Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 12
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
First let me say . . . .  TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

However, they used the same dubstep mix that NEMO used in their OMEN intro video. LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And at about 2:35 some tech weenie or marketing weenie says the recievers are made form, get this, "MIL_SPEC ALUMINUM" hahahahahahahahahahahha, What a tool. Next he is gonna be talking about a dual color quad retical red dot hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another upper we were playing with today. Vert grip is kinda needed when things get fast and loud.
http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u601/SLRrifleworks/G22_zps1c0cd560.jpg
View Quote

Is that an auto sear hole?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Another upper we were playing with today. Vert grip is kinda needed when things get fast and loud.

View Quote
Did you cut the barrel down?  If so, what length is it?

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I am very happy with my WW SRC .308. Weight 7.5lb stock. This looks great, though
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
How are the ballistics of a .308 out of the shorter barrel?
Thinking a recon cut down to 11-12" would be rather handy.  But for it's intended role for my purposes it still needs to be effective in the 2-400 range.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes its a postie.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that an auto sear hole?

Yes its a postie.

Nice.

I'd love to see the engineering that went into that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone know what stock that is? Manufacturer?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MFT Minimalist.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, i just pulled the trigger on an AP4.  $1184 from Buds.  I'll post up pics when i get it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

What model handguard is this? And does anything special have to be done to fit the G2 Recon?
Thx.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Help me out folks. I got through the first 10 pages of the thread. I like this gun and will order a AP4.
I'd like to go even lighter.
Lighter stock suggestions?
I like MOE+ grip so I'll likely do that unless there is some superlight grip somewhere?
Hand guard? I won't be hanging anything off this gun, most likely just iron sights or maybe a Sparc. What's better and lighter for handguard but isn't going to cheese grate my hand on a pic rail?

I'll say it. This is a SHTF gun for me. But SHTF for me means staying put, I won't be moving much. So in the very highly unlikely event that shtf event EVER happens for me I would not need much ammo because I'd not last long. Having something that could break up a bad guy's cover would be useful. Should I wait for .260 chambering?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Help me out folks. I got through the first 10 pages of the thread. I like this gun and will order a AP4.
I like MOE+ grip so I'll likely do that unless there is some superlight grip somewhere?
Hand guard? I won't be hanging anything off this gun, most likely just iron sights or maybe a Sparc. What's better and lighter for handguard but isn't going to cheese grate my hand on a pic rail?

I'll say it. This is a SHTF gun for me. But SHTF for me means staying put, I won't be moving much. So in the very highly unlikely event that shtf event EVER happens for me I would not need much ammo because I'd not last long. Having something that could break up a bad guy's cover would be useful. Should I wait for .260 chambering?
View Quote

I would consider the AP4 with this Sampson handguard, or the Midwest Industries handguard.  The gun is very lightweight as-is.

Send it to ADCO or a competent, as in competent, gunsmith, and have them do the handguad removal, lo profile gas block installation, and new handguard install.  ADCO will also do barrel dimples for you if you think you need it ti lighten the gun even more, but these are about as light as I would want a .308 Winchester.

For your needs, .260 Rem would be a major headache in terms of finding ammo that will run in it, especially a carbine.  Not gonna happen basically.  I would stick with .308 if you are set on that, or stay with the AR15 and look at some other calibers that offer excellent barrier defeat, with half the recoil of a .308 Win.  

I had plans to build a carbine that roughly fits the role you have outlined, in .308 Winchester, but the 6.5 Grendel killed those plans dead.  For me, there is no reason to have a .308/7.62 NATO 16" carbine anymore, but I have no loyalty or affection for the .308 Winchester, and I could care less what is on the shelves at the local China Mart.  .308 just doesn't do much for me unless you really hot-rod it, although I can stomach 175gr SMK factory loads for some of what I do.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would consider the AP4 with this Sampson handguard, or the Midwest Industries handguard.  The gun is very lightweight as-is.

