Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/7/2012 3:00:22 PM EDT
Which caliber would be the best? I went to the local AR15 shop and asked about a caliber to shoot deer. My shots wouldnt be any longer than 150 yards. I asked  about the 6.8 and he said it was the most usless catridge ever created. He then showed me the 6.5 Grendel. He had his rifle setting on the counter that was a 6.5 Grendel. He had a 5 shot group target setting beside it that he shot at 200 yards that was litteraly 1 hole. Which would be the best cartridge for me to hunt deer and shoot some at the long range range wit?
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
They are about the same.

The salesman you talked to is well a salesman.

How do you know the target was shot with a 6.5G AR ??

I never have seen an AR shoot a 5 shot ragged hole group at 200 yards.
Not saying it cant be done with top components IE a lot of $.

Thats more in the territory of a bench rest bolt gun, Kreiger barrel etc.

Personally I like the 6.8 better for hunting, but honestly there is not much difference between the two.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Both the 6.8 and the 6.5 will work well for short range hunting.  If the gun store clerk told you the 6.8 was crap he was full of it.  Personally I bought the 6.8 because it's more popular.  For example Rock River, Stag Arms, Bushmaster, Armalite & DPMS all offer AR platform rifles in 6.8.  None of them carry the 6.5 Grendel.  The 6.5 has an edge at longer ranges but in my view popularity counts for a lot when considering parts and ammo availability.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
6.8, better factory support (more manufacturers) and more ammo suppliers. Outside of that, they are very, very, similar performance wise. The 6.8 is better supported, the 6.5 has better long (ie 600yd+) range bullet selection.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
This is what im finding, not many manufacturers make 6.5 barrels but alot of them make the 6.8. Thanks for all the help
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is what im finding, not many manufacturers make 6.5 barrels but alot of them make the 6.8. Thanks for all the help

Go to 68fourms. Look up Harrison from AR Performance. He makes some of the most accurate barrels in any caliber.
His claim to fame is the 6.8, but, he also makes a very, very capable .264 LBC, which is essentially a 6.5G. It will take G ammo. He can and will give you his honest answer, since he sells both.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]
6.8 =more energy!!
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#8]
6.8 SPCII
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#9]
6.8 will prolly be best for most people.  its a great deer round. as has been said more popular means
more components, more factory ammo, more reloading supplies, ect
nothing wrong with 6.5G either, would go that route if you want to shoot a bit longer more often and reload.
but you will have few options for the gun and for the ammo.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I like short 6.8's and long(er) 6.5's.  FWIW I actually own 12.5 and 16" 6.8 SPC II's.  I haven't bought a 6.5 though I have thought about a 6.5 Creedmore in an ar10 size action.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 2:18:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Grendel.

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 2:46:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Honestly at the distance you would be hunting I seriously doubt you would be able to tell any kind of difference.  Both rounds would be excellent at the distance you mentioned for taking down NC whitetail.

As mention the 6.8 has more support then the 6.5g  

I personally am a 300 blackout guy, which also does well at the distances you mention.  But a 6.8 or a 6.5 may be in my future

There are others but I doubt you would be disappointed with either cartridge.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Which caliber would be the best? I went to the local AR15 shop and asked about a caliber to shoot deer. My shots wouldnt be any longer than 150 yards. I asked  about the 6.8 and he said it was the most usless catridge ever created. He then showed me the 6.5 Grendel. He had his rifle setting on the counter that was a 6.5 Grendel. He had a 5 shot group target setting beside it that he shot at 200 yards that was litteraly 1 hole. Which would be the best cartridge for me to hunt deer and shoot some at the long range range wit?

When salesmen make comments like that it just shows how ignorant they are toward the market in general or he was just flat out lying to make a sale. It would make me think twice about going back.
The 6.8 or 6.5/264 would both work well. The 6.8 has more industry support in producing rifles and ammo. If you main thing is hunting with some target shooting I would chose the 6.8. If your main thing is shooting long range targets with some hunting the the 6.5/264LBC may be a better choice.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#15]
You said no longer than 150 yards.  Out to 400 yards, there really isn't a difference.  Four hundred yards is pretty damn far.  Also, the 6.8 has superior industry support in terms of guns, parts and ammunition.

If you really want long range capability, get yourself an AR in .260 Remington.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
6.8 =more energy!!

At what bullet weight? At what range? 15 yards?

Looking at ballistic coefficient and sectional densities of available hunting bullets and in most cases 6.5 is more efficient - by a long way.

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Find another fun shop as that guy is full of shit.

Either one will work. I went with the 6.8 for deer busting. For a long range target gun, the .264/6.5g is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find another fun shop as that guy is full of shit.

Either one will work. I went with the 6.8 for deer busting. For a long range target gun, the .264/6.5g is hard to beat.

