User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 12
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gotta hand it to DPMS, they showed the entire industry how to release a product!  Introduce it, days later have them in stores ready for purchase.
View Quote

I wish!  My local dealers can't even get one from any of their distributers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Selling fast and building them everyday!

Maybe have your dealer call some more distributers, they should be able to locate one for you.
View Quote

Just for clarification. AR15 hand guards/aftermarket rails will fit on this upper?

Example: I would like to instal a Centurion CMR Rail-the AR15 version.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just for clarification. AR15 hand guards/aftermarket rails will fit on this upper?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe have your dealer call some more distributers, they should be able to locate one for you.

They would if you had a barrel nut that would fit both the DPMS upper and the handguard. From what I have understood, ATM only DPMS AR15 hand guards with proprietary barrel nuts will fit on the Gen 2 .308.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They would if you had a barrel nut that would fit both the DPMS upper and the handguard. From what I have understood, ATM only DPMS AR15 hand guards with proprietary barrel nuts will fit on the Gen 2 .308.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The nut would have to be bored out and rethreaded.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got a couple dealers checking multiple distributers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will wait until this issue is resolved.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I can assure you distributors have these in stock.

Edit to add I know where the SASS and Recon Gen 2 are in stock. I have not seen a Hunter.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can assure you distributors have these in stock.
View Quote

Please pm with contact info for a couple distributers who have the GII Hunter in stock.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep who's got he hunter in stock
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#11]
What about hand guards that use existing nuts, like the apex?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What about hand guards that use existing nuts, like the apex?
View Quote

I'm sitting here on DPMS's webpage now reading out the GII and it SURE as shit sounds like IF your standard AR-15/5.56 rail bolts onto or over a standard AR/M4 barrel nut, then it will work with the the new DMPS GII.
Sounds like it's a proprietary nut on the inside etc but the outside it spec'ed to allow the usage of AR/M4 rails that will bolt over the standard AR/M4 barrel nut.
That is somewhat disappointing because I was hoping to get one of these and put a Geissele rail on it.
Either way it sounds like this is going to be the .308 rifle to go with. I was all set to buy a stripped lower and put something together but, now with this hitting the market I've gotta rethink the whole plan.

Does anyone know if DPMS is going to offer the parts (stripped lowes etc) for sale or only as complete rifles?

Can I assume the GII with work with Magpul Pmag Gen 2 and 3's?

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yep who's got he hunter in stock
View Quote

In for a hunter as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#14]
It's going to be real simple for companies to make new nuts, I think.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Not to slight DPMS or even be critical but why do they continue to move away from where the industry is going? Proprietary parts are not what people want. Some of the new upgrades sound great but I am still skeptical. Seems like they tried resolving non-issues. As good as they look, part of me still thinks these will be comparable to the original DPMS rifles, especially considering the price point.

I'd loved to be proved wrong, this is just a thought ever since I saw the ad.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#16]
You do not think weight was an issue with the LR?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Moving away from where others are going? Wow. They are leading. The industry is going to have to copy them or hemorrhage market share. This pretty much obsoletes all other 308 ARs. The only thing is how quickly people realize that the game is now changed. Why wait a year and pay $3500 for some of the others when to can put a nicer handguard on this and then have a better designed rifle?

It reminds me of when HDTV came out and the cheapest HD camcorder was inherently better than a $60,000 low definition studio camera.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not to slight DPMS or even be critical but why do they continue to move away from where the industry is going? Proprietary parts are not what people want. Some of the new upgrades sound great but I am still skeptical. Seems like they tried resolving non-issues. As good as they look, part of me still thinks these will be comparable to the original DPMS rifles, especially considering the price point.

View Quote

+1

I asked about the RRA LR8....were they still selling considering that more standardized platforms. The answer is yes, they sell every one they can pump out the door. That does not mean that people are clamoring for the LR8... Which is why I don't understand what DPMS has done.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Moving away from where others are going? Wow. They are leading. The industry is going to have to copy them or hemorrhage market share. This pretty much obsoletes all other 308 ARs. The only thing is how quickly people realize that the game is now changed. Why wait a year and pay $3500 for some of the others when to can put a nicer handguard on this and then have a better designed rifle?

