BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
That is great news THS, congratulations!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheHomelandSoldier:

We'll know shortly... we've had 150 grain subs run fine through a 1:11 twis barrel.

We have some 1:7 twist barrels coming in like the BSP and some 180 grain Woodleigh bullets to try with them. Should work just fine as like the BLK it will be easy to get case fill with the smaller case. 11.2 grains of Norma 200 was used to push the 150's so we'll try some other more available powders as well with the 180's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JSmithXYY:
so, ive got to ask...does this chambering have any potential for shooting subtonics?  I know that is outside the original design parameters, but that bison armory subsonic 6.8 project got me thinking.  

Of course, it could be done?  The specific question is whether it could be done w/ a heavyish .277 bullet that could cycle the action in a magazine length cartrigde?

We'll know shortly... we've had 150 grain subs run fine through a 1:11 twis barrel.

We have some 1:7 twist barrels coming in like the BSP and some 180 grain Woodleigh bullets to try with them. Should work just fine as like the BLK it will be easy to get case fill with the smaller case. 11.2 grains of Norma 200 was used to push the 150's so we'll try some other more available powders as well with the 180's.

Will these 1 in 7 barrels be able to also shoot supers as well and with the same accuracy?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Cag40Navy:

Will these 1 in 7 barrels be able to also shoot supers as well and with the same accuracy?
View All Quotes
so, ive got to ask...does this chambering have any potential for shooting subtonics?  I know that is outside the original design parameters, but that bison armory subsonic 6.8 project got me thinking.  

Of course, it could be done?  The specific question is whether it could be done w/ a heavyish .277 bullet that could cycle the action in a magazine length cartrigde?

We are assuming so... since Bison says their BSP does as well...  with 1:7 twist.  We'll have to see but they publish in writing that they're BSP 1:7 barrels will shoot 6.8SPC subs and supers so we see no reason why it wouldn't in the Wolverine.  Especially since velocity is a tad bit less in super with the Wolverine.  Now, that being said, if you somehow try to push a 75 grain frangible at max load I would say that perhaps you may see some issues with that.  Don't know for sure, though.  They say it works fine, so again we assume it will, too.  We will have to see.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes

yeah BO has sort of established that the whole overstabiliy concerns are overblown, at least w/ lower velocity supersonic centirefire cartridges.  Sometimes 22lr can overstabile and spin apart, or maybe with really fast chamberings (eg weatherby etc) it is diffent, but there really doesn't seem to be any detriment on accuracy in overtwisted barrels in many applications.

Anyway OP, that is cool that COAL w/ some 150 g bullets isn't a limiting factor.  IMO, a select fire SBR that could shoot ca 150 g subs and instantly switch to 277 supers w/o a better all around gun than 300 BO.  It woudl be more like a 9mm SMG to med power assault rifle w/ better external ballisitcs and less recoil.  

Of course, that is not to say the the chambering isn't already excellent as a dedicated supersonic.  Congrats on the SAAMI submittal
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]

yeah BO has sort of established that the whole overstabiliy concerns are overblown, at least w/ lower velocity supersonic centirefire cartridges.  Sometimes 22lr can overstabile and spin apart, or maybe with really fast chamberings (eg weatherby etc) it is diffent, but there really doesn't seem to be any detriment on accuracy in overtwisted barrels in many applications.

Anyway OP, that is cool that COAL w/ some 150 g bullets isn't a limiting factor.  IMO, a select fire SBR that could shoot ca 150 g subs and instantly switch to 277 supers w/o a better all around gun than 300 BO.  It woudl be more like a 9mm SMG to med power assault rifle w/ better external ballisitcs and less recoil.  

Of course, that is not to say the the chambering isn't already excellent as a dedicated supersonic.  Congrats on the SAAMI submittal
View All Quotes

You got it sir.  If we can get the 180's to run well, and get a better supply of them, we'll be golden.  I now I can load the 180's within COAL/mag restrictions, as I have made a couple dummy rounds already.  There's still enough room for enough powder to push them as well.  How they will actually perform is the unknown.  But, we'll know soon enough.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:35:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSmithXYY] [#6]
180s?  I read 150's.  Cool.

You say the 150's worked.  Do you mean they were accurate w/ the standard twist or that  when loaded to like 1000 fps cycled the action of a gun previously set up to run supersonics?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#7]
180s?  I read 150's.  Cool.

You say the 150's worked.  Do you mean they were accurate w/ the standard twist or that  when loaded to like 1000 fps cycled the action of a gun previously set up to run supersonics?
View Quote

The 150's ran through a 1:11 twist barrel with the port opened up a little bit.  This was on a 10.5" barrel.  The supers were not severely overgassed following.  I don't want to put out raw numbers (port sizes, etc) until we get it all figured out.   The 150's through the 1:11 showed a few rounds starting to keyhole at 75 yards.  That's expected.  In the 1:7 twist we doubt we'll see any of that.  Once we get the 150 loads and 180 loads settled, and experiment further with the gas port size, we'l know how easy it will be to switch from subs to supers.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:34:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheHomelandSoldier] [#8]
Thought I would give an update on our first Savage pre-fit build.  Here you go:

Finalized the 100AB hunting load today. I also took some pictures while I had some decent light.

