Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are way more than 3 different AR10-pattern guns on the market, with their own unique receivers, BCG's, and other critical parts, to include lack of parts and servicing support from the mfgrs.

SR25
Eagle Arms AR10 (re-branded Armalite, no connection to the original Armalite)
DPMS
ASA
Bushmaster BAR-10 (2003-2004)
RRA LAR-8 (designers of the BAR-10)
POF
CMMG (various magazine compatible lowers)
New Armalite AR10A (SR25 magazine compatible)
etc.

The issue is, hunters and action shooters want lightweight. 1990-2013 AR10 pattern guns are just heavy, with beefy BCG's that generate significant system weight, as well as secondary recoiling mass.
Everybody except some of the long-range AR10 guys have been asking for lightweight solutions for the AR10, and DPMS recognized this, and are the first ones to really respond to it by wiping the drawing board clean.

Since they are part of the Freedom Group, and already share the basic receivers, LPK's, and BCG of the LR-308 with the Remington R-25, it won't surprise me in the least if we see the new Remington .308-based rifles next year using the same receiver set and BCG as the GII, but with Remington barrels and branding.

Same will most likely go for the shell company known as Bushmaster, which is owned by the Freedom Group as well.  Bushmaster is only a name now.  That's the closest we will most likely get to standardization of the new lightweight AR10, with the 3 largest market sources for AR15 family rifles.

Their Product Manager said they will be selling parts for the GII, since DPMS has always been a parts company, although complete rifles will take priority.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
There are way more than 3 different AR10-pattern guns on the market, with their own unique receivers, BCG's, and other critical parts, to include lack of parts and servicing support from the mfgrs.

SR25
Eagle Arms AR10 (re-branded Armalite, no connection to the original Armalite)
DPMS
ASA
Bushmaster BAR-10 (2003-2004)
RRA LAR-8 (designers of the BAR-10)
POF
CMMG (various magazine compatible lowers)
New Armalite AR10A (SR25 magazine compatible)
etc.

The issue is, hunters and action shooters want lightweight. 1990-2013 AR10 pattern guns are just heavy, with beefy BCG's that generate significant system weight, as well as secondary recoiling mass.
Everybody except some of the long-range AR10 guys have been asking for lightweight solutions for the AR10, and DPMS recognized this, and are the first ones to really respond to it by wiping the drawing board clean.

Since they are part of the Freedom Group, and already share the basic receivers, LPK's, and BCG of the LR-308 with the Remington R-25, it won't surprise me in the least if we see the new Remington .308-based rifles next year using the same receiver set and BCG as the GII, but with Remington barrels and branding.

Same will most likely go for the shell company known as Bushmaster, which is owned by the Freedom Group as well.  Bushmaster is only a name now.  That's the closest we will most likely get to standardization of the new lightweight AR10, with the 3 largest market sources for AR15 family rifles.

Exactly if you want one you must buy a complete new rifle from them. They wouldn't make as much if they sold parts to update the old lr lowers.

Their Product Manager said they will be selling parts for the GII, since DPMS has always been a parts company, although complete rifles will take priority.

And you need what parts to build one? Lower, complete upper receiver. carrier,bolt,barrel, barrel nut, charge handle. What can you use from your pile of parts? Trigger group, stock assembly, hand guard maybe, grip, flash hider, gas tube and block possibly.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#2]
only real advantage I see is the ability to use AR15 hand guards but that may not be entirely true since I thought somewhere in the thread it was said the barrel nut is not ar15 but something completely new.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#3]
The barrel nut is different, but it has common interface with DPMS AR15 float tubes with the external threading on the nut for tube attachment.  It works with:

* SASS handguard
* Carbon Fiber HG
* Aluminum float tube as used on the bull barrel target guns
* DPMS quad rail HG's

The "only" real advantage is you get what the LR308 should have been from the start, especially for those of us that hunt with AR15's and AR10's who are looking for something other than .223 Rem, but want AR15 profiling and light weight.

Another thing they have done with the upper receiver in the ejection port area is re-design the ejection path allowance so that brass doesn't get trashed. They opened the port more to the rear, and there is an angled slot in it that allows the brass enough clearance from that area to eject freely.  For those that reload, that's a big plus.

They also generously funneled the magazine well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
only real advantage I see is the ability to use AR15 hand guards but that may not be entirely true since I thought somewhere in the thread it was said the barrel nut is not ar15 but something completely new.
View Quote

Changing a thread pattern on a nut is a lot easier than engineering and making new handguards.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
In for a .260!
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, I want one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard Lancer has something cool as well
Any thoughts from those that saw Both?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lancer had a large platform mag, from what I heard.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like every barrel is 1x10 twist. Does that mean 762 NATO ammo is a no-go in this platform too?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Kinda want.