It reminds me of when HDTV came out and the cheapest HD camcorder was inherently better than a $60,000 low definition studio camera.
View Quote

Until they are proven to be more reliable, that is just wishful thinking.
Like I said, I could be wrong. I would just be very suprised if they created a more reliable rifle than a LMT or KAC yet sells for $1,200-$1,400. I believe DPMS leads the market based on price, not quality. I would be even more shocked if LMT, LaRue, KAC, etc... changed their design based off a DPMS idea.

Only time will tell.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1

I asked about the RRA LR8....were they still selling considering that more standardized platforms. The answer is yes, they sell every one they can pump out the door. That does not mean that people are clamoring for the LR8... Which is why I don't understand what DPMS has done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I think you guys are not in touch with what people have been asking for almost forever. Shedding weight and size is a huge deal on these guns that are already too big. Comparing them to the LR8 is not exactly the same if for no other reason than the magazines. The LR8 has been a dog since it came out which is why Bushmaster dropped it and gave it back to Rock River.

Only time will tell but my prediction is that these will blow up and with the volume that DPMS puts out it could easily become a new standard. A 308 that handles like a 223 is a pretty big deal.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Really liking the new G2 AP4...Can't wait to check one out!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I just pretty much treat the big guns like bolt guns. I don't expect interchangeability in them.
Remington 700s enjoy the broadest support in the industry, as far as that goes, but there's some things they don't do.

Sometimes a Tikka T3 is the right answer. And it doesn't bother me that all the things available for a 700 don't fit the T3.

Similarly, I believe my Mega MATEN in .260 makes a pretty great tactical rifle, where weighing 14 lbs isn't that big a deal.
Now, for a hunting rifle, it's damn hard to get one of those guns below 10 lbs, and that's about my limt of what I'll carry up a mountain.

I'm very excited to have a lightweight option, even if all the cool guy stuff I like isn't immediately available.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone have details on the barrel contour of the GII Hunter? I'm looking quite hard at that one for a SA precision gun, mainly because I don't like the weight of the SASS and I hate quad rails. Then again if the Recon was offered in an 18", that would suffice too. Also, does anyone have the Hunter available yet?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I believe DPMS leads the market based on price, not quality. I would be even more shocked if LMT, LaRue, KAC, etc... changed their design based off a DPMS idea.
View Quote

But this is right here in plain sight. It is clear that they now have the leading design.

LMT, LaRue, and KAC will have to change their design to keep current. Sure the DPMS does not have a nice handguard, but you can buy the rifle now and change it later. The LMT was always too heavy. I already have KAC. The LaRue is the lightest previous design but I am not going forward with my plans for that.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But this is right here in plain sight. It is clear that they now have the leading design.

LMT, LaRue, and KAC will have to change their design to keep current.
View Quote

Who (other than you and DPMS) is saying this will prove to be better than other .308AR's?

They have A design, maybe even a good design, but not yet a leading design. That has to be earned.
High end manufacturers aren't just going to jump on a DPMS bandwagon to save 1lb. Especially when it hasn't been put through its paces.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just pretty much treat the big guns like bolt guns. I don't expect interchangeability in them.
Remington 700s enjoy the broadest support in the industry, as far as that goes, but there's some things they don't do.

Sometimes a Tikka T3 is the right answer. And it doesn't bother me that all the things available for a 700 don't fit the T3.

Similarly, I believe my Mega MATEN in .260 makes a pretty great tactical rifle, where weighing 14 lbs isn't that big a deal.
Now, for a hunting rifle, it's damn hard to get one of those guns below 10 lbs, and that's about my limt of what I'll carry up a mountain.

I'm very excited to have a lightweight option, even if all the cool guy stuff I like isn't immediately available.
View Quote

yes sir. I agree 100%. cant wait to see if they come out with any more caliber options! Also. Love your avatar. Sad they canceled the show
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#27]
A bunch of people here are saying that this changes the game. I don't see how it cannot be obvious. I bet it is to the other makers. They must be having emergency meetings on how to survive it, or are in denial. It is like being Blackberry when the iPhone came out but on a smaller scale. Or when the Glock came out and I knew right away what it was and others still didn't get it even years after seeing one. It may take 5 years to play out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I will wait until it has been out a while.  The bolt head is smaller than the normal LR, the barrel extension is smaller, how will these smaller parts hold up to loads at the high end of the scale over time?  How long will everything on it be proprietary?  It will be years before it can rival the current LR platforms.   There are minor differences between the AR-10 and the LR but other than receivers and some small parts most internals are interchangable.  This new one has no interchangability, and until it has been out for a while no parts support.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Who (other than you and DPMS) is saying this will prove to be better than other .308AR's?