Bullet- 100AB
Case- LC 10
Powder- A1680
Primer- 450
COL- 2.220"
Trim- 1.535"
Temp- 75
Shell Holder- +.010" neck, and body only, no shoulder bump

24.4gr. Accuracy- .75"
1-2789-av-2788
2-2789-es-29
3-2777-sd-11
4-2772
5-2801
6-2801

same load, OAL was increased to 2.230"
24.4gr. Accuracy- .5"
1-2772-av-2760
2-2754-es-23
3-2766-sd-9
4-2749
5-2760

This thing is a pleasure to shoot. Very light recoil, and muzzle blast. I shot it once without hearing protection (forgot to put them on) and it did not make my ears ring or head hurt. I was quite surprised. I do believe 2775 will get the job done with the accubond. Its not but a tick slower than my pet load for the 16" SPC. I was able to get velocity over 2800, but accuracy starts dropping off before you get there. The trigger on the axis is pretty nice, and adjustable down to around 3.5lbs.
If you have kids, or if you or your wife are recoil sensitive, then this would make them a fine hunting rig for not a lot of money.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:02:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#9]
Looker & a shooter!

View Quote

View Quote

The 1/7 will make a big difference.

Couples thing to note here:
First is the stability was already decent down to 11.5grns with velocity in the mid-1100's. Dropping that final .2grns showed some irregularity IIRC. Went as low as 10.5 & retained functionality with proper port size.

Secondly is the tighter twist will help with uniform pressure build on the SRP cases. LRP may be more forgiving in consistency in the lower charges but the 1/7 will definitely help & may be enough to get 11.3 to work with standard port size.

Time & testing will tell.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:
Looker & a shooter!

First is the stability was already decent down to 11.5grns with velocity in the mid-1100's. Dropping that final .2grns showed some irregularity IIRC. Went as low as 10.5 & retained functionality with proper port size.

Secondly is the tighter twist will help with uniform pressure build on the SRP cases. LRP may be more forgiving in consistency in the lower charges but the 1/7 will definitely help & may be enough to get 11.3 to work with standard port size.

View All Quotes
Looker & a shooter!

Thanks for the feedback gtfoxy!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:27:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheHomelandSoldier] [#11]
Thought I would just drop off these pics to provide an update on what the WLV has been up to besides dropping deer, hogs and varmints all over the country.

Beautiful part is, minimal alteration was needed to convert it form 5.56 to 277 Wolverine.  The first WLV SAW barrel itself has been chambered and rough turned; should be up and running shortly.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Thought I would just drop off these pics to provide an update on what the WLV has been up to besides dropping deer, hogs and varmints all over the country.

Beautiful part is, minimal alteration was needed to convert it form 5.56 to 277 Wolverine.  The first WLV SAW barrel itself has been chambered and rough turned; should be up and running shortly.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/TheHomelandSoldier/2097616.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/TheHomelandSoldier/2097612.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/TheHomelandSoldier/20976111.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/TheHomelandSoldier/21310361.jpg
View Quote

Nice!

Any updates on 18" SS Barrels?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Mark, any plans on doing a rifle gas length 20" barrel in the near future ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#14]
16" and 18" are due in any day now.  Just waiting for the shipped notice and invoice.  Broke a reamer, caused a nasty delay. Back up now.

Vic - we didn't plan to do 20" but will probably get a batch done since folks have been asking for them. The 20" Savage we put together gets 2800fps with a 100AB.  Not that the AR barrel will match that, but that's a ood number!

It will probably still be mid-length gas, though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#15]
16" and 18" are due in any day now.  Just waiting for the shipped notice and invoice.  Broke a reamer, caused a nasty delay. Back up now.

Vic - we didn't plan to do 20" but will probably get a batch done since folks have been asking for them. The 20" Savage we put together gets 2800fps with a 100AB.  Not that the AR barrel will match that, but that's a ood number!

View Quote

While I prefer rifle gas, mid gas will still work just fine in a 20" barreled version...Thanks Mark.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Dr69er:

While I prefer rifle gas, mid gas will still work just fine in a 20" barreled version...Thanks Mark.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dr69er:

I hear ya, but the cartridge might not like a rifle gas system without a port the size of Kentucky.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:00:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheHomelandSoldier] [#17]
Wa-hoooo!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI9p04Ew_QU

Edit:  Crap - why YouTube video no-worky?  at least the link works.

277 Wolverine SAW in action folks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GI_Brat:

Nice!

View All Quotes

Nice!

They'll be here next week bud.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Nice!

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#20]
A little 277 Wolverine Full Auto fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEPwCT6PM0U

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#21]
"Loud Sucks!"

LOL
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:41:48 AM EDT
[#22]
"Loud Sucks!"