My 308 is a hog...
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks like every barrel is 1x10 twist. Does that mean 762 NATO ammo is a no-go in this platform too?
View Quote

7.62 NATO shoots fine through 1/10 twist.

The GII basically makes the 30 RAR pointless, unless you are counting on upper receiver sales only to those who want to drop onto an existing lower. Since Freedom Group is in the seat to finance both, they will likely opt for more margins on complete rifles, and I can't see any benefit other than that with the 30 RAR, especially since ammo availability for it has been scarce.

It's pointless to bog down the already over-diversified ammo market with yet another caliber, so the .308 GII should kill the 30 RAR.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I hunt with my 308 and ar15's also seriously the 308 is not bad at all hell I carried around my 22" safety harbor 50BMG upper on a seekins lower with a PRS stock for about two hours with no sling one time and that rifle has to weighat least 18-19lbs and it was not killing me that bad.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I hunt with my 308 and ar15's also seriously the 308 is not bad at all hell I carried around my 22" safety harbor 50BMG upper on a seekins lower with a PRS stock for about two hours with no sling one time and that rifle has to weighat least 18-19lbs and it was not killing me that bad.
View Quote

For those of us crawling up mountains past 7000 feet, lighter is better.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This might finally be the .308 AR I buy!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would the twist matter?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep, they did. They also have a dedicated .308AR coming out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lancer had a large platform mag, from what I heard.

Yep, they did. They also have a dedicated .308AR coming out.

Excellent. They make good stuff, I'm happy to see them in that game.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to say what I said in the other thread...

I'm a little stumped why DPMS would set themselves apart like this. If it is true that everyone was clamoring for a lighter 308 then they could have made improvements to the upper while staying compatible with current lowers. They could have worked on lightening the lower some without major modifications too.

Personally, I just bought the light hunter and shot about 60 rounds through it to get it sighted in and begin load development. And my shoulder was not clamoring for a lighter rifle. If they wanted a direction to move, I liked what they did with the Bushmaster ORC. Midlength, CL barreled upper.

The business decisioins that DPMS has been making have been . The new rail heights? The sporticals dominating their model offerings? Carbine length gas systems on everything under 20"? When I was looking to buy I wanted a 20" rifle with forward assist and ejection port cover. The Light hunter was the only model I saw that didn't cost $2k.. And they said they wanted it to be more compatible with the AR15...exactly how many parts are now compatible to the AR15 vs the Gen 1 model? Seems to me that it just looks more like a standard AR.

But they made their decisions, I guess it will play out now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm a little stumped why DPMS would set themselves apart like this. If it is true that everyone was clamoring for a lighter 308 then they could have made improvements to the upper while staying compatible with current lowers. They could have worked on lightening the lower some without major modifications too.

Personally, I just bought the light hunter and shot about 60 rounds through it to get it sighted in and begin load development. And my shoulder was not clamoring for a lighter rifle. If they wanted a direction to move, I liked what they did with the Bushmaster ORC. Midlength, CL barreled upper.

The business decisioins that DPMS has been making have been . The new rail heights? The sporticals dominating their model offerings? Carbine length gas systems on everything under 20"? When I was looking to buy I wanted a 20" rifle with forward assist and ejection port cover. The Light hunter was the only model I saw that didn't cost $2k.. And they said they wanted it to be more compatible with the AR15...exactly how many parts are now compatible to the AR15 vs the Gen 1 model? Seems to me that it just looks more like a standard AR.

View Quote

I think it will work out well for them.  I agree with you about the gas systems.  It's interesting that they offer a 16" AR-15 with a rifle length gas system.  Too bad they are still offering mostly 1-9 twist barrels in 223/5.56.  I've decided to get a Hunter model 20" GII and have the barrel cut back to 17"-18" and threaded for now until the aftermarket starts offering better barrels.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Is the Gen II out yet? I'm thinking about picking up a AP4.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is the Gen II out yet? I'm thinking about picking up a AP4.
View Quote

Yes, the Gen II's are out now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:I think it will work out well for them.  I agree with you about the gas systems.  It's interesting that they offer a 16" AR-15 with a rifle length gas system.  Too bad they are still offering mostly 1-9 twist barrels in 223/5.56.  I've decided to get a Hunter model 20" GII and have the barrel cut back to 17"-18" and threaded for now until the aftermarket starts offering better barrels.
View Quote

I once had a new pistol customized and had a BAR STO barrel put in without shooting the factory barrel. Years later I realized that the factory barrel may have been as good or even better. Now I would only replace a barrel if it was not accurate and if recrowning it didn't help. There is no reason to assume it will come and not be accurate until you try it and learn otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I once had a new pistol customized and had a BAR STO barrel put in without shooting the factory barrel. Years later I realized that the factory barrel may have been as good or even better. Now I would only replace a barrel if it was not accurate and if recrowning it didn't help. There is no reason to assume it will come and not be accurate until you try it and learn otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I think it will work out well for them.  I agree with you about the gas systems.  It's interesting that they offer a 16" AR-15 with a rifle length gas system.  Too bad they are still offering mostly 1-9 twist barrels in 223/5.56.  I've decided to get a Hunter model 20" GII and have the barrel cut back to 17"-18" and threaded for now until the aftermarket starts offering better barrels.

