BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 16
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Drkhrs,
I was definitely talking minimalistic.  And buying used. Plus, I was rough guessing since I haven't priced or done anything minimalistically in quite a while when it comes to reloading.

Lee hand press - maybe $20 (It works well for low volume loading)
shell holder - $5 (I sold some recently for less shipped)
6.8 seater - $15-20 (I have seen entire 2 die sets for $25)
Lee safety scale - 30-35 (you don't "need" a powder measure as you can trickle powder from a case)
1 lb powder - $25
100 primers - $4 (I get them for $3/100 or $27/1000 local)
Time - yeah right, like I am going to count that!!

That's right at $100, but I just realized I forgot the brass and the bullets! Stupid me.
Add another $20-30 for the bullets of your choice and whatever the brass costs(but you will have to consider the brass a reusable source cost as you will get several firings out of each case.

You can do it for that, but if you intend on making reloading a hobby, be expected to spend $1,000s like I and many others have on equipment, tools, extras. I have spent many times that in components.

Reloading is its own sickness. A wonderful illness that I enjoy!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
Drkhrs,
I was definitely talking minimalistic.  And buying used. Plus, I was rough guessing since I haven't priced or done anything minimalistically in quite a while when it comes to reloading.

Lee hand press - maybe $20 (It works well for low volume loading)
shell holder - $5 (I sold some recently for less shipped)
6.8 seater - $15-20 (I have seen entire 2 die sets for $25)
Lee safety scale - 30-35 (you don't "need" a powder measure as you can trickle powder from a case)
1 lb powder - $25
100 primers - $4 (I get them for $3/100 or $27/1000 local)
Time - yeah right, like I am going to count that!!

That's right at $100, but I just realized I forgot the brass and the bullets! Stupid me.
Add another $20-30 for the bullets of your choice and whatever the brass costs(but you will have to consider the brass a reusable source cost as you will get several firings out of each case.

You can do it for that, but if you intend on making reloading a hobby, be expected to spend $1,000s like I and many others have on equipment, tools, extras. I have spent many times that in components.

Reloading is its own sickness. A wonderful illness that I enjoy!!
View Quote

Like I said in a previous post I did find a "lightly used rcbs rock chucker iv press, uniflow powder measure w/ stand, rcbs beam scale
" for 200 bux. I certainly don't want to spend good money after bad so I tried contacting this seller to buy this. These items new on MidwayUSA comes to $325 plus shipping.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
While I would consider it smart to go ahead and get quality equipment, I was just wanting to let you know that you CAN get started for less without the need for buying ammo.

The guys making factory ammo would probably rather I just shut my mouth and let you have at it though. And that will be a good way to get your "once" fired .277 brass. So, you are good either way!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate your guidance Sir. I'm on the website right now looking for a more economical option.

I do have all my .300BLK parts and ammo for sale to fund this so I'll see what I can find.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:

Yes no ill intent.

It was a cordial invitation to share.

Ill save you the time bro, WLV pic thread
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
Originally Posted By TwoNin9r:
Nice build!

There is a WLV pic thread....

Oh my bad. Will look for it.

gt wasn't saying you posted in the wrong place, just that you could see more .277 builds in the thread.

Nice build BTW!!

Yes no ill intent.

It was a cordial invitation to share.

Ill save you the time bro, WLV pic thread

Haha. On arfcom i always read I'll intent into every post, EXCEPT in the .277 wlv posts haha.

Joking of course, I actually did take it as a "FYI, a picture thread exists for your visual pleasure". I'll get some good shots with my good camera and post them up in that thread. Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Great progress on this round!

Have you had anyone get a supersonic velocity on the 100g Accubond through the subsonic barrel?

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Dean1818:
Great progress on this round!

Have you had anyone get a supersonic velocity on the 100g Accubond through the subsonic barrel?

View Quote

Thanks and not that I've seen yet. We didn't sling the 100AB's when we tested the 1:7's but we did test the 90TNT and it was same speed/accuracy as in the 1:11 if that helps.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]
sorry, I looked in teh OP and on your site, and on Wikipedia, I can't find a listing of  specs such as case length, h2o volume.  Trying to figure out where this chambering has more or less total case capscity and more or less usable case capacity than 7.62x40 with lighter bullets (85-110 g)?

