Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2013 5:56:01 PM EDT
I could not find any recent topics on the MGI Hydra.

I saw the Hydra yesterday at the NRA show and its versatility was really impressive.

Any opinions from those you have bought and/or shot one?

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two of the QCB uppers, the first is one of the early ones.  The latest is the up-to-date one.  I never got one of the modular lowers because everything I shoot fits in a standard AR15 magwell (5.56 NATO and 6.5 Grendel).

I used to use the system when going camping, because I could pack a whole 16" AR15 carbine in a laptop case, rather than take up a huge footprint in our load scheme for the family vehicles.

It's nice to be able to just carry the laptop case with your blaster, extra mags, optics, and extras, although I haven't done that for some time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 8:02:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Like LR, I have a very early version of the QCB, not hydra.  Have not used their newest offerings.  But, I still love mine.  I run 22LR, 556, 6x45, 458 Socom and now a 300 BLK.  The only "issue" I have found to date is the latching mechanism depends upon the thickness of the flage on the barrel extension for fit.  My 22LR barrel has an extension flange that was machined into the barrel, not a real extension.  As such, it was a tad thick, and needed just a bit of filing for fit.  That was better than too thin, which would be a no go.  I think I have at one time or another "plugged" half a dozen 556 barrels into it, and the only not so great fit is a Colt 16".  It's right at the lower end of flang thickness, and just does fit, although it shoots the most left of all of my calibers.  

I was concerned when I bought it that the locking mechanism might loosen up with time, but this has not happened at all.  Return to zero is fantastic, even with a quick detaching  scope with recorded dope.  And also unlike LR, I have finally gone to the lap top case for carrying and transport.  Once you get a few calibers and all the associated goodies, organization and weight becomes a factor  I now prefer the primary weapon with two calibers and optics and mags in one case, and the rest of my things in a secondary bag.

Craig
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the new upper receivers. Not a single barrel locks solid, the tightest barrel is loose enough that the muzzle has .020" of play. MGI provided an RMA, but I have been out of country and have been unable to send it in. One of the worst firearms related purchases I have made, I can think of better ways to waste $600.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, I asked on their facebook page if they have any conversion kits for the  Hydra gas piston version that retain the piston function and they said no.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have one of the new upper receivers. Not a single barrel locks solid, the tightest barrel is loose enough that the muzzle has .020" of play. MGI provided an RMA, but I have been out of country and have been unable to send it in. One of the worst firearms related purchases I have made, I can think of better ways to waste $600.

I sent my original QCB-C upper in as the receiver had a hairline crack develop where it had been machined too thin to fit AK mags.  They replaced it with a QCB-D upper at no charge.

I reserve judgement of a product or company tell after they have had time to make it right.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top