittedly haven't looked all that hard either. Hornady has a good listing for their bullets recomended velocity ranges. Remington, Barnes, WInchester and a few others have some limited data out there.

The softer hollowpoints seeem to be ~1400-1600FPS max. Winchester FMJ's 125-147grn in 9mm/38cal exceeding 2400FPS is what MGP users use to fireform cases. I have some of those to try & may just be the go to hards in 9mm. I believe the Berry's 124grn RN will work at the above-2000FPS velocities as well.

Quoted:
Progress report???

Thanks for the bump Didn't see the above responses until now. My bad.

I am getting closer to having everything up and running. I now have formed brass waiting & barrels will hopefully be to me some time next week. There will be four barrels for initial testing in various lengths & twist ratios. As this is geared toward pistol/ SBR applications a very large majority of testing will be in shorter barrel lengths even though a 16" variation is in the plans, albeit that may come at a later time frame. That is up to Sharky as far as when that will be.

So far the forming hasn't been bad. Resize reamer is being updated to simplify the process & account for minor variations in case thicknesses. Some may find reaming the necks to be an option, especially for maximum accuracy, but it is something I will do my best to avoid as being a necessity. The chamber was made to work with those thicker cases. As such, a FCD may be needed in those instances where the use of a smaller die, such as a 357magnum sizing die, can't be used to obtain adequate neck tension. In otherwords, thicker brass should work fine, thinner brass such as Remington will more than likely require a FCD or a small sizer. I am allocating Rem brass mostly to sub-sonic use as it is not as strong as SSA, Hornady etc, & the LRP makes it very suitable for such an application. Modifications to the flash hole is one area I will be experimenting with to see if it alters performance or consistency.

Some pics of the progress for forming...

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:47:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#8]
That's purdy!
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't sharky do awesome work?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#10]
love it when a plan comes together.  looking good
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]
It is isn't it.

You getting ready?

Soon.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

yep  I am almost ready reamers due in 10 days, have one blank ready with 3 more due within 2 weeks

so it won't be long either.

those look purdy
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Looking forward to seeing the 7mm Valkary...

Oh...

& Soon
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh... http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx160/gtfoxy1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpstfbvjltt.jpg

& Soon
View Quote

Whats dat?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Looks interesting
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Looks interesting

Glad you think so. I thought it would be a neat project.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh... http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx160/gtfoxy1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpstfbvjltt.jpg

& Soon

Whats dat?

BIGGDAWG will be along shortly.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#17]
The 7mm Valkyrie AR is a round i am developing you can check it out here:

7mm VAR

and here

http://www.msrhunt.com/post/introducing-the-7mm-valkyrie-ar-7266680?pid=1286562829#post1286562829
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top