Is the case shorter than the x40 to avoid problems w/ the internal magazine rib??

I guess you didn't make a wikipedia page yet?

thank you.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Case length is 1.535", H2O capacity is ~27 grains +/- depending on brass manu.

It is indeed a bit shorter so it will run reliably in all 5.56 mags without any modification needed.

I guess we haven't made Wikipedia yet...  not sure how that works but if you're saying I need to be the one to go make one I'll look into it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I received my new barrel today, it looks very good! I bought some AA2200 and some #41 primers the other day and he ordered me some 115gr Sierra Match King HPBT I'll pick up in a few days. I'm hoping I can hold out for some Lee dies but probably not. I'm excited about getting this together, but it'll be a few more weeks before I can get the rest of my stuff.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TheHomelandSoldier:

It is indeed a bit shorter so it will run reliably in all 5.56 mags without any modification needed.

I guess we haven't made Wikipedia yet...  not sure how that works but if you're saying I need to be the one to go make one I'll look into it.
View Quote

Thx.  yeah, the x40 wiki shows it at 1.565, so its only .030" difference.  Of course, total water capacity only tells you so much w/o considering COAL and bullet length.

wiki its a pretty good resource for looking at the specs and history of various chamberings.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:16:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GI_Brat] [#12]
How about a 18" A2 277-Wolverine with a free float tube under the handguards, super peep sights and a Geissele two stage trigger......kind of a modified DCM Variant.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Now that's pretty cool!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JSmithXYY:

Thx.  yeah, the x40 wiki shows it at 1.565, so its only .030" difference.  Of course, total water capacity only tells you so much w/o considering COAL and bullet length.

wiki its a pretty good resource for looking at the specs and history of various chamberings.
View All Quotes

You or Wade should get on that...:)
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:02:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheHomelandSoldier] [#15]
3,000fps yesterday with a 90 Grain Gold Dot out of the 20" Savage pre-fit barrel.  

Cases look fine.

85MPG and 90 grain Gold Dot.

Those 90's were knocking chunks out of my 10" AR-500 gong at 100yds. The 85MPG didn't bother it at all. The 85MPG runs the same speed as the 90GD with 1.5gr. less powder. I think they are harder to "deform" into the rifling because of the powdered metal core.
Could have gone up a bit more on the 90GD load. There was a crap load of powder in there, not much room left.

Video:

http://vid565.photobucket.com/albums/ss93/sf250r/277WLV/VID_20150329_150049_947.mp4

Pic of cases:

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#16]
That is SMOKIN!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#17]
3,000fps yesterday with a 90 Grain Gold Dot out of the 20" Savage pre-fit barrel.  

Cases look fine.

85MPG and 90 grain Gold Dot.

Those 90's were knocking chunks out of my 10" AR-500 gong at 100yds. The 85MPG didn't bother it at all. The 85MPG runs the same speed as the 90GD with 1.5gr. less powder. I think they are harder to "deform" into the rifling because of the powdered metal core.
Could have gone up a bit more on the 90GD load. There was a crap load of powder in there, not much room left.

Video:

http://vid565.photobucket.com/albums/ss93/sf250r/277WLV/VID_20150329_150049_947.mp4

Pic of cases:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.websitetoolbox.com/171658/2263456

View Quote

Woo!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheHomelandSoldier] [#18]
It's been a good week so far.  3,000fps with a 90 grain bullet.... and then the OPPOSITE:

HELP LOADING VIDEO!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=16&v=3iKzh8ZDjJA

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#19]
That is sweet.  Ejection is textbook perfect, and the cyclic rate is way controllable, nice and slow.  What recoil system are you using there?

