Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
1/14/2017 8:11:35 PM
Posted: 7/23/2012 12:01:32 PM EST
I am poised to acquire a .308. The selection is obviously large. I recall that the DPMS M-4 flat-top type received rave reviews when introduced. After these years, has the opinions stayed high ? Any comments or suggestions ?
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 1:27:58 PM EST
People that owns Cadillacs,Lexus, and Porsches tends to look down on Chevy's. DPMS are the Chevy's of the AR 308 world. Most people that owns DPMS's are happy with them. For a range, hunting gun they are fine. Duty and competitions I would spend more and look at La Rue and LMT's.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 1:36:12 PM EST
DPMS actually makes some pretty nice AR10's
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 2:11:15 PM EST
Right out of the box, my DPMS LR-308 Sportical shot 1.25" groups with the cheapest Federal ammo I could get. With hand loads I have it down to 5/8". From a bare stock 16" bbl. The only mod I did was the 15 minute trigger job to eliminate the trigger slack.

Came with two 20 round (not the 19 round) mags. One hell of a rifle albiet a bit heavy for a carbine configuration.

No complaints from me.
MLG
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:02:25 PM EST
I have my eyes on the DPMS AP4 - fixed front sight, removable carry handle, m4 profile barrel, collapsable stock, free float barrel...

Also the 'Compact Hunter ' looks good to me..

Brian
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 4:15:32 AM EST
Great comments gentlemen. The LMT sure is appealing, but the price differential will undoubtedly steer me to DPMS.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 11:07:10 AM EST
I built a lr-308/ap4 DPMS at the beginning of the year. All the parts are DPMS but a mixture of the 2 rifles. Very tight groups with a 18" bull barrel.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 3:30:49 AM EST
If you go with DPMS, get your order in and wait like the rest of us. It takes awhile.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 4:13:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By northpark:

AR10's are Armalites.

Like mine

TXL
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 9:02:14 AM EST

DPMS has never made the AR-10, they make the LR-308. ArmaLite makes the AR-10. DPMS makes a good shooting .308 AR but they do take some cost cutting short cuts such as extruded upper, AR15 size RE and buffers on some models.

Link Posted: 7/25/2012 1:58:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2012 2:08:47 PM EST by WhatsThatSmell]
I have an AP4 that came with the quad rail and the detachable rear block sight.

I've been VERY happy with mine.

It's not the 24" Stainless Fluted Bull that I wanted, but this was already threaded, not to mention that I couldn't imagine a 32" suppressed package.

I like the fact that it takes Pmags and AR15 triggers/components.

Simmons 3x9x50
ARMS scope mount
RRA NM 2 Stage Trigger
UTG rail covers
Winchester Bipod
Walmart Sling

Gets the job done

~WTS

****DON'T KNOW WHY THIS PIC IS LOADING VERTICALLY, I'VE TRIED TO FIX IT MANY TIMES...WTFE.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 9:05:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By madcratebuilder:

DPMS has never made the AR-10, they make the LR-308. ArmaLite makes the AR-10. DPMS makes a good shooting .308 AR but they do take some cost cutting short cuts such as extruded upper, AR15 size RE and buffers on some models.

All .308 AR pattern rifles are generally regarded as AR-10s just as all 5.56 ARs are AR-15s. Whether its a Coke or a Pepsi its still a damn cola! Nobody likes a smart aleck!
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 10:10:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/29/2012 11:49:45 AM EST by TREADMARKS]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:

All .308 AR pattern rifles are generally regarded as AR-10s just as all 5.56 ARs are AR-15s. Whether its a Coke or a Pepsi its still a damn cola! Nobody likes a smart aleck!

Wrong.

Not trying to be mean .....but if you are going to educate please do it correctly.

Armalite AR10s are the only AR10s and do not share compatibility with many other models.

AR-10, ArmaLite, the ArmaLite logo, and SPR are registered trademarks of ArmaLite Inc.

There is no mil-spec 308 AR as there is AR15 and M16.

AR10 is a 308 AR but 308 AR is not an AR10.

A 308 AR is the name of the class of weapon and within the class there are Armalite AR 10s and DPMS is LR308 and DPMS SASS and Stoner is SR25 and there is LMT 308 and MEGA ARMS MATEN, CMMG 308AR, bla bla bla.

To stumble through life choosing not to believe the facts is just plain ignorant.

To challenge others on it is just plain juvenile.