Send it to ADCO or a competent, as in competent, gunsmith, and have them do the handguad removal, lo profile gas block installation, and new handguard install.  ADCO will also do barrel dimples for you if you think you need it ti lighten the gun even more, but these are about as light as I would want a .308 Winchester.

For your needs, .260 Rem would be a major headache in terms of finding ammo that will run in it, especially a carbine.  Not gonna happen basically.  I would stick with .308 if you are set on that, or stay with the AR15 and look at some other calibers that offer excellent barrier defeat, with half the recoil of a .308 Win.  

I had plans to build a carbine that roughly fits the role you have outlined, in .308 Winchester, but the 6.5 Grendel killed those plans dead.  For me, there is no reason to have a .308/7.62 NATO 16" carbine anymore, but I have no loyalty or affection for the .308 Winchester, and I could care less what is on the shelves at the local China Mart.  .308 just doesn't do much for me unless you really hot-rod it, although I can stomach 175gr SMK factory loads for some of what I do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very interesting. I'll check out 6.5 Grendel. I have no affinity to any particular rd or platform either. My objective is to be able to demoralize a lawless aggressor. "Barrier defeat" is central to that.  Whatever rd or platform will do that and is light weight works for me. Thank you. As always, I hope it never ever comes to that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Seems like .308 would still be a hell of a lot easier to find in a SHTF situation than 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#19]
In case I missed it, will the GII take the .308 PMAG?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In case I missed it, will the GII take the .308 PMAG?
View Quote

Yes it will.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The paracord on that MFT Stock changes the entire look, ie: I'm starting to like it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#22]
After owning mine for a couple months, I thought I would like it more. If only it could run more varieties of ammo.  I've never had a gun be as finicky as this one.

The only loads it runs reliably are fgmm .308, LC m80, and steel case stuff.  Unfortunately even among those it really rips at the rims upon extraction so much that I don't trust the spent brass to save for reloading.

It won't run
Cbc 7.62
Magtech .308
Prvi match .308
Pmc bronze .308
German DAG 7.62
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
After owning mine for a couple months, I thought I would like it more. If only it could run more varieties of ammo.  I've never had a gun be as finicky as this one.

The only loads it runs reliably are fgmm .308, LC m80, and steel case stuff.  Unfortunately even among those it really rips at the rims upon extraction so much that I don't trust the spent brass to save for reloading.

It won't run
Cbc 7.62
Magtech .308
Prvi match .308
Pmc bronze .308
German DAG 7.62
View Quote

Sounds like it needs an adjustable gas block.

Really, the big work better with an extended gas system, too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:49:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It won't run
Cbc 7.62
Magtech .308
Prvi match .308
Pmc bronze .308
German DAG 7.62

Yep.  I bet you have a Recon, or one of the other models with a short gas system.  It is trying to rip the rim off because the bolt is unlocking too soon while the chamber pressure is still too high.  The brass is swelled against the chamber while the mass of the carrier moving rearward is trying to yank the brass out.  My LMT did the same thing until I swapped the barrel for one with a rifle length gas system. This is also why I opted for the Hunter model GII.

This is why LaRue and some others are using fluted chambers.   Knights seems to have it figured out though since they use a rifle length gas system even on their 16" guns.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:10:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It won't run
Cbc 7.62
Magtech .308
Prvi match .308
Pmc bronze .308
German DAG 7.62

I wish you could tell this to DPMS but for some reason they never listen.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:18:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yep.  I bet you have a Recon, or one of the other models with a short gas system.  It is trying to rip the rim off because the bolt is unlocking too soon while the chamber pressure is still too high.  The brass is swelled against the chamber while the mass of the carrier moving rearward is trying to yank the brass out.  My LMT did the same thing until I swapped the barrel for one with a rifle length gas system. This is also why I opted for the Hunter model GII.