Just remove the "s" from https when embedding and it will show up.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
That is sweet.  Ejection is textbook perfect, and the cyclic rate is way controllable, nice and slow.  What recoil system are you using there?

http://youtu.be/3iKzh8ZDjJA
View Quote

Thanks for the help. I don't know his build specs but it's one of our 1:7 twist barrels for supers and subs.  If he got the 150's running like that the 200's will be a cake walk.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:24:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TwoNin9r] [#21]

Thanks for the help. I don't know his build specs but it's one of our 1:7 twist barrels for supers and subs.  If he got the 150's running like that the 200's will be a cake walk.
View All Quotes

Dumb question. Considering the ceiling of a subsonic round, by definition, is the speed of sound, why bother with a 150 gn bullet, given that with a velocity ceiling the only difference will be that the 200 gn will have substantially more muzzle energy. Are the lighter bullets flatter shooting or something?

In other words, I would think that if you're aiming for a set fps, the only variable being bullet weight, you would want the heaviest projectile that would still stabilize.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:38:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheHomelandSoldier] [#22]

Dumb question. Considering the ceiling of a subsonic round, by definition, is the speed of sound, why bother with a 150 gn bullet, given that with a velocity ceiling the only difference will be that the 200 gn will have substantially more muzzle energy. Are the lighter bullets flatter shooting or something?
View All Quotes

Not a dumb question at all; a very valid one in fact.

The 150's are the minimum-weight (floor) for subs in 277 from our perspective because a "Lehigh-type" controlled fracture or maximum expansion bullet would weigh about 150 grains due to it's structure and materials.  If you/we can get 150 grain subs running flawlessly, this opens the market for those types of bullets to be used effectively in the platform.

We already have 180 and 200 grain bullets running... getting 150's to run is more of a challenge because it is harder to get them to cycle due to the reduced weight.  So, essentially what we've ended up with now is a platform that will run standard supersonic loads, as well as 150, 180, and 200 grain subsonic loads though the SAME barrel with the SAME gas port.  You can also pick up 150 grain 277 bullets on the cheap for plinking as they are a standard 270Win offering.

Similar to the Blackout; same deal here except better supersonic performance and "almost" as good subsonic performance.  now that we have 150, 180 and 200 grain subs running we are R&D'ing a potential 225 grain subsonic bullet for the 277.  If that happens we fall only 20 grains behind the heaviest BLK subsonic bullet available (that I know of) while outperforming it in supersonic.  One of the most beautiful things is that the 200 grain bullets we are having made by Hawk will expand subsonic; they're not just hole-pokers.  The Lehigh-type will as well; devastatingly so, actually.  The 180 and 200 grain Woodleigh's are just hole-pokers as they will not expand, but rather keyhole on impact more than likely which is still going to hurt quite certainly!

In short, getting it to run subs in 150's is a huge accomplishment.  No adjustable gas block needed, no crazy modifications.  You pick up your 1:7 twist upper, run a mag of subs, then run a mag of supers, and repeat, as often as you like.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#23]

The 150's are the minimum-weight (floor) for subs in 277 from our perspective because a "Lehigh-type" controlled fracture or maximum expansion bullet would weigh about 150 grains due to it's structure and materials.  If you/we can get 150 grain subs running flawlessly, this opens the market for those types of bullets to be used effectively in the platform.

We already have 180 and 200 grain bullets running... getting 150's to run is more of a challenge because it is harder to get them to cycle due to the reduced weight.  So, essentially what we've ended up with now is a platform that will run standard supersonic loads, as well as 150, 180, and 200 grain subsonic loads though the SAME barrel without the SAME gas port.  You can also pick up 150 grain 277 bullets on the cheap for plinking as they are a standard 270Win offering.

Similar to the Blackout; same deal here except better supersonic performance and "almost" as good subsonic performance.  now that we have 150, 180 and 200 grain subs running we are R&D'ing a potential 225 grain subsonic bullet for the 277.  If that happens we fall only 20 grains behind the heaviest BLK subsonic bullet available (that I know of) while outperforming it in supersonic.  One of the most beautiful things is that the 200 grain bullets we are having made by Hawk will expand subsonic; they're not just hole-pokers.  The Lehigh-type will as well; devastatingly so, actually.  The 180 and 200 grain Woodleigh's are just hole-pokers as they will not expand, but rather keyhole on impact more than likely which is still going to hurt quite certainly!