They have A design, maybe even a good design, but not yet a leading design. That has to be earned.
High end manufacturers aren't just going to jump on a DPMS bandwagon to save 1lb. Especially when it hasn't been put through its paces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMT, LaRue, and KAC will have to change their design to keep current.

The High End Manufacturers all eventually jumped on the DPMS bandwagon what makes you think they wont do it again? Everybody spouts the Pmag standard and that is thanks to DPMS. I think the current large frame is popular enough that it will be around for a long time but this new style will do just fine and if it sells well others will take notice for sure.

It would be nice to see the total production numbers but I think a lot of people underestimate how much of the market DPMS has. My understanding is that at one time their production was pretty close to equal of everyone else combined. If it bleeds over to the Remington and Bushmaster side then it will be a huge deal.
Quoted:
A bunch of people here are saying that this changes the game. I don't see how it cannot be obvious. I bet it is to the other makers. They must be having emergency meetings on how to survive it, or are in denial. It is like being Blackberry when the iPhone came out but on a smaller scale. Or when the Glock came out and I knew right away what it was and others still didn't get it even years after seeing one. It may take 5 years to play out.

That is pretty close to my feelings.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The High End Manufacturers all eventually jumped on the DPMS bandwagon what makes you think they wont do it again? Everybody spouts the Pmag standard and that is thanks to DPMS.
View Quote

You might want to read further into that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The High End Manufacturers all eventually jumped on the DPMS bandwagon what makes you think they wont do it again? Everybody spouts the Pmag standard and that is thanks to DPMS.

You lost me, help me out.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DPMS uses SR-25 pattern magazines, which if there is any standard in the big guns, that's it, since those are the only mags with an NSN.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

DPMS uses SR-25 pattern magazines, which if there is any standard in the big guns, that's it, since those are the only mags with an NSN.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point was that nobody was in a rush to make SR25 mags it was DPMS that made the market big enough to be viable for the mag manufacturers. DPMS probably sells more of their guns in a year than Knights has sold on the civi side in 10.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think you guys are not in touch with what people have been asking for almost forever. Shedding weight and size is a huge deal on these guns that are already too big. Comparing them to the LR8 is not exactly the same if for no other reason than the magazines. The LR8 has been a dog since it came out which is why Bushmaster dropped it and gave it back to Rock River.

Only time will tell but my prediction is that these will blow up and with the volume that DPMS puts out it could easily become a new standard. A 308 that handles like a 223 is a pretty big deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I agree. This rifle will sell really well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My point was that nobody was in a rush to make SR25 mags it was DPMS that made the market big enough to be viable for the mag manufacturers. DPMS probably sells more of their guns in a year than Knights has sold on the civi side in 10.

View Quote

That may be true but not due to a superior design or quality.
Traditionally, price is what drives the sale of DPMS rifles. I'm sure these new rifles will sell like hot cakes just as the older ones have in the past. I just don't expect them to set any new industry standards nor do I expect them to rival the quality of higher end .308's.
We will see.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#36]
I said it in at the start. MARKET SHARE will decide if DPMS will change the game in the AR 308 design. Money drives everything.
If DPMS sold SHIT and everyone bought it SO WOULD KAC AND LARUE.

The end

AL
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I said it in at the start. MARKET SHARE will decide if DPMS will change the game in the AR 308 design. Money drives everything.
If DPMS sold SHIT and everyone bought it SO WOULD KAC AND LARUE.

The end

AL
View Quote

Except KAC and LaRue's wouldn't stink.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Every ones shit stinks LOL. If it starts to hurt the wallet of the "upper tier" companies then they will make changes they will have no choice.

AL
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Traditionally, price is what drives the sale of DPMS rifles. I'm sure these new rifles will sell like hot cakes just as the older ones have in the past. I just don't expect them to set any new industry standards nor do I expect them to rival the quality of higher end .308's.
We will see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We will see.

I certainly never said they were better only that they become the "standard" because of the volume they produce. I am a Armalite guy and I love my gun. Having proprietary mags never bothered me. I think it's a better gun than DPMS makes.