This is why LaRue and some others are using fluted chambers.   Knights seems to have it figured out though since they use a rifle length gas system even on their 16" guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It won't run
Cbc 7.62
Magtech .308
Prvi match .308
Pmc bronze .308
German DAG 7.62

It is a recon, and that may be a part of the issue.  All of the stuff that won't run actually ends up requiring a mallet and rod/dowel, as most don't even make it out of the chamber and get pretty well jammed.

I should have just gone for a FAL for what I paid for mine
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:22:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It is a recon, and that may be a part of the issue.  All of the stuff that won't run actually ends up requiring a mallet and rod/dowel, as most don't even make it out of the chamber and get pretty well jammed.

View Quote

It is really a $100 fix if so you choose. Call or email the guys at SLR Rifleworks. Get an adj. gas block. It is easier than you think.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It is really a $100 fix if so you choose. Call or email the guys at SLR Rifleworks. Get an adj. gas block. It is easier than you think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A heavier buffer and a good polishing of the chamber will help too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's leaving them in the chamber, there's a good chance it's a little rough.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#30]
What size is the stock Recon? 750 or 936?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#31]
If you're having this much trouble with a mid-length Recon, the carbine length AP4 must be terrible?  I haven't heard this anywhere else but maybe no one that has these things is actually shooting them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#35]
This is the front takedown pin from my GII recon after a few hundred rounds. First time to deal with DPMS customer service, I think his name was Nick and he seemed to have a bad attitude. He said in all the years that he has been with DPMS, he has never seen one break. He said "you might have snagged it on something while hauling it on a four wheeler" I informed him that I have only shot that rifle from a bench, take care of my guns, and never hauled it on a 4 wheeler.

" />

They sent a new pin, but the dudes attitude was Bull Shit!!!!!

Really like the rifle, but I am considering getting rid of it.

I have had excellent customer service with Ruger, Henry, and Hi Point,

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This is the front takedown pin from my GII recon after a few hundred rounds. First time to deal with DPMS customer service, I think his name was Nick and he seemed to have a bad attitude. He said in all the years that he has been with DPMS, he has never seen one break. He said "you might have snagged it on something while hauling it on a four wheeler" I informed him that I have only shot that rifle from a bench, take care of my guns, and never hauled it on a 4 wheeler.

http://<a href=http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o734/PanhandleAR/1011_zpsa0b384bf.jpg</a>" />

View Quote

I've noticed that with the high demand for AR rifles the last couple years there has been quite a few parts of questionable metallurgy showing up.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you're having this much trouble with a mid-length Recon, the carbine length AP4 must be terrible?  I haven't heard this anywhere else but maybe no one that has these things is actually shooting them.
View Quote

GII ap4 thats been 100% except for one fail to fire with white box winchester 7.62x51 147gr. Next range trip im going to rechamber the round and give it a second strike. The extractor and dual ejectors do their job quite well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o734/PanhandleAR/1011_zpsa0b384bf.jpg</a>" />

View Quote

Can you take a clear, focused, macro mode pic of the broken ends, please? I'd like some knowledgeable folk I know to take a look. TIA
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#39]
180 rounds through my recon so far. about 60 surpressed. I was shooting some lake city but mostly old corroded ( leaky battle pack) FN marked stuff. It was the worst I had. had one failure to load at around shot 80. pulled the BCG cleaned and relubed. shot unitl about 165 and had the bcg skip over the last round in the mag. 2 fails in the first 180 rounds shooting the junk ammo I was................. I am happy so far. It was filthy because of the ammo.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Justin3,

The Recon is a mid-length gas system and has been extensively tested, you should not need different gas blocks, buffers ect... Why don't you give us a call to send it in so we can see what the issue is? We will say that not all ammo is created equal especially imported and surplus. We have noticed with the shortage of ammo some really questionable stuff has hit the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It won't run
Cbc 7.62
Magtech .308
Prvi match .308
Pmc bronze .308
German DAG 7.62

Justin3,

The Recon is a mid-length gas system and has been extensively tested, you should not need different gas blocks, buffers ect... Why don't you give us a call to send it in so we can see what the issue is? We will say that not all ammo is created equal especially imported and surplus. We have noticed with the shortage of ammo some really questionable stuff has hit the market.