I'd tell the dealer that I'll buy the gun if he can produce another 5 shot, 1 hole group at 200 yards while I watch. But, we already know he's less than truthful because he said the 6.8 is useless.

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#19]
6.8 and I own both.  As said a lot more choices with the 6.8 today.  Both my Noveske and bison armory 6.8s shoot very well.  My 6.5 is an alexander and also shoots nice but my AR for deer is the bison 6.8.

Eta your gun store guy is an idiot.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted: Which would be the best cartridge for me to hunt deer and shoot some at the long range range wit?

For BOTH deer hunting and long range shooting I think even the 6.8 guys will agree the 6.5 Grendel best fits the bill.

John

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted: Which would be the best cartridge for me to hunt deer and shoot some at the long range range wit?

For BOTH deer hunting and long range shooting I think even the 6.8 guys will agree the 6.5 Grendel best fits the bill.

John

I prefer a 16" 6.8 for hunting. I'd build a 20"-22" .264 for some LR target fun.

However, both will take deer out to 400ish yds, which is pretty bad ass from a AR15.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll bet that target wasn't shot at 200 yards, or with a 6.5 or even with a semi auto.

Check the snipers hide thread.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 1:41:41 AM EDT
[#23]
There's a good article on the 6.5 in the Dec./Jan. issue of Shooting Times.  According to a chart in the article there's almost no difference between the two out to 300 yards, and still not a lot all the way out to 5 - 600 yards.  Of course that's going to change somewhat depending on the bullet / load you use.  There's also a special issue of Shooting Times out now called "Guide to Long-Range Accuracy" that is pretty interesting.

As far as the salesman at the gun shop goes, he seems to have the all too common attitude that "if you don't have what I have then what you have is crap".

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 3:35:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
6.8 and I own both.  As said a lot more choices with the 6.8 today.  Both my Noveske and bison armory 6.8s shoot very well.  My 6.5 is an alexander and also shoots nice but my AR for deer is the bison 6.8.

Eta your gun store guy is an idiot.

Yep.
I have both and either one will do the job.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 4:21:54 AM EDT
[#25]
My vote is get both. I did
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#26]
6.5 if you reload.  And steel cased is very very close to fruition...
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#27]
There isn't any practical difference at shorter ranges, except maybe in projectile availability. I have the Grendel, and while I really like it, and it worked great on the deer I shot, if I had to do over, I'd go with 6.8. Mostly due to the mags but also the 6.8 has a better selection of factory hunting loads at reasonable prices. My 25 round ACS mags started out good, but now that I have used them, and kept them loaded,  I am having malfunctions.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#28]
There are actually about the same number of factory-loaded hunting projectile types for the Grendel and 6.8, but the 6.8 has more duplicate loadings from different manufacturers and is on more brick and mortar shelves so far.

There are way more hunting projectiles available for the 6.5 Grendel to be hand-loaded, with more being added lately, but I am finding myself shooting more and more factory-loaded ammo from AA, Precision Firearms, and Hornady.  Hornady just announced the new 123gr SST hunting load, to complement their 123gr AMAX load.  Both have a BC of .510 for G1, and many people have been killing game just fine with the AMAX.  

Keeping metal mags loaded contributes to the lifespan shortening.  I just had a 5.56 GI mag go tits-up on me last shooting trip that has served for years and years.  It was kept loaded for who knows how long.  That is one feature about the Magpul PMAG that I like regarding storage, since you can relieve the lips of tension, but polymer mags eventually die once enough tinny debris has embedded into their surfaces.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#29]
The problem with both these Cal's is you can't run down to the corner store and
buy a box of either and if you order online you get raped on shipping.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There are several sources for both of these calibers within 15 minutes of me, on brick firearms business store shelves.  They are growing in popularity as more and more people understand that a Mauser action magnum isn't really ideal for hunting compared to an AR15 chambered in a High Performance Intermediate Rifle Cartridge like the 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC, especially when you look at the ability to practice with the system, appropriate bullet velocity for terminal effects on medium game, and recoil fatigue.  Most of the usable terminal performance from a .30-06, .270 Winchester, or magnums is spent on the exit side of the game, unless you're shooting at 400yds and further, well beyond the capabilities of most hunters if an ethical shot is to be taken.

As such, my .270 Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 usually stays home, as much as it hurts me, having grown up with it as a kid, and knowing that it was born in another great era of our Nation, passed onto me from my father.  That said, I did take her out last shooting trip, to see how I could do with the old Weaver fixed 4x with blade and wire reticle and my 135gr SMK's on top of a nice dose of RL17.

She was able to make some nice hits at 400m on steel IPSC silhouettes, from a seated position, and she does hit hard.  With that in mind, my wife fired her once and will never shoot her again.