In short, getting it to run subs in 150's is a huge accomplishment.  No adjustable gas block needed, no crazy modifications.  You pick up your 1:7 twist upper, run a mag of subs, then run a mag of supers, and repeat, as often as you like.
View All Quotes

We already have 180 and 200 grain bullets running... getting 150's to run is more of a challenge because it is harder to get them to cycle due to the reduced weight.  So, essentially what we've ended up with now is a platform that will run standard supersonic loads, as well as 150, 180, and 200 grain subsonic loads though the SAME barrel without the SAME gas port.  You can also pick up 150 grain 277 bullets on the cheap for plinking as they are a standard 270Win offering.

Is there no rep system on this site?! Lol thank you very much for answering my question so in depth. I guess my follow up wild be, though, what would a 150, or even 180 for that matter, have as a benefit over a 200. I would think that of all threw running at just under the speed of sound, you'd always want to choose the heaviest, unless the lighter bullet has some benefit like flatter trajectory or is better ballistivally in a way that isn't coming to mind.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Is there no rep system on this site?! Lol thank you very much for answering my question so in depth. I guess my follow up wild be, though, what would a 150, or even 180 for that matter, have as a benefit over a 200. I would think that of all threw running at just under the speed of sound, you'd always want to choose the heaviest, unless the lighter bullet has some benefit like flatter trajectory or is better ballistivally in a way that isn't coming to mind.
View All Quotes

First - I realized I made a typo above and fixed it... they run in the SAME barrel with the SAME gas port, not "without" like I typed originally.  Ugh.

The only benefit to a 150 grain bullet would be in the "Lehigh-type" design.  THe 200 Hawk will expand a bit but does not behave like the Lehigh.  Take a look at their controlled fracture and max expansion line.  Those are designed to expand/fracture reliably and viciously at subsonic speeds.  They will just happen to weigh about 150 grains because of design/materials.  If there was a 200 grain Lehigh-type bullet in 277, it would be way too long to use.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Lol I assumed you meant "with".

As far as the rest of that post. that's precisely what I was missing (and didn't pick up from your previous post) thank you so much
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Well I finally got my new barrel installed, I had to wait for my lapping tool to get here. My .300 BLK barrel torqued at 60lbs but this barrel needed some shims so I figured if I lapped the upper I could maybe fix any squareness issues and take off .001 to .002 at the same time. It worked, my Spike's Tactical upper was barely out of square and I was able to torque the barrel nut to 40lbs and "complete the deal". I still have my 12.37" 556 Tactical Evolution Rail, but I'd like to get a 15" UTG Pro or the SLR 14" Solo Lite. I still need to install my Vortex scope. I want to get a new trigger as well as a ARP Flash Hider.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Looking real good there. That handguard is light I bet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:16:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrkHorse57] [#28]
View Quote

Thanks. The website says 9.2 ozs.
I'm really liking the SLR Solo Lite though, it's just 1.2 ozs more.

I mounted the AFG-2 right to the handguard to save the weight of the rail.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Energy @ 1050FPS;
150grn= 367Ft/lb
180grn= 441Ft/lbs
200grn= 490Ft/lbs

I will hopefully try some 180grn this weekend on the FA machine... We'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DrkHorse57:
View Quote

Thanks. The website says 9.2 ozs.
I'm really liking the SLR Solo Lite though, it's just 1.2 ozs more.

I mounted the AFG-2 right to the handguard to save the weight of the rail.
View Quote

Moving right along. Looking forward to seeing it completed!
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:28:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JSmithXYY] [#31]

View Quote

two possible reasons:
1. so your mag load out is not too heavy.
2. so that the gun is more controllable in full auto, or perhaps even rapid fire.

Admittedly, a heavier bullet is better in some respects but if you are looking at this as an improvement on both a 9mm sub gun & a M4 type gun, both at the same time in one weapon, a 150 g bullet gives you similar ballistics to a 9mm sub gun w/ 147 g subsonics.    