As far as setting a standard all it would take is them killing their LR308 pattern and switching everything to the new platform but I am sure they will keep the old gun around for a while.

If they sell well other will follow suit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#40]
for me, the new G2 was probably the most exciting new product at SHOT. While I have owned many 7.62 rifles in the last couple of decades, I never purchased an AR-10 variant due to parts issues, mag issues, weight, ETC. This new offering has me excited, and if it has me excited, I know others are too. This new rifle IMO will set the new standard on what an AR in 7.62 should be.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#41]
What sells me on this new GII over anything else on the market is the fact it's going to be so much more compatible with standard AR/M4 .233/5.56 parts. No fitting AR grips, a wide variety of rails from the AR/M4 platform will work etc.
That alone would make me pick this over anything else out there regardless of quality.
DPMS stands behind their products. That coupled with the fact that I know my way around an AR enough that if it has issues, I can make it work. This is definitely a product win in my book.
Every time I see someone post that a certain brand of AR is crap and that they I bought this other brand of AR that runs flawlessly I always think that the person posting that must not know there way around guns. Give me a POS AR and I'll make it run. I would have no concerns buying this even if it's not been threw the paces yet.
Now my real question is will DPMS offer the parts on their own? I do not see any configuration that makes me want to run right out and buy one. I like the barrel on the RECON but I do not need or want the Magpul crap or that rail. I want to use their GII lower to put together my own spec'ed lower and then use their upper and the style of barrel on the RECON with a rail more to my liking.

Does anyone know?

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#42]
In another thread, DPMS stated they will eventually offer all the parts for these.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

In another thread, DPMS stated they will eventually offer all the parts for these.
View Quote

HELL YES! That is what I wanted to hear. I might start ordering other parts now then. Lower build parts, a bolt onto the factory barrel nut rail etc. That way I'm not trying to come up with all the money for parts at once.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#44]
You can bet that many manufacturers ARE having emergency meetings right now.  I'm guessing that KAC and LaRue are probably not.

My story is that I was deer hunting with a 5.56 and happened across a hog.  Three head shots later, the hog was still very much alive.
Next year I brought a DPMS SASS .308 to the woods.  It was plenty of gun, but heavy as heck.
Then I got a few 6.8s, since they were powerful enough, yet just as light as a 5.56.

With the Gen II, I can have my .308 with the weight very near that of a 5.56. Win-Win.
I want to see what Bushmaster offers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:That may be true but not due to a superior design or quality.
We will see.
View Quote

That is like in 2000 saying that you don't expect a $1500 HD camcorder to rival the quality of a $60,000 standard def studio camera, You are right in that it is missing some of the stuff that the high-end has, but it doesn't matter - the high end is dead because it is based on an obsolete platform. Dead. Just not everyone realizes it yet. The DPMS is lacking a high-end rail. So add one. It uses many AR15 parts. If anything on it is not high-end enough for you, just change that part.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You can bet that many manufacturers ARE having emergency meetings right now.  I'm guessing that KAC and LaRue are probably not..
View Quote

Not for commercial sales yet as they probably have two years worth of orders. But they are probably saying "Maybe we need to match this concept (smaller size and more AR15 parts) in our military offerings?"
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I guess I missed the page where this was universally accepted as a new standard.
Seems to have a ton of support without even being tested.

Im not doubting the platform, just don't understand the hype.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#48]
It's not universally accepted. I gave the Glock example. I still hear people say they don't like them and think they are ugly. I never thought they were ugly and knew that it was an innovation immediately. I understand not predicting a breakthrough before it happens, but I don't understand not seeing one when it is in plain sight.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I guess I missed the page where this was universally accepted as a new standard.
Seems to have a ton of support without even being tested.

Im not doubting the platform, just don't understand the hype.
View Quote

First off there isn't a standard in the large frame guns but DPMS has the most out there. What is not to get?? I am confused why less weight and better ergos are not a big deal to you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I am confused why less weight and better ergos are not a big deal to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I am confused why less weight and better ergos are not a big deal to you.

Never said that they weren't. Weight can be saved in several places. Ergo's have never been a problem with other .308's.

Quoted:
First off there isn't a standard in the large frame guns but DPMS has the most out there.

That was sarcasm.

Again, I'm not saying any of this to bash DPMS. I just don't get the hype, especially considering the lack of first hand experience and testing with this new rifle.
Page / 12
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top