BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#1]
.308 is a good all around cartridge but when it comes to specific missions/goals there is pretty much something that is better than it for any given task. Kind of a jack of all trades master of none. .300 black is a VERY specialized round that is basically for SBR suppressed AR's. two very different things.

JMHO

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Boy this thread has gotten away from he op's topic. I'd bet some didn't even read his rants and then what he actually wanted. Thought about your conundrum some more and here is what ive come to. Im probaly just statimg the obvious but sometimes that helps.

Yes you could build or buy then modify a .300 blk bolt gun to match the length of pull needs of your daughter. However, at this point in the market growth in the product cycle the .300 doesn't have much choice in bolt rifle barrels other than from AAC and the long awaited Remington. If a gunsmith had a barrel blank and chamber readers for the .300 they could custom make a lightweight barrel for a Remington 700. Then find a stock and have it modified or get one of those blackhawk stocks with the ar15 adjustable carbine buttstocks that are adjustable. This might be expensive though because of the products life cycle at the moment it really hasn't peaked yet it's still in the early growth stages.

The options I see if you want her to have a rifle today that meet your requirements are as follows.

You could get a rifle used chambered in 7.62x39 then just modify the stock( or use any intermidiate caliber). However, your still in a expensive boat if you use a intermediate like a 6mm Ppc, 6.5 Grendel, or something like the 6.8 spc. However, the 6mm and 6.5g both have retarded awesome inherent accuracy. So you would have a precision caliber. The 6mm you would have to reload however.

You could build a semi auto Ar15 using lightweight parts like a plumb crazy lower( dirt cheap as well). Have the 16" ish barrel in any intermediate caliber like .300blk, 6.8spc, 6mm ppc, 25-223, 6.5g, or 7.62x39. This would cost a little bit more however in terms of barrel length it fits your criteria. As far as muzzle blast goes a simple thread on muzzle device would take care of that. As far as stock size goes the adjustable carbine stock would work very well for a growing kid. Weight is a little heavier than a bolt rifle In a featherweight, but it helps tame recoil. Finally, recoil the gas system can be adjusted with a adjustable gas block and well because it's gas operated it will reduce the recoil.

If I was you I would get a ar15 Although they are expensive and well addictive. It would possibly fit your child's needs in the whole. Also if you want to work fundamentals a cheap .22 bolt gun does that well. Then she will be prepared to use the ar no problems. Plus it's so modular like my previous post with the tc dimension. It would let your child or even you to grow with it. Start .300blk and end with a 6.5 or whatever it's just like a adult gun addicts Lego set and to prove this just look at any picture thread.

Hope this helps Steve
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#3]
P.S. Here is what I want a 300 Blackout for: I have a 50 pound, 10-year-old daughter who is very sensitive to recoil and muzzle blast. She loves to shoot and hunt and be with her dad. So, I bought her a “Youth” .243. The manufacture’s idea of a youth must be more along the lines of a strapping-ish sort of 14-year-old boy rather than a wispy shadow of a 10-year-old girl. My daughter cannot nestle into the stock and get a good sight picture due to the large size of the rifle. The short barrel of the gun makes the muzzle blast even more pronounced. The light weight of the gun makes the recoil slightly uncomfortable for me and intolerable for her. In short, she is scared of the gun and cannot use it accurately. I dream of a small, lightweight, short(ish) barreled rifle in a caliber that is just sufficient to take a deer, and is actually sized for a child (think of the Chipmunk rifle here). No one makes one. Wouldn’t a 16”-18” barreled, 8”-10” length of pull, 5lb, bolt-action rifle in 300 Blackout

Buy a Savage or Stevens short action 9 twist 223 and load it with 70 gr semi spitzers then you can change it to whatever you want later as she grows.
Swap stocks to or from a youth stock to Adult, swap barrels in about 5 minutes, triggers, etc.
You can get a Stevens 223 new for about $300.

If you want to go to 300 blk, Shaw is making SS 300 blk savage barrels. Dont think they are available yet though.

I found a guy on a 300 blk forum that was selling Savage 300 blk barrels and had one in stock.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#4]
The only thing the BLK does better than the .308 is fire from an AR15.  The lightweight bullets (and reduced sectional density that creates) in the BLK limit penetration at all ranges and that actually gets worse if the bullet expands.  Energy may be similar between the hottest light bullet load in the BLK and the standard .30/30 150gn load, but the actual terminal performance is not.

As far as hitting the target at long range goes, the shooter is the deciding factor on that one regardless of the cartridge.  Given the BLK will require more consideration to compensate for bullet drop, but that's at least easily predictable.  With heavyweight efficient bullets from the BLK, wind drift numbers are actually very close between the two, but you can't have any illusions about what the BLK round can do to the target at that range unless all you care about is punching holes in paper.

And, yes, I have a BLK.  One day I'll spring for a can for it and at that point it might get to the range regularly.  As it is right now, it lives in the back of the safe while the .308 bolt gun goes to the range just about every time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
P.S. Here is what I want a 300 Blackout for: I have a 50 pound, 10-year-old daughter who is very sensitive to recoil and muzzle blast. She loves to shoot and hunt and be with her dad. So, I bought her a “Youth” .243. The manufacture’s idea of a youth must be more along the lines of a strapping-ish sort of 14-year-old boy rather than a wispy shadow of a 10-year-old girl. My daughter cannot nestle into the stock and get a good sight picture due to the large size of the rifle. The short barrel of the gun makes the muzzle blast even more pronounced. The light weight of the gun makes the recoil slightly uncomfortable for me and intolerable for her. In short, she is scared of the gun and cannot use it accurately. I dream of a small, lightweight, short(ish) barreled rifle in a caliber that is just sufficient to take a deer, and is actually sized for a child (think of the Chipmunk rifle here). No one makes one. Wouldn’t a 16”-18” barreled, 8”-10” length of pull, 5lb, bolt-action rifle in 300 Blackout

Buy a Savage or Stevens short action 9 twist 223 and load it with 70 gr semi spitzers then you can change it to whatever you want later as she grows.
Swap stocks to or from a youth stock to Adult, swap barrels in about 5 minutes, triggers, etc.

If you want to go to 300 blk, Shaw is making SS 300 blk savage barrels. Dont think they are available yet though.

I found a guy on a 300 blk forum that was selling Savage 300 blk barrels and had one in stock.

Ejection is a problem on the Savage type actions.  The plunger-type ejector tends to dump the short little case in the front of the action as soon and the case mouth clears the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#6]
FAIL

I have had 3 223 Savages and never had any ejection problems.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ejection is a problem on the Savage type actions.  The plunger-type ejector tends to dump the short little case in the front of the action as soon and the case mouth clears the chamber.

Savage Dced their 300 blk attempt due to accuracy problems. (I'll leave it at that.)
Oh, .223s are not legal in all states.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#8]

CZ 527 for tha win....

Not gonna beat it.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Nothing wrong with Savage rifles.
I had one Savage 223 that shot 3/8" groups out of the box with the right hand loads.
Another 6mmBR with a midway Shilen barrel, in a choate stock, nothing special, that would shoot 3/4" at 300 yards when I did my part.

AFAIK a 223 is legal in Idaho where the OP is from.

CZ is a great rifle, I just like the versatility of Savages.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with Savage rifles.
I had one Savage 223 that shot 3/8" groups out of the box with the right hand loads.
Another 6mmBR with a midway Shilen barrel, in a choate stock, nothing special, that would shoot 3/4" at 300 yards when I did my part.

AFAIK a 223 is legal in Idaho where the OP is from.

CZ is a great rifle, I just like the versatility of Savages.

No doubt.....with a long action savage you can build almost anything under the sun....

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#11]
LOL - Yes.

I have a Flat back SS long Action CF with a SSS trigger that has been everything from a 270, 308, 30-06, 338-06, 338 WM, 375 ruger 458 winmag plus a few more.
Perfect for me because I can never figure out which Caliber I like.
Right now it lives as a 21" barreled 338-06.

You can always scud it if you want.

Thinking about having a 25-223 barrel made for my short action.

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FAIL

I have had 3 223 Savages and never had any ejection problems.

FAIL back at you!

I also have a .223 Savage.  The problem is with the case LENGTH not diameter.  The issue first came to light with the .221 Fireball and the fact that it is too short such that when the case mouth clears the chamber, the short case allows the case to move to enough of an angle when pushed by the ejector that the extractor loses its hold on the rim and the case stays in the action.  Savage apparently addressed this specific to the rifles that they made in .300BLK but the .223 and .204 chambered rifles have not received such attention and efforts to convert them to .300BLK has been unsuccessful as a result.  The rifles that you see around in .221 Fireball, .17 Mach IV and other super short cases built on Savage actions are almost always single shot with a follower and have the ejector removed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Whatever
All I can say is out of 3 223 Savage rifles I have never had any ejection problems at all.

Now when you go to 6mm BR with the normal plunger then yes.

The 221 fireball is a much shorter case than 223.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Whatever
All I can say is out of 3 223 Savage rifles I have never had any ejection problems at all

Now when you go to 6mm BR with the normal plunger then yes

The issue isn't with the .223 and that isn't what we're talking about anyway so why the attitude?  No one ever said that the .223 had an issue and that's because it doesn't.  The significantly shorter cases, you know the ones we are talking about, are where the problem lies.

My 2 Savage .243s don't have ejection issues either.  Neither does my .308 or .17HMR.  Of course none of those are .223 rifles converted to a shortened cartridge like the .300BLK, but since we're talking about irrelevant stuff, who cares?
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry - I misread.

I see you were more referencing the 300 blk not ejecting properly.

I did suggest that the OP buy a Savage 223 to start so thought you were talking about that.
Its about his small 10YO daughter needing a rifle with little recoil and I think he did mention 223 and its legal in ID.
Thought it would be appropriate since he could swap barrels and stocks later, IE start with a youth stock..

I thought about trying a 300 blk on a savage action but dropped the idea, so now definitely no.
Might do a 25-223 though.

Did you ever try extending the plunger on the 300 blk on a savage ??
Thats assuming you had one set up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Savage Dced their 300 blk attempt due to accuracy problems. (I'll leave it at that.)
Oh, .223s are not legal in all states.

Subsonic accuracy was not up to the standards. However Savage was using a 1:10 twist.  With a 1:8 or 1:7 subsonic accuracy improves quite a bit.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top