I don't plan to swap it out before shooting it, but there is plenty of reason to assume that mass production factory firearm barrels are not usually on par with barrels from dedicated barrel makers.  It's quite possible that it will be a great shooter out of the box, but my experience tells me that it's not highly likely.  The Remington 700 5R I bought a few years ago had no rifling in the muzzle end of the bore and the Savage I had prior to that was accurate, but the chatter in the bore was so bad that it sounded like a zipper when running a bore brush through it and would consequently copper foul horribly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

While it had to be a hard choice to stray from the norm if this is as small and light as they say it may very well become the new norm.

The couple people I have talked to that laid hands on them said it was amazing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hence the direction I have gone by getting totally out of .30 bores. The 7mm-08 and .260 Rem trash the .308 Winchester, and the .30 cal nazis in Army Ordnance Board from the last century can be thanked for that and its influence on American hunters. I'm not gonna say, "May they rot in hell!", but they are on the crap list in my book.

I attended a Sniper Instructor Course once with a light-profiled bolt gun chambered in .308, and by the afternoon of the first day, I had a headache and man PMS. I was shooting suppressed the entire time too, with a TRG bipod and McMillan A4 stock. Load was the 155gr Scenar going pretty fast. The rifle blows the M24 away for carrying in the field, and even getting in and out of vehicles, but it sucked to train with for a multiple-day course.

The BCG and receiver set of the 1990's era .308 AR's is really the problem, since AR15 parts commonality was a priority, namely the receiver extension and LPK. By making the constraint of the bolt tail having to be narrower to fit in an AR15 extension, this lengthened the SR25 bolt carrier and receiver set. If you ever get to handle an original production AR10 from the Dutch, it has a shorter, fatter BCG, and a more compact receiver set. They are wonderful guns to shoot and carry.

The DPMS GII is what the larger cartridge frame should really be for a lightweight rifle. The SCAR is almost as light, and you don't hear a lot of complaints about it. For hunters and action shooters, the GII is going to be very popular.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I am really excited. Had an 20" ar-10 Sold it. I've been looking for another 308 ar and this will fit the bill nicely. Just purchased the Gii 308 recon. Should be shipping to my FFL soon. I am taking the costa ludus intermediate distance course in april. It calls for 1200 rounds minimum over 3 days. I will post a review afterwards. I plan on ff hand guard, gieselle trigger, maybe send to adco for barrel dimpling. . Already have the vortex 2.5-10x 32 in a larue mount and the Aimpoint h1 in Larue offset mount. I'll start a separate thread once everything is in.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:17:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks like Buds has some for sale!

Link
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:59:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Is dpms going to sell the gII Bolt by itself. If so will it fit the first gen bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:41:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is dpms going to sell the gII Bolt by itself. If so will it fit the first gen bolt carrier.
View Quote

Doesn't look that way from the pics.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looks like Buds has some for sale!

Link
View Quote

Must resist temptation...
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Very Interesting. Ben thinking about a way build a lighter 308 carbine. This could fill the bill!
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Picked my Recon up tonight...serial number less than 75!

Hope they took there time on the first 100...Will update hopefully after the weekend if I get to take it out. Overall impressions is VERY AR15ish...
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hope they took there time on the first 100...Will update hopefully after the weekend if I get to take it out. Overall impressions is VERY AR15ish...
View Quote

how much does it weigh?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#34]
7.8 pounds on the bathroom scale without a magazine.

The barrel is HEAVY behind the gas block (not sure if all RECON's are built that way). Barrel is stamped DPMS 7.62X51 1-10 G2. Does this mean the barrels are different that the Gen 1's or just the barrel extension?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#35]
double
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I Think its innovative and a trick looking piece but there was already two standards to the 308 pattern and now we have a third which is introduced by the creator of one of the previous two. For what exactly to make a system more standardized but in reality you are adding new proprietary parts to the mix of confusion around the 308 platform a BCG, Upper, Lower, Barrel extension and barrel nut. I personally do not find my CMMG 308 that much bigger than my AR15's and it takes a load of AR15 parts. Main complaint is lack of hand guard's but that does not warrant the addition of a new platform that takes ar15 handguards to add to the confusion. I would been happier with them releasing ten new hand guards that were economical for the LR308 Oh wait that would have to be 20 because DPMS just recently changed upper receiver heights
View Quote