With the AR's, I just keep handing my wife magazines and let her blast away with no complaints.  My 10yr-old nephew duplicated my POA/POI with the Grendel at 100m, his first time.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are several sources for both of these calibers within 15 minutes of me, on brick firearms business store shelves.  They are growing in popularity as more and more people understand that a Mauser action magnum isn't really ideal for hunting compared to an AR15 chambered in a High Performance Intermediate Rifle Cartridge like the 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC, especially when you look at the ability to practice with the system, appropriate bullet velocity for terminal effects on medium game, and recoil fatigue.  Most of the usable terminal performance from a .30-06, .270 Winchester, or magnums is spent on the exit side of the game, unless you're shooting at 400yds and further, well beyond the capabilities of most hunters if an ethical shot is to be taken.

As such, my .270 Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 usually stays home, as much as it hurts me, having grown up with it as a kid, and knowing that it was born in another great era of our Nation, passed onto me from my father.  That said, I did take her out last shooting trip, to see how I could do with the old Weaver fixed 4x with blade and wire reticle and my 135gr SMK's on top of a nice dose of RL17.

She was able to make some nice hits at 400m on steel IPSC silhouettes, from a seated position, and she does hit hard.  With that in mind, my wife fired her once and will never shoot her again.

With the AR's, I just keep handing my wife magazines and let her blast away with no complaints.  My 10yr-old nephew duplicated my POA/POI with the Grendel at 100m, his first time.

This. I love the old wood and steel guns, but the AR15 with a 6.8/6.5 cartridge is just too versatile. You can do so much more with them than you can with a bolt gun, a lever gun, or even a semi auto like the M1 Garand or M14/M1A, and of course even the old semi auto hunting guns. It can fill roles that those could never dream of. We are witnessing a huge change in the gun world, similar to when everyone replaced their old muskets with the new lever gun technology, and then most replaced them with a bolt action later on.

The AR 15, because of the new cartridges like these two, are becoming the traditional hunting rifles that our kids and grandkids will think of in the same way we always thought of our elder's bolt and lever guns. Their fond memories of past hunts won't be of wood grain and blued steel, but of black polymer and parkerized metals.

The lever guns and bolt action, and even the
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 6:53:59 AM EDT
[#32]
I did not  know about the new Hornady load, that is awesome, as the 123 A-MAX shoots great. I can't find anyone that stocks it, though. I am planning on using handloaded 129 grain SST, but the factory 123 would be better, and hopefully same zero. I know mags lose reliability when loaded over time, but this has happened after just a few months.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not my experience.  Academy regularly has 6.8 FMJ for about $15 a box and they've recently started carrying 120gr SST for about $19 a box.  Bass Pro has at least 3 different loadings.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:58:21 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm confused by the question...everyone knows an AR is an "assault rifle" and has no practical use other than to kill people.  I know this to be true because the media in this country tells me it is, and I believe everything they say.

OP, get either or get both, you probably can't go wrong with whichever choice you make.  I have a 6.5G and love it, but nothing wrong with the 6.8 Spec II.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm confused by the question...everyone knows an AR is an "assault rifle" and has no practical use other than to kill people.  I know this to be true because the media in this country tells me it is, and I believe everything they say.

OP, get either or get both, you probably can't go wrong with whichever choice you make.  I have a 6.5G and love it, but nothing wrong with the 6.8 Spec II.

I'm the opposite. I have the 6.8(ARP chamber) But, I say the same thing.  The 6.5G is a fine cartridge.

Oh, oh, FWIW- I can get 6.8 at LGSs here in WV.

Ticonderoga,
Cabelas has allot of 6.8. However, very little markdown.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I just ordered several boxes of Hornady 123gr AMAX for $17.62/box.  We did a group buy from Hornady for the new 123gr SST as well, through the forum.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just ordered several boxes of Hornady 123gr AMAX for $17.62/box.  We did a group buy from Hornady for the new 123gr SST as well, through the forum.

How does the Wolf Gold compare to the Hornady? The Wolf is a few bucks cheaper per box, just wondering if the Hornady is that much more accurate.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does the Wolf Gold compare to the Hornady? The Wolf is a few bucks cheaper per box, just wondering if the Hornady is that much more accurate.

Everyone is reporting excellent accuracy and consistency with the Hornady 123gr AMAX.  The Wolf 120gr MPT shoots well for a lot of people, but the Hornady brass can actually be reloaded several times, whereas you will max out at 3 loads with the Wolf brass, as it's very soft, and uses large rifle primers.

I only kept the Wolf brass for throwaway brass in case I ever use it for a hunt, but I don't care about losing 1 or 2 pieces of Lapua or Hornady brass on a hunt, to be honest.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top