Site Notices
7/23/2014 4:06:00 PM
Page:  / 2
Next Page  
Author
Anyoneotherthanobama 2012!
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/9/2012 11:45:52 AM
6.5 if you reload. And steel cased is very very close to fruition...
ESSAYONS
Zestar
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/9/2012 1:12:14 PM
There isn't any practical difference at shorter ranges, except maybe in projectile availability. I have the Grendel, and while I really like it, and it worked great on the deer I shot, if I had to do over, I'd go with 6.8. Mostly due to the mags but also the 6.8 has a better selection of factory hunting loads at reasonable prices. My 25 round ACS mags started out good, but now that I have used them, and kept them loaded, I am having malfunctions.
LRRPF52
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/9/2012 3:35:49 PM
There are actually about the same number of factory-loaded hunting projectile types for the Grendel and 6.8, but the 6.8 has more duplicate loadings from different manufacturers and is on more brick and mortar shelves so far.

There are way more hunting projectiles available for the 6.5 Grendel to be hand-loaded, with more being added lately, but I am finding myself shooting more and more factory-loaded ammo from AA, Precision Firearms, and Hornady. Hornady just announced the new 123gr SST hunting load, to complement their 123gr AMAX load. Both have a BC of .510 for G1, and many people have been killing game just fine with the AMAX.

Keeping metal mags loaded contributes to the lifespan shortening. I just had a 5.56 GI mag go tits-up on me last shooting trip that has served for years and years. It was kept loaded for who knows how long. That is one feature about the Magpul PMAG that I like regarding storage, since you can relieve the lips of tension, but polymer mags eventually die once enough tinny debris has embedded into their surfaces.
mamasboy
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/9/2012 4:07:35 PM
The problem with both these Cal's is you can't run down to the corner store and
buy a box of either and if you order online you get raped on shipping.
Allahu Akbar,In Southern Means: Shoot Me First.
LRRPF52
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2012 12:04:06 AM
Originally Posted By mamasboy:

There are several sources for both of these calibers within 15 minutes of me, on brick firearms business store shelves. They are growing in popularity as more and more people understand that a Mauser action magnum isn't really ideal for hunting compared to an AR15 chambered in a High Performance Intermediate Rifle Cartridge like the 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC, especially when you look at the ability to practice with the system, appropriate bullet velocity for terminal effects on medium game, and recoil fatigue. Most of the usable terminal performance from a .30-06, .270 Winchester, or magnums is spent on the exit side of the game, unless you're shooting at 400yds and further, well beyond the capabilities of most hunters if an ethical shot is to be taken.

As such, my .270 Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 usually stays home, as much as it hurts me, having grown up with it as a kid, and knowing that it was born in another great era of our Nation, passed onto me from my father. That said, I did take her out last shooting trip, to see how I could do with the old Weaver fixed 4x with blade and wire reticle and my 135gr SMK's on top of a nice dose of RL17.

She was able to make some nice hits at 400m on steel IPSC silhouettes, from a seated position, and she does hit hard. With that in mind, my wife fired her once and will never shoot her again.

With the AR's, I just keep handing my wife magazines and let her blast away with no complaints. My 10yr-old nephew duplicated my POA/POI with the Grendel at 100m, his first time.
pavlovwolf
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2012 12:18:34 AM
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

There are several sources for both of these calibers within 15 minutes of me, on brick firearms business store shelves. They are growing in popularity as more and more people understand that a Mauser action magnum isn't really ideal for hunting compared to an AR15 chambered in a High Performance Intermediate Rifle Cartridge like the 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC, especially when you look at the ability to practice with the system, appropriate bullet velocity for terminal effects on medium game, and recoil fatigue. Most of the usable terminal performance from a .30-06, .270 Winchester, or magnums is spent on the exit side of the game, unless you're shooting at 400yds and further, well beyond the capabilities of most hunters if an ethical shot is to be taken.

As such, my .270 Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 usually stays home, as much as it hurts me, having grown up with it as a kid, and knowing that it was born in another great era of our Nation, passed onto me from my father. That said, I did take her out last shooting trip, to see how I could do with the old Weaver fixed 4x with blade and wire reticle and my 135gr SMK's on top of a nice dose of RL17.

She was able to make some nice hits at 400m on steel IPSC silhouettes, from a seated position, and she does hit hard. With that in mind, my wife fired her once and will never shoot her again.

With the AR's, I just keep handing my wife magazines and let her blast away with no complaints. My 10yr-old nephew duplicated my POA/POI with the Grendel at 100m, his first time.

This. I love the old wood and steel guns, but the AR15 with a 6.8/6.5 cartridge is just too versatile. You can do so much more with them than you can with a bolt gun, a lever gun, or even a semi auto like the M1 Garand or M14/M1A, and of course even the old semi auto hunting guns. It can fill roles that those could never dream of. We are witnessing a huge change in the gun world, similar to when everyone replaced their old muskets with the new lever gun technology, and then most replaced them with a bolt action later on.

The AR 15, because of the new cartridges like these two, are becoming the traditional hunting rifles that our kids and grandkids will think of in the same way we always thought of our elder's bolt and lever guns. Their fond memories of past hunts won't be of wood grain and blued steel, but of black polymer and parkerized metals.

The lever guns and bolt action, and even the
Don't go ninj'in nobody that don't need ninj'in
Zestar
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2012 10:53:59 AM
I did not know about the new Hornady load, that is awesome, as the 123 A-MAX shoots great. I can't find anyone that stocks it, though. I am planning on using handloaded 129 grain SST, but the factory 123 would be better, and hopefully same zero. I know mags lose reliability when loaded over time, but this has happened after just a few months.
Ticonderoga
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/23/2012 3:23:19 AM

Not my experience. Academy regularly has 6.8 FMJ for about $15 a box and they've recently started carrying 120gr SST for about $19 a box. Bass Pro has at least 3 different loadings.
Dogue
Part of the problem
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/23/2012 7:58:21 AM
I'm confused by the question...everyone knows an AR is an "assault rifle" and has no practical use other than to kill people. I know this to be true because the media in this country tells me it is, and I believe everything they say.

OP, get either or get both, you probably can't go wrong with whichever choice you make. I have a 6.5G and love it, but nothing wrong with the 6.8 Spec II.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"That's a cocktail waitress in a Dolly Parton wig."
WVHunter1s1k
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/23/2012 10:03:36 AM
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 10:11:21 AM by WVHunter1s1k]
Originally Posted By Dogue:
I'm confused by the question...everyone knows an AR is an "assault rifle" and has no practical use other than to kill people. I know this to be true because the media in this country tells me it is, and I believe everything they say.

OP, get either or get both, you probably can't go wrong with whichever choice you make. I have a 6.5G and love it, but nothing wrong with the 6.8 Spec II.

I'm the opposite. I have the 6.8(ARP chamber) But, I say the same thing. The 6.5G is a fine cartridge.

Oh, oh, FWIW- I can get 6.8 at LGSs here in WV.

Ticonderoga,
Cabelas has allot of 6.8. However, very little markdown.

LRRPF52
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/23/2012 5:17:05 PM
I just ordered several boxes of Hornady 123gr AMAX for $17.62/box. We did a group buy from Hornady for the new 123gr SST as well, through the forum.
346ci
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/23/2012 8:03:48 PM
I just ordered several boxes of Hornady 123gr AMAX for $17.62/box. We did a group buy from Hornady for the new 123gr SST as well, through the forum.

How does the Wolf Gold compare to the Hornady? The Wolf is a few bucks cheaper per box, just wondering if the Hornady is that much more accurate.
LRRPF52
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/23/2012 9:59:20 PM
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 10:02:30 PM by LRRPF52]
Originally Posted By 346ci:

How does the Wolf Gold compare to the Hornady? The Wolf is a few bucks cheaper per box, just wondering if the Hornady is that much more accurate.

Everyone is reporting excellent accuracy and consistency with the Hornady 123gr AMAX. The Wolf 120gr MPT shoots well for a lot of people, but the Hornady brass can actually be reloaded several times, whereas you will max out at 3 loads with the Wolf brass, as it's very soft, and uses large rifle primers.

I only kept the Wolf brass for throwaway brass in case I ever use it for a hunt, but I don't care about losing 1 or 2 pieces of Lapua or Hornady brass on a hunt, to be honest.
Page:  / 2
Next Page