Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:53:55 AM EDT
Researching next build.
 I've got a lot of AR's and AK's in a few different calibers and variations, what I don't have is a .308. I'm sure this wont be the only one I aquire/build (like most of you I am sick, and can't be cured), but since it is the first it needs to be as versatile as possible. This will not be a bench gun nor will it be riding shotgun in a black SUV on a daily basis. Very "middle of the road".
So my question;
   Is a 16" barrel a little on the short side?
I know there are a ton of factory 16's out there, but, if your life depended on those 2"s which way would you go?
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Life depended on it in what situation ??

The only benefit of a 16" bbl is the OAL of the weapon and a couple ounces.
I would go 20, but thats me. 18 might be a good compromise.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 7:09:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been told that a 16" 308 doesn't  give enough length for powder burn.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#3]
"in what situation" is my point, I don't want to build a situation specific gun at this point.
I am aware of the (minor) ballistic difference between the two options, but at the end of the day are still just numbers on paper.
I'm hopeing to hear from practical experience.
if the consensus is that the extra 50 or so fps isn't realy a factor, I prob wont carry the extra 2" and few ounces.
However, if folks with the experience chime in that on occasion they felt a lack of speed or distance and thought the extra little bit would help, I might be swayed.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#4]
If this .308 won't be a bench shooting gun, I personally would skip the 20" barrel to keep weight down.  Not that a .308 is all that light to begin with.

For day to day situations, the 16" sounds like a better fit if weight is a big concern.  If not, get the 18".  My .308 is 16" incher if that matters.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine is a pinned 14.5" and it's easily sub MOA. Why not have something that handles AND shoots well?
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I shoot an 18.5" barrel with a thread protector (no flash hider), which gives me the same OAL as a 16" barrel with a flash hider.  Since during peaceful times I don't really need the Flash hider, I get the velocity benefits of the longer barrel with the same length as the 16".  If things were to go south, I'd throw the vortex on and deal with the added length.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi    Ive got both...a 16" rainier and an 18"   We shoot steel out to 500 and ill take the 16"
everytime......they both shoot moa and the 16" is easier to handle. dont worry bout burning or not burning
all the powder in the barrel...i dont see unburnt powder in my 16" barrel...but I dont use crap ammo either....believe me the 16" will do you proud! Wash
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Depends on the powder used and the charge weight and isn't that important a consideration anyway.  Almost all suitable powders will burn about as much as they're going to burn in the first couple inches of bullet travel.  Some powders will burn completely in those few inches.  Others will burn another 5% or so with a full length barrel.  That handful of percentage powder burn isn't worth considering when looking at powder choices or barrel lengths and burning another couple percent of the powder charge isn't what adds to velocity with a longer barrel.  Even powders that burn completely straight away still benefit from a longer barrel.

Depending on use, the extra 50fps might be worth it.  Inside 300yds or so, completely irrelevant.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I had an exhaustive discussion with a few knowledgable guys here when I was recently asking the same question and found that 16" is PLENTY to shoot out to 800 yards.  They had solid numbers and data to back up their claims- not just hearsay.  If I can find the thread, I will bump it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had an exhaustive discussion with a few knowledgable guys here when I was recently asking the same question and found that 16" is PLENTY to shoot out to 800 yards.  They had solid numbers and data to back up their claims- not just hearsay.  If I can find the thread, I will bump it.

Roger That... BUTT!!!

I'd go 6.8 for 16" and a can.

Stewart Wilson is a freak, a kewl freak but still a freak:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11579

He was telling ARMALITE about "over gassing" before anyone was talking about it.

Again, I say 6.8 Silver State Armory 115gr Tactical Load with a can... and 16" barrel.

7.62/.308?  18" or MOAR FTW.

6.8 or don't be late for 16" or less.

EDIT:  I'm not exhausted or tired.  

I'd go 6.5 CM or 6mm CM (GAP) before I went through all that horseshit... in a .308 gas gun...

AND HUMP THE THE EXTRA 8"-10" OF BARREl.

That's 24"-26" of pipe for those in Rio Linda.

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

WRONG.

308 is very insensitive to barrel length.

only difference between a 16 and 18 inch barrel is around 50 fps. Bullet goes transonic at 600+ yards so if you are shooting under 600 yards
you do not need anything but a 16 inch barrel. If you need to shoot over get an 18 inch barrel.

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#12]
appreciate all the input.
Like I said, versatility. So staying away from more "exotic" calibers. Chose .308 strictly because ammo availability.
Sounds like I will be fine with a 16", then as funds allow build a long range upper.
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Watch this video. I believe they cover barrel length within the first 4 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Not trying to hijack OPs thread but who all sells good 16" 308 barrels? I seen the BHW does and Rainier Arms has their rebranded BHW 16" and their ultramatch barrels.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top