Great points, I would personally love to see someone or (more of provided they exist) make a forged .308 Receiver and have it more competitive in price than the billets currently in the market. I dare not say that the .308 market is as crowded as the AR15 especially considering the fact that there are two proprietary standards and now a third. Likewise, to some extent for there not to be cheaper alternatives to the expensive prices of billet receivers is a bit crazy.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I got to handle one of these at work. Haven't shot it, but it feels great. Much smaller and lighter than my Colt 901, and every other 308 AR I have picked up. It really feels more like a standard AR15 than a AR10.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Gotta hand it to DPMS, they showed the entire industry how to release a product!  Introduce it, days later have them in stores ready for purchase.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Gotta hand it to DPMS, they showed the entire industry how to release a product!  Introduce it, days later have them in stores ready for purchase.
View Quote

Ruger started doing that a couple years ago. I wish everyone would follow suit
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not compatible. Look at what's different, besides the lug geometry:

Regular DPMS LR308 bolt:

DPMS GII Bolt:

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

My very first impression as well:  Feels like an AR15.

Who wants to bet that Freedom Group will introduce Remington and Bushmaster versions of the GII?

Bye bye R25, hello ________? Hunter market with hydro-dip camo patterns and Remmy barrels.

Bye bye Bushmaster 7.62 ORC, hello _________?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#42]
That is one proprietary mofo, up n down. Good to see DPMS breaking the mold I spose...
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:01:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Who wants to bet that Freedom Group will introduce Remington and Bushmaster versions of the GII?

Bye bye R25, hello ________? Hunter market with hydro-dip camo patterns and Remmy barrels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a request in at Bushmaster asking if/when they will adopt the GII platform.
Everyone knows that Bushmasters are more powerful.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Initial Impressions so far:

VERY strong recoil spring. DPMS obviously have to up the spring rate to handle the reduced bolt weight. This rifle will definitely need an aftermarket charging handle. I hope the aftermarket begins adopting this platform quickly

The factory "2 stage" trigger on this rifle is actually acceptable. On all of my AR's, I use Geislle's or ALG triggers. I will probably not be changing this Trigger group out. It is NOT a Geiselle but not many triggers are.

I can't wait to get a different rail installed. Hopefully, again, the aftermarket is busy working . The included rail isn't 'bad", it just isn't good, I prefer a non-quad rail if possible, or a smaller diameter such as the DD's. The rail will be replaced.

IF the barrel has adequate accuracy I will NOT be changing the barrel. The balance and ergonomics of this rifle is great as is. I have a DPMS LR308 and I was considering a SCAR17 previously to meet my desire for a more manageable field rifle, but I really like the AR platform's aftermarket. I was concerned the heavy barrel on this rifle would cause the rifle to be unbalanced, but I really have no issues in this regard.

Finish of the rifle is acceptable with even Teflon finish.

Aftermarket safety selector will be installed, but not sure which one I will be going with.

My gut feeling is DPMS will be selling a LOT of these rifles once the word gets out.

I can't wait to shoot this rifle and see what kind of accuracy it has. I will post back hopefully after the weekend if the weather cooperates.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:54:13 AM EDT
[#45]
This might have been covered, but since the upper is 223 free float handguard compatible does that mean that KAC URX's will bolt right up?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:04:17 AM EDT
[#46]
The Gen2 will require a proprietary nut. The rail should all be AR15 spec otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:15:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The Gen2 will require a proprietary nut. The rail should all be AR15 spec otherwise.
View Quote

That probably means no then, if the threads are proprietary. The KAC rails screw onto the receiver and the barrel nut threads into the upper. So if the threads are the same then it should work unless the barrel extension is different on the outside as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

And still waiting on the PSA entry.....
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine you will be for some time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#50]
The GII upper receiver thread interface for the barrel nut is somewhere between an AR15's and the LR308's, but the outside threads of the GII barrel nut are compatible with the DPMS AR15 free float tube systems.

I handled an existing LR308 with the 18" melonited barrel, and it was actually surprisingly lightweight as well. This configuration in the GII will be a hot seller I think:

One trick that Adam Ballard was playing on people at SHOT involved him grabbing 2 guns off the shelf. He said to close your eyes, then placed the two rifles in each hand and asked you to guess which was which.  I was confused because I thought I would be able to tell the weight difference between an LR308 and the GII, as I thought he was demonstrating the difference between the two. With my puzzler still puzzling because there was no weight difference between the 2 rifles in my hands, he pointed to the one in my right hand and said,

"That's an AR15."

Then you go, "Oooohhhhhhh...." Because the GII is in your left hand, and both guns literally feel the same.
Page / 12
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top