LOL
View Quote

What he said  
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:53:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TheHomelandSoldier:  A little 277 Wolverine Full Auto fun...

View Quote

Take the s off the https when you post YouTube videos, and don't double up the http like you did above.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#25]
That video...might have just put me over the edge on a build...
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Tulbann:
That video...might have just put me over the edge on a build...
View Quote

Do it!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:23:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Just got more 18" barrels in...  not many but a few.  

10.5" 1:7 twist barrels came in, too.  SUBS time!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Just got more 18" barrels in...  not many but a few.  

View Quote

Order placed, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Might be hard to see, but yeah... that says 1:7 twist.  Giggitty.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Just got a large batch of 18" barrels in, and giving a handful away at $150 shipped as a promo.

Go to maddogweapons.com,  store, Wolverine products...
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEPwCT6PM0U

Take the s off the https when you post YouTube videos, and don't double up the http like you did above.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By TheHomelandSoldier:  A little 277 Wolverine Full Auto fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEPwCT6PM0U

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Any idea when you will have dies available?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Bigred200e:
Any idea when you will have dies available?
View Quote

I just ran out last week and more should be here in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:35:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I took you up on that promo, thanks for the great deal and fast shipping! I can't wait to get it built and shooting.

Just got a large batch of 18" barrels in, and giving a handful away at $150 shipped as a promo.

Go to maddogweapons.com,  store, Wolverine products...
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:59:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TwoNin9r] [#36]
Just bought a spikes receiver set for a song at the gun show. Just started reloading and cutting brass for 300 blk (so I'm not all that scared of it any more)... barrels for a .223 wildcat at $150? I think I need to read the rest of this thread to see how this compares to 300 blk and maybe I'll grab one if these barrels barrels tonight.

While I intend to read this thread tonight. Anyone wanna give me cliff's notes on how it compares to 300 and, further, how viable it is for hunting small to medium game?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#37]
It's better than the .300 on velocity and energy.  It can be made subsonic as well with the proper barrel/twist. Do the research. Check out the website/forum mentioned above for maddogweapons.

With careful reloads, it rivals and virtually equals the 6.8 spc except that you can use everything else you would for 5.56, except barrel.

It is an awesome little round that is surprisingly bigger than its britches. Just remember that you will not have excess with it, but it is just right. It excels in the up to 200+ yard range for hunting.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:56:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#38]
If you don't want to modify brass you have a couple options... You can get pre-done once fired from JBFA IIRC for $150/1,000pcs. It is good quality & they ship quick if in stock. If you have brass yo can send it to him & he will do it for you. I don't do my own brass I just let him do it.

Visit the WLV Forum & look around.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:42:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TwoNin9r] [#39]
I think I'm gonna have to go for it. Worst case, a quick barrel change ans I'm back to 5.56 or 300 blk. What's to lose?

Edit: op. Any way to still get that $150 promo on the 18" barrel?  Is be happy to purchase that and a set of dies right now. PM me please
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TwoNin9r:
I think I'm gonna have to go for it. Worst case, a quick barrel change ans I'm back to 5.56 or 300 blk. What's to lose?

Edit: op. Any way to still get that $150 promo on the 18" barrel?  Is be happy to purchase that and a set of dies right now. PM me please
View Quote

Received your email, and replied.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:10:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#41]

View Quote

Welcome to the club!

My prediction is it will become your favorite cartridge.

With all the neck earring of 556, just buy 277 pills & powder & keep on trucking.

I just got my 18" in the other day.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#42]
yes welcome to the club, Mark will surely treat you right and soon the wlv will replace your 556
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Well, I'm all in ay this point. Barrel, dies, and bolt purchased!

Time to find some reloading data. I hope at least one of the powders I have will work until I can find something optimal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:45:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheHomelandSoldier] [#44]

Time to find some reloading data. I hope at least one of the powders I have will work until I can find something optimal.
View Quote

Order received - should ship out tomorrow.

Here's the link to the 277 Wolverine forum where there is a ton of load data and other pertinent information posted:

Thanks!

mdws.forumchitchat.com
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Here's the link to the 277 Wolverine forum where there is a ton of load data and other pertinent information posted:

Thanks!

mdws.forumchitchat.com
View All Quotes

Thanks!

mdws.forumchitchat.com

Woo! Just waiting for approval on the forums.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#46]
What are you guys loads and FPS for the 82 grain raptor out of an 18" barrel ?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By tammons:
What are you guys loads and FPS for the 82 grain raptor out of an 18" barrel ?
View Quote

I have a few but haven't shot them yet. I would make a conservative guess of around 2850fps.  Might actually be closer to 2900 but I don't like to over-guess.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks

I already load these in 6.8 SPC so was curious.

What powder ? A1680 ?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#49]
If you have 1680, it is like gold in the .277 Wlv.

I have not been able to put my hands on any for testing, but those that have it, have had really good results.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Well hell!  I've decided to put my 6.8 SPC stuff up for sale.  

Mark, I've sent you an email concerning an 18" barrel.
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top