Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#1]
that actually looks pretty slick
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Being it is a piston I doubt the carrier or bolt is like any of the ones you mentioned. I agree on the standardization but at this point most companies are too heavily invested in their respective platforms ie Armalite. It baffles me why Smith went their own way and I really would like to know why.

No matter though because we are blessed with a plethora of high quality boomers and that is never a bad thing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if the bolt & carrier are compatible with DPMS, Armalite, or S&W.  
I also wonder if they used a DPMS style buffer or Armalite style.
The large frame ARs would benefit from some standardization.

Being it is a piston I doubt the carrier or bolt is like any of the ones you mentioned. I agree on the standardization but at this point most companies are too heavily invested in their respective platforms ie Armalite. It baffles me why Smith went their own way and I really would like to know why.

No matter though because we are blessed with a plethora of high quality boomers and that is never a bad thing

What did S&W do differently?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if the bolt & carrier are compatible with DPMS, Armalite, or S&W.  
I also wonder if they used a DPMS style buffer or Armalite style.
The large frame ARs would benefit from some standardization.

The bolt and barrel extension are different so you cant go aftermarket easily. If you want the details you will have to look them up as I can remember them exactly. I guess it really doesnt bother me as I just treat it as another gun no different than a HK or FAL.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
My new SR-762 has arrived.  I picked it up this morning.  I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet but I'll try to change that this weekend.

Without further delay, here are some photos:

The rifle more or less as shipped.  I swapped out the Ruger flash hider for an AAC 51T so I can mount my 762-SDN-6.  I also ditched the Hogue pistol grip and replaced it with a plain old A2 grip.  

The Ruger with my suppressor in place.

A view of the bolt carrier through the ejection port.  

The bolt carrier group and charging handle.  This is another change.  I replaced the standard GI-type with a BCM Gunfighter.  I'm pleased to see the BCM fits since VLTOR has a pretty long list of rifles the 762 won't fit.  

Various bolt parts.  Note that the extractor has both a donut o-ring and another small internal spring.  Care should be taken since the inner spring falls out.

Gas piston parts.  These sure look like the parts I'm used to with my SR-556's but the adjustment/dis-assembly hole is bigger in the gas regulator.  Note that the regulator is marked as 7.62.

The buffer tube on the SR-762 is about an inch longer than a standard 5.56 carbine buffer tube.

The SR-762 appears to use a standard weight 5.56 carbine buffer.

I was trying to beat the fading daylight this evening and didn't get all the photos I wanted.  I'll try to get some SR-556 and SR-762 comparison photos tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#5]
You're awesome.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the pics.
Is that buffer standard carbine length?
Wonder if they are doing the Vltor A5 type recoil system.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I read something about this 16.12" barrel only dropping the fps of rounds by barely over 70 when compared to a 24" barrel .308, but how do you guys think accuracy will be out of this barrel?

Also who has these available for sale? Couldn't find any online stores with them and Davidson's shows them as "allocated" which typically means my dealer can't get ahold of them. Listed around $1560 though, not bad. Seriously considering selling my LR308 and getting this. I would literally cut my weight in half.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I read something about this 16.12" barrel only dropping the fps of rounds by barely over 70 when compared to a 24" barrel .308

I read that there are lizard like aliens living among us.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:22:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the pics.
Is that buffer standard carbine length?
Wonder if they are doing the Vltor A5 type recoil system.
View Quote

I'll hopefully have the time to take some SR-762 v SR-556 pics this morning.  I want to compare the gas parts and rail between the two guns.  As it is now, I do believe the gas piston, forend and buffer are the same between both models but I want to verify that before saying for sure.

If Ruger is using some of the same parts between the two calibers, it would help explain the low cost of the SR-762 when compared to many of the other available 308 piston guns.  Commonality of parts equals less manufacturing costs, less storage cost, etc.

Anyway, I haven't weighed the buffer out of the SR-762 yet but I can tell you that it isn't the VLTOR system.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 3:34:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like it, maybe I do need another 308 rifle.
View Quote

yez, I agree with thiz.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 3:49:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Very nice, thanks for pics.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice looking gun,  3 pmags is a nice touch.

Did it come with a case?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice looking gun,  3 pmags is a nice touch.

Did it come with a case?
View Quote

Yes it did. The gun ships with the manual (SR-556 with a little paper insert for the 762) and the three mags. It also comes with a lock and a little front sight tool. This is all inside the black soft carrying case that comes with the 5.56 rifles.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe I'm just a rookie with the AR-10 platform but what would be the pro-cons for this compared to the Sig 716
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I read something about this 16.12" barrel only dropping the fps of rounds by barely over 70 when compared to a 24" barrel .308

View Quote

DVntDom, please send me a check for new computer monitor, as you have made mine coffee covered, stained, and unusable.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just a rookie with the AR-10 platform but what would be the pro-cons for this compared to the Sig 716
View Quote

Good question.

Price should be about the same between the two.  Both use Magpul mags and both are piston driven.  The SIG, from most reports, seems to be capable of about 1.5 MOA and Jeff Quinn's Ruger is about 1.0 MOA from his review.  

SIG's publised weight for the 716 is 9.3 pounds so it is about half a pound heavier than the Ruger.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#17]
What is the firing pin tip diameter?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#18]
It took them a while, but they are now forgiven for leading us all on with the XGI and then failing to deliver.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Because I love making shit up...

Here's my citation since you obviously don't believe me. Next time maybe you could actually contribute knowledge to someone's question to make the thread a more useful source of information for users.

Spec velocity is 2820 fps for the Remington ammo from a 24" test barrel. The same load chronographed 2,742 fps from the AR-762's 16.125" barrel, only a 78 fps difference with approximately 8" less barrel. The Hornady ammo closed that difference to 71 fps.

http://www.realguns.com/articles/548.htm
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've read that posts like this come from douche bags who support Obama.

Also read that people nowadays are to lazy to research someone's comment and refuse to believe it unless cited properly to MLA standards. Sad to see this thread being affected by those type of pests.

Anyways, I really like Rugers stuff, if I hadn't just spent so much building an MaTen, I'd snag one of these.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#21]
This is all very upsetting to me as I didn't realize I needed to buy another Ruger.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#22]
3 questions for Melvin-Johnson.

Is the face of the ejector tapered to a smaller diameter, or does it just look it in the bolt face pic?

Do you think the spring clip is a weak point at the gas regulator?

Is the clip all that is holding the regulator in?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is all very upsetting to me as I didn't realize I needed to buy another Ruger.
View Quote

What I was thinking.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#24]
CAC001 - So ... Remington ammo was used for the 24" barrel velocity figure.  Spec velocity.  Not chronographed.  That was then used as the baseline from which the loss of velocity was measured.

Then you compare Hornady (the same Remington load was used too) ammo that was actually chronographed to get to the barely over than 70 fps figure.  And you were so excited that you peed your pants as you excitedly hammered it out on the keyboard.  Most people would have the common sense to leave that out of their post.

If you believe that the loss of velocity between 24" and 16" .308 barrels is on the order of 70-80 fps total based on that "experiment"  then you have much to learn before you can contribute anything of value on this forum.  Your belief in that velocity difference and proud reliance on that gun rag make about as much sense as 762AR15 comparing me to an Obama supporter.  (I have no doubt the lizard like aliens helped him formulate that conclusion.)

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Barrel markings.

Receiver markings.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#26]
More good pics, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
3 questions for Melvin-Johnson.

Is the face of the ejector tapered to a smaller diameter, or does it just look it in the bolt face pic?

Do you think the spring clip is a weak point at the gas regulator?

Is the clip all that is holding the regulator in?
View Quote

The ejector does have a beveled edge.  

The small spring clip for the gas regulator does nothing other than hold the regulator on its gas settings.  The regulator itself is held in by a captured pin that's not unlike the takedown and pivot pins in the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#28]
The piston parts.  The SR-762 compared to an SR-556.  These two parts appear to be identical.  The 308 piston is the cleaner one.

The 7.62 and 5.56 gas regulators.  These also appear identical and the 7.62 will fit in the 5.56 gas block and vice versa.  I haven't measured the gas ports themselves.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Gas blocks and forends.  These appear to be identical between the 5.56 and 7.62.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Could you put an SR556 quad rail on this? Like everything except the handguard.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Could you put an SR556 quad rail on this? Like everything except the handguard.
View Quote

I'm going to say that you could if you could find one someplace.  I don't know if Ruger will sell the railed forend as an individual part or not.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Are there any other rails compatible with the SR series of rifles?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

None that I'm aware of. I exchanged a few emails with Parallax Tactical some months back and they expressed interest in making a rail for the Ruger when they're not swamped with other projects.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

None that I'm aware of. I exchanged a few emails with Parallax Tactical some months back and they expressed interest in making a rail for the Ruger when they're not swamped with other projects.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#35]
The difficult thing with the Ruger is the fact that the gas block will have to be removed in order to get the original rail off. Once the rail's off the transfer rod can be removed.

Ideally I think it would be possible to make something with a removable top and bottom that could be lifted off the barrel without removing the gas block. The transfer rod could still be pinned into the top section.  This would allow the user to pull the forend off the barrel for cleaning and allow some access to the transfer rod. If nothing else it would allow the shooter to inspect the rod periodically.

Something with keymod slots would be cool, too.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Anybody know the grade of steel used?

All AR's aren't the same, needless to say.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's a short video I made today just for fun.  This is with the gas setting on position #1 with my AAC 762-SDN-6 mounted.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Here's a short video I made today just for fun.  This is with the gas setting on position #1 with my AAC 762-SDN-6 mounted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec_oYTmUm80
View Quote

Nice video, how does the recoil compare to other 308 guns?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Here is the SR-762 recoil spring and buffer compared to a VLTOR A5 buffer and spring.  The new Ruger has a standard carbine buffer that weighs 3.0 ounces.

The A5 buffer tube compared to the Ruger buffer tube.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec_oYTmUm80

I only have forty rounds through the Ruger at this point but I haven't found the recoil to be anything other than completely manageable.

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:31:10 AM EDT
[#41]
The barrel is CHF 4145CMV chrome lined chamber and bore.

Out of curiosity, are the upper and lower receivers 6061 or 7075?

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:22:23 AM EDT
[#42]
How well does the rifle suppress? Does it have a lot of gas blow back and sound through the gas block?
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:47:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How well does the rifle suppress? Does it have a lot of gas blow back and sound through the gas block?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I thought they quit using troy when they knocked off their rail?

I would be willing to bet it was strictly a monetary decision and not a political statement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm, look who's not using Troy sights anymore.

The Ruger SR-762 is supplied with Samson flip up sights that speak to the quality of every other aspect of this rifle.

I thought they quit using troy when they knocked off their rail?

I would be willing to bet it was strictly a monetary decision and not a political statement.

It's  just guess here but I would bet it has to do with the new mounting system is using on their sights. I know other companies like Spike's dropped them because if that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:00:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Very cool. Thanks fort he informative thread. 01'er!
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Here is another difference between the SR-556 and the SR-762 although I imagine this is an evolutionary change to the entire line and not just the SR-762.  Note that the SR-762's gas block has a slightly different flange and there's now more clearance between the handguard and the gas block.  My guess is that this was done to help minimize heat transfer and improve airflow and cooling.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for all the pics and video.
Looks like a high quality rifle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#48]
This rifle looks interesting, Ill be watching to see how it performs. Thanks for the images.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Thank you for the suppressor vid.  I am sold!
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Would you get this rifle over other 308 ARs in the 1.5-2k range?
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top