Link Posted: 7/29/2012 3:27:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/29/2012 3:34:02 PM EST by motoguy]

As mentioned above, this is not true and does not apply to the 308 AR platform. Here is an example of why it's necessary to differentiate between a DPMS pattern 308AR, and an Armalite pattern 308AR (AR10):

Armalite (B series, or "original" modern production AR10) uses proprietary M14 based mags:

DPMS uses the DPMS pattern 308 mag (think, Pmag):

The machining on the upper and lower is different for the two mag styles, meaning they are not interchangeable.

Notice the Rock River 308 AR uses FAL mags:

Another thing to be concerned with.

Unlike the standardized AR15 field, the AR10 field is still VERY much platform specific (though it seems to be heading towards a common DPMS-mag compatible homogenization). While I'm not a "terminology nazi" (meaning to me, an AR15 is an AR15, regardless of who made it), the same does not apply to the 308 world. There are some very significant, practical, and real differences one must be aware of, when choosing which 308 AR to buy. Or even more significantly, build.

At least if you buy a complete gun, it's just a matter of choosing the right mags. Buy a RRA lower, an Armalite upper, and a DPMS fire control group, and you may have a bunch of parts that don't work together. Even the DPMS and Armalite barrel extensions are different.

The "all 308 AR's are AR10" crowd can really screw up folks who don't know better, especially if the person who doesn't know better is trying to build.

Link Posted: 7/29/2012 4:08:27 PM EST
As folks are saying here, you could build one and not only get enjoyment out of shooting but putting one together as well. I built mine on the DPMS pattern. I used Fulton Armory upper, bolt carrier group and barrel. It was enjoyable to put together and is a joy to shoot. These can be very accurate guns. I used the Fulton Armory 1/12 twist 20" Criterion heavy barrel. Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 7/29/2012 6:39:36 PM EST
I do, and will continue to refer to .308 caliber AR type rifles as AR10's. It saves me several minutes of explaining what a DIY TM308 is to the uninformed. If the conversations proceeds into the deep grass, I explain the compatibility issues, but it almost never comes to that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:48:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By eodinert:
I do, and will continue to refer to .308 caliber AR type rifles as AR10's. It saves me several minutes of explaining what a DIY TM308 is to the uninformed. If the conversations proceeds into the deep grass, I explain the compatibility issues, but it almost never comes to that.

Same here. If I tell folks that ask about my gun that it's a DPMS LR-series rifle, I typically get the perplexed look. If I tell those same folks that it's an AR10, more often than not I get the "ah, now I know what you're talking about" look. If they ask further I'll explain that it's the DPMS flavor, but like eodinert wrote, rarely do folks ask.

To answer the original question, it's hard to beat the DPMS LR series guns for the price. They come in a wide array of configurations, and most aftermarket manufacturers make parts or doodads for them. Buy one, shoot the dog crap out of it, and if you decide that it's your equipment that's holding you back, you won't have any trouble selling it for a reasonable amount to put toward one of the high dollar AR10 type guns such as an LMT or Larue. I have nothing against Armalite or RRA; just no experience with them.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:58:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By Scott_S:
I do, and will continue to refer to .308 caliber AR type rifles as AR10's.

Same here.

I just don't understand why anyone believes that they have to lie about it.....I mean......not tell the truth about it.

If you tell them 308 AR, then you would be telling the truth. Is that so hard?

Maybe folks that don't own an AR10, likes to pretend they do? Is that it? What else could it be, they know the truth, yet they hide it.

To the OP's DPMS thoughts, the DPMS AP4 is kick ass. It is pretty lightweight, hard hitting and fairly accurate as well.

It is too easy to pick them up for about a grand, maybe less on the AR10 side of the EE. (Even though it is a 308 AR not an AR10).

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 3:15:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/30/2012 3:17:11 PM EST by Mavrick]
Originally Posted By DEGOLDCUP:
People that owns Cadillacs,Lexus, and Porsches tends to look down on Chevy's. DPMS are the Chevy's of the AR 308 world. Most people that owns DPMS's are happy with them. For a range, hunting gun they are fine. Duty and competitions I would spend more and look at La Rue and LMT's.

But you can take that Chevy, Dodge or Ford and turn it into one hell of a street rod by changing out parts, which is where a lot of the fun is. Sure you can ride in comfort in the Cadillac, Lexus or Porsches but the you just become a snob.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 4:54:40 PM EST
Like someone else said, lots of dpms owners that are very happy and have stellar results in accuracy.

most people refer to 308 ar platform as ar10. If armalite owners get tight panties over it, who cares? OP, enjoy your AR10 whether it's DPMS or someone else's.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:06:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By RUTGERS95:

most people refer to 308 ar platform as ar10. If armalite owners get tight panties over it, who cares? OP, enjoy your AR10 whether it's DPMS or someone else's.