W/ subsonic bullets, or sub 2000 fps bullets, what matters is how big of a channel a bulelt cuts & how much of its velocity it lost in target before making an exit wound at an appropiate depth.  A heavier bullet of diameter X wouldn't necessarily do this better than a lighter bullet...  If you have already excess penetration for the possible frontal area w/ the lighter bullets, you don't really gain anything terminally w/ merely more mass.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:02:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheHomelandSoldier] [#32]
This is what the ~150 grain Lehigh Controlled Fracture bullet in .277 will look like, and this is why we wanted to get ~150 grian subs to run:

This is what the 200 grain Hawk bullet looks like, and this is why we will run 200 grain subs as well:

One more time with the video of 150 grain Subs running Full-Auto (and a test to see if I finally got posting a video down):

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Those things look gnarly
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Boom!  It was nice of them to consider the WLV for an article.  I like how it turned out.

AR15Hunter.com Article on the WLV

There was also this one done on the Western Powder Blog:

Western Powders Blog Article on the WLV

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#35]

What barrel lengths for these comparisons? 16"?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#36]
http://ar15hunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/277-Wolverine-comparison.jpg

View Quote

Yes. And FYI they pulled those figures from a member post, I did not supply them. I had to go look at the Barnes and Wilson Combat ammo numbers to make sure that's what was in print from them and I did ask them to make sure they clarify that those that handloads will see much better numbers for all cartridges. We all know folks can get the 110 Blacktip BLK up to around 2425 and the 6.8 up to 2700 with good handloads.  But then again we can get the WLV up to 2650 with good handloads, too so they are pretty fair.  Numbers were pulled from posted factory ammo ads.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Great job on the write up and recognition.  I was going to post a link over at that 6.8 place but got tired of searching for the wolvy post after the fourth page.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Finally got my build finished, I should be shooting by this weekend!

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#39]
NICE rifle!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#40]
I swear AR style rifles are beautiful modern art.

That is a nice looking rifle
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Hubba Hubba. That's beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#42]
That is a great looking rifle, bet it reigns terror down upon yotes!
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#43]

Looks like I'll finally get a chance to play with the Wolverine

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#44]

Yes. And FYI they pulled those figures from a member post, I did not supply them. I had to go look at the Barnes and Wilson Combat ammo numbers to make sure that's what was in print from them and I did ask them to make sure they clarify that those that handloads will see much better numbers for all cartridges. We all know folks can get the 110 Blacktip BLK up to around 2425 and the 6.8 up to 2700 with good handloads.  But then again we can get the WLV up to 2650 with good handloads, too so they are pretty fair.  Numbers were pulled from posted factory ammo ads.  
View All Quotes

Wow!  That is really great.  That is a pretty good apples to apples comparison in terms of BC/SD.  

I would love to see a similar table out of 8" or 8.5" barrels.  I am sure we could find the data for 300 blk & 6.8 easy enough.  Is there data from your 8 or 8.5" barrels w/ factory loadings available in this thread?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Wow!  That is really great.  That is a pretty good apples to apples comparison in terms of BC/SD.  

I would love to see a similar table out of 8" or 8.5" barrels.  I am sure we could find the data for 300 blk & 6.8 easy enough.  Is there data from your 8 or 8.5" barrels w/ factory loadings available in this thread?
View All Quotes

I will try to pull that together for you. The results may shock you. The WLV in a 10.5" and 8.2" is very efficient.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Muad:
Looks like I'll finally get a chance to play with the Wolverine

http://ar15hunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/AR15-Hunter-277-wolverine-teaser-1.jpg

Have fun!

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Shot my first 10 rounds this evening. It took 3 rounds to get sighted, fired 2 more to confirm. This is my first five shot group at 100 yards....wooooohooooo

18"ss barrel
Newly formed LC brass
CCI #41 primers
20gr 5744
90gr Sierra HP loaded to a COL of 2.155
10rnd string Avg 2391, CED Chrono @ 10'

Now off to load my ladder rounds.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:51:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#48]
My new 10.5" 1/7

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Just found this thread, looks like a neat cartridge.

I have some more reading to do but where can I buy a barrel?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:30:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dvalin_MT] [#50]
Originally Posted By 10mm_:
Just found this thread, looks like a neat cartridge.

I have some more reading to do but where can I buy a barrel?
View Quote

Yep, I'm having a great time with it!
http://www.maddogweapons.com/store/c4/.277_Wolverine_Components.html
More info on the forum too
http://mdws.forumchitchat.com/
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top