Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2014 2:44:56 PM EDT
Just had to make a quick post that I modded 2 magazines today before I went to the range with my Spikes 5.45.   It ran flawlessly through 120 rounds each mag.  Glad that I read about this here and was very happy with the results.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
What did you do to mod them?
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
do share...mods?
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
??? Please explain the mod.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#4]
useless post?
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Conversion
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry for not going more in depth I assumed that the Pmags 5.45 mod was well known since it has has been discussed here several times.

All I did was shorten the front leg of the follower to make it even with the spring retaining piece that is directly behind it.

Easy as pie and quick.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Pics. How many rounds did you load per mag?
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#8]
No pics but I loaded 30 rounds no problem.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Why does this only work with Gen2 windowed Pmags, what about reg gen2 Pmags?
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why does this only work with Gen2 windowed Pmags, what about reg gen2 Pmags?
View Quote

Good question.

I just modified a few, will try to put them thru some trial soon. I used a couple M2 non windowed that were not modified before and they worked fine when not fully loaded.
Everything looks to be similar internally, but the front nose of the follower does not ride up quite as high when unloaded (compared to a modified window mag).

It should work, I have more non windowed mags so hopefully these will prove out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#11]
From the guy that I read it from, the non-windowed did not function as well.  I am not sure why it doesn't, but since I have a bunch of windowed mags, I just used what I had.

Here is a link to the discussion
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I get a laugh because people always bring up the regular non windowed pmags.  We have a solid fix that lets you load 29 or so rounds of 5.45 and have them feed like they should.  For a while windowed mags were 10 bucks.  Every time people say well why can't I use non windowed mags.  Well because you can't they just don't work.  I don't know what the difference is but I have tried and it doesn't work.  That is why forums are great because we can share all kinds of info and not waste mags or ammo trying something that everyone else agrees doesn't work.  If you find a fix for non windowed pmags share it because a lot of people want to know.

latest running magazine thread

I try to have a 5.45 mag discussion going here in the variants section because lots of people want to know about it.  OP please share your mod experience in the thread I linked so hopefully more people can learn more about it.  I think with the AIM guns coming out there will be more folks talking about it soon.  I am not going to play with regular pmags.  I tried getting magpul to sell me followers by themselves but they won't.  

If you want to test your regular pmag and you claim they are the same size throughout as the windowed take a windowed pmag and modify it.  Then swap that modified windowed pmag follower and put it in your non windowed and see if it still works.  You may be able to load the rounds but if you load it all the way you will have your rounds nose diving after maybe 2 shoots.  Might be a fix for it.  

I still wish there was a fix for troy mags.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]
In my case, I just have a bunch of the M2 non windowed mags just sitting here so I decided to try a few.
I already have 13-14 of the C-p and ASC mags that worked well for me, but I despise stainless mags.
I only have 6-8 of the windowed M2 Pmags in my stash, they have all been modified already.

No one disputes that the windowed mags work well, there has to be a simple reason why they work, yet the non windowed do not- it's simple physics.
And, it's not like we are rendering these mags useless.

Any mags I purchase (at this point) will be M2 windowed mags, but I would still prefer to use what I already have here- as long as the results are good.

Edit to add-->> I just pulled out a couple boxes of mags from storage, on top of one were 7 more windowed M2 Pmags (and a bunch of other series pmags).  Will dig deeper...

Great find
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I get a laugh because people always bring up the regular non windowed pmags.  We have a solid fix that lets you load 29 or so rounds of 5.45 and have them feed like they should.  For a while windowed mags were 10 bucks.  Every time people say well why can't I use non windowed mags.  Well because you can't they just don't work.  I don't know what the difference is but I have tried and it doesn't work.  That is why forums are great because we can share all kinds of info and not waste mags or ammo trying something that everyone else agrees doesn't work.  If you find a fix for non windowed pmags share it because a lot of people want to know.

I try to have a 5.45 mag discussion going here in the variants section because lots of people want to know about it.  OP please share your mod experience in the thread I linked so hopefully more people can learn more about it.  I think with the AIM guns coming out there will be more folks talking about it soon.  I am not going to play with regular pmags.  I tried getting magpul to sell me followers by themselves but they won't.  

If you want to test your regular pmag and you claim they are the same size throughout as the windowed take a windowed pmag and modify it.  Then swap that modified windowed pmag follower and put it in your non windowed and see if it still works.  You may be able to load the rounds but if you load it all the way you will have your rounds nose diving after maybe 2 shoots.  Might be a fix for it.  

View Quote

I was going to post on your thread but saw that it was archived.  I still wanted to give the props for a great (and simple) solution that lets me run better mags with great results.

Again, thanks for putting in the legwork on this and posting this for everyone to see.  Hats off to you!

Ok I stand corrected, I see your new thread.  I will repost this on your thread.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was going to post on your thread but saw that it was archived.  I still wanted to give the props for a great (and simple) solution that lets me run better mags with great results.

Again, thanks for putting in the legwork on this and posting this for everyone to see.  Hats off to you!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't do the leg work.  Guys have been doing it for a long time I just heard how to do it and shared it with other people then made a thread.  There is a running thread up about emags but it is about modding mags in general I linked it in my other post.  I try to share any changes or things I try to do.  Im trying not to waste any mags right now.  I really think the windowed pmags are the best way to do it now so I am going to stick with them and just keep shooting a bunch.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sorry for not going more in depth I assumed that the Pmags 5.45 mod was well known since it has has been discussed here several times..
View Quote

Don't feel bad, I presumed the same thing.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top