See, that's just the thing. I'm no Armalite fanboi (bought my LMT and built a MA-TEN vs buying the AR10SASS), but there -are- parts and fitment differences between Armalite AR10, and other 308-based AR rifles. That, to me, is the significant part.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:07:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/30/2012 5:16:34 PM EST by bodybagger]
Originally Posted By TREADMARKS:

Wrong.

Not trying to be mean .....but if you are going to educate please do it correctly.

Armalite AR10s are the only AR10s and do not share compatibility with many other models.

AR-10, ArmaLite, the ArmaLite logo, and SPR are registered trademarks of ArmaLite Inc.

There is no mil-spec 308 AR as there is AR15 and M16.

AR10 is a 308 AR but 308 AR is not an AR10.

A 308 AR is the name of the class of weapon and within the class there are Armalite AR 10s and DPMS is LR308 and DPMS SASS and Stoner is SR25 and there is LMT 308 and MEGA ARMS MATEN, CMMG 308AR, bla bla bla.

To stumble through life choosing not to believe the facts is just plain ignorant.

To challenge others on it is just plain juvenile.

I hate to bust your bubble but there is a Mil-spec AR-10 out there. The one designed by Eugene Stoner in 1957 and used by Sudan, Portugal and several other countries in the 50's and 60's. It uses the original Stoner mag as the the Stoner Sr-25 does now.I think the LMT and the DPMS does too but I'm not passing myself off as an expert. The current production Armalite AR-10(registered trademark) uses a modified M-14 magazine, this is like if a 5.56 caliber AR rifle maker decided to use Mini-14 magazines. If you want to go by the military standard rule, your Armalite that uses modified M-14 mags is not a true AR-10. It is a modification of an AR-10 or a .308 AR as you like to call the imposters. Just because a modern company buys the name and model rights of a defunct product doesn't mean that the product they make is a "true" AR-10 if they drastically change major compenents of the design.
I know that you are a fanboy, but the whole world doesn't turn the opposite direction just for you. Maybe you should stop the name-calling. You may be the juvenile because I remember the "original" AR-10 and owned one of the only "true" copy of it, The Holloway Arms HAC-7 for many years. BTW this was when Numrich was selling the original AR-10 "Waffle" mags for $2.50. I have also shot and handled the "new" Armalite AR-10 and it is not a true AR-10 copy, it is a modified version or a .308 AR.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:17:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/30/2012 5:20:34 PM EST by motoguy]

I hate to bust your bubble but there is a Mil-spec AR-10 out there. The one designed by Eugene Stoner in 1957 and used by Sudan, Portugal and several other countries in the 50's and 60's. It uses the original Stoner mag as the the Stoner Sr-25 does now.I think the LMT and the DPMS does too but I'm not passing myself off as an expert. The current production Armalite AR-10(registered trademark) uses a modified M-14 magazine, this is like if a 5.56 caliber AR rifle maker decided to use Mini-14 magazines. If you want to go by the military standard rule, your Armalite that uses modified M-14 mags is not a true AR-10. It is a modification of an AR-10 or a .308 AR as you like to call the imposters. Just because a modern company buys the name and model rights of a defunct product doesn't mean that the product they make is a "true" AR-10 if they drastically change major compenents of the design.
I know that you are a fanboy, but the whole world doesn't turn the opposite direction just for you. Maybe you should stop the name-calling. You may be the juvenile because I remember the "original" AR-10 and owned one of the only "true" copy of it, The Holloway Arms HAC-7 for many years. BTW this was when Numrich was selling the original AR-10 "Waffle" mags for $2.50. I have also shot and handled the "new" Armalite AR-10 and it is not a true AR-10 copy, it is a modified version or a .308 AR.

Real AR-10s use this mag
http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/magazines/waffle_left_right_closeup_buddy.jpg

FWIW, Armalite now makes the AR10A series, which uses the Stoner / SR25 / DPMS pattern mags.

http://www.armalite.com/Categories.aspx?Category=594408c2-b03e-4c8b-8713-83959df8252d

Truthfully, had the AR10A SASS been around at the time, I would have bought it instead of building my MA-TEN. I wanted another high-quality AR that used the same mags as my LMT MWS.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:00:26 PM EST
Motoguy I was not aware of the A1 version by Armalite. Now they have an AR-10 by the military standard. I don't know why all the hair splitting. I have an actual Colt Single Action Army. I don't go around pissing on the parade of every Uberti or Cimmaron owner who says they have a Single Action Army because mine has a little pony on it and the pony people own the trademark Single Action Army. Get real people!
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:14:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/30/2012 6:18:47 PM EST by TREADMARKS]
Too funny!