I will probably try to call you guys.  I'm starting to think its a chamber issue, as the brass has very small horizontal striations/ridges about a 1/2" in front of the head. I did make one thread when i noticed the issue and you guys said it was most likely the ammo, and that I should stick to American made.  I wasn't counting on it beating up the brass on premium American ammo so much though.  I was considering trying to polish the chamber.  I am competent, so would you recommend that I polish the chamber first, or will that void the warranty?  Should I just send it to you?  

I don't have access to a bore scope unfortunately, so I can't look at the chamber.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:53:19 AM EDT
[#41]
" />
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:56:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

GII ap4 thats been 100% except for one fail to fire with white box winchester 7.62x51 147gr. Next range trip im going to rechamber the round and give it a second strike. The extractor and dual ejectors do their job quite well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear.  Working on changing from my Gen. I Recon, which runs ok, to one of these so hopefully it runs at least as well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm no metallurgist, but that broken takedown pin looks as if it had unacceptable porosity at the fracture location. Could it have been fabricated using MIM technique? If I were DPMS, I'd want that part back for a QA failure investigation. The last thing that DPMS needs is customers wondering about the quality of the parts used in the GII.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the pic, and that metal does look awfully porous and crappy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#45]
There are a multitude of reasons why the Technical Data Package and Mil-specs for the AR15 family (M16, M16A1, M16A2, M4, M4A1, M16A4, etc.) have laundry lists of call outs for very specific requirements in metallurgy, materials selection, manufacturing processes, testing, inspections, and proofing.

Most firearms metallic small parts are MIM'd or made on screw machines.  

Most brand name manufacturers get their small parts from a few machine shops that specialize in that area.

The difference on Mil-spec firearms is that there are stringent processes for testing, then marking the parts with inspection marks and proof codes.

Mil-spec lower parts are even MPI'd, at least batch-tested MPI.  That eliminates parts that are prone to fatigue based on imperfections in the steel.

That is the first time I've seen a broken pivot pin though.  I have seen broken bolt catch's, especially on 7.62 NATO suppressed guns.  In this post Obacalypse, post SH era, there definitely have been an unprecedented number of parts manufactured in very short time constraints.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a DPMS GII Hunter and that pin does not look like mine at all.  The end divots (whatever they are called) are in slightly different locations, plus there is no center hole.  Also, I checked  all my other lowers and NONE of them (4) have a pin with a hole drilled all the way thru the center.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have a DPMS GII Hunter and that pin does not look like mine at all.  The end divots (whatever they are called) are in slightly different locations, plus there is no center hole.  Also, I checked  all my other lowers and NONE of them (4) have a pin with a hole drilled all the way thru the center.

View Quote

agree. where did that hole come from?  I would think that would weaken it and catch when you pull it out. also if big enough it could shot the pen and spring and be stuck FOREVER!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I just checked two of my 5.56 lowers, they both have a hole drilled through the center of the pin.  It's so you can push the detent in to remove the front take down pin.  How else would you get it out if you needed to?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Looking at a ton of images on the NET for pins, if it had a hole at all it would be on the left end (not all do).  The pictures posted show the hole smack in the middle of the pin - right in the location where all the recoil stresses would be from the upper.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Looking at a ton of images on the NET for pins, if it had a hole at all it would be on the left end (not all do).  The pictures posted show the hole smack in the middle of the pin - right in the location where all the recoil stresses would be from the upper.
View Quote

I just now looked at the replacement pin and noticed the hole is not in the center like the original. The broken pin is the original that came with the gun(bought new from Buds)
Page / 12
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top