Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2013 7:46:15 PM EDT
Looking at my first .308 AR. I don't want to get up into the top end, expensive rifles (LaRue, KAC, etc.) until I'm sure it's a platform I'll like and will shoot regularly.

I have an AR from RRA that runs well, and I'm a fan of the M&P line. Both seem to produce a solid mid-range quality rifle.

What would you buy, and why?

(Poll incoming)
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Both the M&P and LAR-8 both seem to have decent reputations and good CS if something does come up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#2]
They should both be pretty solid rifles so, for me, it comes down to magazines.  The LAR-8 takes FAL mags I believe, so if you already have an FAL that could be pretty cool.  The M&P 10 takes SR-25/DPMS pattern mags (PMAGS).  If you do plan to "upgrade" later to another .308 based AR those could give you more options down the road.  If it was me, I would buy the M&P 10 out of your choices, what I did buy in reality is the Colt 901, and I'm very happy with it.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go with the RRA over the S&W. I like the bolt release on the RRA LAR-8 better than the standard AR style release.  It works like a Magpul B.A.D. lever.   I like to just

use my trigger finger to release the bolt as opposed to using my left hand slapping the bolt release.   Magazines for the RRA are hit or miss some of the FAL magazines will

not work, but RRA makes some polymer magazines that work pretty well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would go with the RRA over the S&W. I like the bolt release on the RRA LAR-8 better than the standard AR style release.  It works like a Magpul B.A.D. lever.   I like to just

use my trigger finger to release the bolt as opposed to using my left hand slapping the bolt release.   Magazines for the RRA are hit or miss some of the FAL magazines will

not work, but RRA makes some polymer magazines that work pretty well.

Wait, are you saying you just like the style of bolt release on the RRA?  The M&P 10 has ambi controls for everything.

Multiple uses. Zero compromises. Introducing the world's first .308 that comes in M&P. Easy to accessorize, hard to put down, the powerful new M&P10 makes short work of long range. Advanced by design, ahead by a mile. Close in on far away with the new M&P10.

Other Features

•Patent-Pending Enhanced Flash Hider
•Ambi Safety Selector Lever
•Ambi Magazine Release
•Ambi Bolt Release
•Mid-Length Gas System
•Lightweight Profile Barrel

Its hard to tell how the bolt stop/release works on the LAR-8.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 3:32:32 AM EDT
[#5]
LAR-8

FAL mags have not been an issue for me and believe blown out or proportion on the interwebz.  Also, RRA's plastic mags work just fine.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a rock river lar-8 with a 20 inch barrel that has been a great rifle . I dont have an m&p in 308 but I have an m&p in 300 blackout . I know one is large frame and the other is standard ar size , my comment is if the build quality is the same for the 308 as it is for the 300 then I would buy one in a minute . to me the question is what are you going to do with the rifle .
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#7]
LMT will get my vote after Larue.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I sell the MP10, the LMT MWS, DPMS 308, and I think the MP10 is the best value out of all them.

I've installed some of the Troy 12" .308 rails onto the MP10 as they use a DPMS low-pro barrel nut pattern.

Slap a SOPMOD on the back to get rid of that awful M4 stock since they're using milspec tubes.

Avoid hanging a Magpul ASAP off the rear---it won't fit.  The Noveske QD endplate works perfectly on the MP10.

They also use .750 gas blocks and are parkerized on the gas journal.

Clearly I'm brand loyal, but if I think the MP10 is the best choice out there right now.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#9]
The bolt release on the RRA is right in front of the trigger just below the magazine release, it is shaped like an upside down "T".  You push up to lock the bolt back and push

down to release the bolt.  For clarification I think the RRA is a better rifle than the M&P.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#10]
MP10!!

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Looking good and probably the route I will go. What scope is that?
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The bolt release on the RRA is right in front of the trigger just below the magazine release, it is shaped like an upside down "T".  You push up to lock the bolt back and push

down to release the bolt.  For clarification I think the RRA is a better rifle than the M&P.
View Quote

Yes, it uses the FAL style release.

I have to disagree with your conclusions, though. I looked at the RRA at Perry and liked the M&P better. The FAL mag system might work just fine, but I didn't like the looks of it at all. I have a decent amount of FAL mags and decided to go with the M&P instead.

The ambi controls on the M&P make it a non-issue. You simply reach forward with your trigger finger and release the bolt. I find that the ambi safety makes it easier to re-engage the safety. It's a well thought out rifle, IMO.

Note that I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the RRA, I just preferred the M&P.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:50:56 AM EDT
[#13]
MP10!

Right after I bought it. Pre-scope. Still have to get me one of those cool AR scope mounts. Just using rings and a spare scope I had lying around for the moment.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Mega MATEN...enough said.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I passed up a new DPMS for $900 last night because Im holding out for the M&P 10.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I passed up a new DPMS for $900 last night because Im holding out for the M&P 10.
View Quote

I drove to Fin Feather and Fur specifically to look at the DPMS Oracle .308 they had there for $999. I walked out with a M&P 10.

The guy there said that happens a lot. I was planning to buy the DPMS, too. I still would, truth be told. Might get one sometime in the future.

The M&P10 was just THAT much nicer, IMO. I think you made the right decision.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I was looking at RRA and CMMG till I saw the write up in Guns & Ammo then I started researching S&W
the reviews are stellar. That's the direction I went with:

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq223/markdavidson64/2013-06-26070744_zpsa84a5a69.jpg
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ziess Conquest 3x9x40 z-plex
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just did the same thing tonight. Local Wally World had one on the shelf. Le sigh...
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I've shot the M&P 10 and it is a nice rifle. My personal 308's are LMT and a Colt 901. Have a Larue OBR (18") on order.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Best bang for the buck, get the M&P

I highly recommend that whatever you do, get a rifle that uses the SR-25 type magazines...

If you want to step up, get the LMT
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:47:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I just did the same thing tonight. Local Wally World had one on the shelf. Le sigh...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol I just did the same thing couple days ago, went into the shop to buy a armalite ar10t they had for sale, and ended up walking out with a M&P 10 that was regular price
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Best bang for the buck, get the M&P

I highly recommend that whatever you do, get a rifle that uses the SR-25 type magazines...

If you want to step up, get the LMT
View Quote

The LMT MWS308 is a beast!!! If you can fine one, snatch it up. I got mine!!

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top