I am certainly not name calling. I am a fan of all mag fed 308s. 308 ARs and their ancestors like the antiquated AR10, by Armalite.

I have had 3 originals over the years, and just because 3 countries adopted them, that does not qualify them as current military standard.

The DPMS AP4s that I have fired in recent years far outperforms any original AR10 of the past.

One of the best improvements Armalite has made, and there are many, was to use the modded M14 steel box magazine.

My beef is not with the multitude of 308 AR weapon platforms available.

My beef is when wanna be enthusiasts use incorrect blanket nomenclature as a pathetic attempt to capture some of wow factor that the real AR10 has earned, even when they know the truth is otherwise.

To knowingly lie, for whatever reason or justification you choose, is just plain wrong, period.

I am not going to argue about it as I am man enough to accept the truth as it is and I am also capable enough to accurately inform other enthusiasts.

New fans look up to nice weapons like 308 ARs, that is why they ask the questions.

To blatantly lie to them, and other enthusiasts propagates ignorance and is not fair to them.

All I am asking as that fellow enthusiasts should stop being part of the problem and at least try to be part of the solution.

308 AR.

It is not that hard to help others the right way.

Like I said, I am a fan of all 308 mag fed weapons and can see the good in all of them.

Here are two of my current favorite 308 ARs:

Top is my new favorite beeyatch, a home build DIY DMPS compatible 12" heavy fluted bbl compact POF/Hogan

DPMS, COLT, Magpul, Vltor, Noveski and surefire piston vehicular 308 AR.

My new second favorite is my Armalite AR10, 16 inch bbl, gas operation, Magpul APEX

laser sighted medium sniper rifle.

Both are pretty accurate, but the Armalite has the accuracy edge while the 308 AR has handiness and DPMS compatibility

on it's side.

As you can see, there is no wrong weapon when it comes to 308 ARs, only wrong answers.

Scouts Out.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:51:44 PM EST

laser sighted medium sniper rifle.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:54:19 PM EST
Only one country officially adopted the M-14. Are you suggesting that it isn't a military stamdard? Also the 1903 Springfield. While both rifles were used by other countries they got them from us. By your suggestion, a rifle has to be adopted by a nation to be a military standard. What nation adopted the Ar-10 that uses modified M-14 mags as their standard battle rifle(not a specialty rifle)? I know, NONE! But 3 did adopt the genuine AR-10 decades ago. Now please get over yourself. I will in no way deride the quality of the ner AR-10 but it, despite owning the naming rights, is not a real AR-10 if it doesn't take original AR-10 magazines. If I start making a semi-auto M-14 that uses CETME mags because they are cheaper and more readily available than M-14 mags is that a true M-14?
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:58:04 PM EST
I am just looking at getting in to the ar10/308 ar platform.

I think it is perfectly fine to refer to any 308 ar as an ar 10 when you are talking to the layman on the street.

Once you are posting in a technical forum such as this I think it behooves all of us to use as accurate nomenclature as possible.

Let's say I have been misinformed by inproper nomenclature usage on a forum such as this and I ask a simple question like what part i should get for my ar10 when i really have a dpms pattern 308 ar someone will suggest the wrong part I will order it and it won't fit and i will have either wasted my money be forced to modify the part or waste my time and money returning it.

That all said my thread got little attention and I am still looking for some more info.

The build I am putting together in my head is a nice match barrel and trigger comfy furniture and other parts just need to be affordable and reliable.

I would like to go with something like a tm lower just to get my foot in the door and wondering what my choices would be for a decent match grade maybe 18-20" (affordable doesn't hurt hear either) barrel
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 6:21:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By motoguy:

See, that's just the thing. I'm no Armalite fanboi (bought my LMT and built a MA-TEN vs buying the AR10SASS), but there -are- parts and fitment differences between Armalite AR10, and other 308-based AR rifles. That, to me, is the significant part.

agree but it's just a reference point in the discussion as most people look at 308 ars as ar10s. If being technical like someone said, then you need to be more specific. Then again it doesn't matter as there is no standard to the 308 ar platform so you'd have to be more specific in a technical discussion. I just get a kick out of the guys that get so bent out of shape over something that really is harmless in a conversational setting. What is next, mag vs clip:)
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 7:48:12 AM EST

agree but it's just a reference point in the discussion as most people look at 308 ars as ar10s. If being technical like someone said, then you need to be more specific. Then again it doesn't matter as there is no standard to the 308 ar platform so you'd have to be more specific in a technical discussion. I just get a kick out of the guys that get so bent out of shape over something that really is harmless in a conversational setting. What is next, mag vs clip:)

How about "assault weapon". "Most people" look at our rifles as "assault weapons" so we should just not worry about that harmless term in conversational settings.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 8:09:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By BB:

How about "assault weapon". "Most people" look at our rifles as "assault weapons" so we should just not worry about that harmless term in conversational settings.

how about the EE section here for .308s? I believe it's 'ar-10' and not '308s'....case closed

Link Posted: 7/31/2012 8:47:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By BB:

how about the EE section here for .308s? I believe it's 'ar-10' and not '308s'....case closed

Actually people post in both rifles and AR10s. But thats not the point; the point is, you say its "harmless". It depends on what you deem harmful. Use of "assault weapon" or "automatic weapon" for any mag fed semiauto is harmful to the 2nd amendment to many people. Use of improper terminology like "AR10" to describe any 308 AR, or "platform" to describe a design or weapon system, or "clip" for magazine, will do harm to the impression you present to some people. Arguing against the use of proper terminology does too. Folks make judgments; that's just the way it is.

Link Posted: 7/31/2012 8:55:04 AM EST
whatever you say but when I look to sell or buy something 308, I head to ar-10 section
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 10:17:04 AM EST

One of the best improvements Armalite has made, and there are many, was to use the modded M14 steel box magazine.

If that were true they why did they come out with a completely new gun that accepts the industry standard original AR10/SR25/DPMS mags?

The B is dead long live the A, give it time there will be a standard.
AR10 has always been a nomenclature like xerox and bobcat if you are first to do a thing all else who follow are refered to by the original's name as a nomenclare.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 10:24:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By Carbinekid:

If that were true they why did they come out with a completely new gun that accepts the industry standard original AR10/SR25/DPMS mags?

They did it to sell guns of course. Lots of people have said they'd buy an Armalite if it took PMAGs, so they made it. Its not "completely new"; the only difference is the receivers, everything else is the same.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 10:57:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By BB:

They did it to sell guns of course. Lots of people have said they'd buy an Armalite if it took PMAGs, so they made it. Its not "completely new"; the only difference is the receivers, everything else is the same.

This is the correct answer. They did it to collect on some of those sales they were missing. I'm a prime of example of one of those "would have bought one if it used pmags" guys. Not that pmags are better, but as I already own an LMT MWS, I wanted interchangeable 308 mags.

Link Posted: 7/31/2012 11:23:32 AM EST

No. No they don't. Only Armalite makes AR 10s.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 4:47:19 AM EST
And only colt makes AR15s... but I still call my PWA, RRA, and Cav rifles AR15.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 5:06:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2012 5:06:42 AM EST by BB]

Thats because they are all essentially the same rifle design (standard). Go drop a DPMS upper on a Armalite lower and see how that works for you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 5:56:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2012 6:08:06 AM EST by Camaroecko]
Wow OP, you may as well start a new thread if you want answers. This one has been taken over by the AR-10 police.

I can't believe the insinuation that everyone who refers to their .308 AR as a AR-10 must somehow have black rifle envy.

Let me guess, when you cut your finger open and ask your wife for a band-aid and she hands you a Wal-mart brand you yell "Damn you woman! I asked for a Band-aid, not an adhesive bandage!"
And you throw store brand gelatin against the wall and demand real Jell-o?

If this was a discussion about part funtionality that would be fine.
He was asking whether a DPMS .308 would be a good buy.

I wouldn't be surprised if this entire situation has left a bad taste in someone's mouth that was interested in joining up with us in some recreational shooting.

If you want to be that guy at the range who corrects everyone on their terminology, go do that.
Leave the uninformed to people who actually want to educate, not correct.

It's not like someone ripped the logos off a Toyota and is trying to sell it to you as a Lexus.

Short answer OP: Yes a DPMS pattern .308 AR is a great choice. I have several. I will also plan on buying a LMT MWS and if I found a good deal on an Armalite Ar-10 that took P-mags I would snatch that up too.

Just ignore the people that INSIST you only use correct terminology. They usually (and I say usually, not always) are trying to defend their brand name as the "original" just like the Colt fellas in 5.56
Take it with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 7:39:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By Camaroecko:
Wow OP, you may as well start a new thread if you want answers. This one has been taken over by the AR-10 police.

I can't believe the insinuation that everyone who refers to their .308 AR as a AR-10 must somehow have black rifle envy.

Let me guess, when you cut your finger open and ask your wife for a band-aid and she hands you a Wal-mart brand you yell "Damn you woman! I asked for a Band-aid, not an adhesive bandage!"

I wouldn't be surprised if this entire situation has left a bad taste in someone's mouth that was interested in joining up with us in some recreational shooting.

If you want to be that guy at the range who corrects everyone on their terminology, go do that.

It's not like someone ripped the logos off a Toyota and is trying to sell it to you as a Lexus.

Short answer OP: Yes a DPMS pattern .308 AR is a great choice. I have several. I will also plan on buying a LMT MWS and if I found a good deal on an Armalite Ar-10 that took P-mags I would snatch that up too.

Just ignore the people that INSIST you only use correct terminology. They usually (and I say usually, not always) are trying to defend their brand name as the "original" just like the Colt fellas in 5.56

as I said earlier, this very site refers to all things .308 as AR10. Let me head over to the EE section and look for a 308 in the section marked AR10
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 10:41:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By Camaroecko:

as I said earlier, this very site refers to all things .308 as AR10. Let me head over to the EE section and look for a 308 in the section marked AR10

That's very true. It's listed AR10. Everything AR10 related. Look inside? Well smack my ass there's a LMT, a DPMS and a RRA. Just goe to show that the term is a catch all for the layman. But some people want it ONLY to apply to their rifle. Which is FINE! But if I was a new kid on the block and I started with "which ar-10 should I buy" I shouldn't have to be ridden out of town for it.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 6:08:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/3/2012 6:13:46 AM EST by madcratebuilder]

AR10 has always been a nomenclature like xerox and bobcat if you are first to do a thing all else who follow are refered to by the original's name as a nomenclare.

ArmaLite used the M14 mags because of the AWB that was in effect at the time. The SR-25 magazine is the defacto standard now and ArmaLite was released a new AR-10A that uses the SR-25 mags.

The AR-10B is not dead, there are ten's of thousands of them out there and more to come.

Ar-10 may be uses by the uninformed, but anyone with knowledge of the 7.61 AR platform well use the correct nomenclature. There are too many different platforms with too many incompatible parts. You don't call all double action revolvers Smith and Wesson do you? All Single action revolvers Colt?
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 7:10:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/3/2012 7:13:06 AM EST by chucky888]
Originally Posted By BB:

Thats because they are all essentially the same rifle design (standard). Go drop a DPMS upper on a Armalite lower and see how that works for you.

+1.

What he mean was that DPMS pattern BCG is different than AR-10 BCG in head space. They are NOT interchange-able. It is important to know that in a discuss, not necessary in a causal conversation.

Unlike AR15, you can use any reputible BCG in your upper receiver (but still don't use a piston type BCG, OK)

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 8:35:59 AM EST

ArmaLite used the M14 mags because of the AWB that was in effect at the time. The SR-25 magazine is the defacto standard now and ArmaLite was released a new AR-10A that uses the SR-25 mags.

The AR-10B is not dead, there are ten's of thousands of them out there and more to come.

Ar-10 may be uses by the uninformed, but anyone with knowledge of the 7.61 AR platform well use the correct nomenclature. There are too many different platforms with too many incompatible parts. You don't call all double action revolvers Smith and Wesson do you? All Single action revolvers Colt?

no one is arguing this, what most here are saying is that in discussion and in general, it's ok to refer to 308s as ar10s.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 9:25:10 AM EST
Well, it may come across that some people are real sticker like a "AR-10" police to correct people all the time. In general it is not a big deal. When it come to AR15, I call my POF P415 a AR15. It just take too long to explain to those shotgun and deer rifle folks what piston and DI is...

I used to think that AR10 is a general terms for all 308 AR platform until I build my own. If they are mostly compatible it would NOT be a issue. It is just the upper and lower recevier are different; 45° cut vs round cut and most improtantly the headspace in BCG is incompatible between "AR-10" and all other 308 AR.

Those people who point this out just don't want you to drop a AR-10 bolt group into a DPMS rifle that is